As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] Pyromania Update Day 3! MEET THE PYRO RELEASED! Do you believe in magic?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    puzzle maker?

not familiar with that either

It's basically a thing they're making for Portal 2 so people can make new test chambers for it without having to deal with the shittiness that is Hammer.

See: This blog post.

ah! i remembered what it looked like, not what it was called

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    which is more soon, blizzard soon or valve soon

because meet the pyro is the meet the i want to meet the most

huddah

815165 on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    wtb mans in server

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So I can craft either a Pomson or a Widowmaker for my Engineer. Any ideas on which to go for?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    korodullin wrote: »
    So I can craft either a Pomson or a Widowmaker for my Engineer. Any ideas on which to go for?

They're both good. The Widowmaker's good if you're a good shot with a shotgun, the Pomsom's great for dealing damage to groups since it penetrates.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I use the Pomson with a Level 3 sentry to kill off spies trying to sap it while on defense.
    I use the Widowmaker with my Gunslinger while im attacking.

It's all situational.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited March 2012
    I do both of those things a lot! Though I'm not the best of shots with a shotgun. I'll probably end up flipping a damn coin.

Heads: Widowmaker it is.

Oh hey, I also have the tools to make a Pomson as well. Win/win!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    Update:
    An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
    Added daily periodic reward hats for duel wins, map stamp purchases, and gifts given
    Updated YouTube replay publishing functionality to automatically include a link to the uploader's Steam Community profile
    Did not update the localization files that did not need updating
    Updated cp_gullywash_final1
    Removed ladders that looked like they could be climbed
    Note missed from last week's update:
    Updated the in-game tips with community submitted versions

And Blog Post:
    You Are Quite Welcome
    March 27, 2012 - The Administrator

one-of-a-kind-hats_small.jpg

Despite my continued efforts to better you by yelling at you through a microphone to do better, it is often difficult -- and thus disheartening -- to figure out if any of you damp piles of mulch are actually improving.

I found the answer, in all places, in one of the insipid gun-themed women's magazines Miss Pauling leaves lying around, where I stumbled on an article about self-improvement. It was a revelation: Instead of screaming at you to improve, I could scream at you while you improved yourselves.

I immediately telephoned Mann Co. and demanded to speak to Mister Reddy. Then that lummox Saxton Hale intercepted the call. I tried to explain my idea as patiently as possible, telling him about self-improvement. ("If they're like me, Helen, they're already perfect. And if you take something perfect and make it more than perfect, you get, hell, probably a wormhole or something. Damned scientists. No, I don't like it.") I explained the possibility of mercenaries tracking their own statistics. ("If they're like me, they win 100% of their battles in the best way possible. If they need to remember that, they can write it on their hands like I do.") Several minutes of this and many clumsy pick-up lines later (something about steak dinners), I lost my patience entirely and told him to put his assistant Reddy on the damn phone, and between us we hashed out a plan.

Interested in self-improvement, mercenaries? Of course you are. Read on.

The Per Diem Perk

Mister Reddy has prepared three absolutely unique one-of-a-kind hats that will rotate through the mercenary community every day. Who will get them? The three mercs who give the most gifts, win the most duels, and purchase the most map stamps on a given day. Presumably wearing these one-of-a-kind hats will make the winners feel like they've achieved something. Or not, I could give a damn. So long as they make you all better killing machines.

Strange Parts

Only found in crates, Strange Parts will help you study specific aspects of (what I charitably call) your performance in battle by letting you customize your favorite Strange weapon. Now you're free to track the number of enemies you gib, projectiles you reflect, heads you've shot, and more. It is Mister Reddy's hope that you will be able to track your performance and celebrate improvements while isolating weaknesses. It is my hope that when you're confronted with the abysmally small numbers you wastes of space are doubtlessly achieving, you'll stop goldbricking around and do something.

Also, Mister Reddy asked me to remind you that Strange Parts are still a work in progress. So of the mood takes you, visit the TF2 forum and let him know what you're interested in tracking. I’m sure he'll do his utmost to accommodate you. Moreso than I would if you came to me with your problems, at any rate, unless your problem is that you love shallow graves and hate breathing.

There. Enough motivation. Now. IMPROVE or I'll DESTROY YOU.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I use the Pomson with a Level 3 sentry to kill off spies trying to sap it while on defense.
    I use the Widowmaker with my Gunslinger while im attacking.
    I normally use the shotgun or Widowmaker with a level 3. Shooting spies in the face before or immediately after they sap your shit. The Widowmaker also has the advantage of not needing to reload after shooting people in the face.

