As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology

cerberuslogo.png

unledpev.png
Mass Effect Wiki - Suicide Mission Guide (ME2) - Import Saves (ME1/2 PC & XBOX ONLY) -
Face Codes (ME2)

300pxme3logo.png
Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth. Available Everywhere NOW.

List of Origin/XBL/PSN names here! (Join here!)

Join the Steam group!

Xbox Metatag = PennyA ME3

ME3 Pre-Release Videos
Normandy Tour 2 - Normandy Tour - Hijacking an Atlas - Palaven Gameplay - Live Action Trailer - Mars Gameplay - Galaxy Map - CG Trailer - FemShep Trailer - Ruthless and Intelligent Enemies - Adrenaline-Pumping Gameplay - Integrated Storytelling - Customizable Arsenal - Voice Cast - Multiplayer Trailer - James Vega - Tuchanka Gameplay - Squad Leader Gameplay - E3 Trailer - Earth Demo - Sur'Kesh Demo - Reaper Base Demo - Kinect Demo

More Mass Effect

Games!
200pxmasseffectoriginal.jpg masseffectgalaxylogo.jpg
200pxfinalboxartme2.jpg

Comics!
180pxmasseffectredempti.jpg 180pxmasseffectevolutio.png 180pxmasseffectinvasion.jpg 73322203.png
200pxme2aria.png 43458948.png vegat.png

Books!
230pxmerevelation.jpg 190pxmeascension.jpg 190pxmeretributioncover.jpg 190pxmasseffectdeceptio.png

A motion picture! + An anime!

Community Sundries

@TychoCelchuuu has been kind enough to provide peeks at Commander Shepard's facebook page:
one |two| three | FOUR! | FIVE!!

@GoodKingJayIII provided the following way to skip much of the introduction for the PC version of ME2:
A lot of people don't like the opening 10 minute intro movie, but there is a way to get rid of it. Go to:

C:....mass effect 2\BioGameMovies

Change the extension of the following files to .bak:

Opening_End_Seq.bik

Opening_End_SeqFM.bik

Opening_Seq_INT.bik

ProCer_300_FirstFlight.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_INT.bak

ProNor_Pod2.bik

ProNorEscape.bik

ProNorEscapeAsh.bik

ProNorEscapeKaid.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_ESN.bik

ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw.bak

BWLogo.bak

ProNor_Shepard_Rebuilt.bik

This will not get rid of everything, you still have to watch the non-CGI cutscenes and Save Joker. But it does cut down quite a bit. If you want those movies back just rename them to .bik again. If you're worried your renaming the wrong thing, you can download a BIK palyer and confirm the files.

3. For those who hate planet scanning and hacking, there is an easy ini file edit floating around. This is just a colaseced editor that you guys have already been playing with but this one seemed pretty idiot proof to me. This again needs an external program but is non-excutable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjzlzzzmyj

This has all kinds of stuff like god mode, extra weapons, infinite ammo etc., but if you just want the money, just use it to get your resources, save, then exit the game and revert to the non-hacked state.

@korodullin has kindly offered some R&R with a wonderful game of bingo!

bingofinalv2.jpg

@Spoit has a far more simple variation:
me2bingo.jpg

@curly haired boy strikes back with awesome wallpapers taken from the ME2:
@Orca has kindly complied all of the shamelessly awful pictures posted in this thread.

@Orca explains how to transfer ME1 to Origin:
From the other thread, enter your info here: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

then create or link an existing EA classic account. Origin should figure out what's up without you doing anything more at that point.

*If buying ME somewhere other than Origin and it doesn't contain BDTS or PS, contact Origin CS and they can get it fixed for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2mdZ23eP8
-Tal wrote: »

Massive. End. Spoilers. DO NOT CLICK. SERIOUSLY.

From @Yougottawanna a Brilliant dissection as to why the ending is so bad in Red Letter Media Style:
And a followup:
From @manwiththemachinegun SECRET TRUE ENDING HHEYYYYAAA!!!!!

True Last Boss!

