As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I wonder if [chat] remembers me

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    haha, thom, that's awesome

_J_: A problem I have on the internet is that I've been told by many people that my dickish-ness is rather charming. However, this is in personal conversations where the whole network of significations can tell the listener/viewer that, while I'm being a dick, I both know I am and still care about your feelings.

It's much harder to convey through text alone. Like, I think that most [chat]ters who've been here a while know that even when I'm being a dick it's in any way aggressive or vitriolic, but I try to watch it in other threads.

Tone is excessively hard to express over the internet.

I get the impression that often people miss my subtle, nuanced, and expertly crafted tongue-in-cheek humor.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    DK just scored a 100 pt. word.

That's because he's using a Scrabble solver.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    also, [chat], what are your favorite jokes. As in, straight up setting up a punchline jokes

Two drunks walk into a bar. The first drunk says to the second drunk, "The winds on the second floor here are so strong a man can fly." The second drunk gives him a look and demands he prove it. So they go up stairs and the first drunk steps out of the window and hovers in the air before stepping back in. The second guy gets really excited, steps out the window and promptly falls and breaks his leg. As the first drunk is walking out the door, the bartender turns to him and says "You're a mean drunk Superman".

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    also, [chat], what are your favorite jokes. As in, straight up setting up a punchline jokes

I wish I could think of some right now.

I do like 'where did napolean keep his armies?' 'in his sleevies'

edit - I'm aware this is terrible

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I get the impression a lot of the time that you all take what I say a lot more seriously than I do.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    A man is at the bar, drunk. I pick him up off the floor, and offer to take him home. On the way to my car, he falls down three times. When I get to his house, I help him out of the car, and on the way to the front door, he falls down four more times. I ring the bell and say, "Here's your husband!" The man's wife says, "Where's his wheelchair?"

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

That's because he's using a Scrabble solver.

Not at all. The word was INVOKED and I used all 7 of my letters, also creating ID and NE which I was just sort of hoping was a word.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

A Dean is at a budget meeting with a group of science professors. He's reviewing their proposals, and becomes increasingly frustrated by their numerous requests. "Why can't you be like the mathematics department," he says, "All they need is pencils, paper, and wastebaskets into which they can toss out the old nonsensical ideas."

"Or better yet," he continues, "be like the philosophy department. They only need pencils and paper!"

• Options
    there's a few damn good ones in drew carey's very old book but they're longer. I'll post my favorite...

A man is sitting at home when he hears a knock on the door. He opens the door and sees a snail sitting there on the porch. He picks up the snail and throws it as far as he can.

Three years later, there's a knock on the door. the man opens the door and there sits the snail.

The snail says "what the hell was that all about?"

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Since DK and Kakos are here

What's a decent resource for learning C/C# for someone who knows logic?

Preferably free...

C and C# are like night and day different. Which do you want? C would be good for writing patches for synths and stuff from what I saw. C# will help you write apps for Windows.

Well the main immediate goal would be to program for Max. They have "Max for Live" which has a pretty handy GUI, but if I'm going to be using it in a live setting, I'd really like to be sure I know what's going on. I believe that it's C# based. The only thing I know is that it's object based, which I'm assuming means you delineate the objects and they take precedent over any function, but, again, I have no fucking clue what I'm taking about.

edit* and I don't even KNOW it's object based. It just seems like they put an emphasis on that in their press releases.

Looks like Max objects can be written in C, C++, Java, or JavaScript.

Ah. Which do you think would be the most fruitful to learn?

@Donkey Kong: Max for Live is visual, yeah. But I think Max itself, as a programming language, is not.

So, Max is based on a language called MUSIC, but it is completely obfuscated behind the visual programming interface. You basically wire up little objects and do control flow stuff around them. Max itself comes with some large number of these objects, but should you need to write your own, you can do it in the above languages.

As far as what language would be the most fruitful to learn, hmm. If the only programming you might ever do is for Max and other minor stuff, JavaScript would probably be good. It has a lot of uses, it's fairly simple, but it is... quirky. C, C++, and Java are all really commonly used languages for pretty much everything. If you were ever thinking of doing any sort of software engineering or the like, you'd probably want to learn one of these. Of those three, Java would probably be up your alley.

