As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I know this is a few hours old, but Kotor 2 will always be awesome to me, if for no other reason, because of Kreia.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Anybody know if the Nova rank 5 recharge reduction can take you above +200%?

I'm considering a respec and I'm curious if I can start running with a heavier loadout. Most fights don't last 15 seconds anyway.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it does.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, what's this about promotion for the weekend event? I've got my Engineer team ready to go (all 4 unlocked, class sitting at Lvl 20).

newSig.jpg
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dalantia wrote: »
    Beginning to hate biotics even more - I've seen some that will go out of their way to spam Throw in my general vicinity so that I'll have to put up with screen shake while I'm lining up a shot.
    When you assholes stop sniping our perfectly lined up and timed detonation victims, we'll stop spamming the biotics.

Deal?

Seriously, if there are other targets, don't shoot the floating guy, the blue glowy guy, or the guy stuck in stasis. They're not there to give you target practice, they're there to explode and kill their friends.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah, it does.
    Cool.

Not sure what I'm going to do with that, but it's good to know.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah, it does.
    Cool.

Not sure what I'm going to do with that, but it's good to know.

what you should do with it is never stop charging

ever

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dalantia wrote: »
    Beginning to hate biotics even more - I've seen some that will go out of their way to spam Throw in my general vicinity so that I'll have to put up with screen shake while I'm lining up a shot.

You can cloak and relocate, go away and leave me to spam my biotics in peace.

Sissy infiltrators and their sissy sniper rifles. *sniff*

Come to think of it, I do throw pretty much constantly if I'm playing a sentinel and don't see a juicy target for a warp bomb. Throw throw throw throw throw throw throw. Geth? Throw. Wall? Throw. Brute? WARP THROW WARP THROW WARP THROW. Throw. Throw throw throw. Funny light in the sky? Throw. Bored? Throw. Team mate? Heavy melee.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    This sounds suspiciously like...
    Class warfare.

newSig.jpg
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    This sounds suspiciously like...
    Class warfare.

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    So burned out on this game right now. It's been so long since I've unlocked anything meaningful for multiplayer. I thought I would love the pack method of unlocks but I can't stand it now. I have triple the N7 rank than some of these players and they have a Widow III or a Black Widow. I just want a heavy sniper rifle. Please stop giving me SMG upgrades. Every spectre pack is a kick to the gonads.

I'm just not having fun anymore. I need to take a break. I'd play single player, but I lost my saves from the last two games when my hard drive died (xbox). I played ME1 for an hour before I gave up, it's too much game and its not that fun anymore.

• milathmilath Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

This is some funny shit. Javik rules!

steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• DarisDaris Registered User regular
    I wish infiltrators could just take a hint. Adepts are more than capable of head-shotting stasis targets without help. That, or blowing them up. Not that it's bad if an infiltrator is just casually following an Adept around issuing instant death to all stasis targets, but they're not diligent enough to actually do that... so frag off cloaky mcgee.

Although it is amusing to think of an Adept going around freezing targets for a sniper. Headsploading all day.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    It's a shame that Javik is DLC. I really feel like he should have been part of the main game.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Daris wrote: »
    I wish infiltrators could just take a hint. Adepts are more than capable of head-shotting stasis targets without help. That, or blowing them up. Not that it's bad if an infiltrator is just casually following an Adept around issuing instant death to all stasis targets, but they're not diligent enough to actually do that... so frag off cloaky mcgee.

Although it is amusing to think of an Adept going around freezing targets for a sniper. Headsploading all day.

I've seen an Asari with a Widow.

You go girl.

So burned out on this game right now. It's been so long since I've unlocked anything meaningful for multiplayer. I thought I would love the pack method of unlocks but I can't stand it now. I have triple the N7 rank than some of these players and they have a Widow III or a Black Widow. I just want a heavy sniper rifle. Please stop giving me SMG upgrades. Every spectre pack is a kick to the gonads.

I'm just not having fun anymore. I need to take a break. I'd play single player, but I lost my saves from the last two games when my hard drive died (xbox). I played ME1 for an hour before I gave up, it's too much game and its not that fun anymore.

