As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Just wanted to pop in and say this:

Orca, thank you for compiling all those wonderful videos, comics, and freaky/gorgeous art. It's been a goldmine of laughs and awe. Keep up the good work. I feel sorry that you have to look through some of the creepier *cough*talimancer*cough* stuff.

Honestly, I just collect it from here.

It's the other forum-goers who brave the depths of depravity to find it in the first place. All thanks to them!

• VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lars wrote: »
    milath wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    It's a shame that Javik is DLC. I really feel like he should have been part of the main game.
    It looks like he adds a decent amount to Thessia.

Yeah, I was gonna say, he seems pretty well integrated into the main game. Not like Kasumi or Zaeed in ME2. He has lots of stuff to say for the main missions, especially Thessia. And of course there's several convos in his quarters you can have. I think they did a pretty good job w/ him. So good I wish there was more.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Kasumi and Zaeed said just as much during missions as everyone else did.

Heck, even on the ship they probably had more stuff to say than a non-romanced Thane or Garrus. You just didn't get a conversation wheel with them when they were talking.

Yeah, when you first recruit Javik, he has some dialog wheel stuff so he can provide exposition (and again at his second 'loyalty' conversation like the other characters), but so far since then he's been *just* like Zaeed and Katsumi in that you walk in and he talks at you with no real interaction. Also, he's just like them on missions providing unique dialog. He has changed location once so far for me in the ship, which was more than the DLC ME2 characters did, but not in a way that involves him interacting with other characters like the core squadmates do. Which is because he's a DLC character and can't really interact directly with other characters on the ship (except over the intercom) because he wasn't written in as part of the core game.

That's why these comics about him are so funny, they're taking the perspective that he does interact with the rest of the crew like the other characters do with each other. I still haven't gotten to the ending yet, so maybe he does more. But so far he's functionally implemented like the ME2 DLC characters.

And character-wise he's not terribly original (aside for his race and associated racism). He's like a more pissed off and self-centered, slightly less badass Zaeed. The best argument for him being a core character and not DLC is that there aren't enough biotics in your crew (and missed potential for hilarity that the comics show). In ME2, you had Thane, Samara/Morinth, Miranda, and Jack for potential biotic fun time. In ME3 the pickings are a *little* thin in that department. Especially if Kaiden's body is uniformly distributed across the surface of Virmire in your game.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Just wanted to pop in and say this:

Orca, thank you for compiling all those wonderful videos, comics, and freaky/gorgeous art. It's been a goldmine of laughs and awe. Keep up the good work. I feel sorry that you have to look through some of the creepier *cough*talimancer*cough* stuff.

To be honest, as one of the people braving the deeps to bring some of that stuff back and post it here, I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) to find that ME fans aren't nearly as depraved and out there as I was expecting them to be. Maybe this is because I rarely venture to BSN, though. But I have yet to find something that tops the "Tali's sweat" post, and that was just (insane) text. The weirdest thing I've seen so far (which I haven't shared for obvious reasons) was someone's fan art idea of what a Drell dick might look like.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Taky is going to be at the PAX panel

even though he ragged on the ending he doesn't deserve this punishment

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm actually glad he's going.

From what I saw on the charity stream he's very well-spoken.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    My plan for the Mass Effect panel at PAX:

tCp90.gif

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Wow, thanks Spectre pack. A geth pulse rifle.

Don't know how much more I can take.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Vicktor wrote: »
    It's a shame that Javik is DLC. I really feel like he should have been part of the main game.

Yeah, I was gonna say, he seems pretty well integrated into the main game. Not like Kasumi or Zaeed in ME2. He has lots of stuff to say for the main missions, especially Thessia. And of course there's several convos in his quarters you can have. I think they did a pretty good job w/ him. So good I wish there was more.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Kasumi and Zaeed said just as much during missions as everyone else did.

Heck, even on the ship they probably had more stuff to say than a non-romanced Thane or Garrus. You just didn't get a conversation wheel with them when they were talking.

Yeah, when you first recruit Javik, he has some dialog wheel stuff so he can provide exposition (and again at his second 'loyalty' conversation like the other characters), but so far since then he's been *just* like Zaeed and Katsumi in that you walk in and he talks at you with no real interaction. Also, he's just like them on missions providing unique dialog. He has changed location once so far for me in the ship, which was more than the DLC ME2 characters did, but not in a way that involves him interacting with other characters like the core squadmates do. Which is because he's a DLC character and can't really interact directly with other characters on the ship (except over the intercom) because he wasn't written in as part of the core game.
    In my playthroughs, Javik has had roughly the same type and quantity of interaction/dialogue as the other characters. Did you not come across him talking to Vega in the mess hall?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Patrick Weekes will be at the Bioware shindig at PAX. 8-> Damn not being able to go there.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dox the PI wrote: »

"of course I would have to do it....

....someone might have gotten it wrong..."

/manly tears :(

Thegreatcow on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Agreed, to me, if the info in Final Hours is legit, then the only people the crowd at PAX should rail on are Walters and Hudson.

The rest of the writing staff were hitting home runs w/ the ambient dialog and the squad dialog in places like Tuchanka and Rannoch. Some of the later portions (i.e. Sanctuary and the end-run) and the intro weren't as tight, but were still laudable and/or engaging.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

He is. And he has a lot of fan goodwill, too. The problem is that there are surely going to be loudmouth jackoffs there who will treat him like shit just for the fact that he represents Bioware.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I will cry manly tears as he walks into that raging inferno to do what must be done, never to emerge.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

In my playthroughs, Javik has had roughly the same type and quantity of interaction/dialogue as the other characters. Did you not come across him talking to Vega in the mess hall?

I've had him talking to Garrus and another marine in the lounge discussing Reaper tactics (really it was Javik - Garrus and Garrus - marine but it was still cool for all 3 of them together), Javik telling his jokes to Vega in the mess hall and discussing evolution with EDI in the core.

He's moved around more then Ash (right chair in Observation, floor of Observation).

newSig.jpg
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Are the on-Normandy squad interactions over the course of the game slightly randomized? I haven't seen some of the stuff people are referring to here, and some characters not included in some scenes

dN0T6ur.png
    Ugly Shepards

The FemShep at the bottom just kills me.

Also, another one for @Orca:
    tumblr_m19pc1UZTA1rrkvreo1_500.jpg

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    That bottom left in the 4-square reminds me of a surly Conrad Verner.

newSig.jpg
    Screen%20Shot%202012-03-27%20at%208.20.19%20PM.png

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

He is. And he has a lot of fan goodwill, too. The problem is that there are surely going to be loudmouth jackoffs there who will treat him like shit just for the fact that he represents Bioware.

Meh, angry fanboys can be dismissed as angry fanboys. You only have to give attention to people with something intelligent to say.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

"of course I would have to do it....

....someone might have gotten it wrong..."

/manly tears :(

We need to get him a flak jacket, asap.

Not that he deserves to draw anything but love and praise for his writing, but I figure that depending where he ends up sitting, he might end up close enough for stray rounds to be a threat.
    Screen%20Shot%202012-03-27%20at%208.20.19%20PM.png

If true and they had the cinematics/work on hand that couldn't have been possible to wrap up in only a month or two, this would become incredible.

That said, keeping it quiet this long would be a hell of a feat (and require shockingly draconian NDAs, I imagine), quad(lol)ruply so in the face of the fanbase's reaction.

It'd take planet sized balls to know that you could quell the backlash with a single tweet but holding back for whatever reason (it's not actually finished yet, still in flux, waiting for some fan feedback before giving out the remainder, etc).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Javik has a decent conversation with Liara.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I've been relying heavily on the Raptor ever since I unlocked it, both in SP and MP. Good rate of fire, vast ammo capacity, built-in optics so I'm not wasting a slot like on the ARs. I'm running it with a light SMG backup online, with a Carnifex as well in SP.
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Javik helps reinforce some of the themes as well.

The idea of cyclical development and cyclical problems in particular.

I liked the idea of the Protheans basically being Imperial Romans. As in, fascist douchebags who nevertheless at least left some inspiring ruins behind and ensured that some fairly major cultural innovations were spread far and wide so they could endure the fall of a civilization or two. Still, he nearly talked his way out an airlock on a few occasions.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    hahah oh god, those Ugly Shepards

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Javik has a decent conversation with Liara.

I totally missed Javik talking to Vega, which sucks because it is the best thing.

electricitylikesme on
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular

No! At least. Not yet.

I'll keep an eye out for it!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm skeptical of A) how many jackasses will be at PAX and B) how many of them will have the temerity to break decorum.

Obviously ending talk is going to be A Big Deal, but I doubt it'll be much less than polite. Certainly not like the time Uwe Boll showed up as a panel's surprise guest and everyone walked out and the few that remained sassed him.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Javik pretty well integrated with the crew. I was actually really surprised when I found him in the lounge talking to kaiden and that other guy

I felt like he and garrus should've bonded more, but oh well

ed: vega/liara remain my favorite in-mission pair, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    I'm skeptical of A) how many jackasses will be at PAX and B) how many of them will have the temerity to break decorum.

Obviously ending talk is going to be A Big Deal, but I doubt it'll be much less than polite. Certainly not like the time Uwe Boll showed up as a panel's surprise guest and everyone walked out and the few that remained sassed him.