Mass Effect 3 Weapon Data
BSN Post with (usually) Up to Date info on most aspects of Multiplayer for all your obsessive planning needs!
BSN Post with Weapon/Mod Rarities (I.E. What packs you will likely get them from)
List of Equipment, separated by class and rarity, including race/class combos and equipment. Use it for a personal checklist to know when to move up to the next pack (to not waste credits)
GUNS
Common (Blue)
- M-3 Predator
- M-23 Katana
- M-4 Shuriken
- M-92 Mantis
- M-8 Avenger

Uncommon (Silver)
- M-5 Phalanx
- M-22 Eviscerator
- M-9 Tempest
- M-12 Locust
- M-13 Raptor
- M-27 Scimitar
- M-97 Viper
- M-29 Incisor
- M-96 Mattock
- M-15 Vindicator
- Phaeston

Rare (Gold)
- M-25 Hornet
- M-6 Carnifex
- Geth Pulse Rifle
- Geth Plasma Shotgun
- M-300 Claymore
- M-98 Widow
- Arc Pistol
- Disciple
- Graal Spike Thrower
- M-37 Falcon
- M-76 Revenant

Ultra Rare (Black/N7)
- Black Widow
- M-358 Talon
- M-99 Saber
- M-77 Paladin
- M-11 Wraith
- Javelin
- Scorpion
- N7 Eagle
- N7 Crusader
- N7 Hurricane
- N7 Valiant

MODS
Common:
- SMG Scope
- SMG Magazine Upgrade
- SMG Heat Sink
- Pistol Scope
- Pistol Magazine Upgrade
- Pistol High-Caliber Barrel
- Assault Rifle Percision Scope
- Assault Rifle Magazine Upgrade
- Assault Rifle Stability Damper
- Sniper Rifle Spare Thermal Clip
- Shotgun Smart Choke
- Shotgun High Caliber Barrel
- Shotgun Blade Attachment

Uncommon:
- SMG Ultralight Materials
- SMG High Caliber Barrel
- Pistol Piercing Mod
- Pistol Melee Stunner
- Assault Rifle Piercing Mod
- Assault Rifle Extended Barrel
- Sniper Rifle Extended Barrel
- Sniper Rifle Enhanced Scope
- Sniper Rifle Piercing Mod
- Shotgun Shredder Mod
- Shotgun Spare Thermal Clip

CLASS/RACE PACKS (MAX IV HUMANS - VI ALIENS)
Common
-Human Male Adept
-Human Female Adept
-Human Male Soldier
-Human Female Soldier
-Human Male Engineer
-Human Female Engineer
-Human Male Sentinel
-Human Female Sentinel
-Human Male Infiltrator
-Human Female Infiltrator
-Human Male Vanguard
-Human Female Vanguard

Uncommon:
- Turian Soldier
- Salarian Engineer
- Turian Sentinel
- Quarian Infiltrator
- Asari Vanguard
- Drell Adept

Rare:
- Asari Adept
- Krogan Soldier
- Krogan Sentinel
- Quarian Engineer
- Salarian Infiltrator
- Drell Vanguard

EQUIPMENT UPGRADES (III max up to V total)
Rare:
Cobra Missile Launcher
Thermal Clip Pack
Ops Survival Pack
Medi-Gel

Special thanks to @-Tal for putting together an awesome OP.
OP Shamelessly stolen from @jdarksun who stole it from @forar who stole it from @jdarksun who stole it from @-Tal
830pxinterrupticons.png

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

Yeah, nice way to express it.

Entitled whining gamers demand ending by sending cupcakes to Bioware. Clearly the vocal minority (who raised $1005 dollars to do this incredibly silly thing) are at it again trying to ruin everything for the curiously silent majority of true art appreciating afficionados, those bastards.

There, copy and paste that to all the major gaming sites. I AM A GAMES JOURNALIST NOW.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just realized: There is no mention of Quads in ME3! They had better rectify this oversight in the DLC that is going to rectify the ending!

Edit: Well, shit. We have a professional in the thread! Better spruce the place up. Don't you dare quote me out of context, Aegeri!

Xeddicus on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I totally ripped the OP from the last few. Don't care. It's great. If something is broken just let me know and I'll try to fix it. Vanilla doesn't like OP's that are so huge. It doesn't show all the text so I have to fiddle with it in notepad.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I just realized: There is no mention of Quads in ME3! They had better rectify this oversight in the DLC that is going to rectify the ending!

Badassfully: Yes there is.

Now I think of it, did they make the "Are you contagious" joke in ME3? I'm not actually sure if they did.

edited March 2012
    Comradebot wrote: »

Where?! First I miss the Badassfully and now this!

