As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Supposedly they are. Someone posted this on the GoG forums: 05ba405c6f8f652268e54b7caa9963cfec359dbe.PNG

Presuming this is real that means the upcoming Legend of Grimrock will be sold on the site.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That's exciting, Legend of Grimrock looks fucking amazing

JtgVX0H.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I read every single one of those as "Legend of Grimlock"

I was disappointed when I got down to Corpekata's text and read it properly for the first time

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Is Legend of Grimrock the game that the dev added onscreen clickable controls just because one disabled guy asked for it?

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Is Legend of Grimrock the game that the dev added onscreen clickable controls just because one disabled guy asked for it?

Yeah.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm not sure it's just because one disable guy asked for it. If that was the only reason they probably wouldn't have done it. I think that one guy asking for it gave them a reason, and they probably hadn't realized before that it was something to be thinking about.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, that's the sort of new games that I really expected GoG to be selling. Not CoD : MW 38 (or whatever iteration they are on), or any other big studio AAA projects.

That's fucking awesome in my opinion.

Drake on
    I'm not sure it's just because one disable guy asked for it. If that was the only reason they probably wouldn't have done it. I think that one guy asking for it gave them a reason, and they probably hadn't realized before that it was something to be thinking about.

Yeah, the reason was the guy was disabled and they figured it would be easy to implement and there's no reason not to include it. Because of that one guy.

JtgVX0H.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    What's a Grimrock?

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, the reason was the guy was disabled and they figured it would be easy to implement and there's no reason not to include it. Because of that one guy.

Yeah, as I recall the dialogue went as such:

Guy: Hey are you going to have clickable buttons for movement like in the old games like this?
    Dev: No, don't see any reason to as I don't think anyone ever used them.
    Guy: Actually I have a disability and have to use those.
    Dev: Okay, sure thing. Here's a screenshot to show how they're set up, does that work for you?

The actual exchange.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, buying that.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Ditto. I've been cruising through Etrian Odyssey for the last few weeks, and I would love a hi-res version of classic dungeon crawling on my PC.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    I tried to play Outcast over the weekend. I get the intro video, then a "Bink Video" logo, then it takes me to the loader. I select, "New Game" (or whatever the option is), the launcher goes away, I get a black circle (or was it a square?) in the middle of the screen, then nothing. Crash/close, no game. :(

DoctorArch wrote: »
    Ditto. I've been cruising through Etrian Odyssey for the last few weeks, and I would love a hi-res version of classic dungeon crawling on my PC.

Cruising through Etrian Odyssey? Are you playing the same game I did? I wouldn't describe anything I did in it as "cruising", unless it was cruising for a bruising. :P

JtgVX0H.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Cruising through Etrian Odyssey? Are you playing the same game I did? I wouldn't describe anything I did in it as "cruising", unless it was cruising for a bruising. :P

"Cruising" in this case means grinding for 30 minutes in bed every night before I go to sleep just to make it to the next stratum. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    That's really pretty cool, wasn't expecting them to sell major games or whatever. Legends of Grimrock does look pretty cool, and I'd buy it anyway, due to the dev being a swell dude.

"Cruising" in this case means grinding for 30 minutes in bed every night before I go to sleep just to make it to the next stratum. :P

Oh, well then I guess I cruised through it too, lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Grimrock on GoG? I'm glad my throwing money at those devs also makes money for GoG.

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    We'll get back there someday.
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    Their no-DRM and generally standard pricing scheme (meaning I can expect value for my money, basically) is more important to me than whether the games are new or old. I would love to see them expand as much as possible, because they are selling good products at good prices, without any "gotchas". Trine is fun, and while it isn't anything super exciting, it's the sort of thing that would fit their pricing.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
    I wouldn't be surprised if some new pricing levels were added for some of the newer games they are selling. I don't expect anything outrageous though.

Drake wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if some new pricing levels were added for some of the newer games they are selling. I don't expect anything outrageous though.

They've stated there will be different pricing levels for newer and bigger games and the like.

And honestly, I think it's perfectly fine that they're branching out and selling games that aren't fucking ancient. They started off with those, sure, and they built up a name and lots of goodwill but eventually I imagine there comes a time when it's harder to find old games that they'd be able to sell.

JtgVX0H.png
    They still need to get Blade Runner for me.

But yeah, they are getting close to having all the truly great and classic old games. And you can't just stop growing your business. That's business suicide.

I'd be ecstatic if GoG eventually became a proper no-DRM competitor with Steam. Competition good.
    Far too much competition that's even worse than Steam in that regard. Looking at you, EA. :?

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Hm. I have to see how Grimlock pans out since the combat's real-time, not turn-based.

steam_sig.png
    It's been real-time since forever in that genre.

I can't think of any other real time examples in that genre.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Eye of the Beholder series.
    Lands of Lore: the Throne of Chaos (which I am playing right now.)

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Also later Might and Magic and WIzardry games.

august wrote: »

Eye of the Beholder series.
    Lands of Lore: the Throne of Chaos (which I am playing right now.)

Swords and Serpents on the NES did as well, I believe

JtgVX0H.png
    I come from the Wizardry end of the genre. Also some Etrian Odyssey and The Dark Spire.

Cool, I thought the real time thing was a new affectation.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I did not know about this Grimrock. I'm not sure how much I want it - I love Etrian Odyssey with every fiber of my being, but a lot of the old crawlers do not catch me as much. I think it's the enchanting aesthetic of the Yggdrassil Labyrinth. But that dev conversation is really quite cool, and enough to be making me consider giving it a chance, because the makers seem cool dudes who deserve money thrown their way and who obviously are really enjoying what they do.
    GSM wrote: »

Why meh? Trine was quite fun, and we don't get nearly enough stuff that calls Lost Vikings to memory even slightly!

Steam ID: Right here.
    I come from the Wizardry end of the genre. Also some Etrian Odyssey and The Dark Spire.

Cool, I thought the real time thing was a new affectation.

It was said a few pages ago (I even commented), but I'm going to keep repeating myself until it happens: the Wizardry series needs to come to gog.

JtgVX0H.png
    Yes. I'd do things to get to check out some of the more recent entries in the Wizardry series. I spent so much time in Proving Grounds it was crazy. When my Mom's house burned down it took my ancient three ring binder with my hand drawn maps on graph paper of the Proving Grounds with it. I think that stung more than the vintage Fender Jazz bass that went up too. I mean, I have plenty of basses. Those maps though represent a whole summer of a part of my life that was in the height of my childhood.

So yeah. Wizardry series, ASAP GoG. I know you're watching this.

And don't forget Blade Runner either.

• striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Oh, gog wishlist. Swat 4 please:)

steam_sig.png
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I guess the thing that I like the most about GOG is when they make games available for purchase that had previously fallen into Ebay-only territory. Selling stuff you can already get digitally elsewhere just isn't as exciting.

We'll get back there someday.
    I wish I could stomach pre-8 Wizardry games. Too slow and hard even for me.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Wizardry 7 was fucking brilliant. I would love a properly Dosbox'd version (fuck the Windows version). Never did get that Cane of Corpus.

B6yM5w2.gif
    That's another thing GoG. DOSbox versions whenever and where ever possible. I don't give a damn what the whiners have to say. DOSbox versions are superior to the wonky early Windows shit. This is why I have not purchased the Fallout games from you.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Grimrock on GOG? I cannae wait!