As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

May the odds be ever in your favour! [Hunger Games Movie]

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I'm going for Hufflepuff. Filled with girls with low self esteem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Z5_wipT2o

this is great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyAnhDO9v4

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Hunger Games the movie was pretty good and pretty darn truthful to the book, if not entirely in content than at least in mood and message.

i enjoyed it very much and most of the changes they made were taking out content that didnt directly drive to plot forward.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Just got back from this. Good movie, didn't really think the shaky-cam was that bad. The sequels should be pretty good, looking forward to 'em.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Just got back from this. Good movie, didn't really think the shaky-cam was that bad. The sequels should be pretty good, looking forward to 'em.

HA!

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll assume you haven't read the sequels

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Okay a few Q's

I guess movie book spoilers do we even care at this point
    Where did the kid get that paint from to paint himself like a mossrock

why didnt they send her healing salve instead of soup??

Why didn't Katniss get all WHAT THE FUCK WHY DID YOU HELP THEM TRY AND FIND AND KILL ME YOU D-BAG to peeta

Overall I liked this movie more than I thought I would!! I haven't read the books, just wanted to see what the fuss was about. I wished they'd shown everyones costumes when they did that little chariot ride thing, and I was disappointed after how much emphasis was put on Sponsors and stuff that we only saw her get like.. two little ball thingies. And he thing was, I mean, I know there's another book. I know she doesn't die. So I was never really ever afraid for her, it was just kind of waiting it out until the end of the games because everyones gonna live but her. I also thought it was kinda bunk how she was p much willing to risk both of their lives instead of just shooting the guy who kinda tried to kill her (I guess they captured him and he negotiated for his life? but he didnt have to fucking actuall lead them to where she was), when before she was all, GOTTA DO THIS, GOTTA GET BACK TO MY LIL SIS

edited March 2012
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Okay a few Q's

Why didn't Katniss get all WHAT THE FUCK WHY DID YOU HELP THEM TRY AND FIND AND KILL ME YOU D-BAG to peeta

Overall I liked this movie more than I thought I would!! I haven't read the books, just wanted to see what the fuss was about. I wished they'd shown everyones costumes when they did that little chariot ride thing, and I was disappointed after how much emphasis was put on Sponsors and stuff that we only saw her get like.. two little ball thingies. And he thing was, I mean, I know there's another book. I know she doesn't die. So I was never really ever afraid for her, it was just kind of waiting it out until the end of the games because everyones gonna live but her. I also thought it was kinda bunk how she was p much willing to risk both of their lives instead of just shooting the guy who kinda tried to kill her (I guess they captured him and he negotiated for his life? but he didnt have to fucking actuall lead them to where she was), when before she was all, GOTTA DO THIS, GOTTA GET BACK TO MY LIL SIS
    not sure about paint. in the book he just uses mud and twigs and stuff. they really made it like crazy whoa in the movie with the detail though.

each day the 'gifts' get exponentially more expensive to send. so while the healing salve is expensive, that soup probably cost just as much as the salve given that it was a few days later. Also in the books, they are in the cave for days and the soup canister becomes one of the primary tools of survival for them.

in the book you get katniss' inner thoughts and she is pretty much distrusting of peeta all the way into the cave. she only comes to really trust him in the cave. before then, she is all 'imma just help this fucker cause he is my best chance'

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Okay a few Q's

not sure about paint. in the book he just uses mud and twigs and stuff. they really made it like crazy whoa in the movie with the detail though.

each day the 'gifts' get exponentially more expensive to send. so while the healing salve is expensive, that soup probably cost just as much as the salve given that it was a few days later. Also in the books, they are in the cave for days and the soup canister becomes one of the primary tools of survival for them.

in the book you get katniss' inner thoughts and she is pretty much distrusting of peeta all the way into the cave. she only comes to really trust him in the cave. before then, she is all 'imma just help this fucker cause he is my best chance'
    All the way into the cave?? so I assume in the books its more than like.. a five minute walk. Because it did also seem kinda dumb to me to put him in a cave like that which looked pretty easy to find when hes totally defenseless . Did the ever address the, hey, what the fuck was up with trying to kill me?? thing in the book??

I kinda wanna read it, but I prettymuch never read books so want to make sure it isn't dumb first.

Okay a few Q's

All the way into the cave?? so I assume in the books its more than like.. a five minute walk. Because it did also seem kinda dumb to me to put him in a cave like that which looked pretty easy to find when hes totally defenseless . Did the ever address the, hey, what the fuck was up with trying to kill me?? thing in the book??

I kinda wanna read it, but I prettymuch never read books so want to make sure it isn't dumb first.

the first book is entertaining and itll help you grasp some of the decisions she made better.

they are SUPER quick reads too. you can probably finish book one in a weekend.

rotate.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    "All the way into the cave" meant the story up until that point. Katniss wasn't sure if the fact that he had a crush on her was a play on his part (plus him being nice to nearly everyone) or real.

sig.gif
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    making more out of the sponsors is one of the few things i would've done differently

it creates a really interesting tension between having to make coldhearted brutal murder decisions and having to seem kind and sentimental in order to play to the crowd

• FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    Hunger games phalla? Can I play?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Okay a few Q's

it was pretty obvious that he was helping them track her to

a) not get killed
    b) be close to the group looking for her so he could help her

since he, you know, instantly runs up to her after the wasp thing and tells her to run and get out of there, and after that doesn't help those dudes any more.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Does the book talk about how
    Peeta gets away from Cato with only a scratch? I haven't read the book but I know that Peeta loses his leg, but how does that shit go down exactly?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Okay a few Q's

it was pretty obvious that he was helping them track her to

a) not get killed
    b) be close to the group looking for her so he could help her

since he, you know, instantly runs up to her after the wasp thing and tells her to run and get out of there, and after that doesn't help those dudes any more.
    or he's just the kind of asshole who teams up with whoever looks the strongest at any given time

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I am going to see this within the next 3 days. I'm very excited. I read all 3 books in one weekend over Christmas, and I am HYPE HYPE HYPE.

Also Jennifer Lawrence is real pretty and it makes me feel kind of inferior as a person because she is so perfect. :(

scQuF.gif

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Peeta gets away from Cato with only a scratch? I haven't read the book but I know that Peeta loses his leg, but how does that shit go down exactly?
    It says Cato attacked him for helping Katniss, I think he got away because Cato was stung more by the Jackers than Peeta

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    haaha

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Wait, people are legitimately angry that Rue and Thresh were black?

[IMG][/img]
    If anything Rue wasn't black enough!

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Stupid racists were, yes

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    This is my first time hearing about this.

I cannot muster the energy to act surprised.

[IMG][/img]
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Holy shit

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Like, if you missed the line in the book that said she and the other kid from her district are black and were surprised that's fine, it means you missed a few words not that you're a stupid racist

but all the people who missed those lines and then were mad those characters were black because it ruined the emotional impact for them, they are stupid racists

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Like, if you missed the line in the book that said she and the other kid from her district are black and were surprised that's fine, it means you missed a few words not that you're a stupid racist

but all the people who missed those lines and then were mad those characters were black because it ruined the emotional impact for them, they are stupid racists

This is my argument. I admit to forgetting that I read she was dark-skinned, because that wasn't the part of her character that I cared the most about. But getting mad and feeling like you were tricked into caring about a person of color is pretty damn shitty.

oh my fucking god why do I read the D&D thread?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    you lost a bet?

I should never have gotten that haircut...

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    When I read the books, I thought Rue and Thresh were native Americans.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    alright I read the first one of these yesterday
    what the fuck, did everyone become dog-handed werewolves at the end

is that going to be addressed later or WHAT

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    It says Cato attacked him for helping Katniss, I think he got away because Cato was stung more by the Jackers than Peeta

In the book:
    Cato cuts his leg deep enough that he basically can't get anywhere so he's immobilized. Katniss is able to help him but she fears he's going to die of infection and fever. They get the healing salve and that removes the infection and fever but it doesn't instantly heal the sucker up.

So now he's able to walk but he still limps a bit and because of this fell behind when they're trying to climb the Cornucopia and escape the dogs. The dogs tear open his leg but Katniss can't do anything to help him until after Cato gets shot off the Cornucopia and torn apart by the dogs.

She manages to tie a tourniquet which saves his life, but she doesn't find out that he lost the leg until their final interview together.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »

they were made from cloned DNA of the dead contestants or something

PSN: ThatDaveFella

they were made from cloned DNA of the dead contestants or something

alright that works, I guess

got no interest in reading any more of these, just wanted to see what the lay of the land was

it's alright, nice to see a female protagonist in a kid's book with some agency and initiative

big, big step up from twilight

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Wait, people are legitimately angry that Rue and Thresh were black?

tumblr_m1fx7fnbNX1rqcceqo1_400.png

tumblr_m1f1nnLmht1rqcceqo1_400.png

tumblr_m1djfcX3VS1rqcceqo1_400.png

http://hungergamestweets.tumblr.com/

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    What's with that filter? Like is there any need for that sepia shit?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What's with that filter? Like is there any need for that sepia shit?

It highlights the idea that racism should be, and often is thought of as, a thing of the past. By applying the filter to the decidedly modern Twitter interface they have created an antique feel which jars the mind, forcing one to notice and think about what they are reading.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it almost looks to me like that tint is a result of the person taking a picture of their computer screen with their cell phone camera instead of just using a screenshot

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I should never have gotten that haircut...

Nice.

Anywho, yeah. I've banned myself from the D&D thread. Actually I've banned myself from any thread that contains Ross or Drez. I'm suddenly a much happier person.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

I just sorta

ignored that

I'm not sure what was going on there

that is to say I know what was going on there

but I don't know what was going on there

that happened a fair bit actually