As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    One thing, is this enhanced edition thing ipad only?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nope, PC as well unless I'm massively mistaken

Karl on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think they said PC, iOS and Android.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    isnt there suppose to be new news and screenshots and shit today?

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I still have flashbacks to those slave guys in the mines saying, "Get me outta this hell-hole." It's a perfect analogy to corporate America.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I dunno, do corporate buildings get attacked by kobolds? Or are they an analogy to the occupy people?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    So the tainted iron is the subprime mortgage market, and The Iron Throne is Goldman Sachs...

Then who the heck is Noobler or whatever that guy is in Naskhel?

Bigity wrote: »

The guy who says Heya until you kill him?

I guess Glenn Beck.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    We would take Occupy more seriously if they had fire arrows.

KalTorak wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »

The guy who says Heya until you kill him?

I guess Glenn Beck.

Hahahaha. I used to like Glenn Beck but I'm afraid this is dead on.

We would take Occupy more seriously if they had fire arrows.

True. Maybe they are the Xvart village minus the bear.

• DockenDocken Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So the tainted iron is the subprime mortgage market, and The Iron Throne is Goldman Sachs...

:^:

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    "Haha! We killed the wolf! We killed it. Uh. Imoen? You alri-

"Oh. Oh that's not right."

Thus far I've died twice to mages, twice to the same wolf, one to a gibberling and once to a guard, I just reached Beregost.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, there's an area just outside of Candlekeep that will get you swarmed by maybe 10-12 Gibberlings and everyone will die. I think it may even be an attack when transitioning between areas.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Welp, I can add "robbed to death by Hobgoblins" and "butchered by Gnolls" to the list.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    How are you having such a difficult time? What's your party makeup?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I predict Quayle, Dan Hibiki, Luvdisc, Head, and Miria Grisham.

But Quayle and Dan Hibiki would be too overpowered!

ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2012
    Charname ended up being a shape shifter, which is a word for "Naked man what runs through the woods and sometimes growls at rabbits," and his entourage consisted of Imoen, Xan and Montaron . . . That is until Xan got shot in the face by a Hobgoblin and Montaron bravely held the line while his new friends escaped into the distance. May they rest in a minimum of pieces.

So now Charname huddles behind Khalid while Jaheira shows up Imoen's archery skills with her sling. It is working better now that they are level two.

We just picked up Minsc but he seems somehow less adorable when he's obsessed with traveling to a Gnoll Stronghold. Gnolls are scary.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Shapeshifter isn't a Baldur's Gate 1 class, stop cheating and choose a real one.

1208768734831.jpg
    Are you playing vanilla BG1, or are you using BGT or Tutu? Khalid and Minsc should both have proficiency in some form of ranged weaponry, so it wouldn't hurt to toss them both bows and arrows if you can. Even with crappy proficiency in them, their DEX should be decent enough to get you some not terrible THAC0 for ranged stuff.

And on news of my game that I know none of you care about, I've pretty much finished up most of the more rewarding/interesting sidequests in Baldur's Gate itself, so all I have left are the Tales of the Sword Coast areas and the rest of the main plot line. Most of the party is level 7-8 and Charname is an absolute horrible beast, having nommed five stat tomes thus far. My biggest worry is that he'll hit level 9 before the end of BG1, and the very last possible thing I ever want to do is fight either the final boss of Durlag's Tower or SCS-modified Sarevok as a level 1 Cleric.

ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2012
    But but but

but

The sound werewolves make is hilarious

:<

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Shapeshifter isn't a Baldur's Gate 1 class, stop cheating and choose a real one.

Shapeshifter is also not a particularly good class, so starting BG1 as one is almost an extra challenge.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Don't feel bad about dying though. It is impossible, in a game that is basically 75% luck based, not to die. I'd only get concerned if you can't beat an encounter no matter how many times you reload.

But yeah, switching to ranged makes it less frustrating.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    Haha, oh wow. Check out this little gem from the past I just found while googling around to find out what the Tales of the Sword Coast XP cap was:

http://www.thecomputershow.com/computershow/previews/baldursgatetalesotsc.htm

It's a preview for TotSC from back in 1999. Ye gods, that site design...

ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2012
    Shapshifter is pretty legit actually. The Greater werewolf form gives you something like 21/20/25 for str/dex/con and counts as a +4 weapon with good AC. The thing is it sets stats rather than increasing them, so you get no benefit from stat increases from tomes or items or anything. On the otherhand, you can give those stat increases to someone else and still have great stats.

Of course at low levels you only get 1 or 2 uses and you can't wear any armour so you're basically fucked starting out in BG1.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • DadeLeviathanDadeLeviathan Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Shapshifter is pretty legit actually. The Greater werewolf form gives you something like 21/20/25 for str/dex/con and counts as a +4 weapon with good AC. The thing is it sets stats rather than increasing them, so you get no benefit from stat increases from tomes or items or anything. On the otherhand, you can give those stat increases to someone else and still have great stats.

Of course at low levels you only get 1 or 2 uses and you can't wear any armour so you're basically fucked starting out in BG1.

In BG2, it's a much more viable class because you start off at a higher level. If, however, you include a patch that removes the xp limit (as I usually do since I usually hit max level before halfway through the game), then once you start rising up in epic levels, a shapeshifter becomes so powerful that it's pretty much ridiculous.

One of my favorite mods when playing a shapeshifter is the shapeshifter rebalance mod. It balances out the class so that you aren't a lycanthropic god at higher levels and you aren't a helpless puppy at lower ones. Playing a BGTUTU or BGTrilogy playthrough of BG1 with a shapeshifter is far more viable with that mod, but Shapeshifter is still a very hard class to play at lower levels, although not as hard as a monk.

The biggest problem is you picked a Druid so you're always going to have to append 'it's pretty good..for a druid' to everything.

Too bad every class' kits aren't as good as Thief. Swashbuckler, Bounty Hunter and Assassin are all great fun to play.

sig.gif
    And even the plain ol' Thief isn't bad either, since it has to make no compromises with regard to its thieving skills. Sure, the kits can get everything they could want or need... eventually... the plain/multiclass Thief has much more flexibility and is one of the few Rogues that can take Detect Illusions without really sacrificing anything.

ZvOMJnu.png
    I am enjoying this bloody romp across the sword coast. <3

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Fuck all of these mages on Ice Island. That is all.

ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2012
    My party is now happily decked out in slings and bows, clearing out the mines. I'm playing BGT, I like.

I had a look at that Shapeshifter mod, its certainly got the correct stats, though immunity to normal weapons seems slightly unsporting considering the foes I currently face. On the other hand, he's a werewolf. For giggles I had a look at how the first assassin faired vs level 1 Charname.

NOM GLOM SHLORP CHOMP gibs everywhere.

-

Oh man. That Ankheg was having none of my shit. SCREEE splish Charname melted. Kay. Take two! SCREEEEE oh god no, Minsc! MINSC! WHY DIDN'T I PUT A HELMET ON YOUR BIG, FAT, STUPID, HEAD!? Take three. Imoen takes one for the teaaaa... Ew. Oh dear. Take four! What Gnolls what pleaseno okay they're dead this is working this is- MINSC YOU FAT HEAD STOP DYING. Take five. Make it ded make it ded make it de- oh its dead.

Yaaaay!

Then I got ambushed by little blue men, and Xan proved his worth by color spraying them and Charname. He even stabbed one on the ground.

And after that I got ambushed by Wargs and everyone almost died but didn't quite!

Now we are all heroes.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

In BG2, it's a much more viable class because you start off at a higher level. If, however, you include a patch that removes the xp limit (as I usually do since I usually hit max level before halfway through the game), then once you start rising up in epic levels, a shapeshifter becomes so powerful that it's pretty much ridiculous.

One of my favorite mods when playing a shapeshifter is the shapeshifter rebalance mod. It balances out the class so that you aren't a lycanthropic god at higher levels and you aren't a helpless puppy at lower ones. Playing a BGTUTU or BGTrilogy playthrough of BG1 with a shapeshifter is far more viable with that mod, but Shapeshifter is still a very hard class to play at lower levels, although not as hard as a monk.

Are you talking about the shapeshifter rebalance component of the Ease of Use mod? Because if so, that's the most overpowered "tweak" since the druidic sorcerer.

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Well, my epic party got squashed by... wait for it... confusion.

Entered the mines in chapter 6 and proceed to the second floor. Sadly, the entire group got stuck in the corridor on the second floor so I exited the area. However, for some reason, the script considered that to alert EVERYONE on the second floor. Within seconds, my party was swarmed by 15 Black Talon guards and 1 high level mage on the first level.

I considered just entering the 2nd floor again, but I felt that was akin to cheating and exploiting the system. Nevertheless my party did not survive the encounter due to confusion all around.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why you pick a cleric over a druid.

Are you using SCS with Better Calls for Help? If so, the same thing happened to me when I did it, except I killed the initial guards before all the reinforcements could hit the entrance room, so I was in for a bit of a surprise when I went further in and saw the entire rest of the level emptied out in one single hallway. Luckily Sleep worked on most of them and I managed to kill the mage quickly.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Are you using SCS with Better Calls for Help? If so, the same thing happened to me when I did it, except I killed the initial guards before all the reinforcements could hit the entrance room, so I was in for a bit of a surprise when I went further in and saw the entire rest of the level emptied out in one single hallway. Luckily Sleep worked on most of them and I managed to kill the mage quickly.

Most likely. I have installed every single component of SCS.

Also regarding the werewolf conversation: The werewolf rebalance component of SCS is probably the best tweak I have come across. Unless you cheese it (by dual-wielding werewolf paws), it feels quite balanced and never "OMG I AM THE ULTIMATE MACHINE OF DEATH!" - at least in the scope of Baldur's Gate 1. I cannot vouch for Baldur's Gate 2 and TOB since I never managed to get that far with a druid character.

Though I can imagine werewolf being ridiculously powerful once you hit level 14 and just dual wield 2 x greater werewolf paws. 2X everything!

• AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    Whenever I see sales like that I feel simultaneously proud that I already own all those games and annoyed that I can't really take advantage of such a good deal.

ZvOMJnu.png