Gotcha. I mean, I'd like to learn a programming language in general. Just seems like something someone "tech savvy" should know in todays world, but also because it has and will likely continue to have even greater import on my life as an electronic musician.

I would like to get into software engineering, even if it's just to make little rinky dink reverb emulations and what not.

Since I'm working on a mac, would java be more useful?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have on occasion in my internet career pounced on someone for holding the exact opposite opinion they expressed previously, all Romney like.

I'm not powerful at detecting sarcasm to begin with, text makes it worse. >_<

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Preferably free...

C and C# are like night and day different. Which do you want? C would be good for writing patches for synths and stuff from what I saw. C# will help you write apps for Windows.

Well the main immediate goal would be to program for Max. They have "Max for Live" which has a pretty handy GUI, but if I'm going to be using it in a live setting, I'd really like to be sure I know what's going on. I believe that it's C# based. The only thing I know is that it's object based, which I'm assuming means you delineate the objects and they take precedent over any function, but, again, I have no fucking clue what I'm taking about.

edit* and I don't even KNOW it's object based. It just seems like they put an emphasis on that in their press releases.

@Donkey Kong: Max for Live is visual, yeah. But I think Max itself, as a programming language, is not.

So, Max is based on a language called MUSIC, but it is completely obfuscated behind the visual programming interface. You basically wire up little objects and do control flow stuff around them. Max itself comes with some large number of these objects, but should you need to write your own, you can do it in the above languages.

As far as what language would be the most fruitful to learn, hmm. If the only programming you might ever do is for Max and other minor stuff, JavaScript would probably be good. It has a lot of uses, it's fairly simple, but it is... quirky. C, C++, and Java are all really commonly used languages for pretty much everything. If you were ever thinking of doing any sort of software engineering or the like, you'd probably want to learn one of these. Of those three, Java would probably be up your alley.

Javascript has a lot of uses but it is also a fucking disaster in terms of liquid data types, implicit conversions, and all around weird as fuck behavior. I would go with C, since it's (with a few minor exceptions) a subset of C++ and overall a very simple, straightforward language. It's missing easy to deal with collections that you'll find in Java and Javascript (and C++ with its fun-times syntax) but when you are doing simple DSP stuff I can't imagine you'd use them.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Variable wrote: »
    there's a few damn good ones in drew carey's very old book but they're longer. I'll post my favorite...

A man is sitting at home when he hears a knock on the door. He opens the door and sees a snail sitting there on the porch. He picks up the snail and throws it as far as he can.

Three years later, there's a knock on the door. the man opens the door and there sits the snail.

The snail says "what the hell was that all about?"

hehe

poor snail.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    javascript made me go :rageface: the first time I had to care about data structure in it

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Preferably free...

Gotcha. I mean, I'd like to learn a programming language in general. Just seems like something someone "tech savvy" should know in todays world, but also because it has and will likely continue to have even greater import on my life as an electronic musician.

I would like to get into software engineering, even if it's just to make little rinky dink reverb emulations and what not.

Since I'm working on a mac, would java be more useful?

Java is the language they generally first teach you in school.

It's good for learning programming concepts because it's almost entirely object oriented, and the object oriented aspects of programming are the useful/complicated ones.

Also you'll have a head start with already understanding basically how classes and instances work.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Java is the language they generally first teach you in school.

It's good for learning programming concepts because it's almost entirely object oriented, and the object oriented aspects of programming are the useful/complicated ones.

Also you'll have a head start with already understanding basically how classes and instances work.

QBasic go go

• Options
    I gotta learn jquery

And, like, I guess like html-5 or something?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Programming in Java is a lot like living in an RV. On one hand, you always have your house with you wherever you go. But on the other hand, everywhere you go, you've got to drag your fucking house along with you.

And also, for all the bluster about being unchained from the land, you've still got to find electrical and sewer hookups at the end of the day.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

I've seen bigger on a chihuahua

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Go cutting edge, Poldy. Learn Haskell.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I'm done with the Community thread. All they do is bitch about BBT. They might as well have a thread about beating a dead horse because that's all they do in there.

• Options
    Lord Kelvin, writing in 1900 and being astonishingly perceptive:
    The beauty and clearness of the dynamical theory, which asserts heat and light to be modes of motion, is at present obscured by

I. The first involves the question, How could the earth move through an elastic solid, such as essentially is the luminiferous ether?
    II. The second is the Maxwell-Boltzmann doctrine regarding the partition of energy.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I'm done with the Community thread. All they do is bitch about BBT. They might as well have a thread about beating a dead horse because that's all they do in there.

