As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Kraken makes for a good Dark and Stormy, though I hear people who don't want to be sued stick to Goslings.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    The Kraken isn't as good as Sailor Jerry. Although it does come in a great bottle.

They're different kinds of rum... They're both pretty good at what they do.

Though Jerry's does come with a pinup.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    The Kraken isn't as good as Sailor Jerry. Although it does come in a great bottle.

I think I prefer to sip/shoot Sailor Jerry, but still prefer Kraken in coke.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Cruzan when you are broke. Cruzan when you aren't.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

Right after I discovered that Cruzan tastes better than Bacardi for cheaper rum, every liquor store near me made Cruzan more expensive than Bacardi, too. Like, I bought one bottle while it was cheaper, and that was it.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Cincitucky wrote:
    As a sidenote, the worst bottle of whiskey ever purchased was Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey.

Ashame, I love Rogue's Dead Guy Ale and saw the whiskey. Never will I assume a producer of good brew can easily create whiskey/bourbon that is on the same quality level. Of course, I haven't noticed breweries also playing the part of a distiller.

Right there with you!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    so i want to talk about bourbon.

i recently got a bottle of Van Winkle 12-year, and then hastily purchased another one. then i hemmed and hawed about dropping the cash on more, and in the interim they all sold out in my city.

unfortunately, the absolutely fantastic quality of this goddamn thing has made it difficult for me to drink lower-shelf stuff that I used to really enjoy, like Bulleit or Woodford Reserve.

My local liquor store has gotten a bunch of new bourbon and American whiskey in general lately, and I'm looking for stuff that I will still enjoy now that I have been exposed to something really nice. I've got Booker's, Baker's, Bulleit, Van Winkle 10 and 12, Eagle Rare, Blanton's Special Single Reserve (so overpriced), and a bit of Jefferson's on my shelf right now. I'm trying to decide what to pick up next that's available - Ridgemont Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Old Forester, Basil Hayden's, Blanton's Original, Four Roses, and there's some Rittenhouse rye there too (they also have Maker's Mark and MM46, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and a few others that I've already tried).

I did find a ridiculously expensive single-barrel El Dorado demerara rum, too, which I think you could drizzle over pancakes if you were wealthy enough to spare it.

I'm a big fan of Bulleit. Bought it on a whim since their bourbon labels itself as Frontier Whiskey, and that is the kind of thing I can get behind. I wasn't as big a fan of their rye as their bourbon, but it's pretty good stuff for the cost. Can be had around these parts for cheaper than Jack, and is infinitely better. Excellent bottle to boot.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »

Right after I discovered that Cruzan tastes better than Bacardi for cheaper rum, every liquor store near me made Cruzan more expensive than Bacardi, too. Like, I bought one bottle while it was cheaper, and that was it.

Hah sheeeeeeeeeet

• BersheliBersheli Registered User regular
    CRUAZAN RUM
    Daedalus wrote: »

Hah sheeeeeeeeeet

Lol damn skippy. When I actually started drinking I started on Cruzan. Unfortunately for me you guys should know that even though grapefruit juice mixed with Cruzan is excellent, grapefruit slows down your metabolism and makes that stuff stay in your system for longer and ultimately accumulate. That's why all those medications such as xanax warn you not to eat grapefruit with them.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Do ports keep well after opening? I know they should not spoil, but I always hesitate to buy a bottle because I know it will take me forever to drink it. I tend to just drink them to cap off exceptional meals, or with a cigar.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    From what I've read - and experienced - this bit from ChowHound is true:
    zin1953 wrote:
    That said, the older the Tawny Porto is, the "shorter" its survival time once opened; the younger the Vintage Porto, the longer it can survive once opened.

It's basically a few days to a few weeks on the outside. Never months/years like spirits.

MichaelLC on
  • OcksOcks The fields so greenRegistered User regular

i recently got a bottle of Van Winkle 12-year, and then hastily purchased another one. then i hemmed and hawed about dropping the cash on more, and in the interim they all sold out in my city.

unfortunately, the absolutely fantastic quality of this goddamn thing has made it difficult for me to drink lower-shelf stuff that I used to really enjoy, like Bulleit or Woodford Reserve.

My local liquor store has gotten a bunch of new bourbon and American whiskey in general lately, and I'm looking for stuff that I will still enjoy now that I have been exposed to something really nice. I've got Booker's, Baker's, Bulleit, Van Winkle 10 and 12, Eagle Rare, Blanton's Special Single Reserve (so overpriced), and a bit of Jefferson's on my shelf right now. I'm trying to decide what to pick up next that's available - Ridgemont Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Old Forester, Basil Hayden's, Blanton's Original, Four Roses, and there's some Rittenhouse rye there too (they also have Maker's Mark and MM46, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and a few others that I've already tried).

I did find a ridiculously expensive single-barrel El Dorado demerara rum, too, which I think you could drizzle over pancakes if you were wealthy enough to spare it.

I'm a big fan of Bulleit. Bought it on a whim since their bourbon labels itself as Frontier Whiskey, and that is the kind of thing I can get behind. I wasn't as big a fan of their rye as their bourbon, but it's pretty good stuff for the cost. Can be had around these parts for cheaper than Jack, and is infinitely better. Excellent bottle to boot.

Rittenhouse is twice the drink it should be for the price, and for this unfortunate reason, they seem to have rolling shortages across their supply chain every few months. It's well worth the money the next time you stop in.

Depending on how adventurous you are, a neat thing to check out is unaged whiskey that you can use as a replacement for vodka in certain drinks. A bloody mary made with a wheat-heavy unaged whiskey is pretty awesome.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I've skimmed the last few pages of the thread, so forgive me if I missed reference to it, but I thought there was a home brewing thread around here somewhere. Am I just imagining things?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I've skimmed the last few pages of the thread, so forgive me if I missed reference to it, but I thought there was a home brewing thread around here somewhere. Am I just imagining things?

Hop on over to this thread, however it's barley active. Thanks fermenting it though, now I want some beer.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Do ports keep well after opening?

depends if you saved your router settings

ayoooooooo

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I just wanted to let everyone know that The Kraken may make the tastiest rum & coke I've ever had.
    0Qcgu.jpg

Got a bottle of this for annual present giving day and can most certainly agree.

To my wallets detriment, but my tastebuds delight it has started me on a top shelf booze mission. Including the Kraken so far I’ve got me these:
    hendricks_1_11-e1294595525993.jpg
    img1.jpg
    drambuie-15.jpg

Of those the one I'm happiest with is the tequila. I never knew it was possible for the stuff to actually taste good.

I'm now pondering the vodka front, but I've always been led to believe that there's no point buying the expensive over the middling as there won't be any taste difference. I.e. the whole grey goose thing is a crock of goose.

Campy on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Grey Goose is terrible, but that doesn't mean top-shelf vodka isn't superior to Bowman's.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The two vodkas I've been rolling with during the last few months are Crater Lake and Tito's. I've recently reacquainted my love for Greyhounds.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Of those the one I'm happiest with is the tequila. I never knew it was possible for the stuff to actually taste good.

I never knew it was possible for tequila to taste bad.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You have clearly never met Jose Cuervo or his cousin Pepe Lopez

adytum on
    Fuck

I'll drink Montezuma if it's chilled.

Just got home from this - http://kscraftbrewfest.com/

And, man, Green Flash Brewing is the fucking winner. But I will admit, as a hop head and not a huge porter/stout fan, 75th Street Breweries Double Vanilla Bean Porter was a personal favorite, and the most commonly referenced beer name I heard around the floor.

It was very good.

• BersheliBersheli Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Hey you guys be careful with that whisky what tastes good. Seriously that shit will burn your mouth up. You will have a localized sting related to that stuff. Learn from my experience, please.

Edit: what the fuck does that quote have to do with this??? sorry the message boards are a little screwy. I hope the 4 hour downtime helps with that.

Bersheli on

To my wallets detriment, but my tastebuds delight it has started me on a top shelf booze mission. Including the Kraken so far I’ve got me these:

I'm now pondering the vodka front, but I've always been led to believe that there's no point buying the expensive over the middling as there won't be any taste difference. I.e. the whole grey goose thing is a crock of goose.

What do you think of the Drambuie? How does it differ from the un-aged?

MichaelLC wrote: »

What do you think of the Drambuie? How does it differ from the un-aged?

Haven't cracked it yet :( That bottle actually belongs to the missus. She's waiting on the friend that bought it for her to come up for a visit to open. Awfully nice of her, but goddamnit woman I want to try it!

Drambuie is my delicious bridge into the world of whiskys, my fragile tastebuds can't handle the real stuff yet. Anyone got a recommendation for a virgin palate?

So cruel!

I enjoyed the regular version, wonder if the 15 is even sweeter or closer to a whisky.

