As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Take My [Chat] Away!

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    http://healthcare-economist.com/2008/04/18/health-care-around-the-world-norway/

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

I would say the Netherlands and Swiss have a better chance in the US. Or developing medicare for all ages which would be closer to your system.

What's medicare? Just free health care or?

Medicare is what old people get when they retire. We pay taxes while we work to fund the it and Social Security (or is Medicare just a part of SS?) and then when we retire it's our insurance.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Oh, god, comments to that

"Hey, if it was free, I'd wait 4 months for a hip replacement, too"

"but the thing is, it isn’t free, you’ll be paying for your hip replacement through your taxes. Heck, you’ll be helping to pay for someone else’s hip replacement too!"

is it wrong for me to want to make soup of the last guy's bones and use it to feed the poor

Well if it is part of your taxes he is right. He is forgetting that when he needs help the person who needed the hip replacement is paying for his medical care. Because that is how insurance works. You pay in to subsidize those using it when you are sick, and they do the same for you.

Hell that is what they do in the states, there just is a 30% cut off the top and a lot less access.

he isn't wrong but that's beside the point

ftOqU21.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

I would say the Netherlands and Swiss have a better chance in the US. Or developing medicare for all ages which would be closer to your system.

Medicare is our elderly health insurance passed in the 1960's. It was supposed to be developed for all ages later. It isn't free, you pay premiums but it is from the government, is taken in most places and has a very small over head. It is basically national health insurance but only for those 65 and older right now. But the law could easily be changed to make the required age 0.

u7stthr17eud.png

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

Medicare is our elderly health insurance passed in the 1960's. It was supposed to be developed for all ages later. It isn't free, you pay premiums but it is from the government, is taken in most places and has a very small over head. It is basically national health insurance but only for those 65 and older right now. But the law could easily be changed to make the required age 0.

and if you can't pay the premiums, what then

ftOqU21.png
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Desc you make me feel insecure about my drawings

Pish posh

Instead of worrying, just look at these pictures of Audrey Hepburn with her baby deer: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-O3JocyJair0/T0yzF1756VI/AAAAAAAAI_M/R-lYxYYAuoM/s1600/162999.jpg

Don't you feel better?

:o

I share Louis CK's opinion on deer.

No I've never seen a deer.

Wait what, never?

Never. Along with snow, oaks and other things you find in the north.

you've never seen snow?!

Chavez is hoarding it all for himself.

Mim wrote: »

Pish posh

Instead of worrying, just look at these pictures of Audrey Hepburn with her baby deer: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-O3JocyJair0/T0yzF1756VI/AAAAAAAAI_M/R-lYxYYAuoM/s1600/162999.jpg

Don't you feel better?

Wait what, never?

you've never seen snow?!

this is a travesty!

quick, find me a plane! there's still time!

ftOqU21.png
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Its taken out of everyone's paycheck automatically. That is to say, stolen olol

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

Medicare is what old people get when they retire. We pay taxes while we work to fund the it and Social Security (or is Medicare just a part of SS?) and then when we retire it's our insurance.

It is a different tax, look at your next pay slip. FICA is your social security and their will be a medicare deduction. It isn't free either, you pay premiums when you have it but it is still lower than private insurance would be and has good coverage.

Also those on disability receive medicare.

u7stthr17eud.png

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

It is subsidized. You can't be denied access to medicare at age 65.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ah, wait times. Because everybody knows it is better to not have to wait for the treatment you can't afford than to get treatment at all.

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

okay then it's pretty close to ours. Assuming there aren't any stupid maximum amounts covered.

Or - is all healthcare free on medicare?

ftOqU21.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Pish posh

Don't you feel better?

Wait what, never?

you've never seen snow?!

I hadn't until a couple years ago, it was pretty magical.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

Pish posh

Don't you feel better?

Wait what, never?

you've never seen snow?!

this is a travesty!

quick, find me a plane! there's still time!

Chávez can't be beaten. He's like the Dark Spector of presidents.

yGxvf.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They are massively expanding our largest hospital now. They're basically decking over a little crevasse that holds several railway lines and putting more buildings on top of that. Apparently there will also be like a shopping mall or something.

PSN: Honkalot

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

okay then it's pretty close to ours. Assuming there aren't any stupid maximum amounts covered.

It covers most things. Preventive, hospital, emergency and such. There is a lovely prescription drug hole which you have to pay for all your prescriptions before it goes back to covering 100%. That was thanks to Bush and the Republicans. You can buy more insurance to cover other parts. It also cover pt, hospice and homecare for certain amount of time. It is pretty damn comprehensive for medical. No dental at all though.

I mean it isn't perfect but would cover enough basic services to allow everyone to have better access than we have now.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ah, wait times. Because everybody knows it is better to not have to wait for the treatment you can't afford than to get treatment at all.

People who can afford the treatment - like me and my family - can shut up forever about waittimes.

Just pay to go somewhere there isn't a line, then.

Frankly I don't give a shit about the level of health care the rich get.

ftOqU21.png
    Are there any good articles on the various types of national healthcare systems among rich countries?

Are there any good articles on the various types of national healthcare systems among rich countries?

PBS ran a series a couple years back. Here is a quick look I posted earlier.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/globalhealth/july-dec09/insurance_1006.html

u7stthr17eud.png
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ugh, I bought 3 things off of ebay through paypal, but I forgot I had it hooked up through my secondary checking account instead of my main one so I overdrafted on each transaction, and the fees are more than I paid for the items.

:x

edit: What the hell is up with this emoticon?

mrflippy on

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

It covers most things. Preventive, hospital, emergency and such. There is a lovely prescription drug hole which you have to pay for all your prescriptions before it goes back to covering 100%. That was thanks to Bush and the Republicans. You can buy more insurance to cover other parts. It also cover pt, hospice and homecare for certain amount of time. It is pretty damn comprehensive for medical. No dental at all though.

I mean it isn't perfect but would cover enough basic services to allow everyone to have better access than we have now.

We don't really have dental either.

Not covering your prescriptions is a major tick in the minus column, though

my dad sprays like a hundred thousand crowns worth of medicine up his nose a year and pays 350$ for it

ftOqU21.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    my medicaid covers dental. got an exam, a cleaning, and four fillings for free.

Organichu on
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Ugh, I bought 3 things off of ebay through paypal, but I forgot I had it hooked up through my secondary checking account instead of my main one so I overdrafted on each transaction, and the fees are more than I paid for the items.

Among the degenerate, an x is a kiss

ftOqU21.png
    Organichu wrote: »

what's medicaid? Insurance? Government?

ftOqU21.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

People who can afford the treatment - like me and my family - can shut up forever about waittimes.

That's always been the dumbest and least accurate complaint.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

my dad sprays like a hundred thousand crowns worth of medicine up his nose a year and pays 350$ for it

The donut hole gets closed mostly by Obamacare. Damn it, I like Obamacare, he should be proud. Taking that word back or something. But it covers it for a bit, then 0 for about 2k a year then at 100%. So it does cover prescriptions just you have to cover a certain amount before it is 100% coverage.

@Couscous

Kaiser Foundation has a nice overview of a few of the high income countries.

http://www.kaiseredu.org/Issue-Modules/International-Health-Systems/Overview.aspx

u7stthr17eud.png
    mrflippy wrote: »

Among the degenerate, an x is a kiss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwznMXefjnc

That's always been the dumbest and least accurate complaint.

Waittimes or "just go pay for it somewhere else"?

ftOqU21.png

what's medicaid? Insurance? Government?

Insurance for those well below the poverty line. AKA Chu. It is funding by the federal government but administered by the states. Chu is lucky to be in one of the states with an amazing medicaid program. If he was in Alabama or Arkansas it wouldn't be nearly as good.

u7stthr17eud.png

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

The donut hole gets closed mostly by Obamacare. Damn it, I like Obamacare, he should be proud. Taking that word back or something. But it covers it for a bit, then 0 for about 2k a year then at 100%. So it does cover prescriptions just you have to cover a certain amount before it is 100% coverage.

@Couscous

http://www.kaiseredu.org/Issue-Modules/International-Health-Systems/Overview.aspx

by 100% you mean, above that amount, right

ftOqU21.png
    It pisses me off that we don't have free healthcare in a proto-communist country.

yGxvf.png

This is one way to do it

just like

nudge nudge wink wink

@Couscous

by 100% you mean, above that amount, right

You pay your donut hole, then medicare takes care of your prescription cost. So you have 500 dollars of meds a year, you are shit out of luck. Be like me and have 2.5k put into your arm every 8 weeks, then it will cover everything after you pay out of the donut hole.

This isn't 100% true, medicare has private addition plans and such which change coverage. And like I said Obamacare is changing this as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
    It pisses me off that we don't have free healthcare in a proto-communist country.

Maybe you just aren't socialist enough.

Communism 2.0: Socialist Harder

Now with free T-70's.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    man

it's a shame that we have all those shitty white supremacy militias in central PA

because our state government seems p cool, very poor-people-friendly

Organichu on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Why did berlin choose to call themselves Berlin anyway?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    last week I shared the story of how losing my insurance a couple years ago nearly killed me, and how I would gladly wait in a line

I was told that that "wasn't fair"

would anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many fucks I give

rRwz9.gif

Yeah, that's a major bit in getting to join the red club missing right there

ftOqU21.png
    Here Abdy, a nice description of the donuthole. The real numbers actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Part_D_coverage_gap

u7stthr17eud.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    man

it's a shame that we have all those shitty white supremacy militias in central PA

because our state government seems p cool, very poor-people-friendly

in retrospect I guess expanding Medicare Part P for Paranoid was a mistake

rRwz9.gif
    Honk wrote: »

Maybe you just aren't socialist enough.

For real.

Chavez, you suck as a socialist.

yGxvf.png
This discussion has been closed.