As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Creamstout wrote: »
    Ok, I checked the OP and didn't see any waiting list or instructions on how to get into the beta; so I'm just gonna be a bum and ask if anyone has a beta invite. I've never played a MOBA game before and the Steam thread referred me to this as the one I probably want to check out.

If someone doesn't give you an invite you can go here:
    http://www.dota2.com/survey/experience/
    Take the survey and put your name on the list.

If you have a playdota account you can get one by posting in this thread:
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549077
    You will not be eligible for the draw if you haven't signed up by 2/22/2012, but they extend this date as the contest goes on, I believe it has been moved up around a year (started with x/xx/2011).

For what it is worth I recieved 2 beta invites, 1 from each of these methods.

Cool, thanks. Weird though, the system thing is saying I don't have SLI enabled, yet I do.

EDIT: Huh, I just noticed in my nvidia settings the option to turn on SLI isn't there. But my system says I have two cards, and if I fiddle with, say, the physx settings I can choose either card.

Does the most recent WHQL nvidia drivers not have it as an option anymore? Is it just automatically on? EDIT2: Internet says no. Apparently the 295's have an issue with SLI. I've been going no-sli for awhile now. That's messed up.

EDIT3: yep, those drivers were borked. Newest ones SLI works again. Man I've been going without SLI for over a month. That's..man. Now I've gotta see if I can actually run Skyrim with the HD textures now. I was wondering why that ran so damn poorly.

Also tahnks to @Beefers for the DOTA2 invite.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• pppppppppp Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Hey, I have two extra invites for Dota 2 but none of my friends are into Dota. So I thought that I would hand them out here. The first two people to send me a PM with their Steam IDs will get them.

--Invites are gone, enjoy.

ppppp on
  • shinchronosshinchronos Registered User new member
    Just want to say much thanks to ppppp for the beta invite. Goodbye LoL, back to Dota.

• xanthoranxanthoran Registered User new member
    Hey, I know this probably get's said alot, but does anyone have any spare Dota2 keys? I'm a long time LOLer looking for something else...

Thanks!

steam acc: xanthoran

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    How come I haven't gotten invites to hand out? Valve, why won't you give me power over the mortals?

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I feel like a dolt now because I don't get the invites. I used a gift someone else gave me, then won an original account a week later and gave that to someone else. Who never plays. He's the one getting the extra invites, while I get nothing. :<

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I feel like a dolt now because I don't get the invites. I used a gift someone else gave me, then won an original account a week later and gave that to someone else. Who never plays. He's the one getting the extra invites, while I get nothing. :<

Do I need to tap into some secret vein? I have an "original" account that came with two invites but I've gotten absolutely nothing new in the realm of invitations. Are certain account types being targeted?

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Some of it was based on the regions people were playing on. US West had increased capacity first, so I believe people playing more there were given more invites sooner.
    I got two the day after a shit load of Australians got invited. Like I've said, first invites I've seen go first hand to Aussies in any number, hopefully we get servers soon and I don't have to play with a huge ping for much longer.

• SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    man, hero icons when alt is held down isn't even a new feature

how do people not know about it

it's like not knowing you can draw dicks on the minimap with ctrl

PA: the only community that will bitch about the omission of features that are, in fact, not omitted

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    If you want to focus on wording rather than the meat of the argument, that's your prerogative.

I get it, you make your own rules about who can have an opinion and why yours is the only valid one. When you were focused on the wording rather than the topic then it was ok, but when others point something out its no longer ok because it makes you look silly.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The minimap is for noobs anyhow. Remove it. This will force more communication. Also make the courier have to carry your messages to the rest of your team (for increased immersion) and take siege tank AI back to Broodwar levels so Zealot bombing works again.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Senshi wrote: »

PA: the only community that will bitch about the omission of features that are, in fact, not omitted

Do you ever feel like adding anything to this thread other than being a shining example of the why the original Dota community was/is so universally reviled?

Page- wrote: »

Hey, you got in super early at least right? Took forever to get my beta invite. For some reason they then gave me invites to give out in the last round. Still have one left, but I'm saving it for a friend.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    What...Senshi showed up several hours after an initial conversation to tell all of us how dumb we were for not knowing a feature in a game many of us have only played a couple of times, while taking some pot shots at "newbies"?! Why, I never.

Call the 11 o'clock news, I think we have a story.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa misunderstood aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

played a couple of games as spectre

blehhhhhhhhhhhhh

that kinda sums her up i think

Biosys on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    he's not wrong though

half of the stuff people complain about not being in the game, is already in the game (or will/should be when it's out of beta)

the other half is people touting their own opinions as objective facts (x is bad game design...because I don't like it)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    he's not wrong though

half of the stuff people complain about not being in the game, is already in the game (or will/should be when it's out of beta)

the other half of stuff is just people's opinions being touted as fact

Who cares if he's right or wrong? The only thing he ever posts, like, ever, is backhanded comments to people and general assholey bullshit. I've never, ever (and I've been lurking this thread a while) seen him try and make a point without being a total goose about it. Not once.

