As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TESO] Probably better than a Cliff Racer hunting sim.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Riale wrote: »
    My worst fear is that an Elder Scrolls MMO will mean no more single player installments. Bioware already killed any hope of a future KOTOR singleplayer installment, I don't want Bethesda to murder my favorite western RPG series.

There's still plenty of room for a new KOTOR. It's evident if you play through the storyline. Also, there's 3000 years of history to go before the prequel time period hits. It just won't take place in the "arc" they have going now, most likely.

I'm thinking there's one of two scenarios for this thing. Since it returns to Skyrim, and appears to be in the same time period, either it's going to focus more on the Imperial/Thalmor war, or it's going to be the aftermath of Skyrim. Skyrim really set up a huge war about to happen there, and the events that would logically take place after that would be great fodder for a MMO.

Of course, if the latter happens, that means any expansion packs will probably never cover these events in Skyrim the game itself. Which would suck. I want more of those Dynasty Warrior style castle sieges from the main game.

Archonex on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's set hundreds of year before Skyrim in the second era, nothing more specific than that. During the rise of Talos is my guess.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Have there been any really expansive games in a while? The last one that I played that actually felt like it had a large world was Asheron's Call. I loved just going and going and going until I was in the middle of nowhere. Hunting Golems for motes. Stumbling onto some weird dungeon...

Vanguard had that feel as well and could be played 1st person. Not a big surprise, given it was kinda the spiritual successor to the original EQ.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MMOs, known for crashing and burning due to buggy and shitty first showings causing them to hemorrhage players, and requiring extensive post release support to keep that playerbase.

Bethesda, known for buggy first showings and shrugging their shoulders at their own games post release and going "eh let the modders sort it out"

A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Have there been any really expansive games in a while? The last one that I played that actually felt like it had a large world was Asheron's Call. I loved just going and going and going until I was in the middle of nowhere. Hunting Golems for motes. Stumbling onto some weird dungeon...

Vanguard had that feel as well and could be played 1st person. Not a big surprise, given it was kinda the spiritual successor to the original EQ.

It's sad how that game turned out. So much potential squandered by a botched release. Anyone who stuck with it realized what a gem it was, but it was damn hard to stick with it through the bugs and design flaws.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out the point of this game.

Just ... why? What is it bringing to the table?

Eh, maybe we'll get actual details eventually.

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

bags-of-money.jpg

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm trying to figure out the point of this game.

Eh, maybe we'll get actual details eventually.

I dont know what details are released for this game yet but it could also try to be a console MMO... to this date the only one that I can think of that was built for consoles was EQ:A. Other MMOs have tried but they were PC central MMOs "trying" the console market.

Jubal77 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The MMO ballon is slowly deflating, a gangbuster like WoW was isn't going to happen again, especially if it's going to spend at least a half a decade in development like most MMOs

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The MMO ballon is slowly deflating, a gangbuster like WoW was isn't going to happen again, especially if it's going to spend at least a half a decade in development like most MMOs

True, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't give it a go. And it doesn't need to be WoW to be successful.

488W936.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I don't think there's any evidence that MMOs are going anywhere. GW2 might make people think harder about what they're willing to pay a subscription for, if it delivers, but TOR is going strong, with a million plus subscribers almost half a year in, and it's basically wow with lightsabers and voiced story.

• MandresMandres Registered User regular
    It's too bad, but there's no way that Elder Scrolls gameplay can work in an MMO. If they're really doing this, and it sounds like they are, then it's bound to be just another third-person, hotbar based combat everquest clone. Which is really not even worth the Elder Scrolls name.

I'm guessing they want to capitalize on Skyrim's strong showing and make an MMO for the consoles. Maybe aim it at the release of the next-gen systems. It would be a smart move, and a potential cash cow if it's well done, but it can't work with the same combat/leveling systems that Elder Scrolls games have always used.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    MMOs, known for crashing and burning due to buggy and shitty first showings causing them to hemorrhage players, and requiring extensive post release support to keep that playerbase.

