As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Luna would be hilarious. Because she's so awful. But because she's new there would be a Luna in every game. Being awful.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Can anyone lay out a good Clockwerk build for me? The recommended items for him seem decent, but it's kind of difficult to figure out his role in a comp. sometimes. Obviously he can initiate and single out a champ with the cogs, but at that point I get a little lost. Do you build a lot of damage so whoever you trap in the cogs gets a royal beat down? Or do you build tank/soak and depend on your ranged teammates to do the killing for you?
    build HP/eHP - clockwerk is about strong initation with rocket + hookshot + cogs (and troll ministuns, ofc). none of his abilities scale with damage so there's no reason to get damage on him.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Abbadon actually gets some play now and then. He's been picked a few times lately and is relatively popular in SEA. He's my favourite support hero and I'd love for him to get ported. His nuke is so good for laning. Not as good as it used to be when he had 10,000 range on everything, but still really good.

The painful thing would be seeing all the loa players fail utterly at using his shield properly. That's the worst.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    I was playing a co-op “easier” bot match yesterday and my team was doing pretty well even though we had a disconnect. I score a kill on one of the bots and my video card starts flaking out. I decide to do a quick restart and reconnect and hope the rest of the team doesn’t call it quits. I reconnect … and only one guy’s still there. But then I found out that you can control disconnected heroes. So, I take the 4 heroes and drive down the bottom lane and take out each tower, destroy the bot’s ancient and win the game. I think the other guy was still laning the middle while this was all going on…

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I'd like Abbadon in, but he's probably really low down the list

Love me some Accursed in HON

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    I keep losing games with Axe but the performance rating keeps rising.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Luna would be hilarious. Because she's so awful. But because she's new there would be a Luna in every game. Being awful.

she was good for while. when glaives were insane and everyone went satanic/butterfly/manta. whys she so shitty now? nerfed into the ground? she is one of those borderline heroes where she scales decently and her nukes are pretty good, so I feel like shes very easy to overbuff or overnerf.

I love avernus too. that heal is the best single target heal in the game.

He should be higher on the list than most. He's popular and actually really good.

Luna is the same as she's always been. A super squishy hard carry with no escape mechanism. If she actually gets all her items she can carry just fine, but until then she's a waste of space. When you've got the likes of weaver, am, naix, morphling, od, void, etc. available then there's just no reason to pick Luna.

stream
  • PantomimePantomime Registered User regular
    So I havnt really dug into dota yet. In most games I play high finesse characters, which usually just translates into a high skill cap. I was watching a live game yesterday, some dude "Na'Vi | Dendi" or something was playing invoker and went 30-2-1 I think. Invoker seemed to be a high skillcap char. Off the top of your collective heads, are there any other champs (I hear Chen)?

Also I aknowledge that any champ that has to control creeps requires some macro skills, I am looking for skill cap in that and outside of that as well.

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    why is luna awful.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Pantomime wrote: »
    So I havnt really dug into dota yet. In most games I play high finesse characters, which usually just translates into a high skill cap. I was watching a live game yesterday, some dude "Na'Vi | Dendi" or something was playing invoker and went 30-2-1 I think. Invoker seemed to be a high skillcap char. Off the top of your collective heads, are there any other champs (I hear Chen)?

Also I aknowledge that any champ that has to control creeps requires some macro skills, I am looking for skill cap in that and outside of that as well.

"Some dude Dendi" you say. Ha.

steam_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Chen seems like pretty high skill cap the few times I've played him. Not only do you have to control your creeps' movements, but your control skill also doubles as a "port an ally back to base" skill, and you have to know when to pop it, how long it takes to channel, and so on. Plus a global heal ult that you don't want to be popping at anything but the exact right time so you don't waste it.

• FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    can your teammates cancel the teleport?

would be fun to troll with :D

• PantomimePantomime Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Pantomime wrote: »

"Some dude Dendi" you say. Ha.

I take it he is good then? Does he normally play invoker? Honestly I was just looking at his abilities. His toolbox is entirely too large. To the point of being broken I would say. Was he the same in dota?

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah he's one of the most famous Dota 2 players. Usually goes solo mid for Na`Vi, a team that won a bunch of DOTA 2 tournaments. Seems like Invoker being picked and banned a lot in tournaments in general. Though they recently nerfed EMP and Tornado a little bit.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm starting to understand why they don't just open up Dota 2 to everyone. It seems that now even more people are in, the finding server part takes longer time.

Peewi wrote: »
    I'm starting to understand why they don't just open up Dota 2 to everyone. It seems that now even more people are in, the finding server part takes longer time.

I've been averaging about 2.5 minute searches. And usually the people it ends up throwing together are pretty widely dispersed skill-wise.

Minerva_SC wrote: »
    why is luna awful.

Low range (easy to bully in lane), tied for lowest base strength and near the bottom for strength gain (incredibly fragile), only means of escape is running pretty fast (any form of disable = instant death), very item dependant and can't really start farming till the mid game (means the other team could be pushing base towers by the time she's ready to start getting ready), ult doesn't scale independently of her nuke anymore so she has to put points in the nuke early to be any sort of threat (can't get stats early to help last hitting and surviving), her ult stops when she dies now as well, making her an even bigger target.

Once she does get her items she does obscene amounts of damage, but that's a what if scenario against any decent team. In a lot of ways she's like a worse version of SF who isn't as good at soloing.

Her ult does cancel NS's ult, though. So that's kind of cool. And I used to enjoy playing her. She's fun with an ethereal blade.

stream
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    she does have a 300 damage ministunning nuke on a 6 sec cd. then again SF nukes are better and he farms better midgame. hrmph. poor luna :(

She also one of the lowest starting ints in the game and bad int gain. With normal survival and dps items she can't spam the nuke enough to make it actually dangerous for more than a few seconds, and definitely not without a lot of help.

stream
    Whatever, I love luna.

I'm dead serious."
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    ack wrote: »
    whats ur steaam name

I suppose that would have helped. I use the same name everywhere, so bobAkirafett.

akirasig.jpg
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I love Lord of Avernus, but I am not sure when you'd pick him over Omniknight. BKB on a stick, a powerful heal that doubles as an extremely high damage nuke, and one of the strongest ultimates in the game just seems better when out of the laneing phase.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    I've loved plenty of awful heroes. Doesn't make them not awful. And their level of awfulness didn't stop me from loving them.

stream
  • TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    Luna may be terrible but I'll be playing her with tender love as I did with Jakiro. Awww, I love bad heroes.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Page- wrote: »

You shut your mouth! Luna is best character!

(I love Luna.)

Edit: She can actually bottle mid pretty well. If you can control the lane, her base move-speed and ultimate can kill any hero who dares follow her after the rune. I understand she may not be very competitive, but in pubs she'll own.

Heleor on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    I have 2 beta invites. First two people to pm me get them.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    Yay lag yay!

5th abandon ftl :<

stream
    Played a great game. Had to finish it off 4 man because of some Queen of Pain abandoner.

I've won my last 8 Axe games. He's just the biggest asshole all game, just a giant middle finger to everyone he comes across, from start to finish.

I'm dead serious."
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    okay so i finally got a beta key for this game this is like a gears of war ripoff right

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    okay so i finally got a beta key for this game this is like a gears of war ripoff right

What? O_o

It's not even in the same genre.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    yeah i know

my comp froze in my first vs AI game so that's gonna be fun to sort out

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Odd. My abandoned game is not showing up in the count. Is this the case for everyone, or do I have a bug to report?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    Like it's not showing up as abandoned? Maybe it finished before your 5 minute timer ran out.

edited March 2012
    Only one PM, and it's from a guy who already got a beta key by the time I checked. There's really no one out there who needs keys?

edit: keys gone.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    I've won my last 8 Axe games. He's just the biggest asshole all game, just a giant middle finger to everyone he comes across, from start to finish.

Axe is the best. I've noticed Sven plays in a similar vein. Wade into the fight; beat on stuff. Worst? I think hate Sniper the most, no skill to play scrublord bullshit ult and all that.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Axe is the best. I've noticed Sven plays in a similar vein. Wade into the fight; beat on stuff. Worst? I think hate Sniper the most, no skill to play scrublord bullshit ult and all that.

I love Sniper.

Yeah, I love him too. He's so easy to kill.

Keys are gone.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png