As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May the odds be ever in your favour! [Hunger Games Movie]

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    It is "baller" indeed. For someone who has not read Battle Royal, it is a good compare and contrast!

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    So its not like they're carbon copies, though they are similar themes. Is Battle Royal worth a read, anyway?

I think it's worth a read, yeah. The translation is actually pretty good (in most places - there are some errors, but it is still clear what was meant), and it's a pretty good "action book", if that's a thing.

I could do with an 'action book' to read so yes, I shall give it a try!

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    It's worth a read, but it is pulpy as hell and fairly graphic, so be forewarned. I do like it lots!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Thanks. I really, really hate it when internet people start hating on a thing just because it's popular, so in this case I decided to actually do the research. As usual, there is some truth to the argument, but it gets taken way too far when people try to condense it to 140 characters.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Said Liiya, cleaning the blood off her axe...

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    I don't mind a bit of violence!

• Options
    edited March 2012

I will say that it is a good deal more graphic in the violence department than THG. Some of the attacks are just like :shock: . It may just be that there are more of them, though. It's pretty easy to forget how nasty some of the stuff is in THG.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote: »

I've er... gone from floristry to forestry!

"Ugh, I liked Battle Royal before Hunger Games". damn hipsters.

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Now I'm picturing liiya in a black derby hat and white clothes dancing to singing in the rain

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    lostwords wrote: »
    Now I'm picturing liiya in a black derby hat and white clothes dancing to singing in the rain

Indeed.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular

Oh thank god!

That explains the shovel too, right? Not burying graves, digging holes for deep roots.

Although... is that a human skull in the compost bag?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options

I will say that it is a good deal more graphic in the violence department than THG. Some of the attacks are just like :shock: . It may just be that there are more of them, though. It's pretty easy to forget how nasty some of the stuff is in THG.

Funnily though, I've yet to see THG film, seeing it this weekend, so as soon as I've seen it I'll toddle off to the library and hunt it out.

That is an ordinary weekend for me Lost!

• Options

Oh thank god!

That explains the shovel too, right? Not burying graves, digging holes for deep roots.

Although... is that a human skull in the compost bag?

Right.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular

Sorry, the category is now 1960's Comedy Films set in Flower Shops.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I saw Battle Royal back in dizzay the without knowing even a damn thing about it. The subtitles were in Finnish and Swedish simultaneously and teens were gettin' gutted. Enjoyable!

Hunger Games seems very much less ironic and cool than Battle Royal. It looks like it has its serious hat on all the dang old time. I doesn't seem to me to be unlikely that Hunger Games writer person took absolutely no inspiration from Battle Royal at all, because holy shit the concept of real people killing each for our entertainment and distraction is almost realised every time we turn on the TV and is also ancient. Bread and circus and such. Also, Deathrace 2000!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ruckus wrote: »

Who is Roger Corman?

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Ruckus wrote: »

Who is Roger Corman?

Ding Ding.
    FEEEEED MEEEEE

• Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I saw Battle Royal back in dizzay the without knowing even a damn thing about it. The subtitles were in Finnish and Swedish simultaneously and teens were gettin' gutted. Enjoyable!

Hunger Games seems very much less ironic and cool than Battle Royal. It looks like it has its serious hat on all the dang old time. I doesn't seem to me to be unlikely that Hunger Games writer person took absolutely no inspiration from Battle Royal at all, because holy shit the concept of real people killing each for our entertainment and distraction is almost realised every time we turn on the TV and is also ancient. Bread and circus and such. Also, Deathrace 2000!

Well, the book for BR is (mostly) serious. I haven't seen either movie, so I can't compare them. There some other similarities beyond the surface-level one that are strangely specific, though.

• Options
    Well, the way I see it, the ones you mentioned apply to a lot of other fiction in that particular sub genre. Among them, Death Race 2000! They kinda seem like stables of the "distracting games that demean human spirit - often in dystopian futures" stories to me.

I bet some Greek somewhere wrote about a couple of pancrateurs, all naked and oiled up, not wanting to off each other after pancrating through others.

I haven't read the particular books or any book of such a topic though, so maybe this discussion should come to an end, cause what the fuck could I even say beyond this point?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Well, the way I see it, the ones you mentioned apply to a lot of other fiction in that particular sub genre. Among them, Death Race 2000! They kinda seem like stables of the "distracting games that demean human spirit - often in dystopian futures" stories to me.

I bet some Greek somewhere wrote about a couple of pancrateurs, all naked and oiled up, not wanting to off each other after pancrating through others.

I haven't read the particular books or any book of such a topic though, so maybe this discussion should come to an end, cause what the fuck could I even say beyond this point?

I actually haven't seen Death Race 2000. It seems pretty similar as well - maybe the guy who wrote BR saw that? Who knows! :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I think your sig goes perfectly with the end of that post.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Death Race 2000 should not be seen by anyone. Not anyone sober anyway.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    VhHan.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    hahaha

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    the point is that BR isn't unique and the idea of people being selected to fight to the death for entertainment is as old as human civilization.

sometimes they're criminals, sometimes they're slaves, sometimes they're children, sometimes its just some dudes who think its a cool thing to do.

It's not new.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So apparently a friend of mine is an extra in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    Pottermore?

YES THANK YOU

• Options
    ok it is not open yet and is still in beta

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd like to be Ravenclaw, methinks.

Gryffindor always seemed kinda full of themselves.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm going for Hufflepuff. Filled with girls with low self esteem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Z5_wipT2o

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Yeah I just wandered out of the D&D thread.

Apparently if you were even remotely surprised that Rue was black, you're a horrible racist.

Forgot about that. Yeah that guy, too. Apparently missing one line of exposition makes me a racist now. Good to know!

That's not was Drez was saying, though! Did you read my posts in that thread??

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    He was basically saying that showing any kind of surprise that a character was of a different nationality than what you expected made you a little bit racist.

Not all the tweets from that article were racist. Some were just "oh, was anyone else surprised that Rue was black. I don't remember her being black in the book" and based on just reading that, it didn't seem negative or racist, just of surprise.

Some were horribly, horribly racist though.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I'm going for Hufflepuff. Filled with girls with low self esteem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Z5_wipT2o

this is great

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    oh my god this article is hilarious

a highlight:
    “I told my husband I guess we’ll have to go to an 11 AM showing and get the senior discount”, one disappointed member told me

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So apparently a friend of mine is an extra in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Some friends of mine are extras in the D-Day Lewis Lincoln movie! I'm a bit more excited for that one.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    gingerhaze wrote:
    Did I dream this part?

(Spoilers???)
    tumblr_m1kjkv4Iaq1qeqx7ko1_500.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I miss the forum's jump-to-post feature

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »

Indeed.

I was thinking liiya as Mr. Blonde.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I miss the forum's jump-to-post feature

I cannot remember where I got it, but someone's got a script that will allow you to put it into at least your own posts

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Well tell them you like running man before battle royale.

Out hipster those bitches.

Then make that Battle Royale Ruth cheese thing everyone is doing on Facebook.