As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] Interactive Fiction Enthusiasts?

gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
This is my first time going to PAX, and I was hoping to see something on interactive fiction (IF) in the program. IF is one of my favorite types of game--everything from the old infocom adventures to visual novels to multimedia games that are text/parser heavy. I have even started to develop an idea for a game (now learning Inform 7 in the hopes to getting something done in time for the annual interactive fiction competition). Is anyone else still interested in IF? I would really like to meet others who are enthusiastic about playing/creating this type of game.

gonexall on

• Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    Too bad you didn't go two years ago. The guy who made the "Get Lamp" documentary was there. I can't say the film was spectacular, but there was a noticeable IF presence.

I'm not sure I'd call myself an Enthusiast as my interest waxes and wanes over the years, but I've been playing Infocom games since they came out and I'll be around.

• Options
    Magpie MaydinMagpie Maydin Magpie Maydin RuneterraRegistered User regular
    So... for us playing along at home... is I.F. like alternate reality games? LARPing? (Live Action Role Playing)

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    You can always see the Wikipedia entry, but basically text adventure games.

Last year there was an IF mini-con for the Boston group in the Westin next to the convention center last year, but they don't seem to be repeating that going by their website.

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    I believe that the Parsely games would be of interest to you. Check the schedule and search for "parsely". The games are described as being "live-action text adventure games from the creator of Action Castle." Which sounds like exactly what you're looking for. I hope to go to either Jungle Adventure or Z-Ward, both on Sunday.

These are, of course, games, rather than panels, however I'm sure you'll find lots of people there who are interested there.

• Options
    bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    gonexall wrote:
    This is my first time going to PAX, and I was hoping to see something on interactive fiction (IF) in the program. IF is one of my favorite types of game--everything from the old infocom adventures to visual novels to multimedia games that are text/parser heavy. I have even started to develop an idea for a game (now learning Inform 7 in the hopes to getting something done in time for the annual interactive fiction competition). Is anyone else still interested in IF? I would really like to meet others who are enthusiastic about playing/creating this type of game.

Man - This. I love interactive fiction. Zork...oh man. I just looked up Inform 7. Looks pretty neat. Last summer I went spent a pretty slow week going through http://learnpythonthehardway.org/. Basically a bunch of Python tutorials, but it culminates with the creation of a basic IF game. Lots of fun if you're into that thing. PM me if you're interested in discussing design ideas.

Edit - typos

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Thanks, KoalaBro2--these look awesome! Making plans to be at Jungle Adventure, since I made a newbie mistake of booking a 6:30 departing flight Sunday evening (it pains me so...).

Bushnvrn, it would be great to talk design, especially with a real programmer. I am more a geek writer with a rudimentary grasp of programming--lot of ideas I have no idea how to implement. I'll PM and we can seworksheet can find a time that works to hang out and discuss, perhaps over one the required breaks from PAX for nourishment. Anyone else interested, post here.