As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I wonder if [chat] remembers me

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    My take on Hunger Games = don't watch it if you are a surly 30 year old man.

Otherwise it is pretty good for what it is supposed to be.

... WHY CAN'T I WATCH THIS MOVIE?!?!

Just trust that I am looking out for your best interests.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Oh, and that new "Famous people discover their ancestors" show can suck it, too. Congratulations, you've turne US Weekly into a fucking prime time series. Die.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    At the risk of seeming like a bloodthirsty monster, I do have trouble seeing how the director of the Hunger Games could adequately convey the inhumanity of the sport while also cutting away from every death scene.

And generally speaking, I feel like stylized, bloodless killing does a lot more to glorify violence than R-rated gore does.

There are a few that do not cut away.

You never see weapon penetration.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Gah!

Aftermarket car part companies are making me angry.

All the the reasonably priced exhaust systems for my car have "Burnt Titanium" tips. I think they looks stupid and would prefer a nice polished finish.

Are they welded on? Or bolt-on tips? Bolt-on are easy to replace. So are welded on really, if you have an angle grinder with a metal cutoff wheel.

Welded on. They are catback performance exhausts.

6888724577_479da2c525_b.jpg

Yuck!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

My dad, who I regularly go to hard-R horror films and who is looking forward to Lock Out, enjoyed the movie a fair amount.

So who knows!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Gah!

All the the reasonably priced exhaust systems for my car have "Burnt Titanium" tips. I think they looks stupid and would prefer a nice polished finish.

Are they welded on? Or bolt-on tips? Bolt-on are easy to replace. So are welded on really, if you have an angle grinder with a metal cutoff wheel.

Yuck!

Depending on the diameter, you can probably find a bolt-on chrome tip that would go over them. Otherwise, a half hour with some 220 grit sandpaper would at least get rid of the "burnt" look.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Wash wrote: »
    At the risk of seeming like a bloodthirsty monster, I do have trouble seeing how the director of the Hunger Games could adequately convey the inhumanity of the sport while also cutting away from every death scene.

And generally speaking, I feel like stylized, bloodless killing does a lot more to glorify violence than R-rated gore does.

mild movie spoilers
    You certainly see a kid take an arrow to the chest. You see a kid remove a spear from their chest. You see a kid get his neck snapped
    I'd argue that the first one counts as penetration and are horrible regardless of "weapon penetration"

Not to mention the countless quick cuts of slashing and blood splatter.

I don't get the "not violent enough" angle some people are taking with their arguments.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012

My dad, who I regularly go to hard-R horror films and who is looking forward to Lock Out, enjoyed the movie a fair amount.

So who knows!

I know. I just laid out a mandate for surly 30 year olds!

You think just anyone can write such commanding statements on the internet? Come on!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Gah!

Yuck!

Depending on the diameter, you can probably find a bolt-on chrome tip that would go over them. Otherwise, a half hour with some 220 grit sandpaper would at least get rid of the "burnt" look.

Hmmm...

Sand off the crappy looks part, and then bust out the metal polish to give it a nice finish. It is 304 stainless after all.

That could work!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I will revise my opinion on The Hunger games:

It's not a bad movie. There's certainly parts worth enjoying and my dad enjoyed it a lot.

I, however, was pretty disappointed with it.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Yeah, the TV marketing shot for broad appeal to net as many young men and adults as they could. The social network marketing, of which there was an astonishing amount, went right for young women and focused mostly on raising awareness that the movie based on the book they loved was coming soon. And the book was most certainly written for young women.

Really? It was "most certainly written for young women"?

Based on what?

I mean, what does that even mean?

Half of the second book is spent
    with the main character in a cave or a tree or a tent agonizing over her feelings regarding a love triangle.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

So who knows!

You think just anyone can write such commanding statements on the internet? Come on!
    fisticuffs, sir!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    I will revise my opinion on The Hunger games:

It's not a bad movie. There's certainly parts worth enjoying and my dad enjoyed it a lot.

I, however, was pretty disappointed with it.

I didn't know you were a surly 30yo man Winky.

Steam
  • Options
    I liked the movie. I liked the book, too. Wasn't exactly "excited" about either, but they weren't bad. Biggest criticism about the film, after having read the novel, is the amount of character development they cut out once the games got started.

Biggest criticism about the film without considering the novel is how rushed the ending felt. The action was suitable for the rating they needed, no complaints there. It did run a bit long, though.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

mild movie spoilers
    You certainly see a kid take an arrow to the chest. You see a kid remove a spear from their chest. You see a kid get his neck snapped
    I'd argue that the first one counts as penetration and are horrible regardless of "weapon penetration"

I don't get the "not violent enough" angle some people are taking with their arguments.

