As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] They might have forgotten to tell you that you're in the beta.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Baldr wrote:
    Not a lot of activity in the PoE thread... Are there still people interested? I've got a beta key for a lucky person, just to say thanks for being my fav forum to lurk! First come, first served!

Edit: Taken!

Thanks much!

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh goddamnit, go open already you stupid beta! :P

steam_sig.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote:
    Oh goddamnit, go open already you stupid beta! :P

Pretty much this. I'm not really bothering to think much of this game until the beta goes open and I can try it. therwise I'll just get impatient and suffer :p.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for the new skills

they keep rolling out other features that, while cool, do not add as much!

obF2Wuw.png
  • MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Doh! Missed it by |-| that much! :)

Marek on
    XBL: Jason Marek
  • JextJext Registered User regular
    I think this game needs to market itself a bit better. It really seems interesting with it's weird mechanics and I would imagine more people would feel the same if they knew about it.

Anyone in beta have some opinions?

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Jext wrote:
    I think this game needs to market itself a bit better. It really seems interesting with it's weird mechanics and I would imagine more people would feel the same if they knew about it.

Anyone in beta have some opinions?

I lost interest after a while, partially due to the weird mechanics. The gem slot colors make things far to finicky to get the ability setups you want.

Half the items you get you can't use because they don't have the socket combination you need to keep your abilities.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I actually rather like that mechanic. It means you can't always just min/max to your hearts content without working for it. Could also be a good way to make a positive market for player goods, as it were.

steam_sig.png
    I actually rather like that mechanic. It means you can't always just min/max to your hearts content without working for it. Could also be a good way to make a positive market for player goods, as it were.

I'd be better with it if there were a controlled way to modify the socket colors and connections.

It definitely feels like it's an endgame mechanic, where you can try and find the "perfect" gear. But when you're trying to level up, you don't get the satisfaction of switching to that cool new item that dropped. Instead you're stuck wearing your old gear until something with the right colors drops.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I lost interest pretty quickly. The crafting system is pretty meh. Better off re-installing D2 and the Median mod.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There's lots of interesting systems here, but the game itself is quite bland.

That said, I've got a spare beta key. PM me if you fancy it. nothing at all.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I like it so far... but all it really takes for me to like a loot based dungeon crawler is awesome item mods. This game seems to have them. It also helps I enjoy complicated skill trees (with no option to respec).

My only real issue with the game is that is seems too easy. I just started Act 2 with a ranger, so maybe it's just my class. Can anyone confirm that it gets harder? A comparison to D2's difficulty would be awesome.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    It gets harder.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    is it true there are only 2 acts in the beta right now? I too am at the start of act 2 and it would make me sad if my journey is almost over

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    imo the real problem with the game atm is the lack of basic skill types

if you want to make a caster witch there is a severe lack of spells

but they're getting added

obF2Wuw.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    is it true there are only 2 acts in the beta right now? I too am at the start of act 2 and it would make me sad if my journey is almost over

Only two acts, and it doesn't have a final boss either - once you complete act 2 it puts you on a higher difficulty loop, and there's a temporary endgame instance when you run through all the difficulties . Act 3 is coming out for the open beta, which should be going this spring.
    imo the real problem with the game atm is the lack of basic skill types

if you want to make a caster witch there is a severe lack of spells

but they're getting added

It's glaring because all the other classes are super fun BECAUSE there's so many options available to you as far as weapons goes. Hell, one recently added keystone passive is precisely for bow marauders.

Dac Vin on
    i played a bow witch recently with explosive arrow

was v fun

obF2Wuw.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    sometimes i play a melee ranger and just teleport strike ALL THE FUCKING THINGS

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Just got in today, will probably download it over the weekend, too many other things to play right now.

camo_sig.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Inc Gamers is giving away 1,000 beta keys. No hoops to jump through like most of the annoying Diablo 3 fansite things, just go to this site and click a button and it gives you your key:

http://www.incgamers.com/Giveaway/35/path-of-exile-closed-beta-key-giveaway

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    Inc Gamers is giving away 1,000 beta keys. No hoops to jump through like most of the annoying Diablo 3 fansite things, just go to this site and click a button and it gives you your key:

http://www.incgamers.com/Giveaway/35/path-of-exile-closed-beta-key-giveaway

Wow, that was fast. That's what I get for taking a meeting right after lunch.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh for fuck sake, this open beta better be bloody worth it :P

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    So I've given up on finding a friend to give mm key to, so...

First person to give me a (funny) reason to give them a key gets it. Post it here for everyone's enjoyment.

gjaustin on
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    You should give me the beta key because no one ever posts in this thread so I'm the only person who will see your post for the next 3 or so days. ~_~

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    You should give me the beta key because no one ever posts in this thread so I'm the only person who will see your post for the next 3 or so days. ~_~

There's some famous quote about comedy being based in truth, so good enough for me.

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    So I'm a level 10 witch so far and it's pretty enjoyable. But I have a freaking ton of items I need identified and identifying scrolls seem to be a rarity for some reason, or am I missing something?

The skill system is really cool, and I think it'll be what sets this apart from the other diablo types coming out this year. It has a TON of potential.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    Scrolls and such are used as currency. Trade some stuff to vendors to get some easily (the most worthless items are worth a scrap of an identification scroll, and 5 scraps equals a scroll).