I use the Pomson/Pistol/Gunslinger on offense (especially on payload maps). Lots of straight corridors, people bunched up so you usually hit more than one target (especially those medics), when you're at a choke point and it isn't safe to stay on the cart (heavies/explosive spam) you can still help deal decent damage and sap uber.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited March 2012
    All those hats....which require A LOT money....hmmmm.

Riokenn on
    Yeeaah supporting mappers more, good work Valve.

But most people aren't doing it to support the maps, they're going to do it to get a hat. But hey as long as that money goes somewhere useful.

edited March 2012
    Riokenn wrote: »
    But most people aren't doing it to support the maps, they're going to do it to get a hat. But hey as long as that money goes somewhere useful.

So people just need to avoid the trap that is buying Hoodoo stamps.

HIY-O

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    If anything I can't wait to receive some free gifts from the people buying a bundle or two just for a shot at that hat everyday.

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Kaffa gave me a gift the other week. It was very nice of him!

• ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Kaffa gave me a gift the other week. It was very nice of him!
    Kaff is one of, if not the, most generous PAers as far as gift-giving goes. <3

Please, call me ebo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bOpOLmB2z4

This video deserves more views.

It makes me want to make one like it.

• Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    I kind of want to hate that video for doing the "backwards slow-mo with relaxing music" thing, but it just looks too nice. And I agree it should get more views, considering what most tf2 videos are like.

• xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    I did a TF2 youtube search about half an hour ago, just for videos uploaded today. I got through about five pages of steaming shit before giving up trying to find something entertaining.

Point being, a Radiohead music video is pretty much the cream of the crop these days.

edited March 2012
    I dug through my old favorite'd videos to find that one.

Yeah there are some terrible TF2 videos out there.

I like this one, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OsF0O5vd1s

UEAKCrash on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    That video sums up TF2 nicely.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That first video really wasn't doing it for me.

Then Barbara Streisand kicked in.

Also, my quest for earbuds is finally over. Snagged some keys off the outpost and it pushed me just over the credits I needed on the WH to buy them.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    My earbuds were acquired "legit" and have the best name ever:

http://www.tf2items.com/item/764774480

Drumroll...

Now presenting for your consumption...

Stoneyridge_B8
    (decompress into your tf/maps folder)

Tons of changes on this version. Oh hey, an actual changelog:
    Hey You changes:
    -moved stairs in overlook by A
    -removed stairs by building by ridge, opened up building
    -updated various details
    -added small cuppy room on downstairs passage from A to B
    -updated various overlays
    -changed various textures
    -made small changes to the skybox
    -fixed various props disappearing
    -further optimization
    -extended blue attack ledge facing A
    -moved/changed various props
    -updated ledge behind B
    -updated detailing to ledge facing B used by Blue attackers
    -replaced props by ledge by cellar door ramp

Xzzy changes:
    -Increased over-all ambient lighting.
    -Tweaked a ton lighting, brightened up some areas, added some spotlights to key areas.
    -Went through and deleted/ changed a large amount of props to help optimization.
    -Added "skybox windows" ala Viaduct to clean up look of map.
    -Optimized hint brushes.
    -Cleaned up areaportals/ added a bunch of areaportalwindows.
    -Tweaked some clipping.

Crash Changes:
    -Added large detail area and cubby in building by ridge to open it up more.
    -Added an easter egg.
    -Added ramp coming down from ridge building dropdown to reduce chance of fall damage.
    -Fixed rockets and projectiles going through the floor on the final point, also smoothed the floor out more there.
    -Optimization tweaks
    -Tons of brush optimization all over the map.
    -Cleaned up some more clipping issues. (Including 2 game breakers no one noticed, heh)
    -Added a nobuild to the tracks in the death pit. Before, you could get engineer buildings down there if you timed it right as you fell.
    -Removed the clipping that made the edge of the death pit and the balcony area divided. (this is a fun change)
    -Tons of prop fades.
    -Cleaned up jagged detail bricks at final point area.
    -Added "signature" poster.
    -Improved the flow of the tire jump on the left side of the B cap tower.
    -Added custom safe-door model.
    -Detailed overhang towards B alongside Hey You

Let us know what you think, we worked really really hard updating to this version. Probably one of the biggest jumps we've made in awhile.

(Fun fact: Internally we change the previous version by adding a letter every time we pass it to one-another. We made it up to stoneyridge_b7o since the last release)

Of course, within 2 minutes of Hey You sending me the bsp and running around, I found a giant black hole that I need to fix. Hope no spies find it or they'll be able to decloak without risk!

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    -Added "signature" poster

for me to poop on

edited March 2012
    xzzy wrote: »
    Of course, within 2 minutes of Hey You sending me the bsp and running around, I found a giant black hole that I need to fix. Hope no spies find it or they'll be able to decloak without risk!

Weeeak.

Hey you said he fixed one or two of those before he compiled, too.

Off your game, xzzy. For shame.

edit: But seriously, I like what you've done so far.

UEAKCrash on
    Hrm, I still have Stonyridges b1, 2, 4, 5, and 7. I should run through them a little and see what's changed some time, since I have a horrible eye for such things otherwise.

ZvOMJnu.png
    That will probably blow your mind. Especially if you compare the latest.

xzzy wrote: »
    My earbuds were acquired "legit" and have the best name ever:

http://www.tf2items.com/item/764774480

Well, having never owned a Mac, it's not like I even had a chance to acquire them legitly... but I've gotta say, those are some finely named earbuds.

I've been thinking of adding text to my Strange Festive Medigun, something to the effect of "Spamming E in the hopes that I'll follow you around as your own personal pocket medic actually reduces the likelihood of me bothering to heal or save you."

Because that's one of my pet peeves. Especially when I'm in a cluster of a half dozen team members who are all taking damage, and the moment I start to heal up or overheal some people for a push, there's generally one asshole who will hit that key like it's their lifeline despite being fully healed while like two guys are burning to death in front of his very eyes. Sorry buddy, your puffed up sense of worth and entitlement doesn't mean I'm going to ignore people on fire just so you never dip below full overhealing.

I typically wear them when running around with the quick-fix, which the entire TF2 wannabe pro universe hates, but I have more fun using it than any other medigun.

Not like healing matters on pub servers, no one knows how to benefit from ubers or overhealing anyway.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Forar, that's like the exact opposite of what I usually experience on pubs. I'm used to spamming E while on low health and seeing the medic just keep on pocketing the full health heavy.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I need to get a strange degreaser and name it SirRoasty like so many people have suggested.

edited March 2012
    Peewi wrote: »
    Forar, that's like the exact opposite of what I usually experience on pubs. I'm used to spamming E while on low health and seeing the medic just keep on pocketing the full health heavy.

I'm sure there are lots of bad medics out there. Hell, I'm probably one of them. But my days as a WoW player (part time dps, tank and healer, truly I was a renaissance nerd) have left me with the strong belief that the 'bars need to go in the right direction', as it's been put in the MMO subforum. So unless my target is actively under fire or in danger of dying without my attention, I try to save those I can, top up anyone who is low, and spread around some preventative overhealing to shield those around me from at least an initial assault.

So when we start a match and like 4 guys are wailing on E for no god damned reason other than the belief that they are all so good that I should cram myself right up their asshole, gets to me a little. And when I do pocket heal someone a bit, if I switch off to save the guy who is on fire or to top off a guy sitting at 20 health and the first guy starts wailing on E again, I just want to strangle him with his own entrails.

I'll admit some bias. I'll admit that I'll keep an eye on who completes objectives and who is topping the scoreboard, and if I find one of those guys I will ride them to points and success tag along and make their life easier, but in pubs there are plenty of people who seem to think they are the king shit, and as such deserve all the healing, all the time, no it doesn't matter that they're fully overhealed. >.<

Not that I've ever encountered this during my brief forays of Honc'ing.

Just sayin'.

Like, I know that there's nothing surprising that there are self important assholes in TF2. The sun rises, the tides ebb and flow, etc, just a pet peeve.

Forar on
    People are so bad about mashing E I completely tune it out.. I genuinely don't hear people calling for medic. I only look at the floating bubbles when I've got no teammates nearby and want to find someone that's hurt. Usually I'm constantly flicking my crosshairs over teammates to see who's hurt.

Other than that, I just ignore people and do what I think is most reasonable.. which is generally give the most healing to whoever's in the front and change targets every couple seconds to make sure the whole team is getting some healing. People standing behind the action reloading their gun get dead last priority, that's what medkits and engineers are for.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Do replays work when using the randomizer mod?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Of course you probably won't be able to see anything but everyone in the civ pose.

This discussion has been closed.