As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That would be hard because everyone says different things at most of those same points. Like, Javik can be funny on Sur'kesh, too.
    Orca wrote: »
    That said, ME2 sent Shepard from Badass Protagonist to unstoppable juggernaut of destruction Protagonist.

I think they overplayed this a bit. ME3 does a much better job showing Shepard as human, with loads of doubt or private concern moments, and the option to have Shepard talk about retiring after this. Contrast that with ME2, where the krogan shaman appreciatively notes that Shepard loves battle while the camera zooms in on Shepard's smirk. While they work as separate games, the arc becomes confused.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Taky is going to be at the PAX panel

even though he ragged on the ending he doesn't deserve this punishment

"of course I would have to do it....

....someone might have gotten it wrong..."

/manly tears :(

We need to get him a flak jacket, asap.

Not that he deserves to draw anything but love and praise for his writing, but I figure that depending where he ends up sitting, he might end up close enough for stray rounds to be a threat.
    Couscous wrote: »
    Screen%20Shot%202012-03-27%20at%208.20.19%20PM.png

If true and they had the cinematics/work on hand that couldn't have been possible to wrap up in only a month or two, this would become incredible.

That said, keeping it quiet this long would be a hell of a feat (and require shockingly draconian NDAs, I imagine), quad(lol)ruply so in the face of the fanbase's reaction.

It'd take planet sized balls to know that you could quell the backlash with a single tweet but holding back for whatever reason (it's not actually finished yet, still in flux, waiting for some fan feedback before giving out the remainder, etc).

WHich is the worst case, right?

Means they either didnt finish it in time even with a delay (it being the ending of a trilogy) or MORE LIKELY due to the tweet -> planned on selling(or due to outrage giving) us the ending as a DLC?

Thats shitty shit, right? I mean straight up evil to hold back the fucking ending from retail. "We always had big plans...." for your wallets.

EDIT- She was corrected as her statement that they "always had big plans ((for the ending))" is opants on head retarded.

-> Chris Priestly statement: People are reading the wrong thing into this. We have always had DLC plans for ME3. We said so long before launch. This is not news as ME and ME2 had DLCs.

So they always had DLC plans, NOT pretaining to an extra ending. Unless in like two weeks they drop an ending dlc on us with full cgi movies that took months to make.... then its dubious.

SO my post is MOOTED by prestly's correction.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That would be hard because everyone says different things at most of those same points. Like, Javik can be funny on Sur'kesh, too.
    Orca wrote: »
    That said, ME2 sent Shepard from Badass Protagonist to unstoppable juggernaut of destruction Protagonist.

I think they overplayed this a bit. ME3 does a much better job showing Shepard as human, with loads of doubt or private concern moments, and the option to have Shepard talk about retiring after this. Contrast that with ME2, where the krogan shaman appreciatively notes that Shepard loves battle while the camera zooms in on Shepard's smirk. While they work as separate games, the arc becomes confused.

The series really suffers from a lack of planning. They should have gotten their shit together in ME2. Even in ME3, it felt like some of the writers were on a completely different page from the two ending writers. At the very least, it would make some of the ME3 ending choices make more sense.
    One of the major themes at the very end was the synthetics will always try to destroy organics thing. They didn't do a good job of actually set that up as a potential thing and half the point of many missions and characters in ME2 and ME3 was that the synthetics were stereotypical "destroy all X" robots but were just another form of life. Even the mission where you can fuck up and get the Quarians or Geth murdered made it very clear that the Geth were only acting in self defense. It would work a lot better if they showed Geth that were trying to promote "destroy all X" stuff. Not even the heretics really cared for that. They just wanted to basically ascend.

Couscous on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wow, thanks Spectre pack. A geth pulse rifle.

Don't know how much more I can take.

Gotten a Disciple yet?

Though that was only my first one. The rest could be lucky.

• CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    Javik is practically essential for Thessia, IMO.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

Wow. That is really something in the context of this whole drama. So they did rush out a poorly cobbled together ending with plans to fix it later? That really surprises me because the information we have suggests otherwise.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wow, thanks Spectre pack. A geth pulse rifle.

Don't know how much more I can take.

Gotten a Disciple yet?

Though that was only my first one. The rest could be lucky.

Er, the Disciple is great. It's ok damage but extremely low weight and has knockback. All of those things make it really good for various class/race combos. I'm not sure why you keep ragging on it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

They really need to like, call a meeting or something

Have some kind of unified fucking message company-wide, or don't put out any statement of any kind unless you run it past someone who knows what the fuck they're doing first

Because they are not helping people calm the eff down

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Wow. That is really something in the context of this whole drama. So they did rush out a poorly cobbled together ending with plans to fix it later? That really surprises me because the information we have suggests otherwise.

Well unless the "proper" ending was going to be text only, it makes sense... idk. Can't say I even care at this point, just give me more MP content.

Asari Vanguard is a fun mechanically different take on vanguarding. been playing that instead of hte adept/engy/human vangod.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Are real stripper costumes as awful as the ones in Mass Effect?