That's how I feel. No doubt there will be some jackasses but I think it will be orderly for the most part.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Bioware have created many good things, and only had some missteps.

Uwe Boll takes all the good things and ruins them.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Certainly not like the time Uwe Boll showed up as a panel's surprise guest and everyone walked out and the few that remained sassed him.

I was there, I was one of the few that stayed for the duration of his stage-time.

I didn't sass him though, I thoughtfully asked him what sort of dirt he had on Sir Ben Kingsley that he was able to get him for Bloodrayne.

And the extended trailer he showed for Postal was actually pretty funny. Contained pretty much everything in the final film worth watching, but a well done trailer nonetheless.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I've been relying heavily on the Raptor ever since I unlocked it, both in SP and MP. Good rate of fire, vast ammo capacity, built-in optics so I'm not wasting a slot like on the ARs. I'm running it with a light SMG backup online, with a Carnifex as well in SP.
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Javik helps reinforce some of the themes as well.

The idea of cyclical development and cyclical problems in particular.

I liked the idea of the Protheans basically being Imperial Romans. As in, fascist douchebags who nevertheless at least left some inspiring ruins behind and ensured that some fairly major cultural innovations were spread far and wide so they could endure the fall of a civilization or two. Still, he nearly talked his way out an airlock on a few occasions.

my problem with the semi-automatic ARs is that I always feel like I'd rather just be using the mattock. Well, except for the valiant, it can stay

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget

Bioware have created many good things, and only had some missteps.

Uwe Boll takes all the good things and ruins them.

The ending ruined peoples lives here.

This will end in blood, I know it.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Certainly not like the time Uwe Boll showed up as a panel's surprise guest and everyone walked out and the few that remained sassed him.

I was there, I was one of the few that stayed for the duration of his stage-time.

I didn't sass him though, I thoughtfully asked him what sort of dirt he had on Sir Ben Kingsley that he was able to get him for Bloodrayne.

And the extended trailer he showed for Postal was actually pretty funny. Contained pretty much everything in the final film worth watching, but a well done trailer nonetheless.

I was there as well, but I didn't stick around for the trailer. :o Even that was basically just everyone evacuating or being sarcastic, and that's Uwe Fucking Boll. So I don't think Taky has anything to worry about.

s7Imn5J.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular

Uwe Boll wasn't sent out as punishment. This is punishment.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    So with Arrival, it serves as bait - in order to stop the Reapers, you need the information, but you can only obtain it by allowing yourself to be indoctrinated, at which point you won't want to use it anymore. Kenson tells you because she's not completely gone (contrast the prisoners on Virmire) but the artifact has managed to seed enough doubts in her mind to stop her from finishing the job (teach the controversy!)

Except there's a million other things that the Reapers could use as bait, like scientific and technical knowledge. Heck, why not just make some stuff up? Why give important information about their secret plan to invade the galaxy? Not to mention how it's completely inconsistent with Reaper actions in the past where they've always tried to hide their existence from the rest of the galaxy. Without the Prothean artifacts, no one would know about the Reapers. Why would the Reapers leave this artifact revealing their own existence after trying so hard to cover it up all this time?
    Also, overload > power down because once the asteroid starts moving, powering down will leave it on a collision course for the relay, it'll just take a smidge longer to get there.

Except the asteroid wasn't actually on a collision course until Shepard activated the rockets and even if it was, overload would make no difference since the asteroid was already moving. If Kenson had just shut the power down, the doors would be locked, nothing would be function, and it would take Shepard much longer to get to the power reactor to turn it back on and then to the control room to turn on the rockets.
    And OK, the Collector motivations are a bit unclear. Oh well. Maybe it would have been able to take over the Citadel à la Sovereign.

Which wouldn't have matter anyway since The Arrival revealed that the Reapers were already on the move.
    Cerberus:
    I don't think the Crucible was really supposed to be part of their plan. They just wanted to figure out a way to control the Reapers via some method. Who knows what. Worked on Shepard. If you can get one of them, the others get a lot easier.
    And how did sabotaging the other races help that effort? They clearly weren't anywhere close to completing their project so how does sabotaging the other races, which would allow the Reapers to achieve a quicker victory and reduce the amount of time they have, help them?
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Except I never said that I didn't like anything about the game or series. I was simply pointing out the fact that the series has a lot of flaws that people tend to overlook. If you don't think those flaws exist or that people overlook them, you can try to refute that. I was speculating on why people overlooked those flaws and how the ending brings all that up to the surface.