My powers of slightly drunken persuasion proved victorious! The 15 year is definitely closer to whisky and definitely tastier. We're going to have to work hard at not drinking it all before the lady's friend arrives!

I am currently infatuated with super hoppy beers, this one in particular tickled my tastebuds something special.
    Magic_Rock_Rapture026small.jpeg

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Glenlivet 12 Year is a pretty good whisky for a newer drinker. I've got a penchant for bourbons and rye whiskeys at the moment, myself.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ocks wrote: »

Rittenhouse is twice the drink it should be for the price, and for this unfortunate reason, they seem to have rolling shortages across their supply chain every few months. It's well worth the money the next time you stop in.

Depending on how adventurous you are, a neat thing to check out is unaged whiskey that you can use as a replacement for vodka in certain drinks. A bloody mary made with a wheat-heavy unaged whiskey is pretty awesome.

Margaritas with unaged corn whiskey and a splash of orange juice are delicious. It should work, it sounds disgusting but everyone should try it once.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to let everyone know that The Kraken may make the tastiest rum & coke I've ever had.
    0Qcgu.jpg

Got a bottle of this for annual present giving day and can most certainly agree.

img1.jpg
    drambuie-15.jpg

I prefer 1800 and Don Julio to Patron, personally. I'm actually really, really curious to try the Costco-brand Silver Tequila next time I'm out, though.

As for Vodka, I don't see a point in getting anything better than Stoli, myself. It's ~$20 for a 750mL in my area and I can't tell the difference between that and the expensive stuff like Belvedere.

Blah, 1800

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    don julio is significantly better than patron. patron is crap.

for cheap but good tequila, I like milagro (the reserva is pricey as fuck but so good) and for a bit more siembra azul, and then my face -- siete leguas.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Currently drinking Orange Blossom Pilsner, which was mandatory following my relocation to Florida. It's simple but sorta addictive.

Recently enjoyed Old Foghorn Ale on draft at the amazing bar conveniently located near my home. Plenty of hops, very nice after-taste. My all-time favorite super-hoppy beer (@Campy) is still Great Lakes' Lake Eerie Monster, which has ALL of the hops and ALL of the sugar.

I've also been delighted to discover that high-end beer bars in Orlando carry drinks from Hoppin' Frog Brewery in Akron, OH, because a) it's FANTASTIC and b) I used to live near there.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    0Qcgu.jpg

img1.jpg
    drambuie-15.jpg

I swing past this thread occasionally and noticed the Hendricks here. My god hendricks gin is awesome. Mix it with cucumber (seriously) and tonic. It is fantastic. Basically blend some cucumber with some lemon juice, then mix that with the gin over ice. Add tonic if you like.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Podly wrote: »
    don julio is significantly better than patron. patron is crap.

for cheap but good tequila, I like milagro (the reserva is pricey as fuck but so good) and for a bit more siembra azul, and then my face -- siete leguas.

Holy shit, if Patron is crap then I can't wait to try some of these other ones! I'm guessing the US gets a bunch of good tequilas fairly cheap due to Mexico's proximity. Here's hoping I can lay my hands on some of your suggestions.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Currently drinking Orange Blossom Pilsner, which was mandatory following my relocation to Florida. It's simple but sorta addictive.

Recently enjoyed Old Foghorn Ale on draft at the amazing bar conveniently located near my home. Plenty of hops, very nice after-taste. My all-time favorite super-hoppy beer (@Campy) is still Great Lakes' Lake Eerie Monster, which has ALL of the hops and ALL of the sugar.

I've also been delighted to discover that high-end beer bars in Orlando carry drinks from Hoppin' Frog Brewery in Akron, OH, because a) it's FANTASTIC and b) I used to live near there.

Hoppin' Frog is good stuff even if it is slightly expensive. If you can find it, their Barrel Aged Boris is pretty fantastic. At least in Florida you have access to relatively fresh Cigar City which is nice.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if anyone here has been keeping up with the LA Beerathon, but the event has officially been cancelled.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    My powers of slightly drunken persuasion proved victorious! The 15 year is definitely closer to whisky and definitely tastier. We're going to have to work hard at not drinking it all before the lady's friend arrives!

Nice. Will have to look into getting some of that.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i went to Drink in boston

pretty great bar

i had a few good manhattan variations, a sazerac, and a brandy alexander

rockabilly chicks everywhere!

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Been sipping this from time to time; it's a tasty beverage.

lagavulin.JPG

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...