As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

1939495969799»

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Sadness. Old-school Dragon Quest-style. I prefer character avatars in some form. Alas, I'll try it out. Nice character designs though.

What do you mean? In the screens we can see the character avatars at all times.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    So the game is registered to an account.. does that mean other accounts playing it on that console are okay, or does only the one account get full access? Because one of those is a dick move, the other makes that dick move look like the kind of stunt it pulled in college before graduating to the big leagues, setting up its own company, and reinventing the dick move to be the most popular consumer product of all time (voted #1 Dick Move in 2009, 2010 and 2012)
    Okay, I'll bite. What won Dick Move of 2011?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    When Sony removed it from the PS3, sales actually went up.
    Correlation <> Causation.

I'd say the price drop in general was far more important there. And the price dropped by way more than the component cost of a PS2.

Well, I didn't mean that lack of BC made the PS3 more popular. :P My point was that, yes, any small annoyance caused by the removal was more than outweighed by the drop in price, meaning it's a very small factor at best.

And if people weren't buying $5-off used games at Gamestop, they wouldn't be offering it or making money hand over fist. And they are.

I mean, I personally don't know anyone who listens to Justin Bieber, but here we are.

Untrue - I already demonstrated they could just as easily be making piles of money selling more volume of cheap titles for the same margins, which should be incredibly obvious.

Now Gamestop does pushed used versions of new games. Why not? They make a lot higher profit per copy that way then selling new. But I'm VERY skeptical they just sell tons of those $55 used titles in terms of volume. For one thing, if used inventory is piling up its almost surely a sign that demand for that game is not very high.

Well, there are always the outliers like FF13, where the initial demand was super high, but then a flood of used copies got brought back because for a lot of people it was a total let down.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Speaking of super niche games being localized, this has its own thread but I feel like it ought to be mentioned here as well,

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/27/class-of-heroes-2-picked-up-by-monkeypaw-needs-500000-for-deluxe-physical-release/
    MonkeyPaw and partner Gaijinworks are teaming up to localize a dropped JRPG series – Class of Heroes. Atlus brought the cutesy take on Wizardry overseas and now MonkeyPaw plans on localizing the 2009 PSP sequel Class of Heroes 2 and the 2010 PS3 port Class of Heroes 2G. Both games will get a digital release, but whether a deluxe bundle happens or not is in the hands of Kickstarter supporters.

Now, basically what's going on here is that the game will be localized regardless, but the Kickstarter is primarily to gauge interest in a Working Designs style deluxe physical bundle with all sorts of collectible macguffins, and a UMD copy of the game. No digital copy will come with this.

I just want to say that discounting the Mega Millions dude and his hypothetical MMO, this is probably the first of these copycat Kickstarter campaigns that really rubs me the wrong way. At every level it just feels amateurish.

Here is the Kickstarter page in question

RainbowDespair wrote up a pretty good article on the many failures of this project,

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RobertBoyd/20120328/167405/A_Kickstarter_Without_a_Cause__Class_of_Heroes_2.php

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I'd say the price drop in general was far more important there. And the price dropped by way more than the component cost of a PS2.

Well, I didn't mean that lack of BC made the PS3 more popular. :P My point was that, yes, any small annoyance caused by the removal was more than outweighed by the drop in price, meaning it's a very small factor at best.

And if people weren't buying $5-off used games at Gamestop, they wouldn't be offering it or making money hand over fist. And they are.

I mean, I personally don't know anyone who listens to Justin Bieber, but here we are.

Untrue - I already demonstrated they could just as easily be making piles of money selling more volume of cheap titles for the same margins, which should be incredibly obvious.

Now Gamestop does pushed used versions of new games. Why not? They make a lot higher profit per copy that way then selling new. But I'm VERY skeptical they just sell tons of those $55 used titles in terms of volume. For one thing, if used inventory is piling up its almost surely a sign that demand for that game is not very high.

Well, in their financial reports they say, time and time again, that used is gigantic business for them, and I serioudly doubt they'd be willing to sell used games at $5 off if it wasn't making any money for them. Surely they would have knocked the price down a bit if it wasn't the case. Besides, even with used games, newer games get more volume than the catalog games... that's why they have more of the new ones.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Besides, even with used games, newer games get more volume than the catalog games... that's why they have more of the new ones.
    Which puts a dent in the argument that used sales are why games don't have decent tails.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    By locking out used games, this stops anyone from being able to lend or borrow games too. It's going to be a huge deal, as this could kill companies like Gamefly. It could get pretty bad.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    So....maybe I just missed the headline, I know rumors have been swirling for a while the PS4/XBox720 would have a feature like this...but the discussion seems pretty hot and heavy, did something actually get announced?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    By locking out used games, this stops anyone from being able to lend or borrow games too. It's going to be a huge deal, as this could kill companies like Gamefly. It could get pretty bad.

They could work to create something like Netflix online videos, but I doubt companies would be willing to do that with their games.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    So....maybe I just missed the headline, I know rumors have been swirling for a while the PS4/XBox720 would have a feature like this...but the discussion seems pretty hot and heavy, did something actually get announced?

Nah, just the usual "industry insider" rumors that could be accurate, could be accurate to the extent that the companies are playing with crazy prototypes that will never see the light of day, or could be full of shit.

If something were actually announced on that front I'm betting this forum would explode.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Just rumors on Kotaku right now.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I know at my local gamestop, new titles get... 2 small shelves. A third of which is full of those empty 'Coming soon' boxes. Used games get 5 shelves. All games.

I know pretty much every person who walks up gets asked, 'WANT THIS USED INSTEAD? ITS CHEAPER AND HAS INSURANCE UNLIKE THESE NEW ONES.' Well, except me, because I know the guys and I'd tell em to go fuck themselves.
    I know that at my local gamestop, newer games got a single shipment and havent got a single one since, because they have used copies so who needs new ones?

Anecdotal, of course, but I somehow doubt these practices are super rare, and saying such practices wouldn't effect sales at all seems hopeful at best. I mean we all know gamestop changed their new and used stickers to look identical, sometimes mix them together on the same shelves (Even company memos stating this as a new practice.) and most probably not correcting people at all. (I highly doubt the cashier is going to go, 'Oh, did you want the new one instead?')

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    They aren't rare. It's actually company policy that GameStop employees are supposed to ask if you want a game used if there is used inventory in stock for a new game you are trying to pick up. Some GS employees ignore it unless their manager is around, but they are supposed to.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Well, there are always the outliers like FF13, where the initial demand was super high, but then a flood of used copies got brought back because for a lot of people it was a total let down.

Still though, just how many of those returned copies sold because people simply didn't hear anything about the game and said to themselves that saving $5-over-new was a wise investment of a game with large amounts of used copies available?

Still though, just how many of those returned copies sold because people simply didn't hear anything about the game and said to themselves that saving $5-over-new was a wise investment of a game with large amounts of used copies available?

Ohh, probably more than you might think. This is 100% anecdotal of course, but when I walk in to GameStop, rarely do see what I would call "educated gamers", e.g. what most of us on these forums are. It's kids with their parents, it's brodudes picking up the next halo, it's a guy with his girlfriend looking for "that cat game". There is a huge section of the gaming public that a) doesn't read reviews and b) thinks saving $5 bucks is totally worth it, because they don't know and don't care about the machine they are feeding.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Horrible horrible news, seems peoples orders of Dragon's Crown is being cancelled by Amazon.

In other words, the vast majority of game buyers ain't us.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Horrible horrible news, seems peoples orders of Dragon's Crown is being cancelled by Amazon.

Yeah, where will we get a game with horribly mutated tits now?

Magic Pink wrote: »

In video games?

Probably never!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

In video games?

Probably never!

D:

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sadness. Old-school Dragon Quest-style. I prefer character avatars in some form. Alas, I'll try it out. Nice character designs though.

What do you mean? In the screens we can see the character avatars at all times.

By that I mean I prefer seeing tiny dudes on-screen fighting directly with the monsters. DQ/Wizardry-style has never been my preference.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    ...Dragon's Crown? Huh, never heard of that. Let's Google it and see why people are freaked out by the ar OH DEAR CHRIST
    dragons_crown_amazon_01.jpg

dragons_crown_sorcerer_01.jpg

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Man, Sine Mora looks like ten shades of sublime. I hope it does as well as it looks. Can't have enough Shmups.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    They aren't rare. It's actually company policy that GameStop employees are supposed to ask if you want a game used if there is used inventory in stock for a new game you are trying to pick up. Some GS employees ignore it unless their manager is around, but they are supposed to.
    Which, again, tells us a total of NOTHING about the distribution of their 'Used Sales' profits in terms of volume in week old, month old, quarter old, and older titles.

Personally, I think a lot of the 'short tail' effect comes from everyone who values a given title at <$60 just vanishing into this data aggregation.

I...uhh...wow. I was trying to eat, then I opened those spoilers. Thanks cloudeagle.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ...Dragon's Crown? Huh, never heard of that. Let's Google it and see why people are freaked out by the ar OH DEAR CHRIST
    dragons_crown_amazon_01.jpg

dragons_crown_sorcerer_01.jpg

To be fair, the male characters are also horrible mutants.

1806471-dragonscrownart05_super.jpg

Taramoor on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Ridiculous artwork aside, it sounded like Dragon's Crown was going to be an interesting game. Wonder what's up.

SHE IS SHOVING THAT STAFF UP HER BUTTCRACK

Are you trying to say artwork in a video game is somehow suggestive.....out of all the crazy things I ever heard.....

And you know there's preview vids of the game too.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Also, the Elf art is pretty damned awesome in my opinion.
    Dragon-s-Crown-dragons-crown-22778778-720-800.jpg

Are you trying to say artwork in a video game is somehow suggestive.....out of all the crazy things I ever heard.....

Oh, for sure. But generally you don't see stuff that unabashedly looks like it belongs on a fetish site.

I think it's time to cleanse our eyes with a new thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/157942/video-game-industry-thread-yet-more-crazy-ass-rumors-about-the-next-gen

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    You know what's funny about Dragon's Crown? It's not even out yet, and it's already getting picked up by adult comic artists.

Don't ask me how I know that.

It looked like a pretty zany beat 'em up with some neat online co-op mechanics, but it seems odd that Amazon would de-list the game just like that.

I mean, last I heard the project had hit some snags and would take a bit more time, but could this mean that it's canceled altogether? It could be as simple as Amazon jumping the gun for all I know, this is some funky shit.

Also that skeleton looks really happy.
    BONE-R

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    You know what's funny about Dragon's Crown? It's not even out yet, and it's already getting picked up by adult comic artists.

Don't ask me how I know that.

I'll admit to having come across that comic...and what's worse is that it's like 8 months old.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Skullgiiiiiiirrrrrls!

But seriously, Skullgirls looks to be of higher quality than the travesty that is MvC3.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    whoops. going to new thread.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • mengesmenges Registered User new member
    I recently got into playing 3D games when I got my LG LM6700 and I must say even Im starting to jump on the bandwagon. I didn't have enough money left to get 3D game titles but this TV has a good 2D to 3D conversion feature that worked crazy good on all my games. Playing RPG's in 3D in insane!!!

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.