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/ They also have ME1 saves and have pretty much every configuration you can think of if you want to continue your lost save. Assuming you remember your choices of course. Well worth it if the first game doesn't appeal to you I think.

steam_sig.png

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I'm not complaining about hitting the enemy. I try to avoid targets that look like explosion bait, unless it looks like I can hit multiples with one shot. (I tend to use penetration weapons.)

I'm complaining about intentionally missing throw so it impacts right next to the sniper in question, and doing it over and over and over and over, while there are bad guys around that SOMEONE COULD BE KILLING.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
    Beltaine wrote: »
    It's a shame that Javik is DLC. I really feel like he should have been part of the main game.
    It looks like he adds a decent amount to Thessia.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sometimes I wonder if my Chain Overloads annoy snipers by making enemies convulse constantly.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".

Yeah, I was gonna say, he seems pretty well integrated into the main game. Not like Kasumi or Zaeed in ME2. He has lots of stuff to say for the main missions, especially Thessia. And of course there's several convos in his quarters you can have. I think they did a pretty good job w/ him. So good I wish there was more.

steam_sig.png

Javik helps reinforce some of the themes as well.

The idea of cyclical development and cyclical problems in particular.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So I have some things to say. It's probably going to be a long post and it is kinda meta so I'll just go ahead and spoiler the whole thing and you can ignore it if you want. A lot of it results from seeing a lot of discussion today (and in the past) about the idea of the ending of the game retroactively damaging the whole series (for some people).

It is moderately in line with a post I made a few weeks ago right after beating the game toward people who kept claiming "nothing you did mattered" which you can read here if you're interested

Probably since then I went a bit overboard in my dislike of the ending, but thinking about it a lot more today and yesterday I think I've finally just narrowed down what I don't like to the final part of the ending, and less because of what actually happened, and more because of how poorly it was setup and how it was so badly executed. It could have been a perfectly valid ending, it just needed expanded upon considerably and I hope that happens with whatever they announce next month.

Anyway, moving back to the actual topic of this post:
    So. I've seen the way the ending makes people feel about the whole series compared to love for their mothers, ex girlfriends/boyfriends, movies, books, virtually everything. The core of the idea seems to be that it is valid that the ending of something can retroactively color your view on the history of said thing.

Now, off the bat, I want to make it clear that it is true. Simply put, a bad final experience of virtually anything can color the build up. I've seen people link videos of the scene in A Christmas Story where the kid is crushed to find out his secret code breaker is just a tool to advertise meaningless crap. I'm sure, if that were real, it'd have seriously colored the kids view on all the work he did in order to reach that point only to be so profoundly disappointed.

Therefore the notion that an ending can color the journey is perfectly valid. This isn't really something I feel like is worth the dispute.

However, notice I keep using the word color instead of ruin or destroy or damage, or some other hyperbolic word to communicate the failure of something to continue mattering to you.

I do that because there's a choice you make here, in determining how it will color your views, in what the journey actually meant to you. I just finished reading an article on important Sci-fi stories of the last century, and in perusing that list, I've read several of the books/stories listed there but others I hadn't. I was taken back a bit by the fact I've never read the Foundation series by Asimov and upon reading a synopsis of the whole series was struck with some thoughts about Mass Effect.

You see, as far as I'm concerned the universe created in Mass Effect is just as expansive, profound, fleshed out, imaginative and enduring as anything written by Herbert, Anthony, Asimov, Card, or you name it. Obviously it is presented in a way that is drastically different than any major sci-fi of the past by the nature of it being an interactive medium and not print or film. For me, however, that makes it actually have potentially more of an impact than these others universes authors have created.

