As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's a SOE game, it'll be following SOE's system (they even stated so). With EQ2 at least, that means locked classes, races and cap on what quality gear you can equip and money you can carry.
    I expect the gear might be a dealbreaker for most- what's the point of spelunking when you can't equip your rewards? What's the point of Vanguard if there's no spelunking?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    It's a SOE game, it'll be following SOE's system (they even stated so). With EQ2 at least, that means locked classes, races and cap on what quality gear you can equip and money you can carry.
    I expect the gear might be a dealbreaker for most- what's the point of spelunking when you can't equip your rewards? What's the point of Vanguard if there's no spelunking?

I never paid much attention to EQ2's system: is unlocking gear tiers a one-time purchase, or will you be looking at monthly recurring costs? I mean, I wouldn't mind paying a one-time fee ( a la Guild Wars ) if that means I can wear epixxx from then on.

You can either pay a one-time fee to unlock one piece of gear or you subscribe. Admittedly, unlocking a single piece isn't really expensive, but it does likely mean you won't really want to do it until late game when you stop swapping them twice a week.

You can either pay a one-time fee to unlock one piece of gear or you subscribe. Admittedly, unlocking a single piece isn't really expensive, but it does likely mean you won't really want to do it until late game when you stop swapping them twice a week.

Oh wow that is pretty hardcore nickle & diming. Paying for specific pieces of gear sounds like a constant pain. I thought they would lock you out of tiers of gear, like: to wear blues you'd pay 10$ and purples 20$ or something. Classes available for 10$ ea. ...

More like pay a buck and you can unlock X pieces of gear for use. So, yeah, not something people will do until late game. SOE is also pretty bad when it comes to pricing, at least compared to something like City of Heroes- where in the latter you can unlock an entire costume for a few bucks you'll be getting a single piece in EQ2 and count yourself lucky if it cost less than $5.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    More like pay a buck and you can unlock X pieces of gear for use. So, yeah, not something people will do until late game. SOE is also pretty bad when it comes to pricing, at least compared to something like City of Heroes- where in the latter you can unlock an entire costume for a few bucks you'll be getting a single piece in EQ2 and count yourself lucky if it cost less than $5.

So really the game isn't F2P at all, you may as well just subscribe.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Aside from having 80 levels and 8 years of content to play? It's a problem with Vanguard, since the game is difficult and spelunking is the main reason to play it*, but EQ2 is more like WoW, being decked in quest/crafted greens and blues suffices.

*well, I guess you could play it for diplomacy and/or crafting, too. I do like diplomacy

So this "MMO" has been making the rounds as a tech showcase of HTML5 http://browserquest.mozilla.org/

it's just a very small demo, though, I killed the final boss and finished all achievements besides getting killed 5 times, receiving 5k dmg and a hidden deed for completing all deeds in about an hour and was not challenged once. It's a nice showcase and it's cute and there's a nyan nyan cat and a Portal reference.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Tried out Blacklight Retribution because hey! Futuristic shooter with Hardsuits! Then I saw it has a Korean Pay2Win system with equipment that mostly lasts days at a time.

Uninstall!

makosig.jpg
    edited March 2012
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Tried out Blacklight Retribution because hey! Futuristic shooter with Hardsuits! Then I saw it has a Korean Pay2Win system with equipment that mostly lasts days at a time.

Uninstall!

You mean the equipment you can earn through normal gameplay without paying a cent, and all have permanent (non days at a time.) versions? You must have fired it up for all of 5 seconds because you didn't look very closely at how the game works. Also there is no pay to win when one of the most generally useful gun combo's is something you get for free when you first start out. Not that I'm in love with the game, but what you have said is just untrue. The games devs went out of there way to make sure the game was balanced and not pay to win. It also isn't a korean game, it's made in the US by Zombie Studios. Nice try though. It's pay to win in about the same way that the new Tribes game is pay to win. You can pay for short cuts to unlocks you can get through normal gameplay anyways, and pay for boosters as well (Which if you play a lot is a better choice.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Then what the hell is up with the equipment lasting only a few days? I know who made the game. That still doesn't change the fact that I perceived what I saw as a Korean-styled P2W system. It's the same shit i've seen in other games of this style. Unless I'm missing something, unlocks seem to only last a certain amount of time unless, presumably, you buy them with gold.

Stop being a goose. I wasn't "trying" to bring this game down.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Then what the hell is up with the equipment lasting only a few days? I know who made the game. That still doesn't change the fact that I perceived what I saw as a Korean-styled P2W system. It's the same shit i've seen in other games of this style. Unless I'm missing something, unlocks seem to only last a certain amount of time unless, presumably, you buy them with gold.

It has both. You can "rent" equipment for super cheap, or purchase it outright permanent. You can do both with in game earned money or cash shop money. You have to look into the shop a bit more and you will see it. Getting an item like a rental, for say...24 hours is also REALLY easy to earn through normal gameplay. It takes maybe 1 or 2 matches to unlock an item for that time period so it lets you mix and match and try out weapons so you can see what you like the most. It's obviously a lot easier to pay real moniez to get the items permanent, but it isn't impossible to earn them from normal gameplay. I earned a couple armour bits and a gun through normal gameplay for example. And I never payed any real money to get the items.

It works a lot like the system in play thats in the new Tribe game. Very similar, just a different gameplay style (Blacklight is a lot less forgiving imo, you die a lot easier.) The downside is it takes a lot of gameplay to unlock something permanently for free in terms of weaponry. You do earn more in game money depending on how well you do in each match though too, so if you are wicked good at shooters and get tons of points you will rack up money a lot faster. I was actually pretty good at this game for some reason (I'm not so good at battlefield.) and I racked up points fast and came in first/second place almost every game.

Elimination on

It has both. You can "rent" equipment for super cheap, or purchase it outright permanent. You can do both with in game earned money or cash shop money. You have to look into the shop a bit more and you will see it. Getting an item like a rental, for say...24 hours is also REALLY easy to earn through normal gameplay. It takes maybe 1 or 2 matches to unlock an item for that time period so it lets you mix and match and try out weapons so you can see what you like the most. It's obviously a lot easier to pay real moniez to get the items permanent, but it isn't impossible to earn them from normal gameplay. I earned a couple armour bits and a gun through normal gameplay for example. And I never payed any real money to get the items.

It works a lot like the system in play thats in the new Tribe game. Very similar, just a different gameplay style (Blacklight is a lot less forgiving imo, you die a lot easier.)

They really need to make the fact that you can permanently unlock stuff through normal play a lot easier to notice. I sure as hell missed it. All right, this changes things.

makosig.jpg
    edited March 2012

It works a lot like the system in play thats in the new Tribe game. Very similar, just a different gameplay style (Blacklight is a lot less forgiving imo, you die a lot easier.)

They really need to make the fact that you can permanently unlock stuff through normal play a lot easier to notice. I sure as hell missed it. All right, this changes things.

Yeah i felt the same way as you at first. The cash shop thing is truly massive, theres a shit ton of items/options so its a bit hard to find on first glance. Also in reality the basic assault rifle you get for free is honestly one of the most well balanced weapons in the game. I bought a couple attachments for it and still used it a lot.

Elimination on
    edited March 2012
    How exactly do you permanently unlock something? I'm looking at the Lightsky L3 Aim Point scope. It's in my inventory for 1 day and costs 125gp. Is the perma-own simply another option?

EDIT: Figured it out. The confirmation menu's a bit cluttered, but it's there. It gives you a 1 day, 3 day, or FOREVER option.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    The latest trailer of Marvel Heroes Online, courtesy of Massively:

http://youtu.be/IeeXO63M4GA

steam_sig.png
    Man, I should try to get back into this list again. D; It completely fell to the wayside after I got a job.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Really been looking forward to the Dark Blood beta starting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v6YKOHQ8X8

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aldo wrote: »
    Man, I should try to get back into this list again. D; It completely fell to the wayside after I got a job.

I was going to offer my services to you, but I would probably not do as great of a job as you have :^:

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    The latest trailer of Marvel Heroes Online, courtesy of Massively:

http://youtu.be/IeeXO63M4GA
    So effectively the next X-men Legend/Ultimate Alliance? Cool.

steam_sig.png

I was going to offer my services to you, but I would probably not do as great of a job as you have :^:
    I could use help with simply collecting names+links to games that came out in the past 3 months.

(The last games I added are Spirit Tales, Star Legends and Eligium.. I don't know if they were out for a long time before I spotted them, of course. )

So Hedone got its ass rebranded as Bullet Run and is now under the SOE banner.

steam_sig.png
    I hadn't played that closed beta for a while. Wondered why they stopped sending me emails.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    SOE is now publishing Wizardry Online for the West. They'll probably have a proper site Monday, but the actual developers have a site up now.

steam_sig.png
    So, some updates:

Spirit Tales moved to OB
    http://sf.koramgame.com/ is another game by the same company, it looks like it's 10-15 years old. It's currently in CB
    http://www.cityofsteam.com/ is in CB and it seems to have some budget behind it. This surprises me!
    http://knightsofthesky.atlusonline.com/ has been released. Has anyone played it yet? Any impressions you'd like to share?
    http://dragona.kr.gameclub.com efforts to release a Global client in Q4 2011 are no longer possible to find.
    http://rode.netgame.com/ has removed all mentions of pizza delivery services from their site and is now released.

Got 3 beta keys for C9

3QZP JNX9 9PA8 F5G7
    DTZX Z2EJ EVBD ZETN
    5YIV 8OSH NQT1 ZZVV

Added:
    Marvel Heroes http://www.marvelheroes.com/ MMO RPG 3D Upcoming title Kinda Diablo-like with the heroes from Marvel. It's got a big enough budget to make a big splash…
    Dark Blood http://darkblood.outspark.com/ MMO Arcade 2D Upcoming title hack-n-slash grindfest with lots of big numbers and blood.
    Wizardry Online http://www.wizardrythegame.com/ MMO RPG 3D Upcoming title Based on the 30 years old game based on the even old boardgame, this game promises a hardcore RPG experience, with *drumroll* perma-death. SOE is going to release this in the West. This is going to be a very rogue-like experience, I think.

Also updated some statuses and links based on posts in this thread and clicking stuff randomly myself.

Over the weekend I tried Asda 2 again, after forgetting I played it before. This time I ran into a young Englishwoman* and I got to understand why some people enjoy this game: it's a "baby's first MMO" and the Soulmate system means that if you have a friend who loves MMOs and he's trying to get you involved, he can make you his soulmate and he is basically forced to play with you, to get the most out of the buffs and skills. That way Asda2 dodges the whole "oh shit, my friend is way more hardcore, I guess I'll just kill some bunnies by myself...*sigh* look at him joining big guilds and raids, guess I'll go and do something else", now there's social pressure to drag you along, as you can only have 1 soulmate per account, if he were to dump you for someone way more hardcore, you'd know and that would be awkward.

So that's basically what happened with the Englishwoman: she was someone who got dragged in by a hardcore friend, but he was so hardcore he went straight back to WoW after a few weeks and she was stranded in Asda, which she started to enjoy, while he was trying to get her to play WoW with him. Said he was gonna pay for her account, while she just wanted to play some Asda. I just uninstalled after reaching my first Job and playing around a bit with the increased DPS, but the game is terribly stale, has clunky controls, no features worth mentioning besides the soulmate thing and lacks any kind of polish beyond dozens of cash-shop costumes. I mailed her my gold and invited her to check out some other games. I hope I can get her to take a look at LOTRO or Eden Eternal.

I also tried Seven Souls, but the graphics and there being only 2 quests ("kill X mobs" and "kill X mobs and collect X items") made me reconsider my time spent. Apparently there's dungeons later on, but there's just not enough depth to make me invest time into it. Again, a very casual game made with no consideration for gamers.

This weekend's experiences made me consider just how much these cheap MMOs are trying to mimic Farmville wrt reducing the amount of features available and increasing the amount of awards you get per minute.

*at least, that's the impression I got.

Got 3 beta keys for C9
    3QZP JNX9 9PA8 F5G7
    DTZX Z2EJ EVBD ZETN
    5YIV 8OSH NQT1 ZZVV
    I have to wonder if they're taking a dig at their playerbase... :P

witchblade_action.jpg

I have no idea what's going on with c9. I swear I got into a beta earlier and they made it seem like it had been going on for a while, but when I finally tried to play it all the servers were down.

stream
    edited June 2012
    OK, so I'm glad this game did not make it out of the kickstarter stage: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1065318294/squad-wars

For a mere $10k you get: SPACE DEITY LEVEL gets you Legend level rewards PLUS: a Founder's Space Deity In-Game Badge; Your character is written into game lore; 2 VIP invites to the launch party and 1 night hotel stay (must be able to travel to event venue on your own); A private, tasty lunch or dinner with END Games studio heads; a total of 1000 first scenario votes;a total of $25,000 worth of in game credits; ten Squad Council seats, giving you 10 VIP votes on influencing future content and feature directions; a "Co-Executive Producer" development credit. Gets you Legend Level rewards PLUS: Your permanent ad displayed in the map of your choosing as a floating billboard. You supply the ad (so long as it meets the games rating and technical requirements) and we run it. You can change it whenever you would like as well. It will be part of the game for as long as the game is live.

I'm actually surprised Evony did not grab this opportunity to display ads of porn models until the end of the universe.

ADDED

Dragon's Prophet http://www.dragonsprophet.com/# MMO RPG Unknown Unknown Upcoming title Players will be able to capture a large variety of dragons, each with its own statistics and attributes. After a dragon has been captured, players will be granted a stat bonus based on the stats of the dragon. That's all the information we have for now, but jump past the cut for the game's announcement trailer, and stay tuned for more information.
    Crystal Saga http://cs.r2games.com/ MMO RPG In-browser 2D Open beta Cheap in-browser grind MMO with extremely clunky controls and animations. Thankfully the game auto-deletes all characters that don't reach lev20, so after playing for 5 minutes I can safely run away.
    Wartune http://wartune.r2games.com/ MMO RPG In-browser 2D Upcoming title In-browser, does not seem to contain any interesting features.
    Smoo Online http://www.smooonline.com/en/ MMO Other Unknown 3D Upcoming title Cheap-looking mini-games MMO where you play games to unlock goodies and more games. Strong focus of playing against others. I don't expect this game to get anywhere.
    Origins of Malu http://www.originsofmalu.com/ MMO RPG Client 3D Upcoming title Indie sandbox RPG from Canada featuring no classes and perma-death in some zones.
    Embers of Caerus http://www.embersofcaerus.com MMO RPG Client 3D Upcoming title funded through Kickstarter, this is going to be a sandbox MMO which seems to list all the features Darkfall promised to contain. I'm cynical, but there's people who gave $10k to this, so I guess either someone is going to be very disappointed after a development cycle as long as Darkfall or I'm too cynical.
    Soul Captor https://uk.beanfun.com/ MMO RPG Client 3D Upcoming title Cutesy MMO in a Near-East fantasy setting. Main selling points is the collection of souls from dead monsters which you use to create buffs, mounts and whatever else strikes the developers as an interesting feature. Seems to be grind-heavy.
    Waren Story http://warenstory.aeriagames.com MMO RPG Client 3D Closed beta Aeria game with all the MMO features and stuff.
    Star Conflict http://star-conflict.com MMO RPG Unknown Unknown Upcoming title space shooter with focus on pvp
    Akaneiro http://www.angry-red.com MMO RPG Unknown Unknown Upcoming title Action/Adventure with artsy graphics and set in Edo Japan, making it slightly unique. Needs more info on site.

Aldo on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Has anyone here tried Forsaken World lately? I was thinking about trying it or Eden Eternal while waiting for STO's Season 6 to launch but since I'm sporting a super-basic DSL speed, I'd like to know if it (and Eden Eternal for that matter) is worth dedicating probably a whole day or so of my bandwidth to DL the game.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Akaneiro http://www.angry-red.com MMO RPG Unknown Unknown Upcoming title Action/Adventure with artsy graphics and set in Edo Japan, making it slightly unique. Needs more info on site.
    Wait. Really? That's an MMO? Was not expecting that.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited June 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried Forsaken World lately? I was thinking about trying it or Eden Eternal while waiting for STO's Season 6 to launch but since I'm sporting a super-basic DSL speed, I'd like to know if it (and Eden Eternal for that matter) is worth dedicating probably a whole day or so of my bandwidth to DL the game.
    Eden Eternal is an enjoyably polished game with enough stuff to do to keep you occupied for a while. See it as a safari tour to an anime wonderland full of talking frogs, girls in frilly dresses and enough pastel colours to make Mary Cassat scream out in pleasure for an eternity*. Forsaken World is basically the same kind of game, but with a grittier setting that's closer to a PG13 Warhammer than anything else. I found Eden Eternal way more enjoyable and I'm always considering firing it back up again to try one of the new races or go for a different build. I got hacked, so my wizard/healer character is pretty useless to me now.

Both games have decent group content, so if you can get some people together or play in PuGs you can get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

*booya art history reference!
    heenato wrote: »
    Wait. Really? That's an MMO? Was not expecting that.
    Well, it's described elsewhere as such, but my sources are notoriously unreliable (so like me, only I've got snark)

Aldo on
    I found Eden Eternal way more enjoyable and I'm always considering firing it back up again to try one of the new races or go for a different build. I got hacked, so my wizard/healer character is pretty useless to me now.

Ooo, is EE prone to getting account-hacked?

Owenashi wrote: »
    I found Eden Eternal way more enjoyable and I'm always considering firing it back up again to try one of the new races or go for a different build. I got hacked, so my wizard/healer character is pretty useless to me now.

Ooo, is EE prone to getting account-hacked?
    Not really, there was a breach in the security of a few of the free MMO providers at around the same time. It's not less secure than LinkedIn and last.fm. Aeria refunded my cash shop funbucks reasonably fast, but could not restore my characters to their previous state. It wasn't so bad, but it does drain my motivation to play that particular character now.

btw, I'm installing it again now, dunno how long I'll last.

edited June 2012
    Guess I'll give it a shot then.

EDIT: Ooof, I have to DL the game from an alt-source since using the game's download-program jams up my Firefox and other parts of my comp to a screeching halt. Hope the game itself isn't the same way.

Owenashi on
    Waren Story is entering CBT
    Cabal 2 is actually a thing.
    Twitter remains a bitch to keep up with.

edited June 2012
    Geez, Waren Story is not fun. I trust that this 30 seconds preview will tell you more than a long-winded rant.

http://youtu.be/aK_vIt3n3KU

At any rate, I feel like the only jerk on Twitter posting about free MMOs who's not cheerfully positive about any and all MMOs. If anyone knows of any bloggers who criticize free MMOs, please send em through to me, because I don't really like having to put every article and post through my trademarked "feh, we'll see about that!" filter before I share them here.

Aldo on
    Yeah, he's awesome.

This discussion has been closed.