As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Invisible animals are biting me!

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Me and my wife bought a brand new couch a couple of months ago. But, ever since we bought it I've felt something biting my legs, I thought it was just me but my wife recently pointed out that she also feels something biting her lets.

The weird thing is that we can never see any insects when we feel the bite, they also don't leave any mark.

Anyone know what this could be? Again, this is a brand new couch!

MagicToaster on

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    What kind of material is it made with, and what are the cushions stuffed with?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    When I was working with ISU's insect clinic, I learned that somewhere around 90% of "bug bites" weren't bugs at all. See delusional parasitosis. That's not to say that there isn't something about the couch that is causing irritation. It could be the fabric, or maybe the stain resistant spray or something.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I'm kind of skeptical that there are actual bugs in your furniture; you should be able to see them if they're there, and they should be leaving pretty obvious bite marks.

Try probing the couch with the back of your hand(s) in the areas that have been irritating your legs, See if you get the same sensation. If you do, comb through the fabric just a bit with your fingernails and see if you find any bits of grit or, indeed, any bugs.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Perhaps it's the fabric, I didn't think it could be anything else other than small bugs.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I get this feeling with down cushioning. The pieces of the feather irritate my skin something fierce.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    Ever since I had a bed bug scare, I have an irrational fear that any insect bite is the harbinger of their return. Furniture is notorious for being bought used, they clean it up and re-upholster it and sell it new.

If you don't have any actual, visible bug bites, it's probably either the stuffing, or someone screwed up when they upholstered the thing and there may be a row of staples that come out at leg level. Try running your hand carefully along the area that's biting you to see if the staples are hidden by the stuffing/cloth.

Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.