As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's an Amiga? *NSF56K*

124»

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    My favorite game for the Amiga was Hybris, one of the few videogames I could get my Dad to play.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    thread.jpg

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I am Missing K240.
    I spend hours playing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcRwIjD0DGA

Supremacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmfMFGBnQEE

And my first romp with xcom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdHgE_1kH2o

Takes me back....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    My favorite game for the Amiga was Hybris, one of the few videogames I could get my Dad to play.

did you ever play Battle Squadron? It's the sequel to Hybris.

• Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    I must get my Supremacy on when I get my A1200. I think I had it on C64 at one point but I didn't know how to play it. I know it's supposed to be an amazing game.

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I am Missing K240.

Supremacy

Takes me back....

Yes, Supremacy! Thank you for linking that, I had completely forgotten it! I absolutely loved that game. Even if only for the art in it. I think I still have an old sketch book where I drew the various soldier armor in that game.

Never heard of K240. Looked like it had some nice art. What kind of game is it?

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    I am Missing K240.

Supremacy

Takes me back....

Yes, Supremacy! Thank you for linking that, I had completely forgotten it! I absolutely loved that game. Even if only for the art in it. I think I still have an old sketch book where I drew the various soldier armor in that game.

Never heard of K240. Looked like it had some nice art. What kind of game is it?

Sort of RTS.

You colonise asteroids. Tech up and exterminate the other races on other asteroids with the metals/minerals you mine.
    The fun thing was the ship building. The ships were modular, so you could put really big blasters with really cheap engines and such. And build spacestations in orbit of the asteroids.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You assume I didn't already do this. You're flat out wrong - TVs sold in the US DO have different decoders,

I never said they didn't.

In fact, I was saying that the decoder and inputs are the only difference. The rest of the TV is shared between regions because it's cheaper to reuse 95% of the design than design totally new per region.
    you can't put most TVs from the US into 50 hz mode. And look at these moving goal posts - your solutions are always ass-backwards and complex. Mod a fucking TV, just for a damn amiga.

50Hz support is enabled in the factory/service menu. For example, on most sony TVs of recent years it's display+5+volume up+power on the remote (sometimes just display+5+power), from standby. Ask an adult if you get stuck.
    Get your poverty televisions out of this topic dude, you can't game unless you have an RGB monitor.

Says the guy who rants about "disgustingly small televisions".

It's just plain to see you're a compulsive liar. That's why you come up with rubbish like a 24Mhz 68000. That's why you get so angry when people correct you. You're unwell, and you need help. It's sad.

You also have a deep lack of technical knowledge. That's why you think the Genesis, a cheap 1989 system was better than a $1500 1985 animation workstation. That's why you say "24Mhz" and don't realize it's a clock frequency five years ahead of the competition, on a chip half the industry used. Apple weren't buying 8Mhz to save money pal, it was because that's all that existed. It's also why you can't google up the information to change a setting on your television. I'd be surprised if you could wire a plug, at this point.

And you have serious issues with your self esteem. That's why you need to flash cash by running a 500w step up transformer instead of a $20 USA sold Amiga PSU. That's why you rant about "disgustingly small televisions", and why the idea of a $15 dollar magnevox from goodwill with manual V-Hold is somehow a horrible burden. I'm sorry guy, but you're doing all this for a 25 year old computer. You're already making yourself look like you're poor. Gotta have that latest 3DTV yo!

Boy, I can't wait for the next reply from TSR. He'll probably misread everything and claim I'm moving the goalposts by demanding he buy a sony or something.

Falken on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Falken wrote: »
    50Hz support is enabled in the factory/service menu. For example, on most sony TVs of recent years it's display+5+volume up+power on the remote (sometimes just display+5+power), from standby. Ask an adult if you get stuck.

most TVs don't have this option. And you're STILL ignorant of the difference between PAL->NTSC conversion, and a simple 50/60 hz switch. Why are you so caught up on the switch between frequencies? THERE IS MORE TO CONVERSION THAN FREQUENCY.
    Says the guy who rants about "disgustingly small televisions".

You do realize I said that specifically to piss you off, right? It was a counter to 'walmart televisions' and I'm getting a huge kick out of seeing you sperg out because I called your tiny shitty tv a tiny shitty tv.
    It's just plain to see you're a compulsive liar. That's why you come up with rubbish like a 24Mhz 68000. That's why you get so angry when people correct you. You're unwell, and you need help. It's sad.
    I appreciate the technical corrections, especially since I'm in the process of revising this for Racketboy as their Amiga 101 guide

Man look at how seethingly angry I am there.
    You also have a deep lack of technical knowledge. That's why you think the Genesis, a cheap 1989 system was better than a $1500 1985 animation workstation. That's why you say "24Mhz" and don't realize it's a clock frequency five years ahead of the competition, on a chip half the industry used. Apple weren't buying 8Mhz to save money pal, it was because that's all that existed. It's also why you can't google up the information to change a setting on your television. I'd be surprised if you could wire a plug, at this point.

Ha, I have a deep lack of technical knowledge, but you're the one talking about a rarely used video mode, who is still talking about a 50/60 hz switch as though that's all there is to pal->ntsc conversion, who claimed that shadow and highlight mode was "HAM slow" (lmao) and "could only be used on static images" (LMFAO). You don't even realize how terrible you're coming off looking in this topic. Your first reply ended with you bitching about needing to breath into a bag.
    And you have serious issues with your self esteem. That's why you need to flash cash by running a 500w step up transformer instead of a $20 USA sold Amiga PSU. That's why you rant about "disgustingly small televisions", and why the idea of a $15 dollar magnevox from goodwill with manual V-Hold is somehow a horrible burden. I'm sorry guy, but you're doing all this for a 25 year old computer. You're already making yourself look like you're poor. Gotta have that latest 3DTV yo!

