As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    Daughter was born

Congrats. To quote my best broham - "Babies do two things, get you in trouble and try to kill themselves."
    Don't forget, Paint them selves in poo and or try to piss on you.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Someone go to a GW store and play with the new paints god dammit!

I want to know how awesome/terrible they are.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular

Even if they're amazing the internet will hate them. If I've learnt anything over the years, it's that 'fans' hate everything about the thing they're a fan of. Especially if it's new and/or costs money.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Warhams: a social hobby for the socially awkward.

Lies! it's card games as they usually do not attract things like girls.
    As with Wargames you sadly do get Douches, jerks, constant cheaters, rule laywers, art critics, and the really creepy

Creeper story!
    Some friends and I were playing Shadowrun at a LGS because it had the space we needed to fit everyone since we had a pretty big group. Very cool store, except the 2nd floor where we played had a creepy, bombed-out warehouse feel to it. Our group also had 2 girls in it (holy shit!), both married (one married a transgender male -> female and is my best friend, different story, but hilarious to me). Dude playing Warhams sees we have 2 women with us, leaves his game and just stands in our group, not saying a single word. We look at him, accept he's there and let him be, hoping he'll go back to his game.

He doesn't.

He stands there the whole time we're playing with this big grin on his face, standing next to the two women in our group, constantly giving them the up-down looks when he thinks they're not looking. They start talking about their husband/wife-husband as loud and as obviously as possible to no avail. He just stands there, smiling, checking these two out for 20 minutes not saying a single thing to any of us. I politely ask him to leave since he is obviously making the ladies uncomfortable. He looks at me and goes, "I have a right to be here, you can't make me leave."

I agree that this is a right I do not posses, but insist that he leaves anyway because he's being a creeper. Again he refuses. So, we pack our shit up and leave and he follows us out of the store to the parking lot and acts like he's going to get into my lesbian friend's car with us (I was riding shotgun, he stood next to the back door). She starts yelling at him to go away, he just grins at her like a fucking rapist until the owner comes out and tells him if he doesn't pack his stuff and leave the store, he forfeits his 'Hams to the store and gets banned anyway.

Also, new paints. I hear they're out now if the deluge of GW stuff in my email is to be believed.

AND grats on the future Cannoness, Altmann! See that she venerates the Emperor diligently!

Extreaminatus on
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    You guys should've put your collective boots to his ass.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    The thought crossed our minds, but with me and my lesbian friends being the biggest in the bunch and this guy being 6'3" (we're both a respectable 5'10") and sporting the rape face, it didn't seem terribly feasible. Actually, it was this guy (and having the comic shop being in a shitty, shitty part of town) that got me to go get my concealed permit, so there's that.

There's more to it involving a police officer scaring him down, but I felt that I had talked enough for one post and that the gist of my story got told.

The thought crossed our minds, but with me and my lesbian friends being the biggest in the bunch and this guy being 6'3" (we're both a respectable 5'10") and sporting the rape face, it didn't seem terribly feasible. Actually, it was this guy (and having the comic shop being in a shitty, shitty part of town) that got me to go get my concealed permit, so there's that.

There's more to it involving a police officer scaring him down, but I felt that I had talked enough for one post and that the gist of my story got told.

Could always start it with the great equalizer - The Dick Kick (TM)

If I'm in that situation, I usually do, but thought talking him down would have done the trick.

Also, I was on probation at the time, didn't want aaaaanything to do with getting in trouble.

• Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    My biggest douche story at a gamestore is not near as creepy but still pretty Douchey.

This happened last month in my home towns FLGS they were running a small tournie and since I like all the guys up there I drove up to play. I was playing my all foot slogging ork army for the first time and doing really well (ended up taking second place). So my third game pops up and it's against this Dark Eldar player, I should add he and I haven't gotten along since he crashed on my couch for awhile and douched it up there. We start the game and he goes to roll for his combat drugs or whatever evil pain sex thing Dark Eldar do at the beginning of the game. I had my hands in my pockets and I see the die about to roll off the table. Just reacting I put my leg against the table to stop it from rolling off (mind you no evil plan here just reaction) it lands on a 1. The Guy starts Freaking out screaming at me for stopping the die saying I did it on purpose and that it was all a plan and I was being a huge douche. He freaked for about 4 minutes calling me an asshole and raging about me purposefully making it roll a one.

At this point the whole store has stopped playing and is looking at him as he screams that I am a douche, raging asshole and sabotaged him. A few people tried to calm him down and say to just deal with it and play and that it was not a conspiracy against his army. His friend there even said that had the die rolled a 6 he wouldn't have had a problem with it. The TO eventually said that it was in play and for us to just go. He calmed down right as I was about to pack up and forfeit the game but kept muttering how I was a douche under his breath. My army tabled his third turn for a sweet victory.

Man, in that situation, I would have just told him to re-roll it since it was gonna go off the table anyway.