Minerva_SC wrote:
    So I'm a level 10 witch so far and it's pretty enjoyable. But I have a freaking ton of items I need identified and identifying scrolls seem to be a rarity for some reason, or am I missing something?

The skill system is really cool, and I think it'll be what sets this apart from the other diablo types coming out this year. It has a TON of potential.

I played before you could sell items to vendors, and I found myself giving up on identifying most items before too long. I'd just destroy them or leave them on the ground.

One they added the ability to sell items, I stuck to only identifying items that I thought I might use or that had a high quality modifier.

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So, I jsut finished Act 1 on normal as a duelist. I only used 3 jewels and didn't use a single skillpoint.....died only 3 times I believe the whole way through. It's a pretty good game, but the skill map is just way too large for me to want to plan a build out.

camo_sig.png
    übergeek wrote:
    So, I jsut finished Act 1 on normal as a duelist. I only used 3 jewels and didn't use a single skillpoint.....died only 3 times I believe the whole way through. It's a pretty good game, but the skill map is just way too large for me to want to plan a build out.

The trick I used when I started was to just find a Keystone (e.g. Avatar of Fire - All your physical damage is converted to Fire) and go straight towards that.

After a while you'll start to get a feel for what you need and you can just search around for those nodes.

There's also usually some really, really strong nodes right by where you start, so you can't go wrong with those.

I brought my laptop to work and finally got to sink a decent amount of time into this. I got past the Prison boss with a Ranger before heading to bed.

The graphics (especially the shadows) are really good for a free-to-play indie game. There have been several times I've been fiddling with my inventory screen and then see the shadows of a group of zombies come across the top of the screen before I see the zombies themselves. Additionally, (in my opinion) the character and monster models are also much closer to Diablo 1/2 than Diablo 3 is.

The automap could use some work though, because currently all you get is the full screen overlay like Diablo 1/2, but apparently they're adding options for a smaller minimap version in the next patch.

I really like their potion system. I was initially hording them because I hadn't bothered to read the description on them and was pleasantly surprised when I found out they not only had multiple uses, but also recharge. And then I found out that you could even get magical ones with special effects.

I also like the trading system. There is no gold, so no gold sinks like repair costs or anything. It also gives everything more value and has me second-guessing whether I want to identify a particular item, or if I should use a portal to return to town now.

The character building is great too. Stat progression and passive abilities are handled by Final Fantasy X's sphere grid (though I don't know if you can get an item to teleport around the grid or not). Active Skills and spells are handled by Final Fantasy VII's materia system (including the ability for the skill gems to level up the more you fight with them equipped). Plus some of the new stats you can have are pretty cool (ie. Energy Shield instead of Armor or Dodge, or the three different kinds of Charges you can have to buff your character when they trigger).

It is a beta though (a real beta, not a stress tess), so it is still a little rough around the edges (ie. NPCs don't have voices yet, Social menu is lacking, no way to trade in-game other than dropping items on the ground for the other play to pick up, etc.).

I guess the only real complaint I could see against it is that it can be a bit derivative. But really, Squaresoft hasn't revisited the Sphere Grid or Materia systems (unfortunately), so I'm glad that someone is, and I've been looking for a game to capture that Diablo 2 feel (Torchlight was close but not there, though it was still a great game) so it works for me.

It is also online-only, which sucks, but it's hard to argue when it's free-to-play and they offer all that League stuff and whatnot. Plus it is a new franchise, so it's not like it's a previously offline capable game suddenly forcing online-only in the sequel. On the plus side, I didn't experience any lag-related problems at all during my playtime (though admittedly that was just a single evening).

A new patch came out today: 0.9.7 Patch Notes

It wiped your passive tree again, so you'll have to remember to redo that when you log in.

Lars wrote:
    A new patch came out today: 0.9.7 Patch Notes

It wiped your passive tree again, so you'll have to remember to redo that when you log in.

Ooh, I may need to give this another try then.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Public Stress Test Weekend coming up: http://www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I just can't put my finger on why this game has no lasting appeal. It really bugs me, as it's solidly put together and I want to like it, but it just doesn't do anything to bring me back to it.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    at the moment theres no story or real endgame other than farming so it kind of lacks "reason to play" unless you are really into character planning

but ive been having a huge amoutn of fun with it, played well over 150 hours of it

really loving how much its improved since january when i last played - the passive nodes are SO much better, lots of new flavour text etc

obF2Wuw.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh, cool. I've been interested in this for a while, but not enough to try to get into the closed beta.

be aware there is literally zero story atm and half the game is basically not there

obF2Wuw.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Hence why I wasn't going out of my way to get sick nasty all up in that. But if it's just going to go ahead and throw itself at me, then I'm at least interested enough in the mechanics to do the aforementioned despicable acts.

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Open Beta starts in 45 minutes. I should be in game as Dyvion won't be in game until later. Don't know when the multiplayer starts... how much single player is required, etc. Look me up.

e: I'm in. Was playing through trying to complete a quest and then was unceremoniously dumped to the title screen... where I have to wait for 139 people to get off before I can get on. Shrug, open beta! So far loot whoring is fun.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
This discussion has been closed.