Flashing cash, $60. I'll just poll anybody reading this thread, if there is one person here who is coming off as someone with esteem issues, who is it? You can't even keep your arguments straight - my TV sucks because it's "cheap," yet I'm flashing cash left and right. I need the most expensive TV around, yet I have a common walmart TV.

This is the last time I'm going to respond to your trolling until my big post that will SHOW how genesis ports are superior. Keep that bag around, you're gonna need it.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Falken wrote: »
    [

This type of shit is way beyond the pale. You guys are arguing about technical minutiae involving a 25 year old computer. Get a grip.

• Options

most TVs don't have this option. And you're STILL ignorant of the difference between PAL->NTSC conversion, and a simple 50/60 hz switch. Why are you so caught up on the switch between frequencies? THERE IS MORE TO CONVERSION THAN FREQUENCY.

I've already, repeatedly told you about the A520 module. It takes Amiga RGB and generates composite and RF. There's PAL and NTSC versions. Plug an NTSC A520 into an Amiga, you get NTSC. Plug a PAL A520 into an Amiga you get PAL. Frame rate irrelevant to colour decoding. I've been over this a few times now.

Oh, and technically, no tv has the 50/60 compatibly setting as a user facing option. It's all in the service menu, which is why you use the weird code. I told you this. It's there, in the words.
    You do realize I said that specifically to piss you off, right? It was a counter to 'walmart televisions' and I'm getting a huge kick out of seeing you sperg out because I called your tiny shitty tv a tiny shitty tv.

"My pants haven't fell down man, it's the style."

Ha, I have a deep lack of technical knowledge, but you're the one talking about a rarely used video mode, who is still talking about a 50/60 hz switch as though that's all there is to pal->ntsc conversion, who claimed that shadow and highlight mode was "HAM slow" (lmao) and "could only be used on static images" (LMFAO). You don't even realize how terrible you're coming off looking in this topic. Your first reply ended with you bitching about needing to breath into a bag.

Oh, I get it now, you can't read.
    This is the last time I'm going to respond to your trolling until my big post that will SHOW how genesis ports are superior. Keep that bag around, you're gonna need it.

Waiting for godot's post.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Separate corners, you two.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh my god, this thread is like revisiting my childhood. I spent hours upon hours playing on my Amiga 1000 with my brothers. Captain Fizz was a favorite around my house, with its Co-op gameplay. Same with Starglider ("Staaaaaaaaaaarglider!").

I was a pimp with DeluxePaint too. I loved using the colorcycle to animate images.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    DeluxePaint rules. I still use that for throwing animations together.

• Options
    Mr FuzmsMr Fuzms Auckland, New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Awsome OP is awsome. Such a nostalgia trip. An Amiga Commodore 500 was the first computer I ever had - I was five. So...I guess it wasn't exactly mine per se, but it might as well have been for all the time I spent on it! There's a sad lack of James Pond 2 being mentioned here though. That was the first game I ever bought - straight off the back of seeing it being played on the old Gamesmaster TV show if I remember rightly - and I thought it was great! Probably hasn't aged well at all but, eh. Any game filled to the brim with flagrent advertising for Penguin chocolate bars has got to be good! It was completely off it's face.

And the music was fantastic. Name that tune!

youtube.com/watch?v=xSFOcTtYPrA

(I have no idea how to embed a video so, eh...)

Alas my Amiga died when I had a childish tantrum and whacked it in frustration when I got annihilated after a particularly long game of Civilization, and I caused the floppy drive to jam and crushed the innards. Whoops.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Mr Fuzms wrote: »

Just put in the url by itself. The forums auto-embed.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Mr Fuzms wrote: »

One of my favourite games ever. I still own it for the Game Gear of all things.

• Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Got an A1200 configured after being inspired by this thread (and watching too many episodes of Bad Influence). Great stuff all around, but I'm running into issues with WHDLoad. For the most part I can get games to run alright, but it seems like 2 button joystick support is weird.

Using Genesis pads, it sort of works, but not completely. If I run something like Snow Brothers through the floppy drive, I get perfect 2 button support. Through WHDLoad, the second button works but only if I'm not pressing anything else. So you can't "run and jump" or "run and bomb" depending on the game. Lots of games use the typical "up to jump", so it's not a big deal, but I wonder why this is? TSR, have you had any similar experiences? Is there a way to configure WHDLoad to make it work? I saw some posts about it on other forums, but nothing in the way of solutions/configurations. Any help would be appreciated.

Still having fun though, thanks for all the help/game recommendations!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    How did I not see that this post?

Sorry Mugen (I preferred your Cookie Monster avatar, incidentally!), I recently got an A1200 myself but I haven't got it set up yet, am waiting for a friend to give me back my compact flash reader, and I haven't a clue about your problem. Surely either TSR or Falken can help you with your issue, but I would suggest registering at Amibay or Lemon Amiga. They are the best people to help you with any issues you have or may come across. I can't wait to get mine setup properly - kudos to Falken for helping me with it :D

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten