As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diplomacy: Spring map 1911 on page 17. Down to E/F/T for the win

• spacemanseanspacemansean Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    game-history-40306-7-R.png

i uh, i thought i would bounce out of greece. get out of there turkey. that is my sea it doesn't even fit you.
    (retreat and build is next)

spacemansean on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I totally just fucked up my orders...

I had meant to bounce you out of Greece. Ah well...

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm curious, why did "Black Sea SUPPORT Armenia to Sevastopol -> Supported unit has failed" happen?

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I'm curious, why did "Black Sea SUPPORT Armenia to Sevastopol -> Supported unit has failed" happen?

I believe that specific response means that Black Sea was able to support Armenia to Sevatopol (it can reach Sevastopol), but the move command it was supporting failed. In this case, the totaled strength was not enough to exceed the unit in Sevastopol receiving a support hold from Moscow. It was 2v2. There is a different response if the support is illegal (Cannot Support Square Sev), and if the unit didn't issue a matching move command.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Been a few days, how fares Europe?

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Germany is super dead. When two of your neighbors decide you're going to die, seems there isn't much to do in this game. When three of your neighbors work together, well....

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Which is why it is called diplomacy; those who don't have friends die a quick and painful death.

(The key is to then convince one of your neighbors that you can help them greatly improve their position by aiding in a stab against their apparent ally.)

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Build Phase!
    view_image.php?game_id=40306&gdate=9&current_phase=B

VayBJ4e.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Darian wrote: »
    Which is why it is called diplomacy; those who don't have friends die a quick and painful death.

(The key is to then convince one of your neighbors that you can help them greatly improve their position by aiding in a stab against their apparent ally.)

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm pretty much just saying I might be bad at this game, at least the diplomacy part. Hence why I prefer A Game of Thrones which can be played as a purer war game instead of a social experiment.

On convincing a neighbour to stab their apparent ally, I think the problem is conventional wisdom says you should find an ally in the early game and not stab them until you've built up your strength and then do it decisively. So if the triple you're involved in (east or west) ends up with the two others against you, I'm not sure there's much that can be done, once the war has started.

To be fair though, I sort of gave up once I was down to three centers. It is entirely possible someone more crafty than me could have wrung out a victory from that position.

Anyway, this isn't meant be whining, I had fun and will probably play again. Just musing. Thanks for the game - I'm cheering for Italy. Avenge us, you last of the central powers!

I am done for, too. Sorry to have failed you! All I can do is wish swift death to Russia, traditore.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I wouldn't go that far, you still seem to be in a decent shape, as a cursory glance seems that only Russia is attacking you. A Russia who appears rather exposed to the North and the South.

An award surely to France for most trusting nature?!

Wow, hadn't looked at the map. Yeah, Russia is in a really strong position. Amusing considering the kind of weird passive moves he made in the beginning. I guess that's what happens if you leave the Russian bear alone.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Russia is full of bears and vodka only! No evil intentions! Now who wants a drunken bear hug?

On a serious note, I was resigned to be out of this game a few turns ago.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    As long as you've got pieces, you can still win. I've seen some strange things happen once you get towards the end of the game. It does appear that the Alliance powers are faring well in this game, as of right now.

I'll change the title and year once the spring map is posted.

view_image.php?game_id=40306&gdate=10&current_phase=O

VayBJ4e.png
    What year are you guys in now, 1906?

Da, comrade

It's okay, I'll just get pushed back into my safe little ....spot in the middle of the board.
    Are any of you guys going to PAX? Maybe we could play a game in person! If we have 4 or 5 hours of downtime somewhere.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    It's okay, I'll just get pushed back into my safe little ....spot in the middle of the board.
    Are any of you guys going to PAX? Maybe we could play a game in person! If we have 4 or 5 hours of downtime somewhere.

I am both going to PAX East and have the physical game.

I even got a hold of an old set of the metal pieces. It's very nice.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    I'm planning on going to Prime myself.

VayBJ4e.png
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Hence why I prefer A Game of Thrones which can be played as a purer war game instead of a social experiment.

On that note, anyone know who put those GoT Wildling cards on HandTracker and if they're planning a GoT game here?
    Could be fun...

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    edited March 2012
    stever777 wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Hence why I prefer A Game of Thrones which can be played as a purer war game instead of a social experiment.

On that note, anyone know who put those GoT Wildling cards on HandTracker and if they're planning a GoT game here?
    Could be fun...

Wasn't me. I've been playing a few consecutive games with some guys who've rigged their own very basic board app together, though. One of these days, I'll try to convince them to share it. I think it might require hosting however.

The last game of AGoT on the boards fizzled (the wildling deck might have been from that game, I guess? Mordenthral hosted, but he seems to have disappeared from Arcadia), but I guess with an interface where people move their own pieces it might have a greater chance.

jakobagger on
    Is that board app thing kind of PbP style or more chat-room, one-sitting style?

stever777 wrote: »
    Is that board app thing kind of PbP style or more chat-room, one-sitting style?

PbP. We've been communicating through email, but the board, cards etc are saved on their own site where each player can then log in and move his stuff around.

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    A bunch of people from the Social Entropy Game of Thrones thread have been playing online via this site:
    http://sovereign.public.is/index.jsp

edited March 2012
    Huh. I guess I should check out SE++ more often.

Edit: checked it out, and I'm not a fan of the hex based map and the fact that the names of everything have been changed. Clever way to avoid copyright infringement problems, but theme is just such a big part of the game for me. Plus I can't be bothered to learn new names just for this.

jakobagger on
    game-history-40306-10-R.png
    So begins the English-Russian War!

VayBJ4e.png
    edited March 2012
    Spring 1907view_image.php?game_id=40306&gdate=12&current_phase=O
    A year of intense fighting is ahead of us.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited March 2012
    Man, am I bad at FR.
    Never seem to be able to take advantage of the natural strengths of it.

E - How dare AU & GE still have regions loyal?!

stever777 on

game-history-40306-13-R.png

Italy survives for another year.

So it seems....

edited April 2012
    well, at least i can go to PAX East without worry about my moves so much. blessing in disguise, maybe.

spacemansean on
    You will be at PAX East? So will I!

We should hang out.

Also, your first mistake was making me your enemy. We could have been such good friends.

edited April 2012
    Previously on Critical Failures - The Sport of Kings

Spring 1908 Orders
    game-history-small-40306-15-O.png
    England Advances!

Fall 1908 Orders
    game-history-small-40306-15-R.png
    Italy Falls!

And now!
    Spring 1909
    view_image.php?game_id=40306&gdate=16&current_phase=O
    The Story Continues!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    I can't remember the last time I saw an England in Sev and the game wasn't over.

Won't be long now. Having thought I was out of the game several turns ago, I've accepted this. My first experience with Diplomacy gets an A-

One question though, how do you play this face to face? Seems like it would be difficult to conspire against someone secretly if I can see Doug and Jimbo talking things over at their end of the table.

It's a somewhat different game to play face to face. Harder to switch sides and becomes a game of who is a better liar when you play face to face. Mostly, I try to obfuscate my alliance turn one by talking to everyone, with talking to the guy I choose an alliance with shortest.

This, of course, brings us to the #1 rule of face to face Diplomacy amongst friends: Nothing I say in a game can ever be used against me outside of game and do not get mad at your friends for playing in the spirit of the game. If you can't separate the two, you shouldn't play with face to face with friends.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I hate being turkey and having that weird Ionian roadblock that leaves a useless fleet in the Aegean.

But seriously, english sevastapol is definitely double-take territory.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    You doomed us both, Smoove!

You will be at PAX East? So will I!

We should hang out.

Also, your first mistake was making me your enemy. We could have been such good friends.

Like, everything I read said that Italy - Turkey is a bad alliance for Italy. Made me edgy about you the whole game.

Nah, I doomed myself by building too many armies and not enough fleets out of St.Pete's. I couldn't hold Scandinavia from the mainland. Those fleets were always on my "to-do" list because I knew EN betrayal was a distinct possibility. Just never got around to doing it.