As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this your [chat]?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Judy Greer in Archer is crazy funny.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kalkino wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    strikes are awesome you guys
    meh.

Obviously, the government figured out they can make people in the UK hate Unions by triggering a Petrol Panic in claiming the Unions will cause one. Of course there is no strike, so the government should be eating the blowback on this shit.

I think they are at present. Even Sky is hating on them
    I can deal with that.

The UK seem less able to hand-wave reality away in situations like this, than across the pond here in the states.

Here FOXNEWS would have 20 million conspiracy theorists convinced that Unions are at fault no matter what actually happened, and we will probably see exactly that in the coming days and weeks of FOX coverage of the Great Petrol Panic of 2012.

Edit: Surely this will magically raise prices here in the states too, don't you think [chat]?

hanskey on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    So there is a fuel panic in the UK right now, with unleaded sales up 81% yesterday and jerry can sales up 500%

GRADE-1-JERRY-CAN.jpg
    why? wtf? are some pipelines down or is this just a panic?

The union that has most tanker drivers as members voted for strike action over pay and conditions.

Note that there isn't any strike yet, nor is one yet planned, but government ministers have been in the media talking about how people should be filling jerry cans.

What's particularly funny is that there are a load of regulations surrounding how petrol can be stored (outside of a vehicle fuel tank) and storing fuel in most domestic garages in 20 litre jerry cans is probably illegal in most cases.

something something 100 liters of fuel something something metal can something something spark something something new housing project!

I have drawn up some plans for fire proof housing. Basically I'll need a few thousand tons of cement, a lot of steel and some fibreboard.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, I finished up ME2 last night again, because I wanted the best ending, and I have to say that the ending isn't anywhere near as bad as I remember it being. It's actually very good, other than...
    The Terminator fight, which is retarded. However, the Saren fight wasn't very good at the end of ME1, either, and that game had one of the best last levels of all-time. I actually really enjoyed the end of ME2 this time through; I think it is a great payoff, that makes it seem like what you did in the rest of the game really mattered. So, while it wasn't as good as the ending to ME1, I think that's an unfair bar to expect it to meet. It's pretty great.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the ending to ME2, especially since I just replayed the end as well. I think it was pretty good.

(All ME2 spoilers. No ME3.)
    There was a lot of cinematic action immediately before the collector base and immediately after, and in between each combat section. You got to see the results of your choices very viscerally, and the transitions between interactivity and cinematic were nearly seamless, which I appreciate.

I liked the mechanic of picking crewmates to perform different tasks based on their skills. It evoked a real feeling of leadership for me. I also liked how they each had their own spin on the dialogue for each section. I felt like it made the crew really come alive.

I liked how you could choose different lines for your inspirational speech at the end.

I agree with you that the reaper-baby boss fight felt pretty contrived. I'm willing to overlook that because the rest of it was so good.

Also, if you're playing a Renegade shepard and you destroy the collector base, Shepard has one of the best lines in the trilogy.

Illusive Man: Shepard, you're making it a habit of costing me more than just time and money.
    Shepard: I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you. I'm getting a lot of bullshit on this line.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    So there is a fuel panic in the UK right now, with unleaded sales up 81% yesterday and jerry can sales up 500%

GRADE-1-JERRY-CAN.jpg

The union that has most tanker drivers as members voted for strike action over pay and conditions.

Note that there isn't any strike yet, nor is one yet planned, but government ministers have been in the media talking about how people should be filling jerry cans.

What's particularly funny is that there are a load of regulations surrounding how petrol can be stored (outside of a vehicle fuel tank) and storing fuel in most domestic garages in 20 litre jerry cans is probably illegal in most cases.

something something 100 liters of fuel something something metal can something something spark something something new housing project!

I have drawn up some plans for fire proof housing. Basically I'll need a few thousand tons of cement, a lot of steel and some fibreboard.

What if we just build the houses out of fire extinguishers.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

GRADE-1-JERRY-CAN.jpg

Isn't a lot of housing across the pond primarily cement anyway, my understanding was that using cement was the preferred method post WW2 so all the rebuilding was done that way.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Also, I finished up ME2 last night again, because I wanted the best ending, and I have to say that the ending isn't anywhere near as bad as I remember it being. It's actually very good, other than...
    The Terminator fight, which is retarded. However, the Saren fight wasn't very good at the end of ME1, either, and that game had one of the best last levels of all-time. I actually really enjoyed the end of ME2 this time through; I think it is a great payoff, that makes it seem like what you did in the rest of the game really mattered. So, while it wasn't as good as the ending to ME1, I think that's an unfair bar to expect it to meet. It's pretty great.
    Really the only problem with it is that the design of it is corny. I don't really have an issue with the reveals.
    I find the concept of fighting a Reaper with squad-level weapons to be pretty stupid, and I think it takes away a lot from the Reapers as a villain.
    eh, it was just the reaper core and it was in an extremely early stage of construction

no worse than what you did on the IFF mission

plus i shot it with a Cain like twice and took it down to half health

maybe you should try insanity mode n00b

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    meh.

Obviously, the government figured out they can make people in the UK hate Unions by triggering a Petrol Panic in claiming the Unions will cause one. Of course there is no strike, so the government should be eating the blowback on this shit.

I can deal with that.

The UK seem less able to hand-wave reality away in situations like this, than across the pond here in the states.

Here FOXNEWS would have 20 million conspiracy theorists convinced that Unions are at fault no matter what actually happened, and we will probably see exactly that in the coming days and weeks of FOX coverage of the Petrol Panic.

You forgot the FOX report two weeks earlier in which they ran a story about "Unions affecting your ability to get gasoline? All the information you need, right after the break." even tho there's not ACTUALLY a Union involved at all.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    GUYS GUYS I HAVE A PLAN:

Everyone on the forums empties their life savings accounts into a pool until we have $176 million.

Then we systematically purchase every single possible permutation of the mega millions lottery numbers.

Then we split the winnings based on how much you put in.

Every single person who puts in money gets a ~1.4x guaranteed instant return on their investment.

Unless someone else also picks a winning series of numbers.

You'd have to factor in all the of the lesser prizes too. But yeah. Still nowhere near a 1:1 return guarantee
    The jackpot prize is the jackpot; they pay the other prizes out of a different pool, I believe.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    i havent been as fat as i am now in like 2 yrs its disgusting

maybe longer

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    mrflippy wrote: »

GRADE-1-JERRY-CAN.jpg

What if we just build the houses out of fire extinguishers.

I'm open to that idea, but we will have to make the extinguishers be able to spray liquid cement and steel frameworks

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The law on storing fuel isn't particularly onerous, incidentally. From memory I think it just needs to be a certain distance (like a few metres, not miles away) from dwellings or roads, have something to prevent any spillage from spreading, and there's usually a requirement that the local authority be notified (mostly so that they can add it to the fire brigade's map of places to treat with particular caution).

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

GRADE-1-JERRY-CAN.jpg

Isn't a lot of housing across the pond primarily cement anyway, my understanding was that using cement was the preferred method post WW2 so all the rebuilding was done that way.

There are a lot of bricks in London and a lot of cement on the outskirts in the new towns

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    meh.

I can deal with that.

Here FOXNEWS would have 20 million conspiracy theorists convinced that Unions are at fault no matter what actually happened, and we will probably see exactly that in the coming days and weeks of FOX coverage of the Great Petrol Panic of 2012.

Edit: Surely this will magically raise prices here in the states too, don't you think [chat]?

it will not. it doesn't work that way.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the ending to ME2, especially since I just replayed the end as well. I think it was pretty good.

There was a lot of cinematic action immediately before the collector base and immediately after, and in between each combat section. You got to see the results of your choices very viscerally, and the transitions between interactivity and cinematic were nearly seamless, which I appreciate.

I liked the mechanic of picking crewmates to perform different tasks based on their skills. It evoked a real feeling of leadership for me. I also liked how they each had their own spin on the dialogue for each section. I felt like it made the crew really come alive.

I liked how you could choose different lines for your inspirational speech at the end.

I agree with you that the reaper-baby boss fight felt pretty contrived. I'm willing to overlook that because the rest of it was so good.

Also, if you're playing a Renegade shepard and you destroy the collector base, Shepard has one of the best lines in the trilogy.

Illusive Man: Shepard, you're making it a habit of costing me more than just time and money.
    Shepard: I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you. I'm getting a lot of bullshit on this line.
    Damn, kinda regret keeping the base. That's a good line.

• Options

maybe longer
    Starting Strength failing you?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Dude

This is horrifying: democracynow.org/2012/3/29/killed_at_home_white_plains_ny

Old guy's medic-alert bracelet goes off accidentally, police come to his house, break down his door, taser him, and then kill him.

