As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, March 30, 2012 - Jokers To The Left Of Me

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think this comic needs some context.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Gabe started an online country club for the new Tiger Woods game. It filled with random people from the internet almost instantly.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Can internet people be caddies for players in the game? I would have figured players in a club would only be golfers.

• Options
    OufourOufour Registered User regular
    Maybe people can talk with each other and become make shift caddies? I don't play gold games so I wouldn't know.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    the clowns were to the left

the jokers were to the right

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I can't hear that song, even in my head, without thinking of that horrifying scene from Reservoir Dogs.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    TashernTashern Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Can internet people be caddies for players in the game? I would have figured players in a club would only be golfers.

I feel like that would be the most boring thing ever.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Tashern wrote: »

The next version of the game will allow you to be the accountant for the country club

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    I think the caddies are AI/NPC, but apparently not very good ones.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular

The next version of the game will allow you to be the accountant for the country club

I hear there will be masseuse positions open in the country club's locker room.

• Options
    TashernTashern Registered User regular

Features include:
    - The ability the pick what shade of white you want your office to be
    - Pen or pencil?
    - What ramen flavor do you devour alone tonight? THE CHOICE IS YOURS
    - After a year you have the ability to kill yourself or start a new game + in which you buy a new calculator

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »

Happy ending optional.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Happy ending optional.

Paid on disc DLC.

It's such bullshit. All the components required are right there in the original transaction, but to unlock the ability to interact with it as you desire they'll demand to squeeze more cash out of you.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    - After a year you have the ability to kill yourself or start a new game + in which you buy a new calculator

...still a better ending than ME3!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I don't even care what the next shot is, I'll go with that iron that is slightly teethed over any of the other clubs with vomit on the grips every time.

Those par 5s would suck though!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Happy ending optional.

Paid on disc DLC.

It's such bullshit. All the components required are right there in the original transaction, but to unlock the ability to interact with it as you desire they'll demand to squeeze more cash out of you.

that's not all they'll be squeezing out of you

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Newspost is up
    Tycho wrote:
    We’ve had such terrible experiences in one way or another with so many iterations of EA’s Tiger Woods franchise that they’ve probably scared me off permanently. I was one of the annual purchasers who felt the shock of their next-gen transition, the one that decimated the course roster, but choked it down; it wasn’t until it became clear that their mechanism for multiplayer matching and gameplay simply didn’t work that I gave up.

Gabriel likes golf much more than I do - he actually likes Golf, capital g, as opposed to Eating Snacks From The Snack Cart (which is the game I like) or Driving The Carts Inappropriately (another favorite). I enjoy golf games, for the reasons I’ve delineated previously: there are very, very few inputs in a game like this, which suffuses each one of them with tremendous import. But I play them for the same reason I accompany my friends on an actual course. It is a primarily social engagement. So if that part if your game doesn’t work, for me, the game evaporates.

No so for my compatriot, because the game being simulated is still golf. And it’s especially Golfy this time around, by which I mean that it takes its cues from the sport itself from a feature perspective. Gabriel is especially pleased with the new (ahem) “stroke,” which consists of a single, beautiful, DaVinci-style arc informed by human mechanics and no other bullshit. Where they’ve really gotten hold of him is with their Country Clubs, which in any other game would be called a clan. He’s creating daily and weekly tournaments, they’re levelling the club in a cooperative way, and they earn bonuses individually from the structure. The developer experimented with Social Challenges previously, I don’t know if that was ever a thing, but this new methodology is both incredibly powerful and fits the setting.

He’s already suggested that the Kinect portion of the Xbox offering isn’t going to set the world ablaze, but he did mention a couple novel interactions; you shield your eyes to look out over the course, and you crouch down to read a green. They make you choose a control scheme ahead of time, which means you can’t mix and match. Functionally, that means he will never use it, when he might have leveraged a combination of gestures, voice, and pad given the opportunity. I hope these types of either/or manifestations are an artifact of this ancient hardware and not some bedrock philosophy.

You have two caddies that can make suggestions about clubs and shot placement, and the creatures they have on offer serve up surreal and terrifying advice. The first is raw, amoral id and the second is a paranoid schizophrenic, so the best shot is usually somewhere in the middle.

(CW)TB out.

Based on how ME3 integrated Kinect voice recognition, I'd guess the either/or manifestations are more an artifact of development processes than anything to do with the hardware.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I AM A FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE OF MICROSOFT CORPORATION. ANY OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MY OWN, AND NOT THOSE OF MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES OR AFFLIATES. ANY LIKENESS TO ANY PERSONS OR EVENTS, LIVING OR DEAD, ARE COINCIDENTAL. THIS DISCLAIMER NOT TO BE REMOVED UNDER PENALTY OF LAW EXCEPT BY THE END CONSUMER. THIS TELECAST IS COPYRIGHTED BY THE NFL FOR THE PRIVATE USE OF OUR AUDIENCE. ANY OTHER USE OF THIS TELECAST, OR OF ANY PICTURES, DESCRIPTIONS, OR ACCOUNTS OF THE GAME WITHOUT THE NFL'S CONSENT IS PROHIBITED.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Gabe's disappointed pursing of the lips and little clenched hands are adorable

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DerBeppoDerBeppo Registered User regular
    I am one of the lucky 24 others that made it into the Penny Arcadia CC. As far as the caddies go, I can't tell if they just ignore the wind or if I just really suck at drawing/fading shots.

Then again, the game itself can be pretty easy, depending on the settings. Last I checked, I was in the lead for our weekly tournament. After 4 rounds I finished -50 or so (-10, -20, -11, -9ish).

• Options
    OufourOufour Registered User regular

I think you mean single best chat room ever!

• Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    You said you'd bring back Hector, Gabe! Where's my Hector!?

• Options
    ScionfallScionfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I can totally relate to the driving golf carts inappropriately game :P. Used to work at a metro park near home and picking up the trash on the grounds consisted of jumping in a golf cart, throwing a trash can in the back, grabbing a prodder and racing all over trying to pick up people's litter on the fly. Well...it was til I crashed it into a tree and cost the park $6000 to replace the thing....

When I think about it though I think this would make for a great mini-game/DLC in this game of Golf they're referring to. I vote for making Cadee One and Two unlockable characters for it as well.

Scionfall on