Bethesda, known for buggy first showings and shrugging their shoulders at their own games post release and going "eh let the modders sort it out"

A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN

But just think about how awesome the MMO will be once the modders have had time to mess around with it!

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Mandres wrote: »
    It's too bad, but there's no way that Elder Scrolls gameplay can work in an MMO. If they're really doing this, and it sounds like they are, then it's bound to be just another third-person, hotbar based combat everquest clone. Which is really not even worth the Elder Scrolls name.

I'm guessing they want to capitalize on Skyrim's strong showing and make an MMO for the consoles. Maybe aim it at the release of the next-gen systems. It would be a smart move, and a potential cash cow if it's well done, but it can't work with the same combat/leveling systems that Elder Scrolls games have always used.

Agreed :(

I just want some co-op skyrim. I don't need it to be massive or anything. Just me and a friend or two killing bandits.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Mandres wrote: »

Wait, what? The combat systems in the Elder Scrolls games were "awkwardly flail at enemy until it suddenly ragdolls". In what way does that not work in an MMO? Or, better question, why would you even want it to?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    jothki wrote: »
    But just think about how awesome the MMO will be once the modders have had time to mess around with it!

"Wow, sweet Infinite Health mod you used to gank me there, where did you download it?"

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote: »

bags-of-money.jpg

The bag of money is a lie.

• Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, fuck. Another one gone to shit. You can say it wont effect the real series, but that's wishful thinking. The chances of an elder scrolls or Kotor game coming out are pretty damn low now.

2002 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

2015? ES online

I mean, its not promising. On the other hand, this might really encourage the skyrim modding community.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
    Once again...it's a different studio than the one that makes the regular ES games.

Cabezone wrote: »
    Once again...it's a different studio than the one that makes the regular ES games.

But would they want to compete for the same market space? I think it's more around the idea that the next ES game we get would be delayed a cycle.

Personally, though, I'd really love another Fallout anyway so that's fine by mine.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Finally announced here http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Text for those blocked at work
    Long rumored and much anticipated, The Elder Scrolls Online is finally being unveiled in the June issue of Game Informer. In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

Come back tomorrow morning for a brief teaser trailer from Zenimax Online and Bethesda Softworks, and later on in the afternoon for the first screenshot of the game. Over the course of the month, be sure to visit our Elder Scrolls Online hub, which will feature new exclusive content multiple times each week. You'll meet the three player factions, see video interviews with the creative leads, and much more.

The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.

I am pretty damn excited about this and it's great to look forward to an online title without a 4-5 year wait.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Anyone fancy a three way? 3 faction pvp is the way to go. Hope the combat is good and actually really hope it is forced first person.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    A little bird with family working at the dev team for this has mentioned that the people working on the three-way faction PvP are the same devs who designed RvR for DAoC.

Just putting that out there.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think the article mentions some ex-mythic folk.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited May 2012
    An announcement about the actual announcement...awesome. Please let the gameplay be something other than WoW or SWTOR style.

Cabezone on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    guuuuh, I'm so excited.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    A little bird with family working at the dev team for this has mentioned that the people working on the three-way faction PvP are the same devs who designed RvR for DAoC.

That means good things!

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

My money. All of it. Is forfeit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »
    Riale wrote: »
    My worst fear is that an Elder Scrolls MMO will mean no more single player installments. Bioware already killed any hope of a future KOTOR singleplayer installment, I don't want Bethesda to murder my favorite western RPG series.

There's still plenty of room for a new KOTOR. It's evident if you play through the storyline. Also, there's 3000 years of history to go before the prequel time period hits. It just won't take place in the "arc" they have going now, most likely.

I'm thinking there's one of two scenarios for this thing. Since it returns to Skyrim, and appears to be in the same time period, either it's going to focus more on the Imperial/Thalmor war, or it's going to be the aftermath of Skyrim. Skyrim really set up a huge war about to happen there, and the events that would logically take place after that would be great fodder for a MMO.

Of course, if the latter happens, that means any expansion packs will probably never cover these events in Skyrim the game itself. Which would suck. I want more of those Dynasty Warrior style castle sieges from the main game.

The first announcement said it takes place in the second era, which is way before Skyrim.

It'd be cool if it was about the early expansion of the Empire - or maybe pre-Septim would be even cooler.

I hope they do the provinces right. Especially Cyrrodil, which was kind of boring in Oblivion but has great lore behind it if they do it right.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd see a GW style system working far better for this than the typical MMO stateless world design.

Best to have instances and a world that changes with your actions that you can invite people into and perhaps stateless hubs like cities and phase it for people that haven't accomplished major quests ... or something I don't know. It'll probably end up like World of Oblivioncraft in the end.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Basically, what would be cool for me is an Elder Scrolls game with multiplayer. And the presence of multiplayer would probably also mean that you had to be more careful designing the combat system to be less breakable. If they keep everything else they were doing and just add multiplayer that would be great.

If it's a wow clone set in Tamriel instead of Azeroth... not so much.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd see a GW style system working far better for this than the typical MMO stateless world design.

Best to have instances and a world that changes with your actions that you can invite people into and perhaps stateless hubs like cities and phase it for people that haven't accomplished major quests ... or something I don't know. It'll probably end up like World of Oblivioncraft in the end.

sandbox.jpg

488W936.png
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    The problem with new MMOs is: What new things can they bring to the table? The MMO market is already saturated, especially with free to play games. MMOs require large investments of capital to develop and maintain, and given how many generic MMOs have come and failed, there is a risk that Bethesda might lose a bundle on this one.

Furthermore, initial success might not result in continued success. Rift is the biggest example of such a statement here. The Old Republic might fall into this category as well.

I already know what MMO I will be sinking my time into in the future, and unless this new TES MMO includes something highly innovative or revelatory, I'm going to pass on this one.

• EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I really want this game to be good, and not just a generic MMO rehash.

Really, really want this game to be good.

fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    ...player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself

Stopping right there. If it's another "Hey! Pick which 1/3rd of the game you don't want to see because we can't think of any better way to do PvP then divide up the player base into arbitrary factions" then count me the fuck out.

/high5 GW2 Wuvwuv

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I feel that the MMO scene has pretty much played itself out. Obviously I don't have any hard numbers, but from my play experience SWTOR is on the way out, and I was really excited about that game. Moreover, Bioware sold out to EA (in part) to get the resources to make that game, as I understand.

Nothing good has come of that, and I'd hate to see Bethesda make a similar deal with the Devil. I've loved the Elder Scrolls since Morrowind, and I'm really apprehensive that this is the end.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Combat in TOR bores the hell out of me. I can't bring myself to log in, and I haven't got past Tatooine on any character.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I'd love for this to be good, but all my giddy fanboy optimism has long-since been stripped away.

I will keep an eye on it of course, hoping beyond hope that something new and different is brought to the table.

Or, you know, that they somehow combine SW:TOR's story, GW2's dynamic questing, and TERA's combat into one game.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I don't care if it's ElderWoW.

Just give me DAoC's PvP system.

Fuck maybe I'll just re-up my DAoC sub. Do people still play that?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    ironzerg wrote: »
    ...player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself

Stopping right there. If it's another "Hey! Pick which 1/3rd of the game you don't want to see because we can't think of any better way to do PvP then divide up the player base into arbitrary factions" then count me the fuck out.

/high5 GW2 Wuvwuv

People want to play these games TOGETHER. Yet they always, and I mean always, think of a way to split people up.

Factions. Levels. Instance/quest requirements. Travel/location barriers. The list goes on. It's an inconvenience for the devoted players to work past these, but my more casual friends were rarely apart of the fun. And I felt bad, really bad, because I convinced them to sign up.

In steps GW2, fixing nearly all of those barriers. In short, any MMO from here on out needs to subscribe to that philosophy. Right off the bat this new MMO proposes one of those barriers... ugh.

This discussion has been closed.