He was 68

the officers are claiming self defence.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

maybe longer

iPad fat.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

I KNOW THAT WAS THE BEST

I was all

"OH SHIT."

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    meh.

I can deal with that.

Here FOXNEWS would have 20 million conspiracy theorists convinced that Unions are at fault no matter what actually happened, and we will probably see exactly that in the coming days and weeks of FOX coverage of the Petrol Panic.

You forgot the FOX report two weeks earlier in which they ran a story about "Unions affecting your ability to get gasoline? All the information you need, right after the break." even tho there's not ACTUALLY a Union involved at all.
    Because of my blood pressure I quit watching FOX except through the Daily Show or the Soup, so thanks for point that out or I might never have known! :)

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ME2 ending video for Sarksus:

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

Yeah, I agree with all of that. ME2 ending spoilers:
    I also like when you just use the normal, non-Renegade non-Paragon response to that line from the Illusive Man; it's something like "Listen, you brought me back to save the universe, and I'm going to do it my way, without giving up the soul of our species."

And that last cinematic with Joker flying in and shooting the Collectors from the open doorway of the Normandy is just action-movie awesome.

• Options
    Dude

Old guy's medic-alert bracelet goes off accidentally, police come to his house, break down his door, taser him, and then kill him.

He was 68

Holy Christ!!

what the fuck is wrong with law enforcement these days?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yay! My squad of winterguard is assembled!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

• Options
    Dude

He was 68

Holy Christ!!

They are basically completely in control of every aspect of our legal system.

And absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I almost want to make a "What would you REALLY do if you won $500 million" thread. I don't know if those ever end up very good though.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

maybe longer

Skyrim made me flabby all over. Skyrim and being 30 years old is probably more accurate.

• Options

maybe longer
    Skyrim made me flabby all over. Skyrim and being 30 years old is probably more accurate.
    Being 30 is the fucking worst.

• Options
    Thanatos, I'll be interested in seeing your reactions to ME3. Not the ending, so much, as some of the mid-game events.

• Options
    edited March 2012

maybe longer
    33 is worse. I promise.

hanskey on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Dude

He was 68

Why would they have all of that equipment on a medic-alert bracelet call? Like, what's the thought process here? "Old guy might be having a heart attack, we'd better bring the riot gear!"

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dude

He was 68

Holy Christ!!

As the Trayvon Martin case draws national attention, we look at another fatal shooting of an African-American male that has received far less scrutiny.
    has received far less scrutiny.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

maybe longer
    33 is worse. I promise.

Haha, you're all old.

You guys are going to die before the singularity.

Winky on
  • Options
    Dude

He was 68

Holy Christ!!

Right, but,

THEY KNOCKED HIM OUT WITH A TASER AND THEN SHOT HIM!!!!

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Dude

He was 68

Why would they have all of that equipment on a medic-alert bracelet call? Like, what's the thought process here? "Old guy might be having a heart attack, we'd better bring the riot gear!"

Lots of PDs are getting more militarized due to no-knocks/breech entry situations being more common, and they figured 'we've got it we might as well keep it in the truck'?

mindspork on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Dude

He was 68

Holy Christ!!

Right, but,

THEY KNOCKED HIM OUT WITH A TASER AND THEN SHOT HIM!!!!
    Did they shout "he's comin' right for us!" first?

Not that it matters. Just look at Mehserle and the BART execution; he got off with time served. He's probably working as a cop in some other city, now.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yay! My squad of winterguard is assembled!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

This is the best national anthem

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

maybe longer
    Starting Strength failing you?
    got thrown off going to the gym after i went on a 6 day ski trip, and then was distracted by planning for my japan vacation and preparing/worrying about a job interview that popped up (which i failed)
    poor excuses

but my laziness was compounded by the fact that i've been eating like shit for the last few months, after falling off the healthy eating wagon hard for whatever reason

so all that together is just

its just shit

poo
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

maybe longer
    33 is worse. I promise.

Haha, you're all old.

You guys are going to die before the singularity.

So will we Winky, so will we.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    GUYS GUYS I HAVE A PLAN:

Everyone on the forums empties their life savings accounts into a pool until we have $176 million.

Then we systematically purchase every single possible permutation of the mega millions lottery numbers.

Then we split the winnings based on how much you put in.

Every single person who puts in money gets a ~1.4x guaranteed instant return on their investment.

forget the lottery
    lets do a forumwide tontine

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.