As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Get Your Ass to [Chat]

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    If I were to start a new playthrough of ME1 (I started it before, picked one of the pre-generated characters and kind of lost interest), what's a good character build to go for?

Last time I basically got annoyed with the combat (despite picking a class that is supposed to be good at it) and found the fact that all my dialogue options were crushingly stupid annoying, which I presume goes with the territory if the character is combat-biased.

the only dialog options that depend on your skills (not character class) are the blue or red ones. Those are based on the charm / intimidate skills which every character can take.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    If I were to start a new playthrough of ME1 (I started it before, picked one of the pre-generated characters and kind of lost interest), what's a good character build to go for?

Last time I basically got annoyed with the combat (despite picking a class that is supposed to be good at it) and found the fact that all my dialogue options were crushingly stupid annoying, which I presume goes with the territory if the character is combat-biased.

getting the cool guy blue or red convo options arise from having a high enough charm/intimidate skill, I think. I don't think class plays into it.

There are some weird disconnects in what you expect the character to say when you pick something and the actual phrasing.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This is going to be a fantastic season for anime

From the director of Cowboy Bebop

k3Dzd.jpg
    Nishimi Kaoru has moved from city to city and school to school because of his father’s job. So the first day at his new school was just routine for him. Being intellectual and the new transfer student, he has always been seen as an outcast and all Kaoru had to do was bare it until the next time he moved. But things were slightly different this time. First, he started to get close to the class president, Mukae Ritsuko, and, secondly, unlikely as it seemed, grew closer to Kawabuchi Sentaro. Sentaro was infamous for getting into fights, skipping class and was an overall bad boy. Strangely enough, the three of them find common ground in music, namely jazz, and Kaoru finds himself actually enjoying the new town.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Also couscous with roasted veg and sriracha.

Worth all the inherent difficulty of slicing up steaming hot aubergines directly out of the oven.

couscous and sriracha

the mind boggles at this heretofore unknown culinary frontier

If I was cooking for myself, it would be a tagine type thing made with harissa and the sriracha would be superfluous. Since Cesca can't have anything spicy, I leave the harissa out and add sriracha to mine after serving it up.

Also couscous with roasted veg and sriracha.

Worth all the inherent difficulty of slicing up steaming hot aubergines directly out of the oven.

couscous and sriracha

the mind boggles at this heretofore unknown culinary frontier

If I was cooking for myself, it would be a tagine type thing made with harissa and the sriracha would be superfluous. Since Cesca can't have anything spicy, I leave the harissa out and add sriracha to mine after serving it up.

ah, fair enough

but now I want couscous and sriracha because this sounds strange and awesome

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

k3Dzd.jpg
    Nishimi Kaoru has moved from city to city and school to school because of his father’s job. So the first day at his new school was just routine for him. Being intellectual and the new transfer student, he has always been seen as an outcast and all Kaoru had to do was bare it until the next time he moved. But things were slightly different this time. First, he started to get close to the class president, Mukae Ritsuko, and, secondly, unlikely as it seemed, grew closer to Kawabuchi Sentaro. Sentaro was infamous for getting into fights, skipping class and was an overall bad boy. Strangely enough, the three of them find common ground in music, namely jazz, and Kaoru finds himself actually enjoying the new town.

From wild west space opera to... My So Called Life: The Anime?

nibXTE7.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Yahoo! Answers is a really weird place: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120331115122AAkFVz9 This gets serious answers.

Assuming they meant the filming location, it's Alnwick Castle. It features quite frequently in the Enjoy England tourist board stuff I get.
    Oh god and now I actually answered their question. Thanks, I guess. :lol:
    ronya wrote: »
    This thing which strikes me about this map:

626px-Crops_Kansas_AST_20010624.jpg

is that this is not an ideal way to pack circles.
    But it is the idea way to distribute land. Clearly the circles were a later invention.

The solution to everything is to roll a female Shepard. And honestly, Shep's not that stupid, but there's a lot of NPCs that are not interesting at all.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

k3Dzd.jpg

From wild west space opera to... My So Called Life: The Anime?
    Hey, it'll have jazz. Are the Seatbelts involved?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hmm Duskblades look fun.

getting the cool guy blue or red convo options arise from having a high enough charm/intimidate skill, I think. I don't think class plays into it.

There are some weird disconnects in what you expect the character to say when you pick something and the actual phrasing.

So is there no check that can be passed or failed affecting the response you get to the conversation option (for normal conversation options)?

Also now Lupin!!

P1zXc.jpg
    Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko to Hatchin) will direct the 13 episode series, making her the first female director on the Lupin III series. Redline director Takeshi Koike will serve as animation director and character designer, andAnoHana's Mari Okada will handle the series composition. Kanichi Kuritawill play Lupin, Kiyoshi Kobayashi will play Daisuke Jigen, Daisuke Namikawa will play Goemon Ishikawa, Miyuki Sawashiro will play Fujiko Mine, and Kouichi Yamadera will play Inspector Zenigata.

The series revolves around the character of Fujiko Mine, depicting her and the rest of the Lupin III cast during their younger days. The series will reportedly capture the "sensuality" present in Monkey Punch's original Lupin III manga in its "daring interpretation" of the franchise.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Bloody roar unlike your anime drawings real people have imperfections.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.

So is there no check that can be passed or failed affecting the response you get to the conversation option (for normal conversation options)?

No. It's push button->receive response. If you lack the numbers to pull off the line it's just grayed out rather than letting you try it and fail off some dice.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Bloody roar unlike your anime drawings real people have imperfections.

Speak for yourself sir! *Bald head sparkling in the sun*

Bald is an imperfection!