I was going to go see the hunger games

but then i took an arrow to the knee.

Hi, chat.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, the TV marketing shot for broad appeal to net as many young men and adults as they could. The social network marketing, of which there was an astonishing amount, went right for young women and focused mostly on raising awareness that the movie based on the book they loved was coming soon. And the book was most certainly written for young women.

Based on what?

with the main character in a cave or a tree or a tent agonizing over her feelings regarding a love triangle.

And?

Not that that is a fair description of the second book, really, but even if it were, you haven't proven that "the book was most certainly written for young women."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I am giggling here Feral

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

So who knows!

fisticuffs, sir!

Fight? In my $2000 dollar scrubs? Pffft!

(It was a very nice young adults movie made for young adults and done well. No shame in enjoying it. Unless you are me. Because I just wanted to see Woody and Sutherland drink scotch and yell at the kids to suck it up.)

• Options

Based on what?

And that
    She doesn't want to be in a relationship with either of them and why can't they just be friends arghagahagh.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ok my brain is going to explode

bye

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i hate movies with kissing in them

hardcore fucking or get out

no middle ground

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I am bad at realising when I am spoilering stuff.

Fortunately I rarely consume media anywhere near its release date.

• Options

mild movie spoilers

I'm not taking the "not violent enough" angle - I've repeatedly stated my views regarding the violence in the movie. But regarding your spoiler.
    You don't see Rue pull the spear out of her. The camera is still in the process of tilting down while she pulls it out, by the time the camera stops on her holding the spear it has already been removed from her body. There's a quick cut to Katniss's reaction as that kid hurls the spear and she fires her arrow - again, we do not see penetration, we cut back to it.

We do see a kid get his neck snapped, but there's no blood, so I wouldn't pool it with bloody, penetrating acts of violence. Blood and penetration are more a problem for ratings.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

So who knows!

fisticuffs, sir!

(It was a very nice young adults movie made for young adults and done well. No shame in enjoying it. Unless you are me. Because I just wanted to see Woody and Sutherland drink scotch and yell at the kids to suck it up.)
    Woody's character is much more of a douche in the books.

They toned him down a good bit for the movie, sadly. :(

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options

Based on what?

And that
    She doesn't want to be in a relationship with either of them and why can't they just be friends arghagahagh.

I never read the books.

And after reading those spoilers, I never will.

Why can't we all just read books that don't suck moose balls? arghagahagh.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Based on what?

And that

It is all so girly that I cannot comprehend anyone rejecting that conclusion. I don't care how subversive you want to be or how much you want to tear down gender stereotypes or whatever. That is some girl shit plain and simple. No man on earth is going to be riveted by the girliest girl drama to ever be girled in a girl book.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned, they filmed the violence intelligently. The visuals register as more violent than they actually are.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

Based on what?

And that

I never read the books.

And after reading those spoilers, I never will.

Why can't we all just read books that don't suck moose balls? arghagahagh.
    Hah. DK's version of that "scene" and the length it runs is wildly mischaracterized by his post. :P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I am giggling here Feral

You know what they call The Hunger Games in France?

Battle Royale with Cheese

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I am giggling here Feral

tumblr_m00bz4vifl1qj8quko1_500.png

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Based on what?

And?

Not that that is a fair description of the second book, really, but even if it were, you haven't proven that "the book was most certainly written for young women."

I really don't give a shit about the Hunger Games but this is the second time I've seen this particular slapfight in chat.

And once again it hinges on the fact that "the book / whatever was largely enjoyed by young women" is not the same thing as "the book was written for young women".

At least slap the right opponent here Drez.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

So who knows!

fisticuffs, sir!

Woody's character is much more of a douche in the books.

They toned him down a good bit for the movie, sadly. :(
    He did seem to warm up to the kids a little quickly considering his demeanor when they first meet.

I mean he looks like he has been consulting for some time now, I would think he would be way more jaded.

• Options
    I am giggling here Feral

:^:

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder who Marsellus was bringing the second coffee for

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I am giggling here Feral

OMG!

You owe my company a new keyboard because the one I was using now has soda all over it.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options

Mia obvs.

Steam
  • Options

Dude is a pimp and needs 2 to keep himself running at peak pimpness.

• Options

Mia obvs.

Or maybe Vincent back in the apartment.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

the briefcase

• Options

Mia obvs.

Or maybe Vincent back in the apartment.

This is also a possibility.

Steam
This discussion has been closed.