As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So glad I am following this book. Issue 3 is excellent, high marks for every category you care to name.

It is fun while still maintaining a sense of danger, and death seems to matter unlike all my other comics. :D

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    oh god

solicits for issue six for both RID and MTMTE are out

for one, the artist for Autocracy and Chaos is doing the art for issue 6 of Robots in Disguise, and Nick Roche is back for More Than Meets The Eye #6!

big fucking spoilers (though somewhat predictable) behind the spoiler tag, you have been warned

Antimatter on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    re: Spoiler from solicits
    I don't mind Optimus/Orion being part of the story again, but I do hope he stays off-planet having adventures.

Speculation is that the fan-favorites are the Dinobots and that Shockwave somehow has Grimlock, who has been missing from his cell since LSotW.

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    e: nvm

Antimatter on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Most interesting... I was about to ask who the heck the green Autobot flier was, till a few pages later and found out he was just an extra. So I am guessing that the Aerialbots don't form Superion in this universe right?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Not yet, nope

Also, Barrel Roll was a minicon from 2010 with no prior fiction, neat he got some characterization

• Options
    Ah ok, no wonder I never heard of him before. I do love Dirge's design in the new series though. Wonder if we'll see Thrust and Ramjet in this issue as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    sadly, Mike Costa killed Thrust in a throwaway line in Spotlight: Prowl in 2010

and Ramjet died at the end of his Spotlight in 2007, because he tried to rebel against Megatron and take his role as leader

• Options
    Nooooooo!!!! I loved Thrust out of the three coneheads, mostly because that was my first and only Decepticon flyer when I was a kid. Ramjet was the coolest with his large bomb/laser units.

To ruin my mood even more did they also kill off any of the Decpticon cassettes other than Ratbat?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ummm
    fairly sure Ravage, Frenzy, and Rumble are all alive, Frenzy is questionable but probably alive

• Options
    That's good, those guys will always have a soft spot in my heart for them. I really loved how they brought the "team" together in Megatron Origins.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    you know what I'm kinda hoping for, after I saw someone suggest it? I think it'd be awesome if Ravage was given a humanoid body as a reward for being loyal, as a mirror to Ratbat being stripped of his original body for his treatment of the cybertronians that became the Decepticons.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    So you can tie RID/MTMTE to Beast Wars in your headcannon, right?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    i would not mind being able to tie RID/MTMTE into beast wars

would be better than the g1 cartoon and marvel comic!

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Man, Ravage was so awesome on Beast Wars.

I loved the idea of a Decepticon who'd been granted amnesty, and wound up allying with the Maximals.

But then he did a heel-turn like an episode later, and got blown up.

• Options
    and his russian accent

so classy

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Swung by the comics shop today to pick up my monthly stash, and they finally had MTMTE #1 in (a first print, no less).

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    Swung by the comics shop today to pick up my monthly stash, and they finally had MTMTE #1 in (a first print, no less).

aw man, that's super! tell us what you think when you get around to it!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    It was great! I had 2 but couldn't get my hands on 1 for a long time. The art and writing are both fantastic.

Re: RID #3
    Arcee seems to be going real, real dark. These are the first comics series I've read, though I followed all the animated series and games and such, so I don't know how consistent that is. I know, that shit's gotten bad on Cybertron since the war ended and now we have both Autobots and Decepticons involved in dark activity, but the stuff she's up to seems above and beyond. Of course, she could just be doing what Prowl's telling her to do.

Now I just need to find The Death of Optimus Prime.

• Options
    http://store.comicfusion.net/in2087.html
    dunno how reputable this place is (they don't even have the right cover for DoOP) and shipping is pricy but hrm

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I keep reading the previews and scans from issues, and, although I have no trouble figuring out the main story beats, I feel like I'm missing at least half the story due to not knowing who all the characters are, what their prior characterization has been, and what the 1980s toy "Bio & Tech Specs" said.

Like, on the previous page, Antimatter said:
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Cyclonus and Tailgate talking to each other! This is awesome because Tailgate was supposed to be on Cyclonus's ship 4 million years ago, and they almost certainly know each other.
    and I have no idea what that's in reference to, why it's relevant, or what's so interesting about two robo-dudes talking to each other.

I guess I feel a little embarassed about this, because I've been a tremendous fan of the toys for the last 20 years, but I've never paid much attention to the storylines or the characterization (except in Beast Wars, which I actually watched as it aired).

• Options
    edited March 2012
    well
    Tailgate's just been introduced in More Than Meets the Eye #1

Cyclonus has been around a few years now in IDW

Cyclonus was a member of an expedition 4 million years ago to expand Cybertronian control of space, and made it on the ship

Tailgate was introduced as someone who was going to be on that expedition with Cyclonus, but he got stuck underneath Cybertron's surface with broken off legs, didn't make it to the ship, and was waking up/falling asleep constantly over the course of 4 million years because of his damage
    he was trying to get free and make it back to the surface to get to the ship, not knowing how long it took him to make any progress while he was moving because he had a broken chronometer

Tailgate only just got discovered after the Great War ended, and Tailgate knew nothing about Autobots or Decepticons because of the fact that he's been cut off from the rest of the Cybertronian society

Cyclonus and the expedition ended up doing their own crazy things off of Cybertron, and they only recently came back to interact with Cybertron proper
    Cyclonus has a few more years of experience dealing with Autobots and Decepticons than Tailgate has, and he actually went on the expedition
    so, Cyclonus has a chance to fill Tailgate in on things

Cyclonus's characterization and Tailgate's characterization actually aren't based on tech spec bios, thankfully

Tailgate here was a member of a bomb disposal team, and Cyclonus is a Cybertronian patriot who loves his planet

when in doubt, use the Transformers wiki
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cyclonus_(G1)#IDW_Generation_1_comics
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Tailgate_(G1)#IDW_Generation_1_comics

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Interesting. That's a pretty cool (and horrifying) story about Tailgate. Now I see what got you so excited about the two of them talking.

See, when I saw Cyclonus in the comic, I was like "oh, right, the guy Unicron made by reformatting one of the Decepticons". So, in the IDW comics he has a separate identity?

The TF Wiki is my favorite wiki, if only because of the image captions. I usually don't delve too deeply into the character histories, though, because the histories from the various cartoons and comics often conflict, and I generally don't want to spend too much time trying to untangle what's what and where. Mostly because I don't read the comics. Which I don't read because I don't delve too deeply into character histories. I am aware of the cyclical nature of all this. (I plan to pick up the first trade of each of the two current Transformer series when they come out.)

• Options
    Yup, no unicron in idw
    Cyclonus, scourge, and galvatron are their own dudes

• Options
    I have the problem of making me remember that the new series is not connected to the original comics/cartoons all the time. I do have to ask, if I picked up The Last Stand of the Wreckers, will that answer the question of mine which is, "What the heck is up with Whirl???" Because I feel like that new guest to the party where everybody knows and avoids the whacko who is near the good appetizers. I walk right up to get some then five hours later regret doing so.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Whirl is in only a few pages of Wreckers, and doesn't play a huge role in it at all. If you want to learn more about him, you're going to want to pick up two of the single issues for the last ongoing, simply titled The Transformers, specifically issues #22 and #23.
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Chaos_Theory_Part_1
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Chaos_Theory_Part_2

• Options
    but really, Whirl's deal hasn't been explained too much

Roberts is still trying to give characterization to him, and almost the entire crew of the Lost Light

for example, Whirl was forced to leave the Wreckers, and we don't know why, and Rung mentions that Whirl did something to Springer, that we don't know what

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The TF Wiki is my favorite wiki, if only because of the image captions.

Have you seen the Wheelie page?

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Whirl is such a dick.

Swerve is my new golden god. Swerve, Skids and ... we need one more for a holy Trinity. Rung 'The Eyebrows Have it' ... wait, this joke only works if there's a last name.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Thanks Antimatter on filling the background on Whirl. I think I might go pick up those two comics one of these days to just check out. Glad I do not feel like I am missing anything now. Think I will continue to read the comics and hope that they eventually answer these questions.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    very welcome! yeah, I can't wait to see what Roberts has planned and how much he's going to fill us in on.

Barber said in an interview that he, personally, had plans for the ongoing for the next year in his head, while Roberts has enough to last 30 years

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The TF Wiki is my favorite wiki, if only because of the image captions.

Have you seen the Wheelie page?

That is amazing.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    RiD#3: Enjoyed it overall, though I feel they are integrating Starscream into the mix a little too quickly for my tastes. I'm happy to see any attempt at involving politics into the story about sentient robots that change shapes, so can't complain too loudly.

That is the first bit of criticism I have had for either Transformers book thus far, impressive!

• Options
    Finally got a chance to read RiD #3

I thought it was pretty great! Starscream seems to be taking advantage of power vacuums pretty handily, and it's interesting to see him not be completely dishonest.

• Options
    There a release date yet for MtMtE #4?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    um, should be out next week

two weeks from now if there's a delay

• Options
    Woooooooot.

Maybe I'll be able to find a shop to pick up RID 1-3 on Monday too. Oregon coast road trip! With a guy!

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    RID #1 was reprinted a couple months ago, and 2 was reprinted last month

you have a shot

• Options
    A ... Bot ... shot?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam