As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    Killing people with Sniper's ult is like knocking a little kid down.
    Awesome

tf2_sig.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Test build updated early this week. Druid is in.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/7652/
    GAMEPLAY
    - Added Lone Druid!
    - Fixed small bug in the timing of sequential attacks.
    - Lifestealer: Fixed being unable to Infest Mud Golems.
    - Weaver: Fixed Time Lapse interaction with Aegis.
    - Ancient Apparition: Fixed a bug where Ice Blast could get stuck on the map.

UI
    - The top bar game timer no longer is reset when a game ends.
    - Heroes in top bar now draw grayscale when dead.
    - The buyback cooldown time now appears in the gold tooltip.
    - The buyback cooldown now appears in the form minutes:seconds.

VISUALS
    - Added a buff/debuff effect for Razor's Static Link.
    - Added effect for fountain heal.
    - Fixed heroes drawing parts of their models in portraits when sheeped, hexxed, etc.
    - Updated the effects for Shadow Demon's Shadow Poison.
    - Decreased darkness of fogged areas

BOTS
    - Fixed bots being too aggressive about destroying enemy items.
    - Fixed bug where bots would pick up items like Rapier or Aegis without giving humans a chance at them.
    - After all humans have picked heroes, the remaining bots will now immediately pick their heroes.
    - Fixed bug where bots would try to farm the same neutral camp that a human was farming.
    - Added support for bots buying and placing Observer Wards:
    . The more of a support a hero is, the more likely they are to buy wards.
    . If they have a human teammate, they will not purchase enough wards to fully deplete the store.
    . They will ward the runes, their jungle, and sometimes the enemy jungle (depending on how pushed the lanes are).
    . They won't go to locations to place wards if they think it's too dangerous.
    - Fixed bug that would sometimes prevent bots from defending their top/bottom lanes when the tier 3 towers/racks are gone.
    - Fixed bug where if the incoming threat was small, no one would ever be a selected to defend (typically resulting in no defensive response to creeps).

steam_sig.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Looks good:
    S50A1.jpg

Can someone explain this hero? I'm not a big fan of any hero that has pets because of control issues, but I might rework my hotkeys if this guy has potential to be fun.

Edit: So the bear has an inventory? Aww man.

Hoz on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Lone_Druid

Good rundown on his abilities. I've only played him in HoN (literally identical character), but he's pretty fun.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Looks good:
    S50A1.jpg

Can someone explain this hero?
    I'm not a big fan of any hero that has pets because of control issues, but I might rework my hotkeys if this guy has potential to be fun.

Edit: So the bear has an inventory? Aww man.

super hard carry and good pusher.

usually jungles and rushes radiance on the bear
    but can also solo lane pretty well--harrass with the bear/last hit with the hero

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Yay, Silly Bear!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    First no bear sillybear I see gets a prize from me. Because those guys are the best.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    Usually when you try and start a source game with one running it says a generic source error, but Dota 2 says this.

customer.png

tf2_sig.png
    And more f2p rumours coming out of SEA.

:<

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    Rumors? Page it has pretty much been a fact for a while now. Stop being in denial.

Also this is a good thing.

steam_sig.png
    Also new exploring music this patch

steam_sig.png
    I am resigned to that fate, but still hoping the actual f2p system they go with isn't too dumb.

My problem is still that most every f2p system is designed to bilk dedicated players while keeping the basic entry barrier low. Their very existence is repugnant to me.

stream
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I am resigned to that fate, but still hoping the actual f2p system they go with isn't too dumb.

My problem is still that most every f2p system is designed to bilk dedicated players while keeping the basic entry barrier low. Their very existence is repugnant to me.

Valve doesn't do that.

• TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    41-11. I'm so fucking glad I had that opportunity to make a comeback, Valve. Wouldn't want that silly defeatist attitude getting in the way of our fun, now would we?

I don't know how long they'll be able to keep their greed in check.

I can see why they'd want to go f2p, even if lol didn't exist. Team Fortress 2 makes them a ton of money, and dota 2 might be the only new game they'll be releasing this year. So cash shop it up. The problem I think they'll have if they don't modify things enough is that tf2 and dota 2 are wildly different games from every angle. Team Fortress 2 is very basic and easy to understand and play. Players can reach their supposed ceiling with what the game offers quickly, and all the competition has levels and stuff to grind (since just being a good game isn't nearly enough anymore). On the other hand, dota 2 is a much larger and more complex game when it comes to basics. It just takes longer to learn, so it will also take longer for people to decide whether or not they like it, which it will also take longer for them to decide whether or not they want to invest any money into it. Are they going to buy cosmetics for 1 hero out of over 100 when they've only even tried 15 of them? League of Legends gets around the entire thing by constantly releasing new champions and locking new players out of most of the roster. If they're forced to only play a few champions at a time then it feels more worthwhile to invest in a few, especially when the rotation comes around and they can't play the champion that they've started to enjoy. And if dota 2 went that way I would just stop playing.