Xeddicus on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    People tend to focus on their scores a lot in multiplayer (including on this very board), but I've found that scores stopped reflecting my performance as soon as I started playing PUG games in Silver and realized my teammates were largely unorganized and ineffectually built. I can still usually get the highest point amounts, but doing the stuff that matters - breaking up flanking attempts, guarding hallways, AOE stuns with low damage, etc. - are all low-point contributions.

Some of the best people I ever played with were the lowest-scoring, and it's easy to forget that

dN0T6ur.png
    edited March 2012
    Wyborn wrote: »
    People tend to focus on their scores a lot in multiplayer (including on this very board), but I've found that scores stopped reflecting my performance as soon as I started playing PUG games in Silver and realized my teammates were largely unorganized and ineffectually built. I can still usually get the highest point amounts, but doing the stuff that matters - breaking up flanking attempts, guarding hallways, AOE stuns with low damage, etc. - are all low-point contributions.

Some of the best people I ever played with were the lowest-scoring, and it's easy to forget that

I thought your score actually played into your XP reward. I.E. score = xp + bonuses. Have I been totally wrong about how xp is calculated? Because I don't think so. If I get 80k points on a bronze I'm still hitting 200k xp. If get 20k I'm getting like 100-150k.

What I mean is even when it's not an epeen thing, a salarian engineer simply gets less xp.

The Dude With Herpes on

I thought your score actually played into your XP reward. I.E. score = xp + bonuses. Have I been totally wrong about how xp is calculated? Because I don't think so. If I get 80k points on a bronze I'm still hitting 200k xp. If get 20k I'm getting like 100-150k.

What I mean is even when it's not an epeen thing, a salarian engineer simply gets less xp.

I am pretty sure that everyone gets the same XP, which is everyone's combined score + the team bonuses

dN0T6ur.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

I thought the XP at the end was all added together and everyone got the same total. The individual point totals are just there for dick waving competitions.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    orly?

Well, that then negates my whole point.

Nevermind.

In summary, if you don't see a salarian engineer in your silver/gold man(woman) up and do it for the good of everyone.

A team of three Salarian Engineers, with three Decoys (with the shock upgrades) running at all times, plus a single Infiltrator of any race.

I think that might be the most unkillable team???

dN0T6ur.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I pretty consistently top score with the Salarian/Human Engineers. You just need to be the first person to use Overload/Energy Drain so everyone is procing Tech Bursts off your stuff. Being a good shot with a nice weapon helps too.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited March 2012
    Is anyone else contemplating how to make people so mad they send you hundreds of cupcakes?

Because I sure can't but I sure want to! I feel this campaign might backfire spectacularly.

Aegeri on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    I wasted my Birthday playing BF3 on the 360 (which I borrowed. which I also didn't enjoy) instead of playing ME3 with the bros. Do-over?

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Your individual XP is simply the total XP divided by the number of players. I played with an infiltrator on silver who never revived, just kept sniping. I mean he "won"; it's just that the team wiped on wave 10. I think you can see if everyone's pulling their own weight from the point totals. Other than that, I don't see points mattering at all especially on Gold.

Comradebot wrote: »

Where?! First I miss the Badassfully and now this!

Badassfully: I'm not 100% certain, think it was a conversation with someone I invited up to my cabin, but there was most certainly a hint towards quads in it.

Aegeri wrote: »
    Is anyone else contemplating how to make people so mad they send you hundreds of cupcakes?

Because I sure can't but I sure want to! I feel this campaign might backfire spectacularly.

I'm even worse off- I need come up with a way to ensure they're chocolate cupcakes...Wait, maybe if I make it absolute crap...no, that didn't work for BioWare and the ending, damn.

I'm even worse off- I need come up with a way to ensure they're chocolate cupcakes...Wait, maybe if I make it absolute crap...no, that didn't work for BioWare and the ending, damn.

So long as they don't send you cake (as the discussions in these threads have proven repeatedly, you do NOT want to eat cake for ANY reason) I think you will be fine.

Quite frankly, I would be pissing people off as much as possible if I could get free cupcakes every time. How often do you see a developer do an awesome job and get cupcakes? Never? Damn straight.

This is the beginning of the end for gaming, the SLIPPERY SLOPE OF CUPCAKE DOOM IS HERE.

If you could get cupcakes simply for making people angry I'd have to move out of my house from how many I'd have, just from the ME threads alone.

No, you have to do something that people actually care about, and have to actually matter to get cupcakes. :lol:

All the cupcakes have razor blades in them.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You'd have to have a quad to demand a cupcake from a disgruntled Mass Effect fan.

EDIT: Badassfully, Wrex exclaims that Mordin has a quad while he's busy being awkward in the med bay.

naengwen on
    TOGSolid wrote: »

All the cupcakes have razor blades in them.

Badassfully:
    Just remember to stir with your penis before adding in razor blades. The opposite could be... problematic.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    A rather fitting image meme:

2160595-00044kyx_super.jpeg

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    So here is a quick question for people who have played through ME3.. I'm kinda prepping up now. And am debating about a ME2 romance. Not sure if this is spoiler worthy or not. I'm kinda leaning toward no, but I'll spoil just in case people are uber sensitive about knowing who is romanceable
    I'm currently going with a bachelor Shepard and am debating between having him hook up with Jack or perhaps Tali (maybe...mainly because she is a party member in 3)

Or waiting to romance Liara in 3.

Are the squadmate romances a ton better than continued romances ( I heard from some that continued romances from me2 aren't that great, but just wanted to double check)

• DarisDaris Registered User regular
    So what flavor of cupcake will they like the most? A, B, or C? Do you think the artificial coloring put into the exact same icing will constitute a significant difference in taste to them?

Oh ho ho ho... that IS rich.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm all over the blue cupcakes.

Man that reminds me, I haven't baked cupcakes in years. With some really simple confectionery sugar icing, because that just goes so well with a nice chocolatey cake of cup.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Daris wrote: »
    So what flavor of cupcake will they like the most? A, B, or C? Do you think the artificial coloring put into the exact same icing will constitute a significant difference in taste to them?

The best thing is I posted about this on my facebook and a friend of mine wrote (essentially), as a clearly intended joke (obvious ending spoilers):
    The only ending that would piss me off is if Shepard became the reapers or some such stupid shit.

So I am sitting here thinking "Um, the control ending you mean" but I just can't type that because, man.

I mean how do I respond to that? I just can't can I?

Aegeri on
    Badassfully: I love baking cupcakes.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The best thing is I posted about this on my facebook and a friend of mine wrote (essentially), obvious ending spoilers:
    The only ending that would piss me off is if Shepard became the reapers or some such stupid shit

Get him to bring it up next time you see him face to face.

Then stare at him for a second, roll your eyes and quickly change the subject.

Throw a nervous laugh in there for good measure.

naengwen on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    So here is a quick question for people who have played through ME3.. I'm kinda prepping up now. And am debating about a ME2 romance. Not sure if this is spoiler worthy or not. I'm kinda leaning toward no, but I'll spoil just in case people are uber sensitive about knowing who is romanceable
    I'm currently going with a bachelor Shepard and am debating between having him hook up with Jack or perhaps Tali (maybe...mainly because she is a party member in 3)

Or waiting to romance Liara in 3.

Are the squadmate romances a ton better than continued romances ( I heard from some that continued romances from me2 aren't that great, but just wanted to double check)

Jack's stuff in ME3 was almost making me regret not romancing her. And I like Ash as a romance option. It's pretty great.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Wait, when are they sending cupcakes to Bioware? I'll be in Edmonton again soon, I'm just gonna go and hang out at their offices and get free fucking cupcakes.

Are you the magic man?
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »

The best thing is I posted about this on my facebook and a friend of mine wrote (essentially), obvious ending spoilers:
    The only ending that would piss me off is if Shepard became the reapers or some such stupid shit

Be sure to conclude the conversation with, "I've got to get back to it."

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited March 2012
    I can't wait to see what the people complaining about artistic integrity and entitled whining gamers will say about this.

Actually, I don't need to see it, my post above is probably exactly what they will write.

Edit: Frei if you get any cupcakes make sure to get a picture!

Aegeri on
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    I need to get cupcake mix when i go grocery shopping now...

edited March 2012
    kedinik wrote: »
    naengwen wrote: »

Be sure to conclude the conversation with, "I've got to get back to it."

I'll just tell him I've got to do more oven calibrations.

As I have a sudden urge to bake cupcakes.

Aegeri on
    This is now the official G&T cupcake thread.

Cupcakes and the consumption thereof: Discuss.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I prefer muffins.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    This is now the official G&T cupcake thread.

Cupcakes and the consumption thereof: Discuss.

Except (ME3 ending spoilers):
    You can only bake red, green or blue colored cupcakes, but it doesn't matter as they all taste the same.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    I prefer muffins.

worse than hitler.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg