As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tex Murphy! Live again! [May 15th Kickstarter]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Never played any Tex Murphy games, but it's still exciting to hear stuff like this. Kickstarter might be the best thing to happen to our hobby in a long time.

Steam: offday
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The Kickstarting stuff is getting real.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I wonder what a new Tex Murphy game will look like now.

The series had a decent run, but the 3d graphics never really got to shine like they should.

It'd be cool to see it done up proper.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am wondering if they are going to do it with 3D animation or live action. Their last game had some 3D work. So, they have the talent. I'll get behind this. I would love to see it revived.

It would be great if they could get a Mass Effect-like engine up and running for it, but that would take allot of green.

Krathoon on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This has to be live-action. Has to be.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'd guess if they've got the guy who played Tex in on it, they're probably gunning for live action-especially seeing that's how they've always done it. Probably some form of green screening actors into virtual sets like before, but now with better lighting, better world geometry, and the scenes themselves more properly scaled to the actors.

Not to knock it or anything, but check out Tex's office as shown in Under A Killing Moon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-HjV257XU

This kind of thing can be done much more handily now.

Tex is going to be much more grizzled in this one.

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The way I see it, this is a pretty good idea. Just a week ago Double Fine proved there are 85k adventure game fans with shiny new Kickstarter accounts. I guess the demographics of the average Kickstarter user has been strongly shifted towards "probably likes adventure games".

I actually have Under a Killing Moon from GOG installed right now, and I've got Overseer sitting in a double-size jewelcase on my shelf, but I'm still sitting around on Day 1 with no idea how I'm supposed to move the game forward... And I don't really want to click that hint button either...

Edit: hey, anybody ever play Fate by Numbers? Seemed pretty similar. Free game, but I never got around to playing it.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Tex's actor was one of the leads. And purchased the rights along with the head writer when Access was sold to Take Two.

About the only thing I'm curious about is... Where's Chelese?

newSig.jpg
    This is what worries me about the live action. They might not be able to get all of the actors. Also, they are getting kind of old.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If only games could have new characters in sequels! And if only old people could act! Then they'd be golden. Oh well.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I actually think a dialogue engine like Mass Effect would fit right in with a dialogue-heavy adventure game like Tex Murphy.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well when your dialog choices are almost literally "A: Goofy comment, B: Snarky Wit, C: Empathic response" it could fit.

newSig.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Well when your dialog choices are almost literally "A: Goofy comment, B: Snarky Wit, C: Empathic response" it could fit.

Hell, Tex Murphy was even doing it first.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_the_pandora_directive

(Check the screenshots)

The only drawback to the games was that the 3D engine did not quite match up to the cinematics. However, this can be achieved today.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

for the blue and red you can add "empty threat" and "well, that's like, your opinion man".

edited March 2012
    I really do think they should just 3D render the characters for more flexibility, but they will have to build an engine and scripting system for that. This will probably introduce way too much overhead. Also, they have plenty of experience doing it the other way.

Krathoon on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I'm strangely intrigued by the idea of HD FMV sprites. Video face textures like in Myst 5 could work too, but going full 3D wouldn't feel right for a Tex Murphy game...

We'll get back there someday.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That's honestly what I want most. Probably would be cheaper than CG, too.
    (I have no clue, besides too many years fondly spent playing Sega CD FMV games.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    I'm strangely intrigued by the idea of HD FMV sprites. Video face textures like in Myst 5 could work too, but going full 3D wouldn't feel right for a Tex Murphy game...

This brings me scary, unfamiliar thoughts of an HD Mad Dog McCree.