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

This is probably late. But the dialog is the same no matter the class. ME1 has retarded dialogue a lot of the times. Basically just talk to Wrex, Garrus and Joker and you are pretty safe.

Soldier is the easiest due to heavy armor. I liked Vanguard since biotics when levels make the game disgustingly easy. The last boss when I played my Vanguard died in three rotations of lift, shotgun and warp just before it ends.

ME1 is the worst for game play in the series and the story sucks till the last 1/3 or 1/4.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Uchuu Kyoudai (SPACE BROS)

20111219_kyoudai01.jpg
    One night in 2006, when they were young, the two brothers Mutta (born 1993) and Hibito (born 1996) saw what appeared to be a UFO heading for the moon. They decided that night to both become astronauts and travel out into space.

In 2025, Hibito has become an astronaut, and he's going to go to the moon. Mutta ended up following a more traditional career path with an auto development company. However, Mutta just ruined his career through a violent altercation with his boss. Now, not only has he lost his job, he appears to be blacklisted in the entire industry. Maybe this is a rare opportunity for Mutta to once again chase his childhood dream and become an astronaut like his little brother!

No. It's push button->receive response. If you lack the numbers to pull off the line it's just grayed out rather than letting you try it and fail off some dice.

Huh. That probably explains a few things.

So what should I be considering when picking/building a character?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    6ocK1.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    6ocK1.jpg

You baka gaijin!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Is it totally my imagination or wasn't there a Santorum ad that was complaining against gays in the military and promoting more religion in government? I can't find it.

Winky wrote: »
    Is it totally my imagination or wasn't there a Santorum ad that was complaining against gays in the military and promoting more religion in government? I can't find it.

That's like... his entire campaign platform.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Bald is an imperfection!

Patrick Stewart is disproof of this.

MyDcmbr wrote: »

Don't forget publicly calling Obama the n-word, that's part of it too.

nibXTE7.png

Right, but I'm talking about a specific ad that attacks it.

Oh no, I'm totally thinking of Rick Perry.

Ok 2 more I good and one OLOL awful

The good:
    Eureka Seven Ao

AO.jpg
    The 13-year-old protagonist, Ao Fukai lives with an elderly doctor, Toshio, on Iwado Island in Okinawa. His father's whereabouts are unknown and his mother had disappeared 10 years ago. His childhood friend, Naru Arata is somewhat frail, physically, and requires an inhaler; however, she seems to have "yuta" power due to an accident that happened when she was very young.
    A mysterious entity called "Secret" suddenly appears and launches an attack on the Scub Coral lifeform on the island. In his fervent desire to protect the island, Ao launches a certain military robot called "Nirvash" aboard a Japanese military transport.

The Terrible
    AKB0048

JQHGf.jpg
    In an era when entertainment is outlawed, there is an idol group that offers underground guerilla concerts despite the danger. The name of that female group is AKB0048.
    Until just before the annihilation of Earth, AKB48 shined as legendary idols.
    This is the story of the super galactic idol team that inherited that name.

Fewer gays in the military
    Fewer n****** in power
    More God in everything

-Santorum for President

Steam
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Woo listening to baseball while reading about democratization in the Mid East.

You want my life. You wish you were as sexy as me.

u7stthr17eud.png

Huh. That probably explains a few things.

So what should I be considering when picking/building a character?

Which of them sound interesting, I suppose. You can win with anyone. I am playing a soldier this go 'round and it mostly involves me trundling around in armor and shooting guys from far away. The general consensus is that it's the most straightforward and easy class. So far I've maxed out Charm and Intimidate and still had points to put into skills to hurt people's feelings via bullets.

The stuff you pick in char gen about being born in space or ruthless or the rest get mentioned right away, but I'm not sure how much they come into play later on.

If nothing else I would either pick charm or intimidate and farm points into one or the other for the sake of having all conversation options, and typically those specialized "alignment"-based answers are good choices for flavor.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Fewer gays in the military
    Fewer n****** in power
    More God in everything

-Santorum for President

If I had no conscience whatsoever I'd go into the bumper sticker business.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    BR, those all sound pretty awful, tbh.

The new Eureka Seven series has me worried. I really enjoyed the first one.

Steam
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Also I am adding this to my list of reasons why I regret moving from Scotland:

http://road.cc/content/news/56074-ride-cobbled-climbs-ronde-van-edinburgh-tomorrow-then-watch-tour-flanders-tv
    I know there are a bunch of reasons for this but it is hilarious to see 'Ronde van (Dutch) Edinburgh and Tour de (French) Flanders (English) mixed like that. It should be Ronde van Vlaanderen, or Tour de Flamand, or perhaps (also ugly) Tour de Edinburgh.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Santorum probably isn't stupid enough to call Obama that.

Santorum has plenty of things he will say which are just as terrible.

Ditto, buuuut I have to give it a chance considering how much I' love the original.

A certain military robot? Ominous!

BobCesca wrote: »
    BR, those all sound pretty awful, tbh.

Just be glad I didnt post the crap then.

edited March 2012

Ditto, buuuut I have to give it a chance considering how much I' love the original.

Did you watch the movie Eureka7: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Also I am adding this to my list of reasons why I regret moving from Scotland:

http://road.cc/content/news/56074-ride-cobbled-climbs-ronde-van-edinburgh-tomorrow-then-watch-tour-flanders-tv
    I know there are a bunch of reasons for this but it is hilarious to see 'Ronde van (Dutch) Edinburgh and Tour de (French) Flanders (English) mixed like that. It should be Ronde van Vlaanderen, or Tour de Flamand, or perhaps (also ugly) Tour de Edinburgh.

Pfft. I will forgive a bit of language mangling for Innis and Gunn, I.J. Mellis cheese, and a big screen TV.

This discussion has been closed.