As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I have to write up my spring term project over the next 3 weeks.

CANNOT. BE. BOTHERED.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Oh, thank God, my professor is going to under-report my absences to the department, as long as I do okay for the rest of the semester.

I hadn't been doing so well so far, which I felt bad about because this is my fourth semester with this professor and she knows I know more German than I've been able to use this semester. I rocked all my previous classes with her. But it turns out I might have a neurological reason for suddenly being barely coherent even in English, much less German, so she's willing to work with me. So, if I'm lucky, I won't have to drop the class and I will graduate on time.

My fingers are crossed. All of them.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Muse Among Men, how did that test go?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Hehehehe, missed 6 of the 10 multiple choice questions

and I know I messed up on the derivation on one of the free response questions (I'll still probably get a bunch of points though since it was just the derivation that was messed up, my process was correct).

still probably gonna personally fail this (i.e. not make a B).

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Also got offered a housing contract today at thew new, nice, newly constructed dorms on campus.

I'm probably going to go ahead and accept it even though I've been waiting on my friend's stuff to go through, but he and his family are still seriously discussing a lot of the college stuff (money being one of the big ones), and he's still waiting on the university to accept his CAP-agreement, so it might be awhile.

So yeah. College.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    @Zonugal: I think I did very well on it!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    WOO!!!!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ah yes, a nice 9 part question to wrap up my already 3 page single spaced lab report.

edit: tempted to write down the findings for ovarian cyst in place of pregnancy and see if the instructor notices.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m1jb6oWeFp1qk2cmjo1_500.jpg

why can't i be this motivated and this happy with my work all the time

or at least during the day

uc3ufTB.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    My paitence for creative writing is at an all time low. My first class went so well, but its like its job was to filter out all of the bearable people for the second class.

Just, agh, the quality of work has just been unbelievable low on average, and the highs are nowhere close to what I encountered last semester. From some of the stuff in here its like there are people who consider shounen anime to be the height of entertainment or something. Because that is essentially what they have written. jaziek, that signature, that is my class. I always expect one or two people like this in these groups, but I didn't think this kind of concentration of them was possible just by random chance.

Of course the teacher is just irritating, and just seems to love everything while spouting whatever pops into his head. I can only describe him as not so much of a person, but more of a caricature that exists only to be hated by Hank Hill.

In better news, I've been accepted into two of the three schools I applied to transfer to (my second choice and my backup). Still keeping my fingers crossed for UC Irvine. With any luck I'll know in the next couple of weeks.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    Sweet. My German linguistics professor agreed to let me delay my presentation until I am slightly less medicated. Which is great, because right now I don't think I can even pronounce sociolinguistics, much less talk about it.

Staying awake through my next class is going to be a challenge.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Man I am getting fed up with people's bullshit.

This guy in my classes who I usually work on labs and assignments with for some reason goes MIA for like a week and a half. Misses a bunch of tests and labs. Texts me randomly asking for test reviews saying "he emailed the professors" and still gets to write the tests. Ok, whatever, I send him the reviews even though I feel like just brushing him off.

Yesterday we have a lab to do, kid is a no show. I send him texts asking if he's going to show up to work on the lab (to both finish up the one due yesterday, and work on the one we actually had to do). No response. I'm not stupid, I know he's reading them. Its funny how his phone works perfectly fine when he needs something but not when I need something from him (like... living up to his responsibilities).

So I do the lab, work with other people, no big deal. He shows up today.

"ok I'll do this section of the lab writeup and"

me: "nope dude, you weren't there for the lab. You don't get to put your name on my work". He says he emailed the prof about missing the lab....great... what does that have to do with me?

He tries giving me a pack of smokes as some kind of weird apology. Says he "forgot we had a lab yesterday" (I... what?)

Yeah, sorry, I hold people accountable for their actions. Its what has always been expected of me, its how I treat other people. Even "friends". There's more to it than just this lab, a bunch of other assignments that we need to work on that I was seriously starting to wonder if I was going to have to do alone.

This whole situation makes me feel like a bitchy asshole but I don't really regret any of my actions.

The thing is too I could totally get away with putting his name on my work even though he wasn't there, because my school apparently doesn't care about academic misconduct in the slightest. It seems like a totally foreign concept to them. Having gone to an actually reputable school before this, I am kind of appalled at what a shit show this college is.

