As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    Here is my costume. I should have gone with a lighter pink but, there really wasn't anything I could do about it once I got started. Oh well. It's my first time doing this so I'm not too worried about it. My husband's hoodie will look better.
    download.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
  • InnocentBystanderInnocentBystander Registered User new member
    These costumes are all so freaking amazing! Very impressive! I wish I was crafty enough to be able to put something together. I'm usually lucky if I'm wearing two socks that are the same color :) This is my first PAX East so I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and inspiration from all you amazing people!

www.mindofthegeek.com
  • ashanyaoashanyao ASHANYAO EAST COASTRegistered User new member
    So I failed to plan and planned to fail this year with my first PAX. Totally wanted to rock American McGee's Alice old school style or even the Siren costume but that went belly up. Thus, I'll probably be running around as Nakano Azusa from K-ON! on Sunday and just go between Anime Boston & PAX in the same gear.

• CyantCyant Registered User regular
    Me and my friend costume are almost complete now, I won't post pictures yet to not spoil them but we are really happy with them. Just missing one piece but ordered it, hopefully it get to my Kinek point before I cross the border. We are crossing on the 5th and they say shipping will get there between the 3rd and the 6th...

• LadySnip3rLadySnip3r Registered User regular
    My Aela the Huntress (Skyrim) costume is complete! Here's a sneak peak of the costume:
    img1586a.jpg
    img1498u.jpg
    I'll be going with a Nightingale (Skyrim) on Friday, so be sure to look for us!

My Gears of War armor is also coming along, getting down to the wire with PAX only two weeks away. I'll post some pictures once it's finished!

LadySnip3r

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Looking good, LadySniper. You actually bear some resemblance to the character you are doing, which is a plus.

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Finally got around to finishing my Commissar outfit today:
    commissar1.jpg
    yes, that's a nerf gun. the guts are removed though, so it can't fire. My understanding is that's ok?

Oh, actually that's not okay. =/ No nerf guns whatsoever. Otherwise your costume looks fantastic!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    commissar1.jpg
    yes, that's a nerf gun. the guts are removed though, so it can't fire. My understanding is that's ok?

Oh, actually that's not okay. =/ No nerf guns whatsoever. Otherwise your costume looks fantastic!

@RainbowTunnel you're incorrect. Deactivated nerf guns are fine, if you can prove the deactivation. It's been specifically OK'd by @Tango, he just mentioned that you may be asked to show that it's deactivated.. The "no of this whatsoever" is airsoft.

zerzhul on
  • LadySnip3rLadySnip3r Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »
    Looking good, LadySniper. You actually bear some resemblance to the character you are doing, which is a plus.

Thanks! I'm hoping it will be recognizable :)

LadySnip3r

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just a question: I'm thinking about buying an old flashlight as a prop. It's one of those old-school Fulton ones. Is it considered a weapon?

At any rate, my fedora has yet to arrive.

XX55XX on
  • vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    Peeta from Hunger Games (it's not gaming, but whatever) on Friday, The Protagonist from Saint's Row The Third on Saturday.

• girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »
    Peeta from Hunger Games (it's not gaming, but whatever) on Friday, The Protagonist from Saint's Row The Third on Saturday.

I'm going to want to find you on Friday.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • Nicole452Nicole452 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    LadySnip3r wrote: »
    My Aela the Huntress (Skyrim) costume is complete! Here's a sneak peak of the costume:
    img1586a.jpg
    img1498u.jpg
    I'll be going with a Nightingale (Skyrim) on Friday, so be sure to look for us!

My Gears of War armor is also coming along, getting down to the wire with PAX only two weeks away. I'll post some pictures once it's finished!

This looks great! I'm really excited about all the Skyrim cosplay.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    XX55XX wrote: »
    Just a question: I'm thinking about buying an old flashlight as a prop. It's one of those old-school Fulton ones. Is it considered a weapon?

At any rate, my fedora has yet to arrive.

It's probably fine. You could PM @Tango to find out for sure.

• TangoTango Registered User regular
    @Thin Red Paste - your de-ac Nerf is fine, just be aware it might get checked a few times a day! (But that just lets you show it off, right?)

@XX55XX - Observe the weapons policy. Pay attention to the one about bludgeoning. If it's a big, heavy "giant D-cell Maglite" type that has a secondary use as an impact weapon, it's not okay. Otherwise, it should be fine. :)

As I said, can't wait to see all these costumes!

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    If anyone is going to East as Carl Brutanunanulewski, make sure to remind anyone with Patriots gear on that the Giants won! The Giants won! The Giants won!

Joking aside, the best piece of advice I ever got for cosplay is: Your costume should match your physique. Being fat and willing to part with my hair, I've been Carl at Prime for the last two years. I can't make it to East, but I'll leave some character-specific wisdom here: Bring a pair of real shoes in addition to the flip flops; you'll want something comfortable when you're not in costume. Also, you'll want to stretch your calf muscles real well before walking the many miles of PAX in flip flops... this burned me at Prime '10. (Hell, stretching is good advice for everybody. Everyone will be doing a LOT of walking!) Costume-store fake gold chains will tarnish pretty quickly - the miles of walking will work up a sweat - bring spares or go with plastic. And if possible, grow a natural mustache. Fakes fall off, and besides, rockin' the stash is friggin awesome! :)
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Does that same guy go to Prime also? If so, I met that guy and he's cool as f___. Best Carl ever.

Thank you TOG! You're cool as hell too!

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • usagifaerie cosplaysusagifaerie cosplays CTRegistered User regular
    Im going as BloodRayne on Friday and Saturday, in her main outfit and evening gown.
    If you want to see progress check my faceboook.
    Www.facebook.com/usagifaeriecosplays

• stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    Thank you! Totally down for photo ops. :)
    When are you planning on wearing Marle during the weekend? If I wear Lucca, hopefully we can meet up :)

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    commissar1.jpg

@RainbowTunnel you're incorrect. Deactivated nerf guns are fine, if you can prove the deactivation. It's been specifically OK'd by @Tango, he just mentioned that you may be asked to show that it's deactivated.. The "no of this whatsoever" is airsoft.

Aiohda;idja; thank you for the correction. Sorry for the confusion, Thin Red Paste.... well, you have your answer now regardless! : P

• nollienollie Registered User regular
    Lightsaber came today! Cannot wait for pax, just need to put some finishing touches on my sith costume.
    We ran out of time to get my bfs jedi done but if anyone else is doing any star wars themed costumes would love to meet up and get some pics :)
    He's probably gonna be bringing his pantheon from league of legends again.

Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    My Chrono Trigger group is just about done with our costumes! We'll be traipsing about on Friday, looking silly.

Here's a sneak peek of my Sheik, which is also nearing completion:
    310048_637270487956_28501632_33115513_162601261_n.jpg

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    Finished the Medigun over the weekend, soldered all the connections, delicately crammed the machinery down the gun's throat with a dowel... then a contact broke somewhere and the light stopped working. So I pulled the light out, rewired it, triple-checked the connection, recrammed everything, and promptly dropped the trigger lever on the button, smashing it. Luckily I found the exact same button in Radio Shack (which is great, because my dad had bought the original one probably before I was born). It works now, and I'm decorating it.

I need a haircut anyway, so maybe I'll bring a picture of the Medic to my barber and say "just do this".
    Initialdor wrote: »
    And if possible, grow a natural mustache. Fakes fall off, and besides, rockin' the stash is friggin awesome! :)

Seconded. I actually chose last year's costume precisely because I had a mustache at the time.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I'll be the guy running around with a Canadian flag as a cape. Canadaman strikes again!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • repeterepete Registered User regular
    not so much of a costume but i will be wearing a virtual boy at times on my head

• Ghostbusters of NHGhostbusters of NH Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    opps

Ghostbusters of NH on
    edited March 2012
    double post :(

Ghostbusters of NH on
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If that's this year's PAXBadge I think that's a bit of a forum no-no.

Either way, still badass.

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    If that's this year's PAXBadge I think that's a bit of a forum no-no.

Either way, still badass.

opps, I suck. deleted!

• vicechanvicechan Registered User regular

I'm going to want to find you on Friday.

Are you going to the Trading Card meet-up on Friday? I'll be there!

• girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thank you! Totally down for photo ops. :)
    When are you planning on wearing Marle during the weekend? If I wear Lucca, hopefully we can meet up :)

Probably both days. If not, definitely Saturday. (As long as they don't change the concert line-ups any more. I want to make sure I'm Marle on VGO night.) I'm playing with the idea of Pink Power Rangering it up on Friday.
    vicechan wrote: »
    Are you going to the Trading Card meet-up on Friday? I'll be there!

Yes! Fantastic!

girlgamer88 on
    8BitBek

Future game art lady!
    This has been my project for PAX East for the last six months!
    IMG_0240.jpg

Also Saturday I think I'll wear this for a few hours :)
    DSC05055.jpg

• AmandaGCGAmandaGCG Registered User regular
    Skyward Sword dress just needs hemmed and embroidered. SO STOKED!
    431292_3483314320029_1186476795_3554141_1226319548_n.jpg

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    IMG_0240.jpg

DSC05055.jpg

Nice!
    AmandaGCG wrote: »
    Skyward Sword dress just needs hemmed and embroidered. SO STOKED!

Ooh exciting :D

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Verandia's costume is almost complete, its Yuna's wedding dress from FFX. Shes getting together with her sister this weekend to finish up some little bits.
    100_1594.jpg

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    hey rainbowtunnel - any way you can add me to the OP? I think somehow my Faith Connors from mirror's edge failed to make the list.

also, there will be a couple others in my group cosplaying. we will definitely have a robin from arkham asylum, an archer and lana from archer, and possibly (this one is not confirmed) a steampunk peach.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • AmandaGCGAmandaGCG Registered User regular
    tumblr_m1mqb4JX6s1r158nro1_500.jpg

Got some more progress!!!! Eek only a week away, so excited. I need hair extensions though. My recent hair trim made my hair too thin in the front to do the wraps Princess Zelda has.

• nollienollie Registered User regular
    IMG_0240.jpg

DSC05055.jpg

I must find you saturday! Love it <3

Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • KailKail Keeper of Awesomeness WMASSRegistered User regular
    nollie wrote: »
    IMG_0240.jpg

DSC05055.jpg

I must find you saturday! Love it <3

Usually i don't like hello kitty, but Ghostbusters = win. Nice work.

PAXEast 2013 Status - [] 3-day badge [] Hotel [] Challenge Coin
    VP of 5x5Servers.com
  • stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    AmandaGCG wrote: »
    My recent hair trim made my hair too thin in the front to do the wraps Princess Zelda has.

I would recommend going to Sally's Beauty and seeing if they have loose hair extensions in a color close to your own hair. They're not too expensive, and I've used them while cosplaying if I need a long ponytail in my natural hair color. If they do have them, buy the extensions and some hair extension clips (they look like little combs). Attach the extensions to the combs either by hand stitching or with hot glue. Then wrap with ribbon or whatever you're using, and clip into your hair. I hope this helps :)

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    Hey there it's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd give an update

so I'm not gonna be cosplaying Miror B this year because due to real life I wasn't able to finish the outfit (and I don't think I have the drive to work on it this week to finish). I considered trying to rush it last minute, but I figured I'd probably wear it on Friday, where most of my exhibit hall wandering time will be, and a huge afro (making it out of a big foam ball) would be very inconvenient for walking around that huge crowded space.
    So sadly, no one will be graced with the presence of the pokedisco dancing freak. (though if you go to CTCon or AAC I'll probably have it at at least one of those)
    as for my cosplay that I'm still doing I'll still be bringing Silver of course (The rival from the pokemon gold, silver, crystal, hg, and ss games)

Without Miror B I'm either gonna be Zoey from Left 4 Dead of friday or sunday, or I'm gonna just sport my wooper hoodie I have so I'll sorta be cosplaying wooper.
    I may do both doing one of friday one on sunday.
    I'll definitely be silver on Saturday, and then maybe sunday, though if not it will be one of the two stated above.

Link to Picture

That's my Silver cosplay and I can't wait to see all of the wonderful cosplays at PAX :D

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!