As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It is perhaps a testament of being a bit burnt out after four and a half years of studying chemistry that one of my first reactions to seeing those people molecules was trying to remember whether I could immediately break them into tiny pieces via oxidative cleavage of the carbon-carbon triple bonds or if I would have to add hydrogen to weaken them to C=C double bonds first.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    So I think I have most of my classes figured out for next semester.

Human Memory, Neuroscience, Psychology of Personality, German III, and a lab in behavioral neuroscience

fuck yeah psychology!

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    the neurological aspect of psychology is really interesting but also pretty tough considering all the neurotransmitters and brain structures and blahhhh

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I am familiar with it.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Psychology of Personality sounds like a really interesting class

do you have any known texts yet for it?

• Options
    Noooooope. I won't know until just before the class starts in August.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Croc_ClockCroc_Clock Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've taken Personality Psychology before, and from what I can tell it's a giant catch-all term that allows professors to go whichever direction they like with it. I really liked my professor and what he did with the course.

Neuropsych IS pretty tough, but on the bright side it seems to have some limit to its complexity. That might not be of any help in undergrad where you won't hit that level, but it's really cool when I take a grad school class and we get down to the very chemistry of specifically which atoms do what to change a neuron's potential, and I realize... I'm done. This is it. We can only talk about bigger concepts now.

Croc_Clock on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this quarter should go much better than last since I no longer have a girlfriend to distract me

classes:
    late 19th c. American lit
    intermediate poetry writing
    modern american history from 1877

• Options
    i have a test in cognitive psychology monday

i just got back from dallas where i didn't study a lick at all because i was attending a conference for choice theory and got to speak on my experience with it for five minutes in front of a decent group of folks

was kinda nervous about all that, now i'm just sitting back feeling like king big shit cause the other two students that talked before me did really well and everybody seemed receptive to what i said and i hate speaking in front of other people and i went up like it was no thing at all and it went goooood

• Options
    Croc_ClockCroc_Clock Registered User regular
    this sucks.

i can never really talk about my academics here cuz its all about RL clients and thats not ethical :(

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    holy shit a career in radiology makes bank, makes a convincing argument insofar as career choices

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    So I studied absolutely nothing and did absolutely no work on my projects this weekend.

Fuck.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    What did you do instead?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    i feel like i'm in a similar position, Trippy

but i was also semi-productive

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    So I studied absolutely nothing and did absolutely no work on my projects this weekend.

Fuck.

We should hang out.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    ~1 month and I will be finished school

already have job offers

motivation to do schoolwork: zero

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    What did you do instead?

I watched Legend of Korra, Stargate, and played some ME2 and ME3?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    even with this test coming up in 10 1/2 hours, and little study time besides some light reading of the chapters over the last month, i did not expect to be this stress free. figure this relief is from not worrying about the conference anymore

goddamn i hope this high lasts for a while longer

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Usually when I am stress free before a test despite not studying I am pretty stressed after the test

I mean barring those situations where the test is a gimmie

Al_wat on
  • Options
    No sir, this test is a doozy. I got a 50/70 on the first one, this one is worth more, but i feel i am more prepared for it than the last one, despite the lack of recent studying.

He gives us two studies to recreate the graphs and describe the variables, 10 - 15 identification items that require a short answer response (2-3 sentences), and two essay questions that are a few paragraphs apiece.

Once the test is over, it's over. I can't go back and change it, and so stressing about it after doesn't help me. I recognize this, and I do what I can to prevent this (it happens despite my best efforts, nature of the brain I s'pose).

I feel like I got some solid notes from a classmate, which I feel kind of shitty about because while I had the notes from the two classes she missed, they were pretty barebones and may not be as much use to her. Not like I didn't take down the information presented, but compared to what she's got down, it's much less info.

Still. Riding high on the hog for the time being and I'm going to ride that shit down to the wire. Just gotta get cracking on the studying.

• Options
    I have a test tuesday on 3 phase electric motors and transformers

haven't studied at all yet

meh

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I studied transformers for most of my childhood, maybe I can help.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I'm hoping for fill in the blanks

Transformers are ______ in disguise

• Options
    Shit I know this shit

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the ____________

Transformers more less than meets the eye

circle one

these aren't jokes, this is the review test

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Got a test over magnetism today and maxwell's equations

I kind of barely know this stuff

hopefully I can get some explainin' to at lunch today before the test and understand more of it

• Options
    Well, good luck to all those taking tests today then

• Options
    This is the last unit test too before we began ap practice season

woooooooooooooooo

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    God dammit. I might have to medically withdraw from one of my classes because I was hospitalized last week and that put me over the six days we're allowed to miss.

I might can get my university to accept two credit's worth of transfer classes from my Army training. If not, my graduation will be delayed for two fucking credits. And I'm pretty sure I've used up my GI Bill so I'll have to pay out-of-pocket.

God dammit.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Organic chemistry might be a fun thing to learn

But I would not know because all of my ochem professors insist on making it as intriguing as shoveling manure

• Options
    Hopefully the school will accept those credits then meddy.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow whether or not I failed this magnetism test

• Options

But I would not know because all of my ochem professors insist on making it as intriguing as shoveling manure

If you need help, talk to me.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Baidol wrote: »

If you need help, talk to me.

Really you know what I would love right now? A bunch of organic chemistry practice tests that I can take on my PC, where I am given my score immediately after concluding the test and it shows me exactly WHY I get things wrong. Right now I take an ochem test, wait a week and a half to get it back, and then there are red X's all over it but I have no idea why.

Right now I have no instant and accurate feedback on what I'm learning correctly or incorrectly. It's like your tennis coach talking to you about tennis for an hour, then watching TV while you practice the rest of the week, and then when you lose horribly at your match he waits a couple of weeks before saying, "You are really not very good at tennis."

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Do the professors/TA's hold office hours where you can solicit feedback?

• Options
    Yes, but they are held at times when I am needed at home to watch my children since my wife is out of town for cancer treatment.

I can put in the time on my own at home, which is why I really want some sort of ochem practice program.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    While not a program, Harvard provides some mechanism problems. In the "Search Problems" dropbox select "Elementary Organic Chemistry".

While it does give answers, it does not provide a written explanation.

Baidol on
  • Options
    Alternatively, scan your exams or your practice problems, send them to me and we can talk

• Options
    I had a test last week in a course called "chemistry".

The test asked about stress-strain relationships, younge's modulus, elastic limits, plastic and elastic deformation, types of stress...

like wtf? This course should be called "intro to mechanical engineering" not chemistry. Do you even learn about those things in chemistry?

• Options
    If it's any kind of chemistry it's mechanical chemistry or something like that

Definitely not gen chem

• Options
    In a materials/polymer chemistry course, certainly possible.

This discussion has been closed.