As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What would you do with $640 Million Dollars?

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    never go nowhere unless there be mad sluts up in

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I'd buy a house in London, renovate it into flats/apartments and then rent the rooms out at an extortionate cost to people. Then when I get bored, kick them out and live there myself. The rest would go in the bank, because I am boring like that.

ice cold

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    sure, expected value, but do I really give a shit if I lose this dollar?

not talking about people who play it every week

Yeah that too. The people who play when it's like, $20 Mil or whatever it starts at, are pretty dumb. Spending like $1 a year on a ticket when it gets over $400MM isn't that dumb.

I think the once a year huge prize playing type is really just doing it for the fun. Get your friends around, have a lottery party, etc.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

and i wouldn't have a problem giving that small group money

pay for friends? fuck that shit

Yeah for real. This prize is big enough to where I could build a neighborhood for just me and my closest friends/immediate family and set everyone up with enough money to never have to work again.

At which point all of your friends will either:

1) Feel compelled to be friends with you weather or not they continuously feel that way due to owing you such a huge debt
    2) Feel compelled to try and get more money out of you
    3) Both.

Well that's their problem, not mine.

When you're rich, mad sluts be everywhere.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I've got $10 in tickets so I feel like I've got a good shot to win.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

Being broke and having friends is easy. The expectation there is friendship for friendship's sake. When you have that kind of bonkers cash, everyone eyes you for the money. Everyone. They can't help it, it's just how people work. They don't see you as that cool guy Dead Legend, they see you as Dead Legend-the guy with the ridiculous amount of money. Maybe he can take us out to dinner, maybe he can buy us a video game, or invest in my company, or put my daughter through college....

That happens. That's how it works. It starts small, and then everyone starts looking at you as the bank. One way or another, when you end up with that kind of wealth when the rest of your friendship community does not, you pay for your friends, either to keep them or for new ones.

And assuming you find the small percentage of folks that arent like that, the doubt will still be there from the majority of folks who act that way. You will always doubt, from the moment you cash that check, why people are hanging out with you. Because of you? Or because of your money.

And you will never know the truth.

So make sure nobody knows about the money ever? I think that would solve that particular problem.

That's the only way to do it, but odds are you will buy a Ferrari or a house or any number of other redonkulous things posted about in this thread and show your hand.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd give a lump sum of money to various friends and family then tell them not to bother me about money again. I'm talking like a million or so per person here. Not some chump change.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    like, man, I probably wouldn't even give my dad money to make up for what he's gonna lose in the divorce

wait no, I totally would but I would make him put up a big picture of me and have a special named after me cause that would be cool

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    a yacht named King Shit Of Dick Mountain

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If I don't win, I hope nobody wins this draw.

Which might be impossible, because apparently more than 400 million tickets have been purchased since Tuesday. More than twice the 1 in 176,000,000 odds.

But if I don't win this draw, I hope that it has to go one more. I want to see a $Billion payout. I want them to have to make new billboards because they don't have room for the 10th digit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Actually I would buy @Stale a food truck and invest in him.

Oh and perform stand-up comedy at Open Mics all over the country because hey, no need for a job.

:^:

easysig2.jpg
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I would fix NASA and get off this goddamn rock.

I'd bribe Khoo and move PAX East to Atlanta.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Lottery winnings are taxable in the US, right?

iwantanswers3.png
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Yeah for real. This prize is big enough to where I could build a neighborhood for just me and my closest friends/immediate family and set everyone up with enough money to never have to work again.

1) Feel compelled to be friends with you weather or not they continuously feel that way due to owing you such a huge debt
    3) Both.

You wouldn't be bothered by the fact the people around you may well hate you and not show it due to debt? That the woman who supposedly loves you may feel entirely trapped by your relationship and stay only for the money and comfort you are providing? Every day, every glance, a question. Is there any honesty in your little "paradise" you have created? Or is just all debt and farce?

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I'd buy a house in London, renovate it into flats/apartments and then rent the rooms out at an extortionate cost to people. Then when I get bored, kick them out and live there myself. The rest would go in the bank, because I am boring like that.

ice cold

I gotta heart of stone.

3) Both.

You wouldn't be bothered by the fact the people around you may well hate you and not show it due to debt? That the woman who supposedly loves you may feel entirely trapped by your relationship and stay only for the money and comfort you are providing? Every day, every glance, a question. Is there any honesty in your little "paradise" you have created? Or is just all debt and farce?

Nope! I don't live in a crappy art-house movie.

my first purchase would be the most expensive bottle of champagne i could find

• SwillSwill Registered User regular

Lmao that you don't already do this

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    To be honest this particular prize fund is so insanely huge that I can't even parse it and I'd be happy with the tiniest fraction of it

I mean over here we consider £100 million to be record-breakingly massive winnings

But it baffles me how so many people convince themselves that suddenly becoming rich is a bad thing

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Griswold wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    idiot tax

every discussion about the lottery has got to have one goose that makes this fucking comment

it's not an original thought, it reeks of condescension, and most people who've bought lottery tickets realize that their odds of winning aren't exactly great

i don't see anybody busting your balls for whatever stupid way you choose to waste a few bucks

I'm happy I pissed off at least one person with that comment

alternate statement: take me less seriously

Al_wat on
    Larlar wrote: »

Yeah plus there is a lump sum option so 640 million probably becomes about 320 million or so by the time you're done.

3) Both.

Nope! I don't live in a crappy art-house movie.

Also, my wife could just divorce me and get half of it if she didn't want to be with me anymore. Half of a lot is still a lot!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

3) Both.

How do you know that when you're poor? Have some faith that your friends aren't all fakes and that you're not actually a secret asshole and your problem is solved.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I don't drive, and it'll probably be a regular modest house because I can't imagine living in something like a mansion. I'd buy shitloads of novelty crap, and videogames and movies and stuff, but that's actually par for the course. It would only mean I wouldn't have to worry about overextending myself as much. My biggest hobbies don't really improve much with the sudden influx of funds.

Basically, the things that make me happy don't actually cost me much, and wow I think I just learned something about myself.

b1ehrMM.gif
    $25,000 would be life changing to me right now. I could buy a used SUV, pay off our debt and put a downpayment on a decent house.

That's all I really want.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    "Hi Denny's, I was just calling to confirm that there are mad sluts up in. Could you please check and let me know mmkay thanks."

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    oh nooo maybe my friends don't really like me fuck that I am richer than countries

0BnD8l3.gif
    $25,000 would be life changing to me right now. I could buy a used SUV, pay off our debt and put a downpayment on a decent house.

$25 000 would still leave me $10 000 in the hole with tuition fees.

Just another few years and I can declare bankruptcy though!

Sweet, sweet bankruptcy.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

3) Both.

Well, if you think about it, like, all human relationships are fundamentally built on the terror attendant to being alone in death. Nothing is fully sincere. There. Problem solved.

Rolo wrote: »

Sweet, sweet bankruptcy.

I don't have any school debts because I never went to college...which is also why I work part-time at Best Buy right now.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    oh nooo maybe my friends don't really like me fuck that I am richer than countries

brown countries maybe

call me when you're richer than a majority white nation

2x39jD4.jpg
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    idiot tax

every discussion about the lottery has got to have one goose that makes this fucking comment

it's not an original thought, it reeks of condescension, and most people who've bought lottery tickets realize that their odds of winning aren't exactly great

i don't see anybody busting your balls for whatever stupid way you choose to waste a few bucks

I'm happy I pissed off at least one person with that comment

alternate statement: take me less seriously

no. I MUST RAGE DISPROPORTIONATELY

it's ok, we'll see who has the last laugh when i use my winnings to buy a trebuchet and siege your residence

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Are you required to have your name published as the winner?

Nothing. Matters.
    Swill wrote: »

Lmao that you don't already do this
    :|

No, you can remain anonymous.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i'd buy an aquarium

like a full size one, i might also ride a whale

reposig.jpg
    Rolo wrote: »

Sweet, sweet bankruptcy.

I don't have any school debts because I never went to college...which is also why I work part-time at Best Buy right now.

If I had any sense at all I'd have gone into a good trade. Pipefitting.

But nope, art school.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Larlar wrote: »

Yeah plus there is a lump sum option so 640 million probably becomes about 320 million or so by the time you're done.

That's so shitty. God bless tax-free Canadian lotteries.

Not that I would really complain a whole lot about being taxed after winning 640 million dollars, but just seeing that money split in half almost immediately would be so bittersweet.

iwantanswers3.png