He's the quintessential "I think I am better than you because I play DotA" personality that turns so many people off, and it's about time people start calling him on it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited March 2012
    being a dick while simultaneously answering people's questions (which he often does) is better posting than like 90% of the posts in the dota2 threads.

it's still dickish, but yeah. certainly better posting than the endless brag / why isn't this game like LoL/Blizzard DotA/my dream game posts

P10 on
  • Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    Biosys wrote: »

blehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Only time i like Spec is if a PA person will babysit me in lane so I can get huge and become unstoppable, it's hard to come back from a bad early game. Using her ult to pop in and clean up after ganks is probably the most interesting way I've seen her played.

tf2_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Biosys wrote: »

blehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Only time i like Spec is if a PA person will babysit me in lane so I can get huge and become unstoppable, it's hard to come back from a bad early game. Using her ult to pop in and clean up after ganks is probably the most interesting way I've seen her played.

We had a PA game go down like that the other night. Can't remember who was Spec., but he got a to a point of being absolutely unstoppable. Dat ult is ridiculous.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A farmed, tanky Spectre is absurd, because she never dies and murders your whole team just by being attacked.

Dark_Side wrote: »

Do you ever feel like adding anything to this thread other than being a shining example of the why the original Dota community was/is so universally reviled?

I was a dick a long time before I started playing Dota.

Besides, all the pointless whining that goes on in this thread semi-rustles my jimmies. If you want runes to be on the minimap, you should go to dev.dota2.com and tell them because no amount of illogical argumentation on this board is going to accomplish anything. If you want to discuss builds for heroes, do that. If you want help in the console, ask. If you want to yell at Peewi for being Danish, you should. If you're gonna bitch about features that have been in the game since the beginning of the year but you simply haven't found them because like all Americans these days you simply ignore the instruction book and sue the company when you submerge your toaster in the bathtub, then what the fuck are you doing, son?

I don't think I'm better than you because I play Dota. I know I'm better than you because I take the time to check the options to see what's available, maybe tinker around in the console to further customize my game, and I don't get butthurt over trivial shit on online forums. Try independent thought sometime. It's fun.

fuck the danes

just sayin

fucking peewi rages me so much

I wish he'd come online so we could play together

also let's talk about how to best make leshrac ball out of control

getting the stun if you're solo laning bot with a jungler seems almost a bit of a waste, seeing as a well-timed edict while legging it will usually net you a doublekill

Not dying is the better part of valour, so stun first is a good idea, especially if you're going for first blood. He's not exactly a fast hero, and for edict to work he needs to stand right next to them with no creeps around. Unless you've got someone else coming in with a guaranteed disable you'll still probably get more out of a stun (which, to be fair, also requires a disable to set up properly).

Past that the decision is yours. Maxing edict first is great for aggression, and if you want to farm or push then getting lighting over stun is perfectly valid. The thing is so hard to land anyway that using it strictly as a followup is the best use of mana. It stuns the same at all levels, the aoe increase is not so much that it offsets his absurd casting animation or the extra mana cost at low levels. And it's fine because there's no reason to get nova at 6 anyway.

Getting an early rod of atos is fun on him.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Senshi, you can talk to others without being a dick.

Acknowledgement of being a dick doesn't magically stop your being a dick from being a bad thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Creamstout wrote: »
    Ok, I checked the OP and didn't see any waiting list or instructions on how to get into the beta; so I'm just gonna be a bum and ask if anyone has a beta invite. I've never played a MOBA game before and the Steam thread referred me to this as the one I probably want to check out.

If someone doesn't give you an invite you can go here:
    http://www.dota2.com/survey/experience/
    Take the survey and put your name on the list.

If you have a playdota account you can get one by posting in this thread:
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549077
    You will not be eligible for the draw if you haven't signed up by 2/22/2012, but they extend this date as the contest goes on, I believe it has been moved up around a year (started with x/xx/2011).

For what it is worth I recieved 2 beta invites, 1 from each of these methods.

sweet, good to know, thanks!

so who gets the veil of discord? I've never seen it made. I've seen more divine rapiers than I have rods of atos or veils of dicord.
    what other items you guys NEVER see?

valiance on
    veil of discord is really situational and ugly - the heroes who it would be good on (SK, Earthshaker, etc) have a hard time landing good Veil of Discords before dealing most of their damage

people hate vlads even though it's really strong (aura items are really good in general). even without melee heroes on your team, vlads can be worth it for a support to carry late game because of the armor and +% base damage.

same thing with AC and Shivas. ridiculously strong items but people almost never get them.

rod of atos is really good but it's new - so people don't understand who it's good on. it's pretty good for almost anyone who would get a sheepstick - although it's much better suited to countering enemy melee heroes.

never see pubs get ghost scepters to counter phys damage, even though it's a godlike item. no one ever gets hotd -> satanic on carry, even though ancient stacking is really strong. never see skadis, never see mjollnirs.

never see refresher, but that's for a good reason.

