As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It's pretty excellent.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It's nice to see Legend of Grimrock as the bestseller currently. It warms my heart.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You just have to think of it in relative terms. Even today, games are chasing photo-realism, and that was still a thing back then when the CD-ROM came out. You went from poorly rendered 3D to live people, and it was quite impressive for the time. Then every game became a B Movie and people got tired of it. Some games did it right, though, like the Wing Commander series.
    And Jedi Knight.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The Wing Commander series did it well for its time.

Whenever I go back and play those games now though, it seems horribly hackneyed.

But at the time it was groundbreaking.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I never beat VTM:R because it always crashed when I reached the modern age. Get!

Also I've heard Arcanum is pretty excellent. Thoughts?

Excellent. Just be aware there is a steep learning curve and the UI is not very intuitive. Get past that and it's pretty much gold.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    But why? It's video inside of a video game. It's just always looked awkward to me. It looks like someone put a B rated movie in my video game.
    Because, when the alternative is claymation early CG, seeing a person that looks like a person was pretty amazing.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4YnvPetZ1E#t=2m36s
    Think Reboot. That's what most game CG at the time looked like. Maybe some people's nostalgia goggles are thick enough to consider it retro or stylish, but I've always found it lame at best. FMV is guilty of bad games and, more often than not, cheesy acting, but it could be very effective if used right.

[edit] Oh, fuck off forum for trying to be smart. Until you're smart enough to take time codes into account your auto-embed can fuck right off.
    it's just as easy to say your nostalgia goggles are thick enough that FMV is retro or stylish
    It's not, it's cheesy, but it's better than most of the CG stuff we got at the time.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    DoTEMU has a sale on too, including Soulbringer that was just released on GoG. Anyone played that yet?

Oh my God, it's like early 90's web design. I think I got a migraine just looking at their page. Or maybe a seizure.

People who love Myst-type games owe it to themselves to pick up Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor. These games are two of the best Myst-clones ever made.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Some good FMVs. Short, simple, to the point. Conveys a sense of things without overdoing it.

And one of the worst. Not only is the acting terrible and script terrible (a million pounds of tube steak..wtf) but the game is awful as well.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Apostate wrote: »
    Oh man, I never beat VTM:R because it always crashed when I reached the modern age. Get!

Also I've heard Arcanum is pretty excellent. Thoughts?

Excellent. Just be aware there is a steep learning curve and the UI is not very intuitive. Get past that and it's pretty much gold.

Also the combat is pure distilled liquid shit, but eh, so's the realtime combat in all RPGs so no surprise there.

EDIT: I am angry at vidya games

Mayday on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Is Arcanum the one that was developed turn based but they were forced to add a real time mode partway through development?

I just started and set it to turn based. I think the general consensus is that it's hard as hell to make a good tech character? Any suggestions in regards to that?

• Options
    Is Arcanum the one that was developed turn based but they were forced to add a real time mode partway through development?

I just started and set it to turn based. I think the general consensus is that it's hard as hell to make a good tech character? Any suggestions in regards to that?

Tech is a bit harder going than Magic, but I found it a little more interesting in the long run. If you get tech too high magic guys can't heal or buff you and your first companion is a healer. The real issue to avoid is trying to do both magic and tech. IIRC there are significant bonuses to going all in on one or the other.

Also stick with turned based combat for the most part. The real time is useful in a few instances but the game is clearly made for turn based.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Is arcanum the steampunk RPG? I think it's that. I might have to get it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Is arcanum the steampunk RPG? I think it's that. I might have to get it.

Yes, it is.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yes, it is.
    SOLD!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It is Steampunk, but a better description is it's a standard D&D type fantasy world that enters the Industrial Revolution.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say it's a good deal of "steam" and only a little of "punk".

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I love the FMV opening to Mechcommander with all of my heart.

And stop making me want to buy Arcanum.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

The only way to stop wanting to buy Arcanum is to buy Arcanum.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It is Steampunk, but a better description is it's a standard D&D type fantasy world that enters the Industrial Revolution.

Yeah, which is how I think they managed to avoid the usual "GOGGLES AND RANDOM USELESS GEARS AND SHIT" steampunk bullshit. I mean, I like the steampunk aesthetic as much as the next person but it gets retarded sometimes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, which is how I think they managed to avoid the usual "GOGGLES AND RANDOM USELESS GEARS AND SHIT" steampunk bullshit. I mean, I like the steampunk aesthetic as much as the next person but it gets retarded sometimes.

Yeah Arcanum came in a little before a lot of that got really popular so I think it avoids some of the genre's eccentricities. In some ways a better way I would describe it, for those familiar with it, is a kind of retro Shadowrun. That's what it felt like to me anyway.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular

Yeah Arcanum came in a little before a lot of that got really popular so I think it avoids some of the genre's eccentricities. In some ways a better way I would describe it, for those familiar with it, is a kind of retro Shadowrun. That's what it felt like to me anyway.

I'd call that an apt description. And I'd like to echo @Apostate 's earlier comment about going the Tech route; I also found it harder but more interesting in the end. The healing deficit will be a pain but you can find quite a few tech based healing items as you go along and there is always save/loading if that doesn't offend your gaming sensibilities.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options

Good description, other than that it's retro-Shadowrun coming from the other direction. Shadowrun is a tech-world that's experiencing a rebirth (?) of magic, whereas Arcanum's a magic world that's experiencing the birth of tech.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The one thing I can not get past in Arcanum is the way it scrolls over the play area.

In a regular cRPG, you can move your cursor to the end of an invisible box and have the screen move in that direction, so you're able to click at far away places and have your guys path-find themselves there.

In Arcanum you can only move the invisible box to the limits of the screen your PC is currently standing. So if you want to move to the other side of the map you're scrolling and clicking the edge of the viewable screen again and again and again... andagainandagainandagagaingaignaigna urgh!

One of the many, many problems with that game (not even mentioning the fact that the systems inherit to the game are barely explained) that stop me from playing it any longer than 30 minutes.

If you haven't played through the breadth of amazing cRPGs that work excellently today with over a decades worth of fan-patches such as Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2/Expansions, Planescape Torment etc. I'd recommend playing those over Arcanum :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Can't you go to the area map, and click there?

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Can't you go to the area map, and click there?

You can, though to go great distances you need to plot down a few waypoints. Doesn't take too long to get the hang of how far apart you can space them without breaking the pathing.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You can set the distance to let you scroll as much as you want. One of the first things I did. Set -scrolldist:0 after the target executable in the shortcut. Because yeah, that was driving me nuts.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    You can set the distance to let you scroll as much as you want. One of the first things I did. Set -scrolldist:0 after the target executable in the shortcut. Because yeah, that was driving me nuts.

....wow. I never knew that. Urge to reinstall rising
    Mackenzier wrote: »

I'd call that an apt description. And I'd like to echo @Apostate 's earlier comment about going the Tech route; I also found it harder but more interesting in the end. The healing deficit will be a pain but you can find quite a few tech based healing items as you go along and there is always save/loading if that doesn't offend your gaming sensibilities.

Tech is more interesting, but Arcanum is one of the few games I really feel did magic right. You start out fairly weak, but later on you are basically a god. So much cool stuff you can do.

• Options
    The scrolling thing might only work with the fan patches. I learned of it when I installed the widescreen resolution mod (check the sticky in the GoG forums for the game) so I don't know if it'll work unpatched.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Talking about FMV games, gog needs to get spycraft

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I stopped playing arcanum because the combat was super unforgiving. started it up like a week ago and found out flashfire makes things a lot easier.

also found out just how many people you can kill in the name of collateral damage

then I got bored at literally the exact same point and haven't touched it since

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Good description, other than that it's retro-Shadowrun coming from the other direction. Shadowrun is a tech-world that's experiencing a rebirth (?) of magic, whereas Arcanum's a magic world that's experiencing the birth of tech.
    A closer RPG example is the awesome "Castle Falkenstein" pen and paper RPG. It's some of the best Victorian Age gaming you can play, even though it's basically FUDGE with playing cards. It's rules-light and the sourcebooks are all great material on how to actually play your character in the Victorian Age and immerse yourself in the setting, while pointing out various inspirations in film and literature to help you set the feel of the game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

The only way to stop wanting to buy Arcanum is to buy Arcanum.

See, I thought that too. Then I played it and realized I didn't actually want to buy it. But my past self had done so already! The fool!

It turns out Planescape Torment and Fallout 2 are about as hardcore as I want my RPGs, and Arcanum is way more hardcore then they are.

Frem on
  • Options
    Arcanum is one of those games I recommend using the save editor on. The setting and story are awesome enough (imo) to be worth cheating your way through the combat. It's definitely up there as one of my favorite game worlds.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Arcanum is one of those games I recommend using the save editor on. The setting and story are awesome enough (imo) to be worth cheating your way through the combat. It's definitely up there as one of my favorite game worlds.

I agree with this statement.

After the first 1/4 of the game I'd had more than enough of the silly combat, so I cheated myself some sick stuff and had fun with the rest of it. It's well worth your time if you blow past the combat IMO. Kind of like Planescape: Torment

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

... You son of a bitch, do you know what you've DONE!? *reinstalls*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Talking about FMV games, gog needs to get spycraft

Spycraft would be great, I played that game over and over again when I was 12-13.

Ripper would be another good FMV game for them to try and pick up. Illogical adventure game puzzles + Christopher Walken = awesome.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Justin McElroy was live tweeting and twitvid'ing Gabriel Knight 2 tonight and it was glorious.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Was Spycraft good? I'll have to look that one up. I passed over it back in the day.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, I think I actually still have the spycraft CDs floating around somewhere.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Myst still seems to have allot of appeal. The first two are on the top sellers list. Weird.