It's kind of like having a meal at a restaurant. The meal may not be perfect, the restaurant might not have the specific drink you wanted, the appetizer might have been a little salty, the service might have been a little slow, etc. But you're willing to overlook those problems if the meal itself is generally good. However, if something really bad happens at the end of the meal like if you find a cockroach in your desert, you'll be reminded much more of all those problems that you were willing to ignore before. When you look back at it, you're probably not going to think, "the meal was good except for that roach in the dessert," you're going to think of all the things that went wrong.

I guess my issue is that reading your first post, you listed basically everything about Mass Effect. You didn't like Cerberus, you didn't like the Reapers, you thought ME2 was pointless and could have been skipped...I mean...what DID you like about Mass Effect?

Perhaps all those flaws get magnified for you because you see them, while others don't. I liked Cerberus, I thought ME2 was a great bridge (I mean, really, did we NEED Empire Strikes Back? Not really, it could have been skipped), and I find the Reapers to be a pretty interesting villain. Perhaps that's the crux of the issue, that it's easier for me to overlook the finish, because to me, the rest of it was five star great. In your analogy, I had a great dinner, with excellent service, an incredibly attentive wait staff, great drinks, the steak was fucking amazing...but woops, there is a pube in my ice cream. Well, that's not good, and I might want my desert money back...but damn if that steak wasn't awesome.

At any rate, different opinions are good. I actually find it interesting that you find plot holes or flaws where I see interesting things.

I don't have a problem with the Reapers in ME1 and 2. I have a problem with ME3 dumbing the Reapers down.

Same thing with Cerberus, ME2 gave them some depth but ME3 erased all that progress and turned them back into generic villains.

There were a lot of things in ME2 that were great, I'm not denying that. My problem is with how they made the main story, the suicide mission against the Collectors, essentially pointless. With the Empire Strikes Back, the story of Luke training to be a Jedi under Yoda and his battle with Vader are very important to the overall story of the series. Without that, there can be no Return of the Jedi.

Why do you find the plot holes and flaws I pointed out interesting? Why is it interesting that the Reaper artifact in The Arrival was stupid, made no sense, and went against established lore?
    Why is it interesting how the ability to shut down all the Relays from the Citadel was a big plot point in ME1 but was just ignored in ME3? Remember, after Sovereign and its Geth slaves launched their attack on the Citadel, Saren shut down all the Mass Relays to prevent reinforcements from coming to help, and Shepard had to turn the Relays back on so Alliance forces can come through. That was a part of the climax of the first game and it was just forgotten in ME3.

edited March 2012
    I don't have a problem with the Reapers in ME1 and 2. I have a problem with ME3 dumbing the Reapers down.

Same thing with Cerberus, ME2 gave them some depth but ME3 erased all that progress and turned them back into generic villains.

There were a lot of things in ME2 that were great, I'm not denying that. My problem is with how they made the main story, the suicide mission against the Collectors, essentially pointless. With the Empire Strikes Back, the story of Luke training to be a Jedi under Yoda and his battle with Vader are very important to the overall story of the series. Without that, there can be no Return of the Jedi.

I largely agree with you re: ME2, so let's just get that out of the way.

That said, ME2 sent Shepard from Badass Protagonist to unstoppable juggernaut of destruction Protagonist. It also put Tali in a position to lead the fleet (or not), made Garrus a badass in his own right, turned Liara into the Shadowbroker, showed Miranda separating from Cerberus, introduced a shitload of backstory for a shitload of characters (all of whom play their own parts in ME3, most small, granted), introduced The Illusive Man as a character and Cerberus as more than just a rogue Alliance operation that's meaningless, showed the Council was largely just twiddling their thumbs despite Sovereign's assault on the Citadel, and left Shepard with a ship and a large, competent crew that was willing to storm the gates of hell at her side

So...when I stop to think about it, there actually was quite a bit going on. It just didn't feel like much because the overall plot arc wasn't as directed as in ME1, and it was all in the process of gathering the team.

edit: take out ME2 and the squadmate landscape changes considerably, as does the strength of Shepard's competence field.

Orca on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    This is sort of an ambitious project, but can we get a list in the OP for people to take on particular missions for fun dialog? E.g., LI to the Cerberus base, Ashley to Eden Prime, Garrus and Liara to Sur'Kesh, etc.

• Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Javik is good on the Rachnii mission

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    This is sort of an ambitious project, but can we get a list in the OP for people to take on particular missions for fun dialog? E.g., LI to the Cerberus base, Ashley to Eden Prime, Garrus and Liara to Sur'Kesh, etc.

If someone compiles a list I'd be happy to put it in the OP.

I don't have time to do so myself, however. Also, if it was hosted elsewhere that'd actually probably be better because the OP that has been passed down is probably fairly close to the limit on post size.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand