As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer40K MMO]Apparently no longer an MMO; inquire within (Page 13).

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    That is the most grim dark news I've heard all day.

edit: Also fake.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I would be very surprised if this was true. If any element of this rumor is true, it's probably in regards to WAR40K's MMO being cancelled. That would be sad and unfortunate, but at least THQ would still be around pumping out good titles, including 40K license titles in other genres. We'll have to wait and see.

If THQ does go belly up, there better be a good explanation.

488W936.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote:
    I would be very surprised if this was true. If any element of this rumor is true, it's probably in regards to WAR40K's MMO being cancelled. That would be sad and unfortunate, but at least THQ would still be around pumping out good titles, including 40K license titles in other genres. We'll have to wait and see.

If THQ does go belly up, there better be a good explanation.

I would be flabbergasted if it was true because Saints Row just came out and did fucking amazing.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    http://www.shogungamer.com/news/13189/thq-comments-rumors-concerning-mass-cancellations-and-company-closure

Despite that particular writer saying he essentially doesn't believe the THQ guy that they aren't closing down. I think that the comment mostly ties it up. "THQ has not cancelled any lineup for 2014 and we have made no new decisions regarding any MMO. We look forward to bringing you the best the industry has to offer in the future blah blah blah marketing." kind of says to me "First we've heard of this". If I remember right back in 09 there was also a big thing about THQ closing back then too, and was debunked as nonsense then as well.

I doubt the rumour is true considering how well THQ's games sold over the past year.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    I certainly hope it is false, I'd love to see a WH40K MMO if done right - which I think THQ is capable of doing.

steam_sig.png
    http://www.shogungamer.com/news/13189/thq-comments-rumors-concerning-mass-cancellations-and-company-closure

Despite that particular writer saying he essentially doesn't believe the THQ guy that they aren't closing down. I think that the comment mostly ties it up. "THQ has not cancelled any lineup for 2014 and we have made no new decisions regarding any MMO. We look forward to bringing you the best the industry has to offer in the future blah blah blah marketing." kind of says to me "First we've heard of this". If I remember right back in 09 there was also a big thing about THQ closing back then too, and was debunked as nonsense then as well.

I doubt the rumour is true considering how well THQ's games sold over the past year.

Actually reading this article is a good example of poor journalism. He pulls a lot of stuff completely out of his ass with no proof what so ever and complete conjecture.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited January 2012
    I should never have trusted Kotaku >:-(

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Isn't that like, rule number 1 for internet gaming?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 40k MMO is probably a bad idea as it stands. Right now what they should be pushing for is a squad or army based MMO that's closer to an MMORTS than an MMORPG.
    The industry is flooded with MMORPGs and THQ should be focusing on what the Warhammer license has above most of the other large licenses getting MMOs: A working, tested, enjoyable RTS legacy.

That said I will still buy it and enjoy it until it inevitably gets shut down.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that this will be one of the THQ products that survives the company's recently commenced meltdown as it will be purchased by whomever picks up the WARHAMPER license. Said purchase is probably good news because it might (will ?) mean that someone with money and people to spend starts working on a WARHAMPER 40K MMO.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That comic in the OP brings up a good point. The no female space marine thing could be something stupid people complain about. Even if they put the Sisters of Battle in, they would have to have lesser stats, for lore's sake.

I wonder if you can join a Slaanesh legion you have a sex mini game for a buff. :p.

Blood for the blood God!

:(

http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1678267&highlight=
    AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 29, 2012-- THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) today announced that it has refocused Warhammer® 40,000®: Dark Millennium™ from a Massively Multiplayer Online game to an immersive single player and online multiplayer experience with robust digital content, and engaging community features. Further product details, platforms and release timing will be announced at a later date.

steam_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Could still be good...it certainly opens up the opportunity for it to be more interesting than most MMO's these days.

Or we get a SP/MP game with MMO gameplay/story/graphics.

steam_sig.png

The horror....the horror...

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Grimdark, even.

488W936.png
    In the grimdark future of Warhammer 40,000, there are only games that are single player but play like MMO's. The warp is torn asunder. The forces of chaos rule.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I don't know, people seem to like Borderlands well enough. Assuming the gameplay is fun, doesn't really matter whats going on. Killing 40 rats for 10 pelts for an MMO quest is mostly boring because you have to fight rats 1 at a time, and you use the exact same abilities in the exact same order for the exact same fight 40 times.

Guess we've just got to wait and see what they do with it.

• Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Dammit why isn't the news ever good?

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

Dammit why isn't the news ever good?

Grimmmmmmmmdark!

But in seriousness, I think this might actually be a good move on the part of Relic. The barrier of entry for western MMOs has gone higher quite recently, with the advent of SWTOR's record breaking price tag and full VA, GW2's improvement of the old themepark model across the board to the point where it's more like a themepark/sandbox hybrid, and the fact that there are quite a few strong MMOs coming down the pipe, most of which will be F2P and focus on new and interesting IPs (World of Darkness, Dominus, Secret World) or continuations of old successes (Planetside 2) with different styles, combat and gameplay mechanics. And that's just Western MMOs; don't forget TERA and Archeage and the like coming out of Korea, which are doing some pretty cool stuff.

I think Relic's hedging it's bets with this one; I'm a rabid 40K nerd and I also love MMOs despite their many failures, but I had my doubts about true 40K grimdarkness making it in the MMO space without losing some of what makes it so awesome. Perhaps what they turn it into will be better, maybe even an evolution of Space Marine.

488W936.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, that seals it for me. I take my gaming dollars elsewhere.

Single player 40k has been done.

I want to shoot other people's little mans in the face.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Hmm. Perhaps they would have a Space Marine type story for all races. Or they could be going for SP, but have a pseudo PS2 multiplayer, even if it's just a series of multi maps and not huge landscapes like PS2.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I doubt it. Probably another game focusing on Space Marines. Blech. I was looking forward to this too. My dreams of playing a Commisar Lord are gone... :(

Tzeentchian Chaos, Tau and Tyranids. And maybe some Eldar. That would make me happy.

488W936.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Warhammer 40K MMO cancelled, turned into another generic single player game that will probably focus on SPESS MAHREENS and ignore the hugely rich universe that the setting has.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4

This is why they keep having shitty sales for these things!

No one wants to play Space Marine 2: Space Marine Harder: Sometimes not as a Space Marine: Electric Boogalo. That has been done to death. What they showed was really freaking interesting. They had Titans rampaging across huge battlefields for fucks sakes!

This seems like the sort of decision that got the company that made MAG killed. They decided to focus on the much less expansive and interesting SOCOM, and dropped MAG like a sack of rocks. Cue some time later, and they have shitty sales on all of their mediocre products that never actually even tried to push the boundaries of what's considered a basic game. Which lead to their parent company dismantling them because their games were largely huge failures as a result of said mediocrity.

Archonex on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    yes

just to be contrary

also grimdarkdepressiung as fuck

Figures though. It couldn't possibly live up to expectations anyway.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    The best suggestion so far I've seen is for them to make a Battlefield 3-like game with WH40K...

Tremblay wrote: »
    The best suggestion so far I've seen is for them to make a Battlefield 3-like game with WH40K...

That's pretty good. However, I think Planetside: Warhammer 40k would be awesome.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If it's a multiplayer-centric game that actually focuses on armies clashing, then I could dig this.

It was already looking like they were kind of dropping the ball in regards to the number of playable factions. It could be that 40k was just too large in scope for an MMO.

YL9WnCY.png

Borderlands with space marines? Not too horrible.

• Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    So as I was dozing in and out on the commute this morning I was thinking about this game, and the reluctance that GW has in making a game that is an actual version of 40k tabletop.

It seems a logical and simple argument that if GW were to make a digital version of the tabletop game that they would cut into the profits from that game. After all, why would anyone buy the next codex or army if they had it in perpetuity on Steam? However, I believe this argument is flawed and the recent success of digital versions of board games is something that GW would be wise to capitalize on.

I'm sure many of you have read these articles, since they originated at the PA report, but for those that have not I believe these illustrate why GW is only hurting themselves in their stubborn refusal to create an actual digital version of 40k instead of letting companies create shell games and slap the 40k tag on them. 40k is not a 3rd person shooter. It is not an RTS. It is tactical, turn based war strategy - and I bet that the vast majority of people who have played the "40k" digital games (on any platform) have never actually sat in a hobby shop somewhere to play with the miniatures.

Article One: Days of Wonder from the PA report.

This article shows pretty clearly how a traditional board game has had physical sales increase by creating a fun and simple mobile app that people jumped on. Days of Wonder is not a franchise that worries about residual sales in the way that 40k does. Once you own it you probably aren't going to need to buy new versions every year. However, this does show exactly how a company can increase interest and physical sales with a small and intelligent digital investment.

Article Two: Mechwarrior Tactics from the PA report

And here we show that whoever owns the Mechwarrior license is years ahead of GW in terms of lateral thinking. Battletech is a game that definitely relied on residual sales aas they put out more and more mechs, although the necessity of those purchases is definitely less than 40k. Still, how can a company that puts out a physical product expect to monetize a digital version of the physical game? It's pretty straightforward, and it's been no secret now - it's called DLC and the free-to-play model of gaming.

One of the behemoths of the industry does this right now. Wizards puts out a new digital version of Magic: The Gathering every year called Duels of the Planeswalkers. It is a literal translation of the card game, with timing rules and etc the same as if you were playing an opponent in front of you. Wizards controls the game the same way dealers controlled the crack game: it's easy to get into! There are 8-10 decks released every year as the new version, and then an expansion and three more deck packs (with 2 decks apiece) during the course of the year.

Wouldn't GW profit from even something as simple as this format? 3-4 playable armies, a few unlocks and then some DLC? What they don't realize is that the digital game shouldn't be designed to satisfy our complete 40k fix - it should serve to whet our appetite for complete customization...something that (surprise!) the physical game offers right now in your nearest hobby shop!

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Well, there went my interest in the game.

edited March 2012
    So as I was dozing in and out on the commute this morning I was thinking about this game, and the reluctance that GW has in making a game that is an actual version of 40k tabletop.

It seems a logical and simple argument that if GW were to make a digital version of the tabletop game that they would cut into the profits from that game. After all, why would anyone buy the next codex or army if they had it in perpetuity on Steam? However, I believe this argument is flawed and the recent success of digital versions of board games is something that GW would be wise to capitalize on.

I'm sure many of you have read these articles, since they originated at the PA report, but for those that have not I believe these illustrate why GW is only hurting themselves in their stubborn refusal to create an actual digital version of 40k instead of letting companies create shell games and slap the 40k tag on them. 40k is not a 3rd person shooter. It is not an RTS. It is tactical, turn based war strategy - and I bet that the vast majority of people who have played the "40k" digital games (on any platform) have never actually sat in a hobby shop somewhere to play with the miniatures.

Article One: Days of Wonder from the PA report.

This article shows pretty clearly how a traditional board game has had physical sales increase by creating a fun and simple mobile app that people jumped on. Days of Wonder is not a franchise that worries about residual sales in the way that 40k does. Once you own it you probably aren't going to need to buy new versions every year. However, this does show exactly how a company can increase interest and physical sales with a small and intelligent digital investment.

Article Two: Mechwarrior Tactics from the PA report

And here we show that whoever owns the Mechwarrior license is years ahead of GW in terms of lateral thinking. Battletech is a game that definitely relied on residual sales aas they put out more and more mechs, although the necessity of those purchases is definitely less than 40k. Still, how can a company that puts out a physical product expect to monetize a digital version of the physical game? It's pretty straightforward, and it's been no secret now - it's called DLC and the free-to-play model of gaming.

One of the behemoths of the industry does this right now. Wizards puts out a new digital version of Magic: The Gathering every year called Duels of the Planeswalkers. It is a literal translation of the card game, with timing rules and etc the same as if you were playing an opponent in front of you. Wizards controls the game the same way dealers controlled the crack game: it's easy to get into! There are 8-10 decks released every year as the new version, and then an expansion and three more deck packs (with 2 decks apiece) during the course of the year.

Wouldn't GW profit from even something as simple as this format? 3-4 playable armies, a few unlocks and then some DLC? What they don't realize is that the digital game shouldn't be designed to satisfy our complete 40k fix - it should serve to whet our appetite for complete customization...something that (surprise!) the physical game offers right now in your nearest hobby shop!

If it was this thing, a turn based tactical strategy game, I would be completely bored. I like that Relic made it into an RTS and a TPS. Those are fun to play.
    Managing dozens of units, and especially in turn based combat, that holds no appeal.

Edit: however, an RTT where the rules are the same as the tabletop would be pretty cool. Turn based? Nah.

Kadoken on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well if they made the MMO like an inquisitor style of game it would make sense or DEATHWATCH!

Still it's how Vampire in on the back burner is why and one of the many reasons I don't think I care about what is out there or how far along it is

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If they are afraid of competing to much with their own product, there is also the possibility of going larger instead of smaller.

Total War: 40k

Imagine up to thousands of imperial guards fighting an endless Ork Horde, or being slaughtered by dropped in Chaos Marines. A chance to truely animate Titans and their various counterparts. To truely see the devastating effects of Psykers. Including a 'grand strategic' overlay where you manage resources such as men, weaponry, space capabilities, where Hive Worlds scream for aid at the same time as Forge World.

I would be very interested in that. (I know Apocalypse exists but that is fairly niche and still not really integrated on that scale).

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    If they are afraid of competing to much with their own product, there is also the possibility of going larger instead of smaller.

Total War: 40k

Imagine up to thousands of imperial guards fighting an endless Ork Horde, or being slaughtered by dropped in Chaos Marines. A chance to truely animate Titans and their various counterparts. To truely see the devastating effects of Psykers. Including a 'grand strategic' overlay where you manage resources such as men, weaponry, space capabilities, where Hive Worlds scream for aid at the same time as Forge World.

I would be very interested in that. (I know Apocalypse exists but that is fairly niche and still not really integrated on that scale).

One might even say Warhammer 40.000 on an Epic scale. Just imagine a game in that setting.

Truth be told, Epic was my gateway into 40k and I have a lingering and smouldering hatred for Games Workshop for abandoning it and later killing Specialist Games when they became too successful.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Final Liberation was awesome.

Also, another case of the Games Workshop curse. It was never completed and was released half finished. There were plans to add in Chaos, Eldar, and possibly Tyranids to the battle map. You can still download modded in half-finished Chaos files to add them in for play in skirmishes, I believe.

If they had finished it, it basically would have been Total War years before Total War ever was conceived.

Archonex on
    I know not of these games of which you speak, but Total War 40K would basically be the God Emperor's gift to grand RTS lovers like myself. The fact that it was done, and not to completion, makes me very sad indeed.

I think GW might just be afraid that if such a game that simulates in computers what the tabletop game simulates in real life were to ever become very successful, they'd make less money selling expensive miniatures, glue and paint, because everyone would go for the one that's cheaper, easier, and has visual and audio accompaniment of stuff like explosions. The games we have now are supposed to be fun and just enough to get you interested in more. In theory.

Seems dumb, since they make money ethier way, but there ya go.

488W936.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Gw's business plan is rather insane but then it is a business
    Because selling an army to someone is an undertaking for years. Now I will use my personal problem. Am I going to buy another Farseer even though I own two? More jetbikes? I have 55, I have 6 Falcons am I going to buy more?

The answer is a very slim chance but No

A lot of people started to play when DoW came out I don't know how many of them are still playing as an army is a daunting task.

This discussion has been closed.