You know what's _really_ beating a dead horse? Big Bang Theory. We get it, Sheldon's autistic.

• Options

So cutting edge that it will still be the "next great thing" in 100 years.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

I think it may be the worst thread in existence, and in all of history. I say this having been a participant on these forums since 2003.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

You know what's _really_ beating a dead horse? Big Bang Theory. We get it, Sheldon's autistic.

and jeff is full of himself and brita is the worst and ross and rachel are gonna end up together and joey is dumb and george is pathetic and kramer is weird and lucy is a kook

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

and jeff is full of himself and brita is the worst and ross and rachel are gonna end up together and joey is dumb and george is pathetic and kramer is weird and lucy is a kook

And tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

So cutting edge that it will still be the "next great thing" in 100 years.

See, this is why I go with the old classics. QBasic ftw.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Boosh.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    _j_, another good one is that english wartime poster that everyone has

keep-calm-and-carry-on-blue.jpeg

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    So a drunk staggers in the front door of a bar and orders a drink. The bartender says, "I'm sorry you're drunk, I can't serve you." So the drunk staggers back out.

Five minutes later the drunk stumbles through the side door and sidles up to tge bar asking for a beer. The bartender responds, "Buddy I just said I can't serve you!" and the drunk stumbles right back out.

Ten minutes later the drunk tumbles in the back door and bellies up to tge bar asking for a shot, and tge annoyed bartender says, "Buddy I'm not giving you a drop! Now get the heck outta here!"

The drunk looks up surprised and exclaims, "How many bars do you work at?!"

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    When I told my boss C++ is a fad and we should refactor our program into QBasic, she laughed at me for some reason.

• Options
    Oppenheimer had been among the first to introduce quantum
    mechanics to America and had founded a flourishing school of
    theoretical physics which produced many of the leading American
    theoreticians. He often presented physics in rather abstract terms
    which contrasted, at least in my mind, with the simple, direct
    approach to which Fermi had accustomed me. I remember a
    remark that Fermi made in 1940 at the time of his visit to Berkeley
    for the Hitchcock lecture. After attending a seminar given by one
    of Oppenheimer’s pupils on Fermi’s beta-ray theory, Fermi met
    me and said: ‘Emilio, I am getting rusty and old, I cannot follow
    the highbrow theory developed by Oppenheimer’s pupils anymore.
    I went to their seminar and was depressed by my inability
    to understand them. Only the last sentence cheered me up; it was:
    “And this is Fermi’s theory of beta decay.”’

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    So a drunk staggers in the front door of a bar and orders a drink. The bartender says, "I'm sorry you're drunk, I can't serve you." So the drunk staggers back out.

Five minutes later the drunk stumbles through the side door and sidles up to tge bar asking for a beer. The bartender responds, "Buddy I just said I can't serve you!" and the drunk stumbles right back out.

Ten minutes later the drunk tumbles in the back door and bellies up to tge bar asking for a shot, and tge annoyed bartender says, "Buddy I'm not giving you a drop! Now get the heck outta here!"

That's three times you spelled "the" with a g.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    When I told my boss C++ is a fad and we should refactor our program into QBasic, she laughed at me for some reason.

Did you not tell her that it's got named labels, subroutines, and structures?! All the features a programmer from the late 80s could want!

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Chu abandoned our words with friends game with my 100 pointer.

A gentleman would have kept a stiff upper lip, finished it and gave me my win.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Good morning [chat].

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I took Intro To Computer Programming and the language they used for the class was pseudocode. Which annoyed me a little because I feel like you could teach the basics of programming just as well with an actual language, but whatever!

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    I took Intro To Computer Programming and the language they used for the class was pseudocode. Which annoyed me a little because I feel like you could teach the basics of programming just as well with an actual language, but whatever!

I'm in that exact class doing that now. luckily I did c++ in high school (and java but I barely learned shit in that class) so I already know the conceptual stuff which is all the pseudocode lessons are.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

That's three times you spelled "the" with a g.

Ain't that tge truth.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
This discussion has been closed.