I say that because you take part in the story. This is where it gets meta and some people might roll their eyes and move on, but whatever; don't care. You take part in the story just like you take part in your life. And similar to real life you can do only so many things to influence the "world" around you, those you interact with, and the course of your, and others, life. Even the fact that in Mass Effect we're provided only certain options for actions and dialogue, this actually isn't fundamentally different than the actual lives we lead. What we can say or do is often restricted to a narrow set of options based on the situation, those involved, our personality, social mores, personal moral history, and other factors. While we actually have the freedom to do and say as we please, the reality of life is that we don't actually do so and we still fall into moderately scripted events throughout our life. Due to this it is more obvious why we get so attached to our Shepard. How we play Shepard is an extension of who we are and how attached we get to the character over the course of the games shows how much it matters. Real life is full of consequences to actions that we have to deal with whether we like it or not. The same is true in Mass Effect, but just stop for a second and think about the fact that none of itactually matters, in regards to decisions made in Mass Effect, yet when presented with the choice of killing Mordin or allowing him to cure the Genophage, it triggers the same emotional response as if you were in a situation with a friend who was going to try to drive home drunk (going on some personal experience here). You know if you let them do it, they may be fine, and you'll continue to be friends and life will carry on. On the other hand, maybe it won't go so well, and they'll get into a car accident and get killed, or kill someone else and lives will profoundly change. However, you have another choice. Take away the keys. Knowing the personalty of the person, doing so will probably ultimately ruin the friendship (i.e. killing Mordin), but you know that in the long run it is an all around safer decision, but you have to make a sacrifice in order to do the "right" thing. Now, obviously the two situations don't equate. You should never allow a friend to drive drunk, no matter what; but my point isn't the morals of the situation but the emotions and decisions based on consequences it invokes. You feel the choice. I personally could never let Mordin die. In fact simply watching a youtube video of the scene where someone did actually emotionally hurt. Same with Legion or Wrex, or pick your character that you really loved.

You feel it because a universe has been created that you can believe in. Characters that you can see as being real, in situations that could happen, in a galaxy that has possibilities that we haven't even begun to discover in reality. This is the mark of a remarkably well formed universe that, while rarely seen, endures like no other when it does. You can see this in, well...shit, pick your sci-fi epic that you love or that you know others love. My personal favorite is Dune; so I'm no stranger to poor endings and later revisions that can dick with the basic premise.

Going back meta, those created universes are just like the lives we live. My brothers wife died of cancer a couple months ago. If you want to talk about shitty endings, I was there when she passed away and, I've got a few things I can say on that. She only found out she had cancer last summer and it progressed so quickly that she was gone in 5 months; from being completely (in appearance anyway) healthy to gone from this world. Now, I'm going to avoid religious aspects of this and stick to more "earthly" aspects, as I don't think that's really appropriate here. Contrasting, her death wasn't setup. There was no lead-in, there was only a minor bit of foreshadowing that could have been missed entirely (and was), and when she passed away there was no satisfaction. There were only the lingering feelings, thoughts, questions, anger, sadness and countless other emotions. Questions weren't answered, there was nothing profound about it, in the passing of time in the whole universe, her death would have appeared as effectively meaningless. But it wasn't. She had a whole life she lived, as short as it was, where she was influenced and she influenced others. She has a marriage to my brother that will have existed regardless of what happened to her ultimately, and that didn't die when she did. There is probably no more of a sour, bitter, and unfulfilling ending to anything than someone passing like this. But the universe around her carried on, but changed due to her existence in it. Tying it back to my previous post, what she did mattered. It all mattered. She's gone but she's not, and because she was, she never will be gone. Not totally.

But my brother had (and still has I suppose) a choice here. Does he let what happened retroactively adversely color his relationship? The years of his life he spent with her? He could, and certainly when terrible things like this happen, some people do. And maybe you thought I was going to force some morals upon you here and say how he should have taken it and how you should take the ending of ME3.

I'm not. It's your choice and it's valid. But before you make that choice, I'd only ask that you question yourself as to what Mass Effect means to you. Was it just a story, with an unsatisfying ending? Something you consumed and will move on? Hey, that's your prerogative, if so. I would argue that even if you think that's the case, it's probably not as much as you'd like to think, however that's not really my point. Some people quit a job and never think about it again. Never think about the work they did, the people they met, things that happened and so on; and just carry on with their lives. Time spent, events that occur, people you meet; to some events in life are a series of consumable events that happen then they're gone, you move on. That is a perfectly valid stance on life and how some people live.