The most remarkable thing about it is that it contradicts what we know from other sources, what I know from other sources and what I've read in the final hours app. I honestly am not sure what to think of this statement, because it contradicts everything they wrote beforehand and were saying. If you planned to revise/clarify/add to the ending straight from the start: Why not say that and avoid the fucking mess in the first place? The obvious reason is they didn't and had no idea the ending would get this kind of reception (as indicated by Final Hours and Geoff's responses on BSN: I don't think he realized until he posted with people on there how widely the ending had been poorly received, just about every post asked him about it).

Not to mention that twitter account also has said some odd tweets to people saying the ending (spoilers now):
    Was a dream sequence or similar, which they reply with strange tweets that imply they are in agreement it is a "dream" sequence.

Are they totally going to go and retcon it with the indoctrination theory or some other "It was Shepard tripping balls" like explanation? Because they are seriously hinting at something like this recently, which has totally come out of nowhere but maybe they HAVE picked up on it as the easy way out.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The most remarkable thing about it is that it contradicts what we know from other sources, what I know from other sources and what I've read in the final hours app. I honestly am not sure what to think of this statement, because it contradicts everything they wrote beforehand and were saying. If you planned to revise/clarify/add to the ending straight from the start: Why not say that and avoid the fucking mess in the first place? The obvious reason is they didn't and had no idea the ending would get this kind of reception (as indicated by Final Hours and Geoff's responses on BSN: I don't think he realized until he posted with people on there how widely the ending had been poorly received, just about every post asked him about it).

Not to mention that twitter account also has said some odd tweets to people saying the ending (spoilers now):
    Was a dream sequence or similar, which they reply with strange tweets that imply they are in agreement it is a "dream" sequence.

Are they totally going to go and retcon it with the indoctrination theory or some other "It was Shepard tripping balls" like explanation? Because they are seriously hinting at something like this recently, which has totally come out of nowhere but maybe they HAVE picked up on it as the easy way out.

I doubt it.

I think they honestly thought they were just helping the "speculation from everyone!" perspective and didn't really realize what they were feeding into.

I think their communication was that inept, yes.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The most remarkable thing about it is that it contradicts what we know from other sources

So I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a harried PR rep blending a bunch of things up into 140 char responses. The first bit is about not changing the endings, since the new stuff is about "clarifying" them, which I read as "putting back the stuff we cut out when we went for a minimalist ending," and the rest is about DLC plans.

No point worrying about it until the real information comes out.

s7Imn5J.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    jesus christ are people still running the conspiracy theory that Bioware was planning a REAL ending the whole time

no, that would be the dumbest PR move ever in the world. They would cut Grissom Academy or Jacob's mission before they cut the ending. They'd be working on it instead of Javik.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Kai Leng was Kai-lame.

You wouldn't think that if you were made of cereal.

Minor ending spoilers.
    ibd0JpiLbuxiT8.jpg
    tumblr_m1i6gr7Wg61qjqceso1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1332987805&Signature=BkWMTpxAeV9HIyd6UaWHvUtxTeI%3D

I'm already bracing myself for the thirty posts a day starting April 1st clamoring about new info slated for April and probably not arriving until like, April 29th.

"guis did any news yet"
    "THEY SAID APRIL IT IS NOW APRIL WHERE IS APRIL NEWS WHAR"
    "Forensic analysis of this tweet reveals Bioware was lying all along, as you can see in this diagram of a rageface."

Shadow of the valley of death.

s7Imn5J.png
    Fantastic comics, would read again.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    jesus christ are people still running the conspiracy theory that Bioware was planning a REAL ending the whole time

no, that would be the dumbest PR move ever in the world. They would cut Grissom Academy or Jacob's mission before they cut the ending. They'd be working on it instead of Javik.

Sweetie, Bioware is not helping shit when the underlings are tweeting shit that pretty much implies they have an ending they are holding back and have always planned ((due to extremely poor and ambiguous wording))-> and they later have to clarify it away in other tweets.

They should know at this point that the user base is a lil restless and things like that do not help.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    -Tal wrote: »

Read the tweet Tal, bioware have started this latest round themselves :P

So did the leaked script turn out to be a real early script? There is stuff in it like
    Javik appears to have been the catalyst.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Phantoms are so much deadlier at range.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So Armor Penetration Mod for a Sniper Rifle is so damn Hilarious on Firebase: Glacier. i just sit at the windows is pop heads through them all day long.

Bless your heart.
    So one thing that bothered me about ME3.
    No major Thorian callback. I got an e-mail from Shiala that basically said that, "I think I'm still indoctrinated, but me and the Feros crew are still kicking Reaper ass because of what the Thorian did to us."

WHY ARE WE NOT STUDYING THIS EFFECT? Indoctrination is one of the most powerful tools the Reapers have; it's way more important than their Thanix cannons. So hey, let's just not try to counter it. Just to be fair to the godlike genocide monsters.

I really don't want to get back into the endgame fight, but they said that in certain builds, they had Shepard fighting indoctrination... the Thorian gave them an out.

But the whole plot hook was just left hanging on the wall. One of my larger complaints. I wonder if Drew K had intended to use it that way.

Because everyone is stupid. Seriously, I don't know how no one thought to record video of the suicide run in ME2 just so Shepard could say, "Look, even if you don't believe in the idea of a reaper threat, can't we all agree that this is fucking scary and that we should all be preparing for it right now?"

Heck, EDI gives analysis and commentary throughout the mission, so obviously there must be some sort of sensor feed going directly from the crew to the ship. And since that information is being analyzed by EDI, it must be in storage somewhere.

Shepard knew the council was sitting on their asses that entire game in denial. How in the world did "Collect evidence that Reapers are real" not become part of the mission?

• Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Hmmm the gold lobby I just joined lvl 3 Drell*N7 3 too*, lvl 1 Krogan solider, and a lvl 14 Krogan sentinel. I can understand new lvl 1's joining by accident, but come on people, what the hell.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Ending
    Everything after stabbing Kai Leng I felt was, at best, underwhelming, so I couldn't care less about what their "clarifying" DLC is. Without changing the ending, the best they can do is improve it from "nonsensical garbage" to just "unsatisfying garbage". I'd love to be surprised, but I'm not expecting more than half-hearted measures to explain away plot holes and add extra star child dialog.

On the other hand, I'd pay $$ if the DLC ending replaced Anderson with Rear Admiral Mikhailovich. There's a man who can get some answers.
    "That-human reaper is a gimmick, Harbinger. Useless in a stand-up fight. This experiment diverted thousands from the indoctrination efforts. For the same price you could've had a batarian dreadnaught!"
    "And we need to talk about the designers of your crucible, Commander. Prothean? Inuassanon? What are you thinking, Commander?"

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    No major Thorian callback. I got an e-mail from Shiala that basically said that, "I think I'm still indoctrinated, but me and the Feros crew are still kicking Reaper ass because of what the Thorian did to us."

WHY ARE WE NOT STUDYING THIS EFFECT? Indoctrination is one of the most powerful tools the Reapers have; it's way more important than their Thanix cannons. So hey, let's just not try to counter it. Just to be fair to the godlike genocide monsters.

I really don't want to get back into the endgame fight, but they said that in certain builds, they had Shepard fighting indoctrination... the Thorian gave them an out.

But the whole plot hook was just left hanging on the wall. One of my larger complaints. I wonder if Drew K had intended to use it that way.

Because everyone is stupid. Seriously, I don't know how no one thought to record video of the suicide run in ME2 just so Shepard could say, "Look, even if you don't believe in the idea of a reaper threat, can't we all agree that this is fucking scary and that we should all be preparing for it right now?"

Heck, EDI gives analysis and commentary throughout the mission, so obviously there must be some sort of sensor feed going directly from the crew to the ship. And since that information is being analyzed by EDI, it must be in storage somewhere.

Shepard knew the council was sitting on their asses that entire game in denial. How in the world did "Collect evidence that Reapers are real" not become part of the mission?
    STG has been studying this shit since Virmire. The Salarian military stole the Reaper IFF to build stealth dreadnoughts.

Special Tasks Group. They get shit done.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I thought this was nice.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/10712294

Basically has a list of enemy stats on each difficulty.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The game actually handled this pretty well. Each of the races were actually preparing for the Reapers, but they were doing it separately and secretly. The Turians were building new weapons based on Reaper tech, Earth was upgrading its fleet, the Salarians were doing sneaky bastard stuff to stay out of the war and the Asari actually knew all along thanks to their Prothean VI. The only people who thought the Reaper threat was made up was the common folk, who were being lied to by their leaders.

That fits the ME universe. The major races were divided and petty. Without the magic of Shepherd, they all would have perished separately.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

STG has been studying this shit since Virmire. The Salarian military stole the Reaper IFF to build stealth dreadnoughts.

Why is STG the only competent group in the galaxy?

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    36o team ASSEMBLE!

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    So Armor Penetration Mod for a Sniper Rifle is so damn Hilarious on Firebase: Glacier. i just sit at the windows is pop heads through them all day long.

IT's hilarious everywhere!

Just had a game where my poor dude just clipped vertically through the map. not sure how it happened. :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”

The breed Mordins and Kirrahes all day.

Kirrahe(sp)

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Wait, like the Reaper IFF Shepard got?

When did that happen?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    36o team ASSEMBLE!

I guess...

Dragkonias wrote: »
    36o team ASSEMBLE!

I guess...
    I'm not holding a gun to your head. I will though. If necessary.

When did that happen?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/War_Assets/Salarian

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    So I went and did a silly thing. I wasted a bunch of what would have otherwise been productive time making a Redlettermedia-style review of the ending. Here it be (spoilers for all three games):

edited March 2012

The breed Mordins and Kirrahes all day.

Kirrahe(sp)
    Also not-Mordin in ME3.

Couscous on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

When did that happen?
    When the Alliance was refitting the Normandy. Like I said, the Council races weren't exactly working together.