As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IANAL/D/W, so how do I find one?

PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I was thinking of helping my parents find a lawyer to oversee a short sale, but simple google searches give me the spammy sorts of directories and referral services that I know at least medical professionals don't pay any attention to. As far as I know, all starched white collar jobs operate by the antiquated word of mouth/business card model, where you're screwed unless you know a guy, or at least know a guy who knows a guy. Doctors even look down on fellow professionals that advertise directly to the consumer, which they assume to mean that none of their fellows can vouch for their reputation. There's no rubric as far as I know other than scout's honor that makes sure you're getting a good person that know's what he/she is doing since apparently nobody wants to get a piece of a ratings system they can't rig.

Is there a site for these people (I'd prefer lawyers) that you know is legit and gives you a better estimate of skill than random chance? If that stuff is regional, what rubric should I look for to make that estimate of expertise, and which statistics are meaningless racketeering?

Or do I really just have to roll the dice with a phonebook or go to more cocktail parties?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
Paladin on

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If youre in the US, your state's bar website might be able to help find you a lawyer. On the off-chance youre in California, heres a link to its lawyer finding thing (which, really is just a list of referral services, but since theyre listed on the bar website I assume theyve been vetted or something).

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    If youre in the US, your state's bar website might be able to help find you a lawyer. On the off-chance youre in California, heres a link to its lawyer finding thing (which, really is just a list of referral services, but since theyre listed on the bar website I assume theyve been vetted or something).

that's not necessarily true. while being listed on the CalBar website means that the lawyers haven't had any ethical lapses, it doesn't necessarily speak to how good they are.

i would actually consider contacting the higher-tier law schools in your area, see if they have a legal clinic or similar who could refer you to practicing attorneys. those lists usually have been vetted.

what type of issue are your parents facing?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    What state are you in?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    California; I've seen the referral service and was wondering if it was any good. Basically, my parents are one of those people who put their entire nest egg into real estate just before the housing market crash, so now they're holding on to a property with pre-recession interest rates and loan value. Since they qualify as investors Obama's not gonna help.

So they tried to get a loan modification, and they hired some advisor to guide them through it. This person suggested that they should stop mortgage payments? in order to get the bank to pay attention to them since up to that point they were pretty invisible. The bank paid enough attention to slice up their previously great credit score, as expected, and they just now put forth the loan modification that was exactly the same as the previous loan agreement - I guess because the home didn't actually lose a whole lot of value, but if they walked away, the bank would get all that they paid so far and be able to resell at a discount (due to the buyer's market) and still make a profit (not as much as they'd make if my parents completely paid off the house, but you know how people like getting big bunches of money at once).

So this advisor person says yeah my bad and I'm gonna be the realtor for your short sale, which I guess means that yet again they lose all the money they saved over the past 6 or so years without any return, which has happened for the third time now, this time with a somewhat damaged credit score. You can bet they're going to retire late, despite not actually splurging on anything.

I don't know any law at all so that's what I've gleaned from what they've explained to me. I'm cautious about just selecting the first google result since that's what I did when they asked me what vacuum to purchase and that didn't work out at all. So I'll look at the lawyer thing and the bar which I also saw and maybe call them up and find rates.

The other reason why I posted is that my sister got a [REDACTED MEDICAL CONDITION] and the doctor we saw just gave her [HIGH DOSE OF REDACTED PRESCRIPTION] without getting two words from her. Going to people just based on location is the worst idea.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.