I really needed to get all that out of my system, ugh

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Nah fuck that guy, he's just going to keep using you if you let him.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    thats basically how I feel about it

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    i mean your reaction is reasonable, but really who cares. you did the work and learned and grew and all that shit, there's really no reason not to help a shitlord out by cutting him some slack and letting him do whatever

but i've never been the kinda guy to give a shit about that kind of thing, i always do my fair share and if someone else doesn't, i can't be arsed to obstruct 'em

maybe i'm just dumb but i would've been like "bro don't do this again but i don't want you to fail so here is what you need"

also what i came in here to post

so my history professor just asked the whole class if they knew where serbia was
    crickets
    then he asks if anyone knows where serbia is
    crickets
    one guy pipes up "i've heard of it before", and the teacher explains it's in the baltics/what yugoslavia was and then asks if anyone is familiar with that whole region
    crickets

ugh

[edit] this teacher ain't so great either, though. i mean i really like him in a lot of ways (he's a vietnam vet and a crazy dude who always wears a suit and acts really weird and he literally just told the class mitt romney is a horrible coward who can't be trusted, which rocks) but his understanding history/current events is either inaccurate or oversimplified when he expresses it to us

he just told the class only one other country on earth has the capacity to nuke us to oblivion, referring to russia, and i almost just raised my hand and listed the nuclear weapons states

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i mean your reaction is reasonable, but really who cares. you did the work and learned and grew and all that shit, there's really no reason not to help a shitlord out by cutting him some slack and letting him do whatever

but i've never been the kinda guy to give a shit about that kind of thing, i always do my fair share and if someone else doesn't, i can't be arsed to obstruct 'em

maybe i'm just dumb but i would've been like "bro don't do this again but i don't want you to fail so here is what you need"

if this was some assignment, sure, whatever.

labs? no, fuck you, you show up for the lab or you don't get the mark.

When I was in university if I was late for a lab, just late, I had to do the entire lab myself. And I'm not talking about some bullshit lab with 10 questions. We're talking a 20 or 30 page engineering writeup. Sure, in this college program it is a bullshit lab writeup with 10 questions. But whatever.

So no, I'm not going to help a shitlord out with that. I'm still putting myself at risk by having agreed to work with him on some other assignments, because I said I would and I'm not going to go back on my word. And like I said I still provided him with the material he needed to study for the tests and shit. I think I'm being pretty reasonable. I don't feel good about it at all, though.

And yeah maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion - from the tone of my posts it sounds like some crisis, but it really isn't. I'm just a bit emotionally charged about it because its putting me into a position I don't like to be in.

Dude, he's a douche. You have every right to be pissed, and frankly you're being nicer than he deserves.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I don't understand you C++ everything says you should be receiving the right variables now why are you returning 0 all the time!

I like programming right until something happens and I have no idea why/can't figure out why.

icGJy2C.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Using doubles where I should have used floats.

hrrnng

icGJy2C.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The second-years are beginning the process for their advancement to candidacy, one component of which is to develop an independent research proposal.

I am currently reading the rough draft of one such proposal. The idea is fine, but whoa boy do I hope that my presentation of my proposal last year was more coherent than this.
    It probably was not.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Using doubles where I should have used floats.

hrrnng

Would that my biggest problems was something like that... heh.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    may still get the chance to graduate this fall! pretty happy about that

just need 6 hours in summer 2 and then all i'll have to take is 9 in the fall.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    My Directing teacher said if we didn't have footage to show him last week we couldn't pass the class. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems a bit excessive. It's just a daily grade to see if we're continuing our work, but apparently it's so important we have it that if we missed it we suddenly fail?

That's more damaging than missing finals.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Time to start and finish the first of two major projects over the next three days!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I am studying carbohydrates in chemistry class right now

if I go and get some carb-laden foods like pizza or cookies

will eating those help me in studying carbs?

They will not help you understand the anomeric effect, no.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    but will it help me learn Haworth projections? Those are what's on the quiz tomorrow.

What is there to understand about Haworth projections? Groups are either up or down.

Oh, I understand those already.

I just need an excuse to get some pizza.

Why the hell are you using chemistry as an excuse to get pizza?

Go get pizza because pizza is damn awesome.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I had pizza today

they burned it

today was not the best day

Baidol wrote: »
    Why the hell are you using chemistry as an excuse to get pizza?

Go get pizza because pizza is damn awesome.

HELL YEAH

edited March 2012
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I had pizza today

they burned it

Today was Harry Potter dinner night at my dorm.

The entire dining hall was decorated. It was divided into 4 sections, one for each house.

There was British food and for dessert, cakes-4 of them, each decorated with the colors of one of the 4 houses.

The drink station was relabled the Polyjuice Potion bar.

Today was the best day.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That is pretty badass

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    What a coincidence! I had pizza today.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I had pizza today

they burned it

The entire dining hall was decorated. It was divided into 4 sections, one for each house.

There was British food and for dessert, cakes-4 of them, each decorated with the colors of one of the 4 houses.

Today was the best day.

I imagine Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and Slytherin were packed, while only the creepy kid that nobody likes sat in Hufflepuff

I had a gluten free pizza substitute

it was... average..

Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I had pizza today

they burned it

Today was the best day.

I imagine Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and Slytherin were packed, while only the creepy kid that nobody likes sat in Hufflepuff

Hahah, yeah! Totally.
    I sat in Hufflepuff.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    for once my brother has a better dining hall

too bad it won't last

fuck you bugboy

there is a burger place 5 minutes away from my dorm that has been on tv

TWICE.

This discussion has been closed.