Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

13468999

Posts

  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Now that they can buy and place wards, they are better teammates than 75% the actual people you find out there.

    steam_sig.png
  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Update is out today, a day early.

    Test client updated a day early.

    Clearly something is wrong with the universe.

    the thing that is wrong with the universe is that they are skipping next week!!!

    what am i paying them for!!!!!

    19ZUtIw.png
  • TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    Exactly! The last time we got a hero early we didn't get another for three weeks.

  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    i want them to do a TRIPLE ANNOYANCE RELEASE:

    PHANTOM LANCER

    MEEPO

    TEEEEEECHIIIIIIIIES

    19ZUtIw.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    i want them to do a TRIPLE ANNOYANCE RELEASE:

    PHANTOM LANCER

    MEEPO

    TEEEEEECHIIIIIIIIES

    i'd kill myself

  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    More like techies, pa, phoenix.

    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    is phoenix that annoying? phoenix looks like he owns

    i hope when he gets remade he keeps his laser

    i want to laser things

    19ZUtIw.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    I really like Lone Druid. I rebound F2 to "select other units" so I don't have to put the bear in a control group every time I spawn him. And my (limited) Starcraft 2 experience is coming in handy with the multitasking.

  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    i am loving tilde as select all other units, so i can quickly control nonhero units

    19ZUtIw.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The first time phoenix dives your whole team then immediately ults you will know. And fire spirits are pretty annoying to lane against.

    His lazor was only really bad when it had a slow. Now it's just pretty cool.

    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Maan i've been offered a dota 2 key for my league of legends account. I loved original dota I just don't know if early access is worth an account I dropped roughly 60-80 dollars on in the past. I know I'll never get that kind of return on it so it's really a matter of if I'm willing to start over in LoL again.

  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    nealcm wrote: »
    i am loving tilde as select all other units, so i can quickly control nonhero units

    but then how do you use the console

    i mean

    not having the console bound to tilde in a source game is like not breathing

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I want Abaddon.

    He was the only hero in old dota I could play competitively to any extent.

  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    Senshi wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    i am loving tilde as select all other units, so i can quickly control nonhero units

    but then how do you use the console

    i mean

    not having the console bound to tilde in a source game is like not breathing

    i did have trouble for a while because binding things to console has really weird effects like you can be in the chatbox and hit that key and it still works, simultaneously typing that key into the chatbox and in the console and now you have to hit the key again to close the console n shit

    but i just put it on F11 instead

    19ZUtIw.png
  • nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    Maan i've been offered a dota 2 key for my league of legends account. I loved original dota I just don't know if early access is worth an account I dropped roughly 60-80 dollars on in the past. I know I'll never get that kind of return on it so it's really a matter of if I'm willing to start over in LoL again.

    that's not worth it, just fill out the Dota 2 survey and i'm sure you'll get in eventually. there's no reason to do that at all if you plan on still playing league! i still do sometimes even though i've basically moved to dota.

    i have friends who filled out the survey and got into the beta maybe 2 weeks later. they've been sending out lots of waves lately

    19ZUtIw.png
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    I play HoN once in a while because I have a particularly stubborn friend who refuses to believe that Dota 2 will ever take off

    every time I do I die a little inside

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    Senshi wrote: »
    I play HoN once in a while because I have a particularly stubborn friend who refuses to believe that Dota 2 will ever take off

    every time I do I die a little inside

    Friends don't let friends play HoN.

  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    Senshi wrote: »
    I play HoN once in a while because I have a particularly stubborn friend who refuses to believe that Dota 2 will ever take off

    every time I do I die a little inside

    Friends don't let friends play HoN.

    Hey man, casual mode is heaps fun! No gold loss on death makes for hilariously fun games. I frequently carry with the CM equivalent in that game :D.

    Might try playing Earthshaker with trackpad after I'm finished studying, should be fun :D

    hadoken on
  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Lack of a rune icon on the minimap when your team has vision of it is probably the best example. It's sort of a no-brainer feature that's conspicuously absent. Again I hope it's because they haven't gotten around to it but my fear is that they really do buy into the idea that adding it would "dumb down the game" or "clutter the minimap" or some other ridiculous rationalization for leaving it the way it is.

    Thats it?

    It's a team game that requires team work... you go to check the rune and push mic button + "invis rune at bottom" or "regen rune at top".

    Or if someone pings there, you click your minimap there to check... takes like a split second.

    Adding a feature that puts a icon there only causes people to work as a team less... just like if the minimap had face icons of the enemy, this causes teams to have to function less as a team since less communication is needed.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Lack of a rune icon on the minimap when your team has vision of it is probably the best example. It's sort of a no-brainer feature that's conspicuously absent. Again I hope it's because they haven't gotten around to it but my fear is that they really do buy into the idea that adding it would "dumb down the game" or "clutter the minimap" or some other ridiculous rationalization for leaving it the way it is.

    Thats it?

    It's a team game that requires team work... you go to check the rune and push mic button + "invis rune at bottom" or "regen rune at top".

    Or if someone pings there, you click your minimap there to check... takes like a split second.

    Adding a feature that puts a icon there only causes people to work as a team less... just like if the minimap had face icons of the enemy, this causes teams to have to function less as a team since less communication is needed.

    It actually does do that if you hold Alt now.

  • Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    This game is awesome because when Riki picks up an invis rune he sounds just a little bit surprised. It's the little things really.

    steam_sig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    I really like Lone Druid. I rebound F2 to "select other units" so I don't have to put the bear in a control group every time I spawn him. And my (limited) Starcraft 2 experience is coming in handy with the multitasking.

    You don't have to rebind him anyway. If you put the bear (or any summoned unit) on a traditional control group and the bear then dies and is resummoned, the control group sticks.

  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who binds items to 1-6?

    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who binds items to 1-6?

    I did when I first started and then eventually realized that control groups were too important. Now my items are C, X, G, Space (magic stick), Mouse 4 (Blink dagger, force staff, etc), Mouse 5 (TP scroll). It took some getting used to but once you try to play characters like Beastmaster, Chen, Enchantress, Sillybear, you need control groups, period.

    I tried to get by with just select self, select others, and select all but that isn't sufficient. For example, you don't want to send your bird in with your boar on Beastmaster. Good luck with that without control groups.

    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: PUBG, Mechwarrior Online, Drums
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm still in love with my items being a,s,d,z,x,c with stop on f and attack on v. But I also play with Grid in SC2, so it's established that I'm a brigand and a scoundrel.

    drowning in the ever heaving waters of mother Earth's salty tiddy.
  • PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm still in love with my items being a,s,d,z,x,c with stop on f and attack on v. But I also play with Grid in SC2, so it's established that I'm a brigand and a scoundrel.

    What do you do with Invoker or someone else that uses D and/or and F? Just curious. I'd love to use those keys more often.

    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: PUBG, Mechwarrior Online, Drums
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    That would imply I play something that is not Dark Seer, Pugna, or Batrider.

    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm still in love with my items being a,s,d,z,x,c with stop on f and attack on v. But I also play with Grid in SC2, so it's established that I'm a brigand and a scoundrel.

    What do you do with Invoker or someone else that uses D and/or and F? Just curious. I'd love to use those keys more often.

    My skills are on q,w,e,r for 1-3 and ult, and then 4 and 5 go on t and y. Numbers are control groups, space to center on hero.

    Edit: I also have gigantic hands such that I can hit q and p at the same time using my pinky and index finger , so none of this is causing me to reach/move my hand. Your mileage may vary.

    3clipse on
    drowning in the ever heaving waters of mother Earth's salty tiddy.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    Senshi wrote: »
    I play HoN once in a while because I have a particularly stubborn friend who refuses to believe that Dota 2 will ever take off

    every time I do I die a little inside

    Friends don't let friends play HoN.

    boo this man! I just went back to HoN last night. It's still a fun game, and obviously being a retail game its got a lot more polish (and the menus are better). It's amazing how quickly I acclimatized to Dota2 graphics though. I originally preferred HoN's graphics by far, now it just looks weird compared to Dota2.

    I think dota2 probably has the better hero design. I prefer being able to play leoric and enchantress to HoN only heroes like electrician or maliken. That said, I will miss a lot of the HoN heroes: myrmidon, arachna, monarch, forsaken archer, engineer etc. there are actually a lot of pretty good ones. I won't miss scout though, fuck that guy forever.

    for dota2 item hotkeys I use hon defaults: alt+q alt+w alt+e then alt+a alt+s alt+d for my second row. works pretty well for me *shrug*

    valiance on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Lack of a rune icon on the minimap when your team has vision of it is probably the best example. It's sort of a no-brainer feature that's conspicuously absent. Again I hope it's because they haven't gotten around to it but my fear is that they really do buy into the idea that adding it would "dumb down the game" or "clutter the minimap" or some other ridiculous rationalization for leaving it the way it is.

    Thats it?

    It's a team game that requires team work... you go to check the rune and push mic button + "invis rune at bottom" or "regen rune at top".

    Or if someone pings there, you click your minimap there to check... takes like a split second.

    Adding a feature that puts a icon there only causes people to work as a team less... just like if the minimap had face icons of the enemy, this causes teams to have to function less as a team since less communication is needed.

    So, if encouraging communication is so important, why are runes the only map element missing from the minimap? Wouldn't removing more things make the game more teamwork-oriented? Or perhaps you just special crafted this explanation to fit to how the game already works. What are the chances that you'd be clamoring to remove the icon if it were present from the very start? Zero.

    Also I am tired of people saying "but it doesn't take long to do." I'm not saying that the issue makes the game unplayable. I'm saying that it's a bad design decision. The history of software is filled with a million improvements that aren't such a big deal, that all add up.

    And not sure what you're talking about with the face icons thing. The game already shows you colors, which you can associate with different enemy heroes. If all heroes were faces, you wouldn't be able to easily distinguish between friendly heroes and enemy heroes. But if there were a way to more clearly indicate which enemy you're seeing on the minimap I'd be fine with it.

    That's because it's what the minimap is there for. It's got a pretty clear purpose. Show a smaller version of the entire game map. Put icons on the map to depict towers, buildings, heroes, creeps, couriers, wards, summons and terrain. Do shading differently to show where you have vision. If you don't buy into the idea that learning about the map at a glance is better than moving your viewport/talking with your team, then you should have major issues with the minimap icons existing at all.

    Pre-emptive comment to people bitching about my posts: No, I will not stop trashing bad game design.

    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I really wished you would stop adding qualifiers to make your opinions seem like some objective truth. Screaming "bad design decision" decision isn't making your opinion into anything but your opinion no matter how many times you do it. It just makes you look like a goose.

    But its not like you are ever going to let this one go, if history is any judge.

  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    So, if encouraging communication is so important, why are runes the only map element missing from the minimap? Wouldn't removing more things make the game more teamwork-oriented? Or perhaps you just special crafted this explanation to fit to how the game already works. What are the chances that you'd be clamoring to remove the icon if it were present from the very start? Zero.
    If rune markers were already there, I probably wouldn't think of the extra strategy it adds to the game since they aren't there. But the thing is, they aren't there and it does cause someone to realize its just more depth to what you can do to have an advantage over the other team. You know people put wards at the rune spots anyway...

    Another advantage of not having it marked on the minimap is to use it as bait. If a team isn't working as a team, then other people will go to check it and a good setup will lead to an easy kill when a solo player goes to check it. Again, more reason why its all about team work.

    You're making a huge deal out of such a tiny thing... chances are they might add the icon anyway. I'm just pointing out how its really not an issue if you play the game as a team.
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Pre-emptive comment to people bitching about my posts: No, I will not stop trashing bad game design.
    You really haven't pointed out any bad game design, so I don't see how anyone would bitch. You've just pointed out some of the depth in the game.

    I forgot about the face thing, if you hold ALT you see them like someone mentioned. Look at LoL if you want to see how that would work where you can tell between the teams... red/green outline of the faces.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I use the phrase "bad design decision" when describing what my argument is. I have already laid out valid points to support it. I do not apologize for using accurate terms.

    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    this is still such a tiny thing

    i entirely expect them to add minimap runes at some point

    and i still entirely expect it to be just as inconsequential as it is right now

  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I use the phrase "bad design decision" when describing what my argument is. I have already laid out valid points to support it. I do not apologize for using accurate terms.

    Your point is that they should remove some of the strategy to the game, which is indeed a "design decision" but your opinion is the "bad" part.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I use the phrase "bad design decision" when describing what my argument is. I have already laid out valid points to support it. I do not apologize for using accurate terms.

    You have not done this once. Every time you posted about this "bad design decision" has been your entire argument. What you really should say is "I don't like it the way it is" which is fine but I guess that doesn't allow you to feel so righteous when someone disagrees.

  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sparvy wrote: »
    I really wished you would stop adding qualifiers to make your opinions seem like some objective truth. Screaming "bad design decision" decision isn't making your opinion into anything but your opinion no matter how many times you do it. It just makes you look like a goose.

    But its not like you are ever going to let this one go, if history is any judge.

    You still fail to address his point. Why are they the only map objective not marked? And the "adds strategy" argument doesn't hold much water because arguably you still have to indentify the rune out of the fog and go get it.

    Dark_Side on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    I really wished you would stop adding qualifiers to make your opinions seem like some objective truth. Screaming "bad design decision" decision isn't making your opinion into anything but your opinion no matter how many times you do it. It just makes you look like a goose.

    But its not like you are ever going to let this one go, if history is any judge.

    You still fail to address his point. Why are they the only map objective not marked? And the "adds strategy" argument doesn't hold much water because arguably you still have to indentify the rune out of the fog and go get it.

    I have not addressed his point because he has not made a point.

    But the simple answer is why add unnecessary and inconsequential bloat that clutter up the mini map? I don't really care if they do to be honest, it won't be a major detriment to the mini map or indeed the game. But I do find the constant repetition of the phrase "bad game design" about matters such as these incredibly annoying and dishonest.

    "Outdated mechanics" is another one of those brain dead phrases used by people that can't come up with a reason for their opinions and instead try to use qualifiers that makes their opinion sound like some objective truth that can be measured.

    Sparvy on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    I really wished you would stop adding qualifiers to make your opinions seem like some objective truth. Screaming "bad design decision" decision isn't making your opinion into anything but your opinion no matter how many times you do it. It just makes you look like a goose.

    But its not like you are ever going to let this one go, if history is any judge.

    You still fail to address his point. Why are they the only map objective not marked? And the "adds strategy" argument doesn't hold much water because arguably you still have to indentify the rune out of the fog and go get it.

    I have not addressed his point because he has not made a point.

    But the simple answer is why add unnecessary and inconsequential bloat that clutter up the mini map? I don't really care if they do to be honest, it won't be a major detriment to the mini map or indeed the game. But I do find the constant repetition of the phrase "bad game design" about matters such as these incredibly annoying and dishonest.

    "Outdated mechanics" is another one of those brain dead phrases used by people that can't come up with a reason for their opinions and instead try to use qualifiers that makes their opinion sound like some objective truth that can be measured.

    I'd argue that not identifying the runes on the map is an outdated mechanic, or more accurately just a bad one. It strikes me as difficulty for the sake of difficulty instead of prioritizing efficient and fast map information for the entire team. And as I've said before, difficulty does not necessarily equal strategy. In end I don't really care either though, as I've learned to work within the framework of the game and moved on. Nothing wrong with pointing out how things could be better though.

    Edit: Actually, as I think about it more, I'm not sure there's a clean way to show what type of rune it is, which leaves you to just seeing a map marker that a rune is there, which really does very little. So I retract my previous statement, as you're right, it would be a lot of clutter for little utility.

    Dark_Side on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    i didn't realize runes not appearing was such a big deal, i always just check the river every 2 mins =X

    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
13468999
Sign In or Register to comment.