As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ink blobs and monsters (now with crappy inkwash)

MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin techRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Work from the ink camp I'm taking. More to come. 50x35 cm with regular "dipped" pens (I don't know how you freaks call them).

elew.jpg

ulic.jpg

Mayday on

• Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those Fucking Elves would be a great name for a sitcom.

I really like the shading on the 2nd ink landscape

multimoog on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    multimoog wrote: »
    Those Fucking Elves would be a great name for a sitcom.

I really like the shading on the 2nd ink landscape

So Corgoles says to Dreden, "She's got Orc hands."

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What the...!? No accusations of ripping off PA? Shame on you, guys.
    tree.jpg
    balcon.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hecka RE!!! Nice stuff mang. Good to see you're still doing good ol' classical drawing along with your 3d stuff.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why you all the time gotsa be rippin off PA?

multimoog on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That column has Gabe hands.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's a pillar, you fuckwit noob. Besides, it's my personal style that just happens to resemble Gabe's.

Mayday on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys make me laugh with your comments, that's why I keep coming back. In any case, Mayday, these are incredible! How do you go about drawing them?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, Mayday, those pen and ink studies are faboo.

I don't know if I'd be able to handle doing involved drawings with that stuff, I'd smear it or get a giant blob somewhere, or something silly like that. Nice work, though!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the warm words, peeps!
    ND: Have you tried it though? This is my first time with this tool and I'm already in love with it. It has all the advantages of both a pencil and a micron. If you're confident with your hand (and I'm sure you are, more than me) everything works just fine. Do try it!

Toastee: They are drawn from nature. For the bigger formats I usually mark the most basic proportions down with a pencil (I'm not yet confident enough to sketch with the pen). Then I grab this thing. The tip is replaceable- there are different sizes. You just dip the tip in the little ink bottle and draw until there's no more ink on the tip- what else did you expect?
    Oh yeah- obviously you have to use either hatching or ink-wash for the shading. I tried ink-wash today and it looked pretty good until I did the trees:/ More scans tomorrow!

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This one looked pretty good before I added those goddamn trees. Also, the photo didn't go very well :/
    obs.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Edit: Nevermind.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Way to go, quoting my image just after I post it.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I much preferred them without the wash, but if you go over the linework again with a thin black pen, it should do the trick.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Try to dampen up the surface a little bit with some watter before you apply the brush, this will help you get a smoother tone.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Edit: Forget it.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh gosh...Grow up.

Looking good, Mayday. I've always envied people that can draw architecture... I find it hard and incredibly boring because of how repetitive the details are, do you ever get bored drawing the same window over and over again?

Virum on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Edit: Forget I said anything.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »
    Way to go, quoting my image just after I post it.

Well please excuse me master. I didn't feel like going through and nixing the image code from your quote. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry.

Ass.

Read your comment again, then tell us who's the ass.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Traditional architecture isn't hard to draw at all. All it takes is studying the proportions and relationship between the "parts" of the building and knowing your perspectives. Typically, more classical-styled buildings have a formula to them (ie the size of a column in relation to a window, spacing between objects, etc, all have a ratio). Rendering architecture is definitely not for everyone though, I might just be weird and take joy seeing the whole building "come together" in such a logical way. But then again, it is my major.

Also Mayday, you are mistaken sir. That is in fact a column. Hence the term "colonnade."

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Easy there, Creambun, me and rfilyaw are just goofing around :P (I hope?). Thanks for the tip though- the camp is over, but as soon as I find the time, I'm gonna rework it.

Yeap, Virum: as bread put it, it gives me joy to see the building come together. When drawing repetitive elements I just split the work into vertical and horizontal lines, making the work as quick and easy as hatching.

Bread: a column is round in its horizontal cross-section. The pillar is its later (not classical) derivative, square in its cross section. At least that's what they taught me on history of architecture.

Mayday on