Typically what I do is I go stun at 1, then max lightning with off-points in edict and get my ult at 10/11. Question is, should I really disassemble my Arcane Boots for the Bloodstone and then build into Boots of Travel, or should I just shell out the extra grand and buy another Energy Booster? It just seems like bumming around with regular boots while I farm up my Blade Mail (because no way am I getting Travel before Blade Mail as Leshrac) is kinda sub-optimal.

I make veil sometimes. It's a fun item, but strictly against teams who clump and never get magic resist or bkbs. For some heroes it's actually better damage/gold than an aghs upgrade, but having no stats and a meh buildup hurts it a lot. It's just hard to decide when to start making it, unless there's a lot of extra gold lying around.

In other news, looks like fnatic's hon team is switching over full time to dota 2, but without h4nn1--which is only odd because he was a very good dota 1 player who switched to hon, while the rest of fnatic's lineup is hon players with little dota experience. Possibly he's just busy or something. It's interesting news since fnatic is arguably the best hon team around these days, but they have no dota experience. Used to be a lot of top hon players came over from dota. Time will tell how long it takes them to get up to form in dota 2, and who they finally end up with as their 5th player.

Jascha “NoVa” Markuse, FnaticRaidCall Dota 2 support player:
    Everyone knew that sooner or later we had to make a decision regarding a possible switch to a more competitive game such as Dota 2. With the current Fnatic Dota 2 team being released it was only natural for us to get into the act and take the next step in our professional gaming career. We will keep playing Heroes of Newerth tournaments whenever it fits the schedule but reduce our training to a maximum of one day per week.

Ultimately we're just very excited to become a part of that and prove ourselves in this game. Dota 2, here we come!

stream
    edited March 2012
    I have yet to try Veil, but I'm sure it rapes face

and I'm sure Atos is hilarious. I might give it a try sometime. I'm sure dat mana is delicious, too

Senshi on
    Lesh like one of five heroes who can actually use a bloodstone to its full potential, so getting one is a fine idea. You can also get phase boots for extra last hitting and chasing with edict, since there are other ways to fix his mana problems (and he has good int gain, so levelling is always the best option). It really depends on what you want to do. Lesh can even go blink for initiation if he wants, he can go pure nukes with maxed lightning and stun (not the best, but it'll keep him from being focused if he's behind in ehp), and he can farm well enough to get a pipe or something that will help with pushing.

stream
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Okay so I literally can't stand reading this rune stuff, as it has been gone over a thousand times.

HOW ABOUT THIS SITUATION:

You have a ward over the rune so you can see it on the minimap, you have an observer ward spying on it.
    Someone who is either smoked or invisible picks it up. It disappears.
    You have now seen an incoming enemy that you shouldn't have been able to see coming in unless you were actually watching the rune.
    You've made smoke and invisibility less powerful.

dis is very astute

Because what everyone does when they see a rune has spawned is just let it sit there until the enemy picks it up, right? Maybe it slightly affects how often you can get away with picking up a warded rune while stealthed in a low-level game. It's a tiny change and it's not even clear that it's a bad one. The scope, magnitude and direction of a gameplay change is more important than just whether or not there is any change whatsoever. Remember, Valve has already indirectly affected DOTA gameplay in small amounts with other changes. What they care about is preserving the core gameplay and balance of DOTA, not making a carbon copy of it.
    Badwrong wrote: »
    If you want to focus on wording rather than the meat of the argument, that's your prerogative.

I get it, you make your own rules about who can have an opinion and why yours is the only valid one. When you were focused on the wording rather than the topic then it was ok, but when others point something out its no longer ok because it makes you look silly.

Uhh no. I made a long post filled with valid points. You ignored all of them and focused on a few words I used that offended you, then refused to engage in any constructive arguments. If you want to do that, fine, but don't blame me for it.
    If you want runes to be on the minimap, you should go to dev.dota2.com and tell them because no amount of illogical argumentation on this board is going to accomplish anything. If you want to discuss builds for heroes, do that. If you want help in the console, ask. If you want to yell at Peewi for being Danish, you should. If you're gonna bitch about features that have been in the game since the beginning of the year but you simply haven't found them because like all Americans these days you simply ignore the instruction book and sue the company when you submerge your toaster in the bathtub, then what the fuck are you doing, son?

I don't think I'm better than you because I play Dota. I know I'm better than you because I take the time to check the options to see what's available, maybe tinker around in the console to further customize my game, and I don't get butthurt over trivial shit on online forums. Try independent thought sometime. It's fun.

I did post the idea over there. And the idea that you shouldn't discussion game features or balance in these forums is ridiculous. I'm arguing about it because I enjoy doing so and someone else asked me about it. Besides, I don't really think you're in a fantastic position to criticize someone over having worthless posts.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Senshi, not all Americans are as bad as you seem to think they are at everything in life.

But on the subject of Dota 2, number 10 in this is fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaGzR4AJ4A

steam_sig.png
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Skadi seems like a fairly poor item to me.

For most carries it doesn't offer enough damage: It's a suggested item on Sniper yet the amount of damage he gets from it is terrible. He scales better with attack speed and has very little use for health considering his role. I picked one up against melee carries but it simply meant I didn't do enough damage to save my team even with the slow. Perhaps a more bruiser character could get some use out of it. I think I saw a Lone Druid throw one on his bear? It's pretty rare though...

For most supports it simply is far too expensive. I saw an Omni-knight completely dominate his lane and rush one out along side a Heart of Tarrasque (I have no idea how he got so much gold!). That was a pretty funny game. Degeneration Aura + Melee Skadi is pretty horrifying if you're not playing Dark Seer like I was. S'plenty of attack speed slowing power too.

I guess I don't really get who would actually rush it. It's suggested on Ancient Apparition ( Synergy with his stun? ) but that seems like a really expensive means to an end.

Mjjollnir's actually pretty nice, although I generally just settle for a Maelstrom.

Corp.Shephard on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I love those videos. They're like the DOTA 1 videos that Page posts except I can understand what's going on.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    The heroes who "rush" skadi aren't in the game. And rush is in quotes because what they do is anything but rushing, which is why nobody plays them anymore. Although TB with a skadi is a huge douchebag and it's pretty much core on him, but he's not in dota 2 so it doesn't matter.

The only reason anyone else gets skadi is for the gimmicky orb stacking with mjollnir, or a Windrunner who just doesn't give a shit and goes aghs, skadi, mjollnir (as mjollnir and mkb are the only items that the aghs effect even matters for, and skadi is the only thing that stacks with mjollnir).

stream
    edited March 2012
    senshi thank you for leshrac post, made me remember to check him out

just played two games with him and he is super fun

pushing towers, winning teamfights

it's nice to play a hero that actually does something after playing spectre

Biosys on
    edited March 2012
    I'd also like to add that veil + veno ult = team wipe. With aghs it's a 4 second team wipe.

Page- on
    stream
    edited March 2012
    Okay so I literally can't stand reading this rune stuff, as it has been gone over a thousand times.

HOW ABOUT THIS SITUATION:

You have a ward over the rune so you can see it on the minimap, you have an observer ward spying on it.
    Someone who is either smoked or invisible picks it up. It disappears.
    You have now seen an incoming enemy that you shouldn't have been able to see coming in unless you were actually watching the rune.
    You've made smoke and invisibility less powerful.

dis is very astute

Because what everyone does when they see a rune has spawned is just let it sit there until the enemy picks it up, right? Maybe it slightly affects how often you can get away with picking up a warded rune while stealthed in a low-level game. It's a tiny change and it's not even clear that it's a bad one. The scope, magnitude and direction of a gameplay change is more important than just whether or not there is any change whatsoever. Remember, Valve has already indirectly affected DOTA gameplay in small amounts with other changes. What they care about is preserving the core gameplay and balance of DOTA, not making a carbon copy of it.
    Badwrong wrote: »

Uhh no. I made a long post filled with valid points. You ignored all of them and focused on a few words I used that offended you, then refused to engage in any constructive arguments. If you want to do that, fine, but don't blame me for it.
    If you want runes to be on the minimap, you should go to dev.dota2.com and tell them because no amount of illogical argumentation on this board is going to accomplish anything. If you want to discuss builds for heroes, do that. If you want help in the console, ask. If you want to yell at Peewi for being Danish, you should. If you're gonna bitch about features that have been in the game since the beginning of the year but you simply haven't found them because like all Americans these days you simply ignore the instruction book and sue the company when you submerge your toaster in the bathtub, then what the fuck are you doing, son?

I did post the idea over there. And the idea that you shouldn't discussion game features or balance in these forums is ridiculous. I'm arguing about it because I enjoy doing so and someone else asked me about it. Besides, I don't really think you're in a fantastic position to criticize someone over having worthless posts.

but my posts are hilarious and informative

there are two people on this very page who have said that I post well

so

nope.avi

Edit: I literally just played a game as veno, albeit without a veil

I forgot how hilarious he is

Senshi on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My only opinion on this whole argument is that "bad design decision," as a phrase, is equivalent to saying "your opinion is wrong" and makes about as much sense.

Also that it is an entirely irrelevant discussion.