No need for all that kind of hubbub.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Something tells me that would've happened if he didn't get his jimmies rustled over all of that and threw a douchefit.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular

I know Warseer is hardly a great reference, but the initial reviews are surprisingly positive (especially considering that it's Warseer).

I'll probably pick some up once I see an actual review with pictures, but the general consensus is that they afford a ton of options in terms of quick and original color schemes. Someone had even mentioned using the drybrush white over black primer, then a red wash and it worked surprisingly well. Shit like that sounds like anathema to me, knowing GW products, so I'm kind of curious to see.

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I went to play with the paints today. The store only had like 20 unique pots, and only 1 of those was a glaze, which wasn't blue, so you couldn't even duplicate the Ultramarine example from the pamphlet. The Base colors were really nice. The Dry I had no idea how to use properly. They were literally like the consistency of very cold high quality ice cream. Same sorta stickiness and resiliency. I tried to brush straight from the pot and got paint everywhere. :P The Shade and Glaze seemed to behave as advertized, although I didn't get to use the Glaze myself, and the Shade coulda flowed into the corners a bit more, but it didn't create the dreaded paint rings on the shoulder pad or leg armor of the marine, so that's good. The 2 blue Layers I used were unimpressive from the pot, and didn't seem to thin super well, but I didn't play with them for all that long.

tl;dr: Foundations and Washes still seem to be the sweet spots.

Edit: The white over black didn't work nearly as well for me as other people have been saying. At least 2 coats for good coverage, if not more.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Washes still as good as the old Badab Black, etc Washes?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    Seemed to be. I only painted one mini and was doing it quickly. Was there with the SO and she used Nuln Oil over Mephiston Red (limited color selection) and I did the "recommended" Drakenhof Nightshade over Macragge Blue and both turned out well with one pass of the wash although they coulda used a little more thinner/surfactant.

why are you smelling it?
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    skarsol wrote: »
    The Dry I had no idea how to use properly. They were literally like the consistency of very cold high quality ice cream. Same sorta stickiness and resiliency. I tried to brush straight from the pot and got paint everywhere. :P

You should have tried drybrushing with the dry paint that seemed to be a thick consistency, a good consistency for drybrushing.

I guess what I'm saying is the Dry paints are for drybrushing.

-Loki- wrote: »
    The Dry I had no idea how to use properly. They were literally like the consistency of very cold high quality ice cream. Same sorta stickiness and resiliency. I tried to brush straight from the pot and got paint everywhere. :P

You should have tried drybrushing with the dry paint that seemed to be a thick consistency, a good consistency for drybrushing.

I guess what I'm saying is the Dry paints are for drybrushing.

Yeah, I did that. It was advertized as usable straight from the pot, so that's what I tried. It failed miserably. Normal drybrush procedure of getting paint out then wiping most of it off on a paper towel worked fine, but in that case, why bother labeling it differently. I was trying to use the paints in the way they were advertized as being usable. :)

why are you smelling it?
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The consistency and useability from the pot doesn't change the technique :P

Just because you can paint right from the pot, you wouldn't try doing eyes with a tank brush, for example.

-Loki- on
    Again, I was just doing what the redshirt said to do with the fancy new paints. :) First impressions were asked for, I gave them. This was also all done with a single brush, since that's all we were alotted. :P

why are you smelling it?
    Again, I was just doing what the redshirt said to do with the fancy new paints. :)

Well, that's why it didn't work then. Never listen to redshirts.

Harry dropped a rumour. Autumn of Fliers now.
    At the risk of getting the cr@p kicked out of me ..... (after the whole "summer of fliers" thing)
    I have heard scraps that suggest there may well be something going on with 'fliers'.

I have heard some snippets about :

a) A kit for a SM flier called a "Storm Hawk"
    b) An Ork fighter kit (might have been a fighter/bomber?)
    and
    c) A 'fliers' supplement. (...as the first supplement to 6th Edition).

Now you have to remember I don't know so much about 40K OR follow 40K rumorz.
    So .... I don't know:

a) If you have heard this already?
    b) What I am talking about!

When I hear 40K stuff it really doesn't mean that much to me?
    So I tried the google 'Storm Hawk' and found this:
    (No idea of the original source ... I am sure someone hear will know if it was in a GW publication originally)

"The Storm Hawk is a smaller, more agile transport from the same design lineage as the Storm Bird. Used extensively for small operations, as the Heresy progressed much of the STC data to build the Storm Hawk was lost although the Mechanicum have kept copies so that if it were to fall completely out of service a variant could be reintroduced at a later date."

PLEASE REMEMBER THESE IS JUST RUMORZ

I have based this on the smallest scraps of information, from different places.
    It is possible I have been mislead or I have put two and two together and come up with complete bobbins

I wonder if Gaunts can be fliers if they get thrown by Carnifexen?

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    aDTno.jpg

Slowly working away at the Tyranids. Dakkafex and additional Hive Guard done, now to get the Hive Tyrant done. Kind of concerned I didn't stock up on enough Gryphonne Sepia, going to have to buy the new version to see how close it matches.

• Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Was going to post in the vassal thread but im not sure anyone would read it there, anyone up for a teaching game or two of 40k over vassal sometime in the next week? I picked up some cheap marines forever ago and am now working on the horribly long process of stripping 50 or so marines to repaint as Bloos Angels and figure I might as well try to learn on vassal while i get my stuff ready.

steam_sig.png
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I want to play vassal right now actually... so yeah.

It REALLY helps to use ventrilo or something to talk so rules can be explained and clarified.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Was going to post in the vassal thread but im not sure anyone would read it there, anyone up for a teaching game or two of 40k over vassal sometime in the next week? I picked up some cheap marines forever ago and am now working on the horribly long process of stripping 50 or so marines to repaint as Bloos Angels and figure I might as well try to learn on vassal while i get my stuff ready.

Did you say "Blues Angels?"

blues_brothers_jake_blues_sees_the_light.png

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Ive got teamspeak and skype and i might still have vent kicking around here somewhere. Wanna say about ten minutes?

steam_sig.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »
    Slowly working away at the Tyranids. Dakkafex and additional Hive Guard done, now to get the Hive Tyrant done. Kind of concerned I didn't stock up on enough Gryphonne Sepia, going to have to buy the new version to see how close it matches.

Looking good!

About the new paints, I highly doubt they would change anything about the washes and foundations. They are too new and perfect to really be fucked with. Any of the old paints though... I am curious if there will be any large differences.

Well damn. Looks like I'm gonna have to strip all my mans and start over.

• altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Ive got teamspeak and skype and i might still have vent kicking around here somewhere. Wanna say about ten minutes?

im on but i have a baby todeal with as well

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    altmann wrote: »

im on but i have a baby todeal with as well

Alright thats no worries, Ill jump right on.

steam_sig.png
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    You guys should've put your collective boots to his ass.

Over 6 feet tall? Probably not in any kind of shape? Go for the knees. Nerds have terrible knees.

• Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    ...This happened last month in my home towns FLGS they were running a small tournie and since I like all the guys up there I drove up to play.

...I should add he and I haven't gotten along since he crashed on my couch for awhile and douched it up there.

There is just something wrong with the above two sentences.
    I think I know who this is....

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    A Necron Monolith moves up to a Close Combat. Uses it's Eternity Gate as a Portal of Exile. 'Fires' the weapon and scores six inches. Can it hit the Close Combat and only effect Enemy models?!

Does it require a target?
    Does it only affect enemy models?
    Is it in the FAQ?
    How does your gaming group personally feel?

Don't have the book handy but I'm pretty sure it doesn't require a target. To me that means it's like placing a blast template without needing to put it over someone, which means I can definitely hit people in combat. If it affects everyone than you can't let it overlap your own mans, if it only affects enemies then you can.

I don't remember if they FAQ'd it. As far as I'm aware there is no 100% concrete ruling so it really comes down to your gaming group and how you argue it.

It does not target anything. There is no roll to hit required. The weapon type is: "Special" It simply effects models within D6 inches of the door.
    It is NOT in the F.A.Q.
    It does not allow saves of ANY kind! Simply a Strength Test.
    A Necron player says it CAN 'fire' into Close Combat and DOES NOT effect friendly models!

WTF!?

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
    edited March 2012
    Is it just a line template or what? Or does it affect every enemy within 6" of the gate?

SJ on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    Is it just a line template or what? Or does it affect every enemy within 6" of the gate?
    Every enemy within D6" who has LoS to the gate.
    I think that last stipulation kills the CC vacuum thing; do models in combat have LoS to anything at all?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Wow. Someone on Dakka is actually trying to argue that due to how SitW was reworded in the FAQ, it adds 1D6 to your psychic test, cumulative for every model that causes SitW in range.

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    SJ wrote: »
    Every enemy within D6" who has LoS to the gate.
    I think that last stipulation kills the CC vacuum thing; do models in combat have LoS to anything at all?

Being in combat has nothing to do with LoS (outside of the obvious 'these dudes are in my face and blocking LoS'), so it will still affect them.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Wow. Someone on Dakka is actually trying to argue that due to how SitW was reworded in the FAQ, it adds 1D6 to your psychic test, cumulative for every model that causes SitW in range.

In fairness Choir used to work that way

Sooooooooooo maybe?

Honestly I'd be pretty okay with it, short of podding a bunch of Zoeys on top of a librarian it's not super-super viable anyway.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular

I'm tempted to go into that thread and say that because it says "A tyranid" singular that means there's no penalty at all if you're in range of 2 or more because 2 or more isn't "A" creature. But I think they'd ban me for trolling.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
This discussion has been closed.