As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So I had a question about getting welcome bag/merch/swag. I won't be getting to PAX until Saturday morning. What are the chances I'll still be able to pick up some of that cool stuff?

The welcome bags never ran out at east 2011. You will have no issue getting the welcome bag as far as I know based on past experiences. As far as anything else goes, there's no real way to tell how long stocks will last or whether or not vendors will ration their items for each day.

Newb follow up question - what was in the welcome bags last year?

The program, with unique art from Mike, a demo deck of M:tG, and a LoL skin were the "non-advertisement" things I remember from last year.

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Quick geographical question for everyone. I promise I've done some quasi-competent searches before asking. :)

Where, geographically, is the Main Theater? I'm laser-focused on seeing the keynote and the first Q&A and I know I need to wait in line on Friday morning to do that. My question is: where will that line be? Is the Theater inside the convention center? Is it a nearby building? I think you see where I'm going with all of this.

Help me, PAX East veterans. You're my only hope. [/leia]

EDIT: Damn it, karma. Just after posting this message, I stumbled across the BCEC maps. The Main Theater is on the top floor (BCEC Level 3) of the building. Let me modify my questions.

For those who have attended a PAX East keynote, Q&A, or Main Theater line, what's the story? If I get to the BCEC early in the morning (before PAX opens) do we line up outside? Do we mill around in a giant mob until the doors open, then race to the Main Theater in a geeky stampede?

You line up for the MT outside of the MT. There's Q space on the 3rd floor outside of the theater, and it extends down onto the second floor as the line gets longer. You can enter the BCEC and begin lining up for things at 8am.
    Some people always come before 0800 though, and they'll have to line up outside the big front doors (the main entrance) on the north end of the building. Once people are through those doors they can go up to MT for the Keynote line, down to the Queue room for the TT, PC, and Expo line(s), or (maybe) to the individual satellite theatre, CFP, or CT lines (I'm unsure if we'll be letting people line up for these other events before 1000; maybe everyone but MT line people will need to go to the Queue Room).

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Quick geographical question for everyone. I promise I've done some quasi-competent searches before asking. :)

Where, geographically, is the Main Theater? I'm laser-focused on seeing the keynote and the first Q&A and I know I need to wait in line on Friday morning to do that. My question is: where will that line be? Is the Theater inside the convention center? Is it a nearby building? I think you see where I'm going with all of this.

EDIT: Damn it, karma. Just after posting this message, I stumbled across the BCEC maps. The Main Theater is on the top floor (BCEC Level 3) of the building. Let me modify my questions.

For those who have attended a PAX East keynote, Q&A, or Main Theater line, what's the story? If I get to the BCEC early in the morning (before PAX opens) do we line up outside? Do we mill around in a giant mob until the doors open, then race to the Main Theater in a geeky stampede?

You line up for the MT outside of the MT. There's Q space on the 3rd floor outside of the theater, and it extends down onto the second floor as the line gets longer. You can enter the BCEC and begin lining up for things at 8am.
    Some people always come before 0800 though, and they'll have to line up outside the big front doors (the main entrance) on the north end of the building. Once people are through those doors they can go up to MT for the Keynote line, down to the Queue room for the TT, PC, and Expo line(s), or (maybe) to the individual satellite theatre, CFP, or CT lines (I'm unsure if we'll be letting people line up for these other events before 1000; maybe everyone but MT line people will need to go to the Queue Room).

Are the only doors going into the BCEC outside the Westin?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular

No. Last year, we formed kind of an S shaped line in front of the doors on Summer Street. When I got there at about 7, the line was maybe 75-100 people long, and grew QUICK, extending down the street and around the corner before long.

Otherwise, some line up at the Westin entrance...and I can't speak to that

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    repeterepete Registered User regular
    Last year the bags had a deck of magic the gathering cards everything else was ads

• Options
    Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how to submit items for Retrogame Roadshow? I haven't been able to find any info on the forums

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    ottoman673 wrote: »

No. Last year, we formed kind of an S shaped line in front of the doors on Summer Street. When I got there at about 7, the line was maybe 75-100 people long, and grew QUICK, extending down the street and around the corner before long.

Last year, I'm pretty sure that the people at the Westin Skybridge entrance were not allowed in until after the line from the main doors on Summer Street was fully in, so maybe not until ~0900. Everyone arriving before 1000 should go to the Summer Street doors unless they come in on a shuttle and the shuttles are letting people in from different doors.

"We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    If you're a panelist, does your panelist badge cover you for the whole weekend?

linkbanner.jpg
  • Options
    thedandmom wrote: »
    If you're a panelist, does your panelist badge cover you for the whole weekend?
    Yes.

