As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    So where does it say the Salarians are building stealth dreadnaughts? I feel like I missed something important!

Well apparently you don't get that text unless you
    Sabotage the genophage cure. So you never read that text because you are not a monster.

What's interesting is if you kill Wrex and destroy the data.
    Then you can get Krogan support, get Salarian support, and keep Mordin alive, and have Mordin help on the crucible. Yeah, the Krogan race is doomed to extinction, but since Wreav is in charge, who cares.

Of course, it'll all go to hell in a few thousand years when the genophage wears off and the Krogan are pissed as hell.
    I really don't get how the Krogan are doomed to extinction with the genophage. Because Wrex said so? He's wrong. In ME3, the game states a few things.

One, there are over 10 billion Krogan currently alive, that's not a little bit.

Two, Krogan can have 1000 children a year. The genophage makes 1 in 1000 births not carry to term. So, on average, one baby per year per Krogan female. That's pretty similar to Earth standard of reproduction.

Three, Mordin himself in ME2 states that the genophage is designed not to make the Krogan extinct, but to slow down their breeding to allow for advances in technology that allow them to breed unchecked.

That being said, Mordin isn't curing the genphage because it's logical, it's because he feels guilty about how it works. The Krogan females carry their stillborn children to birth and, on average, have 999 stillborns a year. Mordin did not change his mind until after building a relationship with Eve. In ME3, she speaks to Shepard about how she felt after her first stillborn. Mordin looked at the genophage from a pure logical perspective before Eve made him realize how the Krogan women felt (don't forget he's a Salarian, different breeding styles).

Discounting the ethics of forcing stillborns on a race for a moment, the Krogan were never in any danger of going extinct based on the genophage. Their dwindling numbers, if you can call it that, are a social problem, not a reproduciton problem. Wrex in ME1 does state that many Krogan become mercenaries because it allows them to vent their frustration and hopelessness about their racial predicament.

For me, curing the genophage is not an option. The armies in ME3 only have the capacity to fight the Reapers for one year before the infrastructure collapses (a Shadow Broker email intercept in game). So that means, even if fully cured, there is no possible way curing the genophage will be able to contribute anything to the war besides moral to the Krogan. So curing it gives two things based on winning or losing. If the Repear war is won, you now have a fully cured Krogan spread through out a galaxy that lost significan military and infrastructure. There is also no fucking way for a second that I believe Wrex and Eve can control 10 billion Krogan. So winning the war will most likely lead to another Krogan rebellion without adding a single tangible resource to the Reaper war. Second, if they lose the war and are cured....well, congradulations. You just added a few billion babies to get killed by the reapers.

So yeah, I killed Mording and lied to the Krogan about being cured so I could get their help. Then when Wrex confronted me about cheating him and he threatened to pull the Krogan? I killed him too. But guess what? He should have recalled his forces before he confronted me, because he died before he could follow through on his thrreat. In the end, I got the Krogan to help me on Earth (led by Grunt who if you belive him from ME2, likes the genophage) and tricked them into thinking they are cured.

Yes I am a monster.

the idea is that
    the genophage was designed to keep the krogan birthrate at population-stable levels, but mordin didn't consider how that would effect krogan culture and behavior. The result of which is they aren't replacing themselves at stable levels.

Mordin initially dismisses this the same way you do, as a the krogan's problem to solve. But that really isn't a fair approach, especially since essentially the entire fate of the krogan since their uplift is the result of salarian engineering. The female (whose name I now can't remember for some reason) talks about how the genophage led to the withdrawal of females from krogan society, since they were too valuable as babyfactories to do anything else (or to be temporarily allowed to do anything else, anyway.)

Honestly, the salarians' use of the krogan isn't that different from what the reapers plan to do to the entire galaxy; harvest a sentient race for their own ends, and if they don't like it fuck them

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So where does it say the Salarians are building stealth dreadnaughts? I feel like I missed something important!

Sabotage the genophage cure. So you never read that text because you are not a monster.

Then you can get Krogan support, get Salarian support, and keep Mordin alive, and have Mordin help on the crucible. Yeah, the Krogan race is doomed to extinction, but since Wreav is in charge, who cares.

Of course, it'll all go to hell in a few thousand years when the genophage wears off and the Krogan are pissed as hell.
    I really don't get how the Krogan are doomed to extinction with the genophage. Because Wrex said so? He's wrong. In ME3, the game states a few things.

Two, Krogan can have 1000 children a year. The genophage makes 1 in 1000 births not carry to term. So, on average, one baby per year per Krogan female. That's pretty similar to Earth standard of reproduction.

Three, Mordin himself in ME2 states that the genophage is designed not to make the Krogan extinct, but to slow down their breeding to allow for advances in technology that allow them to breed unchecked.

That being said, Mordin isn't curing the genphage because it's logical, it's because he feels guilty about how it works. The Krogan females carry their stillborn children to birth and, on average, have 999 stillborns a year. Mordin did not change his mind until after building a relationship with Eve. In ME3, she speaks to Shepard about how she felt after her first stillborn. Mordin looked at the genophage from a pure logical perspective before Eve made him realize how the Krogan women felt (don't forget he's a Salarian, different breeding styles).

Discounting the ethics of forcing stillborns on a race for a moment, the Krogan were never in any danger of going extinct based on the genophage. Their dwindling numbers, if you can call it that, are a social problem, not a reproduciton problem. Wrex in ME1 does state that many Krogan become mercenaries because it allows them to vent their frustration and hopelessness about their racial predicament.

For me, curing the genophage is not an option. The armies in ME3 only have the capacity to fight the Reapers for one year before the infrastructure collapses (a Shadow Broker email intercept in game). So that means, even if fully cured, there is no possible way curing the genophage will be able to contribute anything to the war besides moral to the Krogan. So curing it gives two things based on winning or losing. If the Repear war is won, you now have a fully cured Krogan spread through out a galaxy that lost significan military and infrastructure. There is also no fucking way for a second that I believe Wrex and Eve can control 10 billion Krogan. So winning the war will most likely lead to another Krogan rebellion without adding a single tangible resource to the Reaper war. Second, if they lose the war and are cured....well, congradulations. You just added a few billion babies to get killed by the reapers.

So yeah, I killed Mording and lied to the Krogan about being cured so I could get their help. Then when Wrex confronted me about cheating him and he threatened to pull the Krogan? I killed him too. But guess what? He should have recalled his forces before he confronted me, because he died before he could follow through on his thrreat. In the end, I got the Krogan to help me on Earth (led by Grunt who if you belive him from ME2, likes the genophage) and tricked them into thinking they are cured.

Yes I am a monster.

Reapers, dude.
    Although I guess they're fine now due to the Deus Ex Machina.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    So I went and did a silly thing. I wasted a bunch of what would have otherwise been productive time making a Redlettermedia-style review of the ending. Here it be (spoilers for all three games):

Well done. Well articulated.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Oh my god there are parts of your video I'm absolutely loving

Tchunka spoiler
    You get to see a thresher maw bite a reaper right in it's stupid smug face

Made me laugh really really hard.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Huh. It seems the weapon upgrade list is incomplete/won't scroll all the way. I just want to upgrade my Raptor, damnit!

steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Is it at level 5? They don't upgrade beyond that before NG+.

s7Imn5J.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    So I went and did a silly thing. I wasted a bunch of what would have otherwise been productive time making a Redlettermedia-style review of the ending. Here it be (spoilers for all three games):

I concur, even though I have significant doubts anything will ever get changed, ever.

Also proof that Socrates makes everything better.

Or was it hemlock.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    So, yeah. Adepts are like the Coat of Arms from Magic; every time another Adept joins the party, the power level of all Adepts increases. We played a 4-Adept party tonight (3 Asari and 1 Drell), and it was absolutely monstrous. Everyone's basically Stasis Bubble, Warp (maximum cooldown and detonation), Throw (maximum force and detonation), and Fitness. Completely drop Asari Justicar because Predators already give you a 200% recharge bonus, and some extra power and force bonuses are pretty meh considering what you can do with this build. It's pretty good on its own, but once you add in another, or two other, or three other Adepts ... it's just insane.

We were taking down Brutes in less than 5-6 seconds. When anything big would show up (Brute, Banshee, Ravager, etc), I would spam Throw, and everyone else would spam Warp or Reave. If it's timed correctly, every single time I toss a Throw, it will trigger a +100% radius and damage Biotic Explosion, wiping out everything around the target, and severely damaging it.

Because of the sound our powers make while we're in action, I think we've decided to call ourselves, "Team Dubstep."

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh my god there are parts of your video I'm absolutely loving

Tchunka spoiler
    You get to see a thresher maw bite a reaper right in it's stupid smug face

Made me laugh really really hard.

I loved 14:30 and The "Turian Councilor".

• NabobNabob Registered User regular
    Has anyone else been getting the vanguard z-axis bug more lately? It used to happen pretty rarely for me but today it has happened in literally every game I've played as my vanguard. I'm wondering if the new patch screwed it up more...

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
    I won't even play Vanguard in multi when I'm hosting at this point. Spending six wave jitting up and down while randomly floting about the map is... not fun.

Oddly I had it happen upon a rez playing Soldier and it just put me back at my starting point (where I spawned for the round). The fact that it doesn't just do that with Vanguards is kind of annoying.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    So, yeah. Adepts are like the Coat of Arms from Magic; every time another Adept joins the party, the power level of all Adepts increases. We played a 4-Adept party tonight (3 Asari and 1 Drell), and it was absolutely monstrous. Everyone's basically Stasis Bubble, Warp (maximum cooldown and detonation), Throw (maximum force and detonation), and Fitness. Completely drop Asari Justicar because Predators already give you a 200% recharge bonus, and some extra power and force bonuses are pretty meh considering what you can do with this build. It's pretty good on its own, but once you add in another, or two other, or three other Adepts ... it's just insane.

We were taking down Brutes in less than 5-6 seconds. When anything big would show up (Brute, Banshee, Ravager, etc), I would spam Throw, and everyone else would spam Warp or Reave. If it's timed correctly, every single time I toss a Throw, it will trigger a +100% radius and damage Biotic Explosion, wiping out everything around the target, and severely damaging it.

Because of the sound our powers make while we're in action, I think we've decided to call ourselves, "Team Dubstep."

I've been playing Drell Adept a lot since I unlocked it, think I might totally ignore the Drell Assassin passive skill once I promote and re-level though, and just go full Pull, Reave, Cluster Grenade, and Fitness

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Yes I am a monster.

the idea is that
    the genophage was designed to keep the krogan birthrate at population-stable levels, but mordin didn't consider how that would effect krogan culture and behavior. The result of which is they aren't replacing themselves at stable levels.

Mordin initially dismisses this the same way you do, as a the krogan's problem to solve. But that really isn't a fair approach, especially since essentially the entire fate of the krogan since their uplift is the result of salarian engineering. The female (whose name I now can't remember for some reason) talks about how the genophage led to the withdrawal of females from krogan society, since they were too valuable as babyfactories to do anything else (or to be temporarily allowed to do anything else, anyway.)

Honestly, the salarians' use of the krogan isn't that different from what the reapers plan to do to the entire galaxy; harvest a sentient race for their own ends, and if they don't like it fuck them
    I know. The genophage isn't directly causing them to die out. It's the psychological aspect of it. They think themselves dying out, so take on a fatalistic attutude that causes them to slowly die out. But the Krogan problem in the end is still a social problem. If, hypothetically, pre-Rebellion. The Krogan set up strict population control, there would have never been an issue. But all that goes against their nature because of the harsh conditions on Tuchanka.

Orca has the right of it. I saw a way to get what I wanted and took it. Even if it meant becoming a monster against everything I believe in. I feel guilty for dooming them to a lifetime of stillborn births, but not guilty if they go extinct. If there was an option to cure them of the genophage and control their birthrate through a more humane manner, I would have taken it.

I'm just trying to justify to myself my own action and convince myself they are the right decision based on a logical and pragmatic conclusion. Kinda like Mordin in ME2 :(

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

This video is well done. I'm afraid it's a bit too long to go viral, but I think every ME fan should watch it.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    That revelation that
    Krogan lay thousands of eggs and that there are billions of Krogans kidna ruined some of the drama of the genophage for me. I understand it's still a difficult moral issue, but it felt so much heavier when it felt like they were Children of Men in sci-fi fantasy. I imagine the idea is so that they could recover their numbers quickly if you chose to cure them, but quick fixes aren't as cool.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Man, I'm always struck by how fucking awesome the music for all these games really was.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Wave 10's a mess. Engineer isolated from our Krogan isolated from our Vanguard by a network of turrets and snipers and phantoms.

Our Krogan gets trapped standing out in the open and can't fire due to whatever bug.

Engineer and Vanguard both die. 6 remaining nemeses converge on the immobile Krogan, who I have finally linked up with.

Every time the snipers gunned him down I propped his otherwise-useless body back up.

You can't die yet you can tank even in brain death.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular

I posted it on Something Awful
    hope you don't mind

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote: »

I posted it on Something Awful
    hope you don't mind

oh god no

I mean, excellent...

edited March 2012
    Also this video is quite enjoyable to listen to.

EDIT:
    Also hells yeah, watching a Thresher Maw kicking a Reapers faceass was so many levels of awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

Emphasized for agreement, but -

What if Im completely ok with nuking Wisconsin?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I love learning all of the little cross-class combos that you can pull off for tech bursts/biotic explosions. For example, Concussive Shot detonates Energy Drain. Both have a pretty short cooldown, so after discovering this near the beginning of a game my Turian Soldier teamed up with a Salarian Infiltrator to make every Geth we saw violently explode. It was amazingly fun.

edited March 2012

I liked it. Enough said.

Edit: I never realized you know who only had 14 lines of dialog :?

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited March 2012
    Double post: Ignore

Edit: Figured I'd make use of the double post.

imqrU.png

:^:

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Yes I am a monster.

the idea is that

I know. The genophage isn't directly causing them to die out. It's the psychological aspect of it. They think themselves dying out, so take on a fatalistic attutude that causes them to slowly die out. But the Krogan problem in the end is still a social problem. If, hypothetically, pre-Rebellion. The Krogan set up strict population control, there would have never been an issue. But all that goes against their nature because of the harsh conditions on Tuchanka.

Orca has the right of it. I saw a way to get what I wanted and took it. Even if it meant becoming a monster against everything I believe in. I feel guilty for dooming them to a lifetime of stillborn births, but not guilty if they go extinct. If there was an option to cure them of the genophage and control their birthrate through a more humane manner, I would have taken it.

I'm just trying to justify to myself my own action and convince myself they are the right decision based on a logical and pragmatic conclusion. Kinda like Mordin in ME2 :(
    Did that in ME2.

Then in ME3, I snapped like a twig. Wrex was RIGHT THERE. Disapproving. And Mordin was all going around planning to reverse the genophage, when he was the one who argued me around in the first place.

Oh, I argued myself into thinking the decision was right now when it wasn't then.

"It was about the Turians destroying the Krogans. They're cool with it now!"

"Wrex is firmly in charge now. That makes things different."

"The numbers were too fast growing in peacetime. There's a WAR now. Lots of room in the galaxy."

"It'll be different this time. All the bastards are dead."

"The Dalatrass is a bitch."

Some of them might be true. Might even be enough to change the math to make curing the genophage right.

But I know that isn't why I chose it. I just went with "My friends are on this side. I'm not going to betray them."

Like a chump.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I know this hurts me IMO

• AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    @Yougottawanna
    Antithesis wrote: »
    You pondered before making this, and weren't apologetic or embarrassed at its structure. I like it.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Holy balls, this comic kinda sums up everything in....3 panels. Surprisingly apt methinks, especially given the face in the 3rd panel. :D

http://threepanelsoul.com/2012/03/25/on-storytelling/

Ok so I ended up as host and decided to try to do Vanguard smashy smash. Had minor z axis issues on two rounds but the third had an epic finish.

Firebase and we ended up with a hack and hold for wave 10. All three of my teamates ignored the single door at the top of the ramp and focused on the two back doors. I killed the first pair of enemies that came through the door with a missile (Banshee+Brute) and then proceeded to hold that door for the rest of the hack by myself. In the process of doing so I killed five Ravagers, another Brute and god only knows how many Cannibals/Husks all with nothing more then savage smashing of faces.

Holy shit I forgot how much fun Vanguard is when it works.

Double post: Ignore

Edit: Figured I'd make use of the double post.

imqrU.png

:^:

This made me do annoyingly-stilted-loud-laugh

Full disclosure? There might be vodka involved.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm always struck by how fucking awesome the music for all these games really was.

Halo(entire series), Bastion, both Portals, Jamestown, and every ME OST is what populates my iPod.

In order of amazing ME>Bastion>Halos>Jamestown>Portals

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh, think I may have overheard something on the Citadel. Relating to the worst reporter.
    Gave Allers the boot. And later, I heard one of the news broadcasts mention her name.

It wasn't easy to hear with all the other ambiant noise, but I think the phrases "among the dead" and "our friend and colleague" were used along with.

Fairly easy to guess the rest.

Don't like her (why I kicked her off the ship once all the points were gained), but...

Felt a little shitty anyway.

chiasaur11 on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

Everything dies immediately, spec shields anyway ;-)

Finally beat Reaper gold last night, which makes all three. Now to never do it again, because Banshees are hella obnoxious >.>

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I wonder if anyone tries to invent Krogan birth control.

I think the Genophage would be better if the stillborn children weren't so disheartening.

edited March 2012
    Ok does anyone know what the
    Starchild conversation music is called? Not "An End, Once and for All" but the music which plays when you're talking to it.

EDIT: Nevermind found it.

electricitylikesme on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wonder if anyone tries to invent Krogan birth control.

I think the Genophage would be better if the stillborn children weren't so disheartening.

They (at least think they) can't afford to use birth control, so.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Starchild conversation music is called? Not "An End, Once and for All" but the music which plays when you're talking to it.

what's the track name?

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »

what's the track name?

On YouTube it's "The Catalyst", and it's the unofficial OST.

I'm getting a little annoyed with the official OST for games tending to exclude good tracks.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Thanks!

PNk1Ml4.png