Or, however, was Mass Effect something more? Was it a universe that existed for you? Was it something that you were emotionally invested in and will keep with you as you go through life? My brother decided to make the most of his wife passing and do the things that he's always wanted to do, and things that she wanted him to do. She never wanted him to mope around and stop living because she was gone. She knew life still continued and didn't want his to stop even though hers did. Even if Shepard is gone, do you still want to believe Wrex is out there making babies and kicking ass? Wonder about how a relationship between Garrus and Tali would work? Do you ponder the things after the "story" ends and wonder what will happen next, making up your own stories, people, ideas and such?

It might seem trite to someone that I'm using my sister in laws death in a comparison to how a video game effects people. But I don't. Someone might be inclined to say "god, it's just a fucking video game, get the fuck over it"; but there's no such thing as "just" in regards to things in life that we're emotionally and personally invested in. Anything that influences us, influences who we are, how we think and how we act, those things matter, whether they're people or a really well written story. Fiction can alter people, like it or not. I mean, there's pretty much no disputing that fact. It might be because of how the fiction touches reality that makes the changes, but it is the fiction that can be a foundation for change.

Something that might, on the surface, appear as as silly as a video game, does effect us, and thus why there are substantially varying views on the games, and now that they are "done", how that makes you view them in retrospect. The end of any journey prompts reflection; but before you let the end color your view on the journey, just stop and think about which mattered more, the journey or the destination. Mass Effect is over, in the literal sense, but do you still think about the universe that it created? Does one "death" ruin the rest of life? Shepard may be gone, regardless of what happens down the road with the game, but the whole universe that was created to tell that story still exists, if you want it to. Whether or not you let the ending color your view of the series retroactively, you have to admit that you have been effected by the universe the games inhabit enough to let yourself care, to be effected that much. People that weren't so effected have moved on.

I suppose the question I'd posit then: If the ending adversely effected your view of the series, as it because the ending was bad, or because the ending was an ending? I don't mean that trivially. The universe that was created still exists. You can still go back and play the prior games and see all those things that you loved and see a fleshed out and inhabited universe. Does the "end" of one plot invalidate everything that lead up to it, make it so this universe you were invested in "ended" too? It's a simple question, and though I'm obviously biased here, there's no wrong answer. It's just that knowing better "why", either way, will help you decide where to go next.

I'll tell you this. For me, it all still exists. And I still love it. I've been hard pressed to start a new playthrough of the game and series, but when I think about it, it's not really because the series has been "damaged', but more like, I've already lived that part of my life. I loved high school way back when (94-98) but I wouldn't go back and live it again. I've done it. I made good decisions and bad decisions, but ultimately it factored into who I am and nothing could make me change it. After I beat ME3 my wife noticed I was acting bummed out (though she didn't really know why). I told her that I had beat the game and was sad the whole thing was over. She said "Is it like firefly where you feel like you won't see good friends again?", and thinking about it, no, it's different. Mass Effect for me was more profound than firefly. It's not that I won't see old friends again, it's that there's a whole universe that exists, now, without me, that I can't really go back to and see it go forward. I can always go back and play the ME games but that's more akin to reliving old memories and less exploring a possible universe.

That, to me, is how the ending colored the rest of the series. But the fact of the matter is, even if had been the best, most meaningful ending in the history of storytelling, that same sense of loss would have still been there. And I think that many people are mixing up that sadness with their disappointment with an unsatisfying conclusion to something we're emotionally invested in.

So yeah...that was super long. And quite a bit overblown on my part but hey, whatever. :P

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    On bronze there's a good chance that every shot that Infiltrator tried to take was messed up by 2 vanguards smacking everything around. I know there helpful but sometimes it really gets annoying.

yea... that probably wouldn't have played out like that on silver or better, especially given the levels of everybody.

I got a Black Widow and a Salarian Infiltrator yesterday. The RNG really wants me to become a sniper. :|

Hah, it's the opposite of me--three Salarian Infiltrators, no goddamn sniper rifles. Ever. The RNG wants me to suffer.

I cant get an infiltrator card (all other classes fully unlocked) for my life after a mp data wipe.

Which is still happening to people even though bioware says it is not. They are lying.

They don't like us. And we were quiet about the ending!

I got a Discipline Asari shotgun out of the Spectre pack I bought...I think I got screwed. I think. Time to buy a few more and get even worse shit, like four more Salarian infiltrators and a N7 vacuum with attachments.

Synthesis on

And for what they said about being mostly focused on Reapers, Protheans play a large part in this game if only because they were the last cycle.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Javelin Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [795.0-993.7] to [1030.5-1288.1]
    - Encumbrance increased from [2.5-2.0] to [3.0-2.4]
    - Max spare ammo decreased from [9-19] to [5-15]

That is a big-ass damage increase.

dN0T6ur.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    milath wrote: »

Yeah, I was gonna say, he seems pretty well integrated into the main game. Not like Kasumi or Zaeed in ME2. He has lots of stuff to say for the main missions, especially Thessia. And of course there's several convos in his quarters you can have. I think they did a pretty good job w/ him. So good I wish there was more.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Kasumi and Zaeed said just as much during missions as everyone else did.

Heck, even on the ship they probably had more stuff to say than a non-romanced Thane or Garrus. You just didn't get a conversation wheel with them when they were talking.

• VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular

That and he's written to be the ULTRA non-synthetic. To contrast with the Reapers.
    His entire race and their technology were based upon biology/organic based magic instead of computer/machine based magic. Which possibly explains why they were probably unsuitable to be made into reapers.

Despite sounding like a imperialistic self-centered race, the Protheans managed to break the cycle by using the power of love their super effective genetic/biological based memory to leave behind tips for the 'young races'. Also they were able to mess with the keepers - another biological based chink in the Reaper armor. But ultimately their single mindedness was their downfall, once the Reapers figured them out, they were screwed.

Which is probably why they were the ones to break the cycle. Well... break this cycle. Basically, we'd all be Reaper food without the Protheans.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I weep every time I see a Vanguard with a Sniper Rifle.

It's just..."Why?"

One of them had the Widow at that.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If my situation was reversed--namely, my inventory was total shit except for my sniper rifles--I wouldn't play vanguards. But if I insisted...

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Javelin Sniper Rifle

And now heavier than the Claymore with less ammo.

s7Imn5J.png
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular

That's what I mean. His character provides a lot of information that is so central to the entire story that it makes no sense for him to be optional.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Just wanted to pop in and say this:

Orca, thank you for compiling all those wonderful videos, comics, and freaky/gorgeous art. It's been a goldmine of laughs and awe. Keep up the good work. I feel sorry that you have to look through some of the creepier *cough*talimancer*cough* stuff.

• Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Javelin Sniper Rifle

And does more damage then the Widow X, at rank 1.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Javelin Sniper Rifle

Oh, I know. It's just nice, is all. Put AP ammo or Warp Ammo on that bad boy and It'd be hilarious how fast it could kill Brutes or de-shielded Atlases/Banshees

dN0T6ur.png
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    milath wrote: »

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/ They also have ME1 saves and have pretty much every configuration you can think of if you want to continue your lost save. Assuming you remember your choices of course. Well worth it if the first game doesn't appeal to you I think.

Thank you. Im aware of them but I'm on xbox. Im feeling better now. I just had an amazing silver match where I was a Krogan and meleeing everything. I was happy my latency was good too, so every melee connected, aside from times melee was being regular old terrible melee.

The Mattock X is really good. Its DPS seems to outstrip every other weapon I've tried (other than Infiltrator Snipers).

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Best Javik Comic (Includes actual ME3 Romance Spoiler):
    tumblr_m1gc0t8nUT1r436hfo2_500.jpg

edited March 2012
    Rocket Drone is hilarious good ever since they buffed its damage/radius.

Dragkonias on
    Its too bad Quarian Engineer doesn't get Sabotage instead of Cyro Blast.

}