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I went back a few pages and didnt see this asked. On the guidebook app it has saturdays omegathon round at 830 and the concerts starting after. On the pax website its listed as 8pm. Which is the correct one? im trying to figure out how long i need to wait in line
    Confirmed, that Omegaround is currently scheduled for 8:00pm with the concerts (VGO) beginning shortly afterward.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Spera01Spera01 Registered User new member
    Hello, I have a question. A friend and I just bought our tickets for Friday the other day. We both registered and printed out our slips to bring to Will call at the event. Now I read that you need a valid photo ID along with the barcode to get your badge. Now my question is, will a school ID suffice? Unfortunately my friend and I don't have a state issued IDs or a drivers license. However our school IDs do have our photos, birth dates, etc. If someone could confirm this it'd help a ton! We just don't want to go only to find out that we wasted $35 and not be able to get in.

• Options
    folkitfolkit Lucille Bluth is my spirit animal. FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Per the forum rules, I won't post a picture of it, but the print on the holo sticker part of my Friday pass is rubbing off. I'm not quite sure what's causing it (I immediately put the badges in a part of my wallet that I don't use after I got them in the mail). Do you think that'll cause an issue at the actual event? I know it may seem like a very minor issue, but I don't want there to be any mistakes or hiccups when I get there.

folkit on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    it was addressed in the badge thread, but you should be fine as there are other ways of verifying if it's real or fake badge.

• Options
    folkitfolkit Lucille Bluth is my spirit animal. FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    it was addressed in the badge thread, but you should be fine as there are other ways of verifying if it's real or fake badge.

Oh, I was looking for that thread and couldn't find it. I guess this thread should get deleted.

folkit on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    no worries, here's the other thread too

• Options
    HuskyDorkHuskyDork Registered User regular
    Gumbyx84 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to submit items for Retrogame Roadshow? I haven't been able to find any info on the forums

If it's like last year, just bring your item and stand in line for the panel. The panel hosts came by 15-20 minutes before the start time and wrote down a list of names & items.

LQckybu.png
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Spera01 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a question. A friend and I just bought our tickets for Friday the other day. We both registered and printed out our slips to bring to Will call at the event. Now I read that you need a valid photo ID along with the barcode to get your badge. Now my question is, will a school ID suffice? Unfortunately my friend and I don't have a state issued IDs or a drivers license. However our school IDs do have our photos, birth dates, etc. If someone could confirm this it'd help a ton! We just don't want to go only to find out that we wasted $35 and not be able to get in.

I cannot speak for this year but last East at registration we generally allowed student IDs.

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    electricmeatelectricmeat Registered User regular
    Last year, I'm pretty sure that the people at the Westin Skybridge entrance were not allowed in until after the line from the main doors on Summer Street was fully in, so maybe not until ~0900. Everyone arriving before 1000 should go to the Summer Street doors unless they come in on a shuttle and the shuttles are letting people in from different doors.
    Again, great and valuable intel. Thanks for this, Jaberwocky. :)

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

I am totally being a girl about this but I don't want to stand out in the cold long. Once they open the doors at 8, you wait inside the BCEC right?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

I am totally being a girl about this but I don't want to stand out in the cold long. Once they open the doors at 8, you wait inside the BCEC right?

yes

• Options
    jar37jar37 Registered User regular
    Otherwise, some line up at the Westin entrance...and I can't speak to that[/quote]Last year, I'm pretty sure that the people at the Westin Skybridge entrance were not allowed in until after the line from the main doors on Summer Street was fully in, so maybe not until ~0900. Everyone arriving before 1000 should go to the Summer Street doors unless they come in on a shuttle and the shuttles are letting people in from different doors.

Last year on Friday they let the people on the Westin skywalk in at the same time as everybody else but then on Saturday they held us back until the people at the main entrance were in. It was not a happy scene on Saturday. I assume they had a reasn for doing this but it wasn't well explained why we were held there, stuck watching peole pour in to the building.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I remember being at the front entrance at the Friday line and people were disgruntled that the skywalkers were getting in first (since that entrance is closer? can't remember) despite us being at the "correct" place to line up.

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I remember being at the front entrance at the Friday line and people were disgruntled that the skywalkers were getting in first (since that entrance is closer? can't remember) despite us being at the "correct" place to line up.
    Yes, this. I expect the same thing to happen this year, but I won't be sure of it until Friday morning at about 0800. This is why I suggest people go to the Summer Street doors.

• Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ok so i have 2 questions.they both dont have to do with pax east but more of a traveling question to get to pax.ill put them in spoilers so im not taking up alot of room.
    question 1:so im trying to order bus tickets from peterpans website.i got to were they ask what kinda ticket i want and it says for different types of tickets,student standard,standby,student reserve and reserve seating....is the student standard the normal passanger ticket? or do i want the standby.figured it out.
    question 2:so since im taking the bus to boston on the 6th,i wont be there till 8am.im also staying at a hotel in chelsea mass.im wondering is there a place i can store my suite case so i dont have to go from south station to the hotel and then back to south station and then to pax?

a fraking toaster on
  • Options
    I'm trying to picture someplace in the bus or train terminals around South Station that have large lockers or something you could use, but I'm drawing a blank. You might be able to ask Peter Pan if they could stow it at the bus terminal for you, but honestly if it were me I wouldn't trust leaving my stuff at South Station. Only thing I can think of is to ask the concierge at another place if they'll pretty pretty please let you leave a bag there for the day, but I doubt they'll be happy about letting a non-guest do that.

• Options
    rascalrascal Registered User regular
    There is a package facility on the top (5th ?) floor of the bus depot at South Station -- I think it is operated by Greyhound, and is both a storage and a courier service. I occasionally park at the lot there; and from casual observation, the facility does not appear to be a particularly efficient or secure operation. Can you store your bag at the BCEC until you leave for the day?

• Options
    i know BCEC has a coat thing but idk if they will store a suit case as well.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I'm 90% sure they were storing bags, however I don't believe coat check has been confirmed for this year (or I've seen in this thread a while back that it was and already forgot).

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    i remember seeing sum were that coat checks were going to be available for 3$ or something like that.

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Is there a way to get text alerts for those of us too afraid (or behind) to use twitter?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    Is there a way to get text alerts for those of us too afraid (or behind) to use twitter?

Well, you can get Twitter to send you text messages. That's what I do during PAX, since my data connection is usually a total disaster.

Still have to sign up, but it's pretty painless. I never use it for anything but redirecting info for PAX to my text messages.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    JayDfromMA wrote: »

yes. Text 'follow' then the Twitter you want to follow to 40404. official_pax and pax_lines are the two most important.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Thank you so so much!

• Options
    UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This will be my first year at PAX East. I live about two and a half hours away from Boston and I was wondering what time do people start lining up at the door in. I could leave at any time but I would like to be one of the first there. Also, for the other Panels how long before should I line up? Thank You.

UNHMAN on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    UNHMAN wrote:
    This will be my first year at PAX East. I live about two and a half hours away from Boston and I was wondering what time do people start lining up at the door in. I could leave at any time but I would like to be one of the first there. Also, for the other Panels how long before should I line up? Thank You.

The answers you seek can be found in the FAQ or the "First time to PAX" thread. :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    I looked at it before and it was helpful. What I want to avoid though is showing up say at 7 and getting in a line a half mile long. I won't mind once I am in the building though.

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    What SmallLady said: those threads should have the info, and if not then you should be able to inquire there. But I'll be nice here. :)

Showing up at 7 should be pretty good actually. There will be some form of a line, but I doubt it will be terribly long yet. If you really want to be one of the first in, try at least an hour before that; IIRC, there have been times where people lined up very early in the morning, maybe even the night before (outside of course). But only a few.

As for panels, it depends on the panel. 30 minutes is usually enough, maybe more than enough, for many of the smaller panels, but anything in the main theater or involving a big AAA game or some rather big-name people, you might want to give 60-90 minutes, at least. It's always easy to walk by the panel room and check to see if there's a line just in case. Also follow @PAX_Lines on twitter, they make frequent posts about the current state of many lines.

NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    Thanks.

• Options
    kc0mlpkc0mlp Registered User new member
    gigabrain wrote: »
    Are any of the rest of you that are attending Hams? I'm gonna be bringing my HT with me, and wouldn't mind having a talk-in frequency for the weekend.

73 de KB1QKF

I'll be there as an enforcer and will have my HT on me if I can get a battery shipped in time!

-Don't try and pronounce KC0MLP, just call me KC
    -√(-1) 2³ ∑(π)
  • Options
    UNHMAN wrote: »
    I looked at it before and it was helpful. What I want to avoid though is showing up say at 7 and getting in a line a half mile long. I won't mind once I am in the building though.

Just to check--is it the keynote you're hoping to get a good seat for on Friday? If you happened to not be interested in the keynote, or if you don't care that much about getting a great seat, you may not have to arrive nearly that early for whatever it is you do want to see first.