The silver lining is that Valve has to make dota 2 really appealing and basically enjoyable for new players (hopefully) without actually changing how it plays, otherwise they don't get the potential revenue from people who stick around.

So I still feel that f2p is terrible, but I'm still hopeful. I care little for Valve, but I respect Icefrog and the rest of his team enough to give the game more chances than I normally would.

stream
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

I'm hoping it's not like LoL where you have to earn points to unlock heroes. I was ok with it in LoL, but now that I have access to anyone I want to play, I like it a whole hell of a lot better. Hopefully there's an option to just buy in at the start, or they just sell cosmetic stuff and the heroes are all available from the start.
    TheBog wrote: »
    41-11. I'm so fucking glad I had that opportunity to make a comeback, Valve. Wouldn't want that silly defeatist attitude getting in the way of our fun, now would we?

A surrender vote would be pretty damn nice, have to admit.

I care little for Valve

I'm not sure how this is possible, and now have to ask why?

steam_sig.png
    Don't really like their games, don't like steam at all.

stream
    I'm pretty sure that's because you've got a gimped computer or internet or something because I've never met anyone with half as many problems with Steam as you

you actually sorta remind me of my mother with computers

not a good sign

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I still don't want a surrender vote.
    I don't know about the allies and opponents you are playing with and against, but I'm much happier having to play out a few curbstomps as opposed to having some shitheel stop fighting and bitch at everyone who won't concede when we have a better lategame.

I only really play Valve games through once, and sometimes it is an effort, mostly good though. I really liked TF2 at the time though, mostly because it let me rocket jump around like Quake.

stimtokolos on
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular

First time I've ever heard a PA'er say they don't like Valve games.

edited March 2012

Steam issues aside, are you just not a fan of FPSs or something? Because I'm not sure how anyone could not like something like, say, Portal 1 and 2.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Page, nearly every time you post something here, I can't help but think that we're the exact opposite on this.

I have previously not cared for Dota and would not have cared about Dota 2 if it was any other developer doing it.

Gabe Newell has previously stated that the quality of the game comes before monetizing it and there is yet to be reason to think he'd lie about that.

And Dota 2 isn't their only 2012 game. They've got CSGO in beta and that's out this year.

And now I'm afraid another discussion about cosmetics will kick up and I shouldn't have posted this.

edited March 2012
    I bet GabeN just reads Page's posts about not liking valve then starts flicking different 'Fucks with your shit' switches on his account.
    If I had the money and influence to not care I would totally invest a system where bad mannered players had these (currently imaginary) switches thrown to give them technical difficulties and then when they call tech support they'd get flipped off after the tech support person went through their routine with the victim constantly yelling "I'VE DONE THAT ALREADY" and then "Oh look it works now".

stimtokolos on
    Yeah, Valve are pretty much the only developers I trust with something like Dota. I can only imagine the shitwizardry that would occur if anyone else was to get their grubby mitts on it.

DOTA 2 PUBLISHED BY EA

hilarious

edited March 2012
    My opinion about their games is largely coloured by Half-Life 1 and Counter-Strike. Half-Life's deathmatch was bland and didn't even become remotely decent till years later with competitive mods, and Counter-Strike was pretty much the worst thing I'd played back then--Rainbow Six without any of the interesting parts of realism, Quake without any of the fun unrealistic stuff. Also, Counter-Strike players were terrible people (read: obnoxious kids).

And I love fps games . . . provided they were made before the turn of the millennium. Quake 3 is still the game that I've put the most hours into in my life, more than Diablo 2 (never played mmos). I still have it installed and still play it. Even loading up a map and running around is calming for me.

I disliked steam before it was giving me trouble, and now that it isn't giving me much trouble I still don't like it. I don't like having to run my games through a middleman, and whenever an non-steam option is available I take it. But again, some of that dislike is leftovers from steam's early days. I'm primarily a pc gamer and didn't even have steam installed until dota 2.

(Forgot about the new CS. I'm actually in the Tactical Intervention beta.)

Page- on
    stream
    Page did you ever play Warsow?
    And I assume you played CPMA if you're still playing Quake 3 as opposed to Quake Live.

edited March 2012
    Yes I played Warsow. Wonderful physics but terrible weapons. But I haven't played for years and I've heard they improved the weapons some.

I also didn't like Team Fortress 2 (but I respect that it was the developer's decision to change the game and don't particularly prescribe any of it to Valve's influence), and the less said about Deathmatch Classic the better.

Page- on
    stream
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I remember liking the deathmatch in Half-Life, but it was hardly the main attraction.

I'm a little bit confused about how Lone Druid's bear works. I'll have to mess around with him a bit before trying him in a real game. I hear the bear has its own inventory.

edited March 2012
    Yes I played Warsow. Wonderful physics but terrible weapons. But I haven't played for years and I've heard they improved the weapons some.

I also didn't like Team Fortress 2 (but I respect that it was the developer's decision to change the game and don't particularly prescribe any of it to Valve's influence), and the less said about Deathmatch Classic the better.

They did sort change the weapons, but the rockets are still fucked. Too much vertical bounce and not enough horizontal when you bink someone in the feet, makes it way too easy to chain them and less fun than QW / CPMA.

stimtokolos on
    The bear is more important than the hero. It should be getting most of the items.

stream
    I still don't want a surrender vote.
    I don't know about the allies and opponents you are playing with and against, but I'm much happier having to play out a few curbstomps as opposed to having some shitheel stop fighting and bitch at everyone who won't concede when we have a better lategame.

There's nothing wrong with curbstomps. I'm not against one team totally outclassing another. They deserve that win. I'm against wasting half an hour to an hour of my life. You think this "shitheel" won't stop fighting regardless of surrender vote? In his eyes the game is over. It's a waste of time. He'll either dick around in the fountain to pose less resistance to the enemy so they can finish quicker, or better yet he'll feed them so they'll finish quicker.

I don't know. Just seems odd. Conceding is the most basic idea in any competition.

I'll turn that around on you. What if the winning team of the massacre doesn't want to finish it? They're all just farming up rapiers and getting roshan again and again. Or maybe they don't even bother attacking your nexus towers and instead try to farm kills near the fountain? Should I have to put up with this horseshit, or should I be punished for wanting to end this abortion of a game and start fresh. Total dicks can be on both sides.

edited March 2012
    My opinion about their games is largely coloured by Half-Life 1 and Counter-Strike. Half-Life's deathmatch was bland and didn't even become remotely decent till years later with competitive mods, and Counter-Strike was pretty much the worst thing I'd played back then--Rainbow Six without any of the interesting parts of realism, Quake without any of the fun unrealistic stuff. Also, Counter-Strike players were terrible people (read: obnoxious kids).

And I love fps games . . . provided they were made before the turn of the millennium. Quake 3 is still the game that I've put the most hours into in my life, more than Diablo 2 (never played mmos). I still have it installed and still play it. Even loading up a map and running around is calming for me.

I disliked steam before it was giving me trouble, and now that it isn't giving me much trouble I still don't like it. I don't like having to run my games through a middleman, and whenever an non-steam option is available I take it. But again, some of that dislike is leftovers from steam's early days. I'm primarily a pc gamer and didn't even have steam installed until dota 2.

(Forgot about the new CS. I'm actually in the Tactical Intervention beta.)

Ok, so, your opinion on valve games is colored by a) the multiplayer component of a game that came out 14 years ago whos main focus was the single player, and b) a mod Valve didnt even make?

Do you see the problem there?

Also for the record, CS:GO isn't being done by Valve. It's primarily being done by Hidden Path.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    TheBog wrote: »
    Conceding is the most basic idea in any competition.

Just to play devil's advocate here, how many major sports include a surrender rule? Combat sports, sure, but other than that?

I am strongly in favor of surrender voting in Dota2,

Considering that CS:Source is even worse than CS I have no problem thinking what I think. Especially when I only really care about the multiplayer to begin with. And it's not like Half-Life 2's deathmatch was any better (it was worse). Plus they inexplicably removed gibs, which I've always been a little bothered by.

Still, the monkey wrench in Opposing Force was wonderful.

stream
    Considering that CS:Source is even worse than CS I have no problem thinking what I think. Especially when I only really care about the multiplayer to begin with. And it's not like Half-Life 2's deathmatch was any better (it was worse). Plus they inexplicably removed gibs, which I've always been a little bothered by.

Still, the monkey wrench in Opposing Force was wonderful.

No one cares about HL (1 or 2) deathmatch because the games focus were singleplayer. It's like judging a fighting game based off its story mode.

And Opposing Force was done by Gearbox, not Valve.

steam_sig.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    CS:S is incidental valve and mp has never been relevant to half life 1 or 2

Heisenberg on
    edited March 2012
    I can only judge based on what I've played.

Simply, Valve has never made a game that I love. They've put out a few that I've enjoyed, but nothing that stands out. That's why I have no particular confidence in them as a developer. Frankly, I'd be more enthused about dota 2 if Valve had hired Icefrog out as a separate studio or were just publishing it. It's not that I hate Valve, more than I'm ambivalent toward them.

Page- on
    stream
    Man what. CS:S is great.