As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arden's Artin' Thread

13»

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd recommend trying to practice it most of the time. Line weight is one of those things that will actually become more instinct if you are already consciously aware of volume and form, but just smooth lines is kind of muscle memory of the arm/wrist. If you are practicing it, you'll get better at it. If you are always waiting to do it for more important stuff, you'll never practice it.

Id recommend not going crazy on trying to get some Da Vinci studies of arms and shit, But starting with some farily structural, geometric breakdowns of anatomy (Burne Hogarth, probably) and see how you handle those.

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Just by comparing some Loomis anatomy I can see a lot of errors I had made before. I'll try to actively do the line weight thing from now on in my mind and with my hand. I'll try the shapes of anatomy next!
    ssabL.jpg

• thornbirdthornbird Registered User regular
    I agree with Iruka about the line weight. Are you using a tablet? And if you are, are you using a brush where pressure affects brush size? It makes a huge difference, you don't even need to pay attention to it at first, just helps to have on.

thornbird wrote: »
    I agree with Iruka about the line weight. Are you using a tablet? And if you are, are you using a brush where pressure affects brush size? It makes a huge difference, you don't even need to pay attention to it at first, just helps to have on.
    Yeah I use a tablet sooooo I'll use the brush size difference option more often now if not all the time.

edited March 2012
    I tried a few Hogarth heads and shapes. It was kind of fun? I'll have to convince myself to do more later. And for some reason one of the heads became some sort of Mario Wario hybrid. EDIT - now that I look at them from far away the heads lack overall structure D: ?
    0hN0i.jpg

Arden Canelo on
    Newest version. I've felt done with it before, but the more I draw it the more it improves? How will I ever stop designing my main character and move on to the comic proper @_@ (Sarcasm)
    qSEdH.jpg

Okay so I was thinking what colors I could add to go with the whole fusion of technology and magic idea I have going and then it hit me. Muted oranges and greys! Colors that evoke a Halloween aesthetic and a supernatural occult feeling with the greys being in reference to metal and such. I think this is a great idea, but it may just be me being excited about something at 5am.
    JutPV.jpg

edited March 2012
    More refinement of the front view - is it clear there's depth in the form even with flat colors? Damn it why do I always forget her snake tail...
    GrY1u.jpg

Arden Canelo on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I tried a few Hogarth heads and shapes. It was kind of fun? I'll have to convince myself to do more later. And for some reason one of the heads became some sort of Mario Wario hybrid. EDIT - now that I look at them from far away the heads lack overall structure D: ?
    0hN0i.jpg

Yeah they do, but keep at it. Do a study, apply it to a drawing, do a study, apply it to a drawing, repeat forever. You'll see more rapid improvement if you keep doing what seems difficult and getting feedback on that. Looking at that page, I feel like you would benefit the most from some basic shape studies, because your cube and cylindrical forms are off. By basics I mean doing this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXwXEQVld8&feature=player_embedded

yes, its tedious and feels dumb while you do it, but what you are teaching yourself is to be accurate with the most basic of your construction. You cant make an a believable arm if you cant draw a not-lumpy ellipses.

Not to say you need to stop your character development, just keep working on your basic skills on the side.

Quick and dirty logo idea with a new title idea for the comic.

vT1oe.jpg

So I'm satisfied with the dragon arm design now and I think the colors are done unless someone has some input.
    lrBeM.jpg

Does this read okay? I'm going for a Chinese paper lantern background thing. The panels will obviously have art in them and not be solid red (perhaps they will have a red like glaze over them?), but what's it look like right now to you guys?
    ujodS.jpg

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Watch the tangents with the frames/dialogue balloons (panels 1&4).

Otherwise it's really hard to have an opinion on the suitability of a comic's paneling without the comic.

header_image_sm.jpg
    Testing out a video game influenced comic style. At first I did it in pixels, but was like fuck that takes a lot of time. The character would be small to tiny for the most part to simulate a game screen. However there would be times when the character walks closer to the "screen" and is shown bigger. Do the text boxes need to be placed some where else rather than the edges? I hope someone besides me likes this idea because I think it's interesting :oops:
    AxYrT.jpg

Morning doodlins. I don't like how messy my linework is, but I think its getting better some?
    potOl.jpg

Color and face practice without reference. I'm sure there are mistakes! I can't see any though, which goes to show how untrained my eyes are. This was also fun.
    6Cn7m.jpg

Slowly teaching myself how to digitally paint.
    gF0y5.jpg

Post post post :whistle:
    iaSgB.jpg

Here's today's thing.
    Ni2xK.jpg

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    punchomancy. enchanted fisticuffs.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Does this little guy look like he could be in a space western? He's kind of a mouse with elf ears and facial hair/whiskers. I like the idea of the two toned colors being individual to their specific areas. Does anyone else like him?
    EsgQ2.jpg