As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May the odds be ever in your favour! [Hunger Games Movie]

• Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    I keep reading the title as Hunger Dogs.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Theidar wrote: »

Reservoir Games

• Options

Reservoir Games

No, had my hopes up for some big screen Fourth World craziness.

Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I didn't have a problem with the shaky cam and I'm glad they used it instead of just cutting away from the violence completely.

Over the last few days, I've thought about it more and have gone from being ok with the film to really liking it. I found myself surprised with how many scenes and images have wiggled their way into my brain and won't leave. Specifically
    The reaping, that while quiet sequence was really quite disturbing. Katniss shaking uncontrollably before entering the tube. Rue's death, of course and the shots of 11 afterwards.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I didn't trust Peeta at all during the film.
    Your not supposed to. I only read the first one, but its pretty apparent in the book that Katniss suspects his motives, so you are supposed to in the film as well. Also her Romance with him should appear stilted, it is at least partially fake from her end. That's one of the bigger flaws that was not a deliberate choice on the directors part. Something like the shaky cam, may have been poor decisions, but they were done on purpose and for a reason. Not conveying the nature of the relationship from Katniss' perspective was just a failure on the directors part.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Peeta just has such a punch able face. But overall I really liked the movie. Didn't have an issue with the shaky cam, makes sense cause goddamn these are kids killing each other and I'd rather not see that all clear and in depth, or have super precise action scenes like all the kids are Jason Bourne. I'll get my violent fix from the upcoming movie, raid: the redemption. Jennifer Lawrence did an awesome job and was quite believable as an asskicker. Wish I could grow facial hair so I can copy the announcer dude's sweet beard thingie. Also Donald Sutherland just seems super evil. I'm totally down for the 2 or 3 planned sequels.

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    Didn't have an issue with the shaky cam, makes sense cause goddamn these are kids killing each other and I'd rather not see that all clear and in depth, or have super precise action scenes like all the kids are Jason Bourne.

This is funny because the Bourne movies popularized all the shaky cam bullshit.

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I can understand why the shaky cam is unbearable for some people, but I liked it.

I really enjoyed this movie, and the soundtrack is pretty aces too. It's very folksy, lots of guitar twangs and stuff.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Oh, wonderful. Why do awful fanbases gotta be awful.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    This just in: people are dumb fucks. More at 11.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    moocow wrote: »
    This just in: people are dumb fucks. More at 11.

Extremely racist dumb fucks.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    At work yesterday I saw a newspaper lying on a counter with a headline about outrage over film ratings.

I didn't have time to read it, but I suspected that it would reference the Hunger Games so I scanned the first paragraph. And indeed! It was about people being upset that Bully is rated R but THG was rated PG-13.

Like I said, I didn't have time to read the article but it seemed worth mentioning in this thread.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    What I want to know is why did a magic space viking have to be a black man??

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Also some of my friends on facebook are posting stuff about that article like, "I can't believe this!"

My reaction is more "as soon as I saw Lenny Kravitz I was expecting it."

I suppose that means I'm jaded. Damn it.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Reservoir Games

hell yes

Fourthworld58.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Friend of mine helped do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2lRxqWbTec

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    My supervisor was actually talking to me about this article during our meeting today. I hadn't heard anything about it though until he said something.

People are dumb fucks. Yes sirree.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    When reading the book this past weekend, I pictured Cinna as Nathan Lane.

Probably because of Modern Family. =|

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
  • Options

Reservoir Games

hell yes

Fourthworld58.jpg

:^:

Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    I did have the thought of wondering if they changed how Thresh spoke in the movie because they were worried about being called racist.

Because in the book he basically growls like a caveman and then runs off into the wilderness where no one else would go.

But I...was not expecting people to care this much about Rue, Thresh, and Cinna being black.

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »
    Didn't have an issue with the shaky cam, makes sense cause goddamn these are kids killing each other and I'd rather not see that all clear and in depth, or have super precise action scenes like all the kids are Jason Bourne.

This is funny because the Bourne movies popularized all the shaky cam bullshit.

Gladiator was the first time I remembering seeing shaky cam used prominently.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Is Cinna really not described as black in the books? I pictured him as a black dude

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Also, did anyone else feel like
    Rue didn't really matter? She was in the movie for, what, five minutes? When she died, it didn't really leave an impression on me over any of the other random kids dying. I haven't read the books, so there's that

Also
    I was a bit annoyed by all the deus ex machina stuff in the story. The tracker jackers thing, and the healing salve all sort of came out of nowhere.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Talked to a woman today who was pretty insistent Cinna was white in the book. All I could tell her was "I don't remember it ever being mentioned" :/

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Also
    I was a bit annoyed by all the deus ex machina stuff in the story. The tracker jackers thing, and the healing salve all sort of came out of nowhere.

hahahahaha

That was... kinda the point? Did you go to the bathroom during this part?

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Also

hahahahaha

That was... kinda the point? Did you go to the bathroom during this part?

No? I know that's what literally happened in the movie, but I think "then suddenly, exactly what she needed just happened to be right there" is a bit of lazy writing, even if it makes sense within the context of the story.

I liked the movie, just thought that part was a tad lazy.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Talked to a woman today who was pretty insistent Cinna was white in the book. All I could tell her was "I don't remember it ever being mentioned" :/

Cinna should have been played by David Bowie.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Every role should have been played by David Bowie.

• Options
    it's hard to argue that something exists which would not be improved with the addition of David Bowie

• Options
    Another issue I had with the movie is that the main characters missed a lot of damage that was done to them in the books.
    Katniss loses her hearing in one ear and Peeta ends up losing his leg.

Instead:
    They basically walk out of there just fine with some spit up leaves on their face and magic burn salve, and festering open wound miracle cure.

I felt no real concern for the main characters at any point.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    I saw this movie yesterday and enjoyed it.

Also, I would like to buy one of those training jackets (with the district number on the shoulder).

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    @Bogey: Endorses child murder for clothing.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »

Also, I would like to buy one of those training jackets (with the district number on the shoulder).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0074BSZ9G/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=squid1496481-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&SubscriptionId=19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2&creativeASIN=B0074BSZ9G

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0074BSZ9G/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=squid1496481-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&SubscriptionId=19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2&creativeASIN=B0074BSZ9G

The model is completely annoyed at that jacket.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

£69 quid???!

Wait, I'm wrong, £43 quid??!

Liiya on