As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I wonder if [chat] remembers me

1868788899092»

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Javascript is not really as awful as people have made it out to be to me.

The main problem seems to be that since it's used for web programming, it has kind an awkward debugging workflow.

https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

Warning: Nerdiest nerd humor ever nerded.

That was decently amusing and I have no knowledge of programming.

i cant unhear @skippydumptruck now

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sounds like tom lehrer lul

obF2Wuw.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The heck. This thread hasn't reached 100 yet? Man you guys are getting slow in your old age.

• .red.red caffeine IV Drip CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuu... I'm looking ahead at songs I'd like to play in the future, and some require my hands to span 10 keys and my reach is only 9 comfortably. Curse my tiny hands.

pasig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    .red wrote: »
    Fuuuuu... I'm looking ahead at songs I'd like to play in the future, and some require my hands to span 10 keys and my reach is only 9 comfortably. Curse my tiny hands.

Exposure to Cosmic Rays gives you a one in four chance of correcting this issue.

Exposure to Cosmic Rays gives you a one in four chance of correcting this issue.

if only the odds were in my favor

pasig.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

how far in the future, there's a good chance your hands will get broken enough that you can span 10. Anything beyond ten is just crazy rachmaninoff territory.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Man, this has been the straight up weirdest intersexual relationship month of my life.

It's like I went for the physical challenge in crazy girl world.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I don't wanna go to school today

stupid exams

Podly wrote: »
    Man, this has been the straight up weirdest intersexual relationship month of my life.

It's like I went for the physical challenge in crazy girl world.

Did you wake up with breast implants or something?

edited March 2012

how far in the future, there's a good chance your hands will get broken enough that you can span 10. Anything beyond ten is just crazy rachmaninoff territory.

definitely not anytime soon. Probably looking at a year to two years before I consider tackling some heavier things. I've only been playing since December and I'm starting to learn songs mainly by self-teaching. One of the "harder" songs I'm learning (and by harder, I mean for my level of play) is this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2zSaat02AU

I play daily so I imagine it's doable within that allotted time frame? But I really don't see my fingers being able to "break" to that point.

.red on
    pasig.png
    oh you know what i mean

bitches bringing the crazy on HARDCORE this month

I'm not even living in bitches be crazy anymore

I'm on the sequel

Bitches 2: Crazy Harder

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    oh you know what i mean

bitches bringing the crazy on HARDCORE this month

I'm not even living in bitches be crazy anymore

I'm on the sequel

Bitches 2: Crazy Harder

No I don't know. I was only ever in the one monocrazy relationship.

.red, please tell me you are reading from the sheet music...

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    .red, please tell me you are reading from the sheet music...

yes and no lol. I use several videos (including a midi video that shows only keys being played) while learning how to read sheet music on the side. It's a very mixed way of learning I imagine haha. I've got a lot of the right hand side down pat, slowly going to the left and then trying to nail the combination of the two. I can play some smaller songs with both hands, but it's the progressively longer ones that I'm starting to get into that are posing trouble.

pasig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    learn to read music first! it will help a lot and it's really not hard.

I've actually been planning to finally learn to play, it's a huge part of the 'family business' and it's just foolish of me not to with the opportunities it will open up. I know how to read so I'd probably start with just drills and then develop into actual pieces.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i nearly went to the royal academy for a piano diploma and uhh

i can't sight read

the admissions lady was so confused

obF2Wuw.png
    Variable wrote: »
    learn to read music first! it will help a lot and it's really not hard.

I've actually been planning to finally learn to play, it's a huge part of the 'family business' and it's just foolish of me not to with the opportunities it will open up. I know how to read so I'd probably start with just drills and then develop into actual pieces.

I am learning; I've been following Andrew Furmanczyk (Lypur) on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHEIF0rT2w

He has 50 videos on just straight piano theory (with tests and exams) for self learners. I plan to eventually take piano lessons but I first wanted to put my commitment into learning first, which I've been doing steadily (30-60 mins a day for the last 4-ish months)

pasig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    did you get in

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Piano lessons aren't really necessary. And I'm an electronic musician, and while I am (or at least was) a near professional jazz guitarist, I'm a pretty crap keyboardist. (Which is ok because I have an extensive midi routing and can program 8 synths at once to play at the same time, plus 16 tracks on a drum machine. SCIENCE!)

However I have been working on my keyboard skills, and, yes, sight reading will help you IMMENSELY, especially when it comes to separating your hands. Once you learn to see yourself as a sort of function, where the score is the input and your hands are the output, you become so much better.

Also, learning theory -- pick up some of the walter piston texts. They should be available at your public library -- they're quite common.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    He who cannot read piano, cannot speak piano

PSN: Honkalot
    it's also a big pet peeve of mine when musical instructional videos have terrible sound quality or are recorded terribly or mixed terribly

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Podly make us a new chat thread

@surrealitycheck is backup

@jacobkosh is going to @bed

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.