As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    he is the GOD of THUNDER

Except he's not. He's a member of an advanced alien race who's powers seem godlike to us mere humans.

He's the Alien of Thunder!
    This requires a very strict definition of "god"

dude has vast powers and control over natural forces and was worshipped by people

totally a god

Wouldn't the Goa'uld be gods under that definition?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    he is the GOD of THUNDER

Except he's not. He's a member of an advanced alien race who's powers seem godlike to us mere humans.

This requires a very strict definition of "god"

dude has vast powers and control over natural forces and was worshipped by people

totally a god

So the Goa'uld from Stargate count as gods?

Actually, I retract that. This is a stupid argument, I was just being a dork for the amusement factor. :)

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    None of them are Gods because God is basically a useless term

it would be nice for someone in the comics to mention that at some point, though

I can see Tony Stark saying "Thor, I like you and we are buddies and everything but you are not a God. There are no such things, and anyway the definition is so useless as to actually get in the way of any reasonable thought."

Solar on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    you are unworthy of your av/sig

i cast thee out to midgard where you must take on the av/sig of Donald Blake

bugger that

Thor is cool

even if he is in fact just a fancy alien with an awesome hammer

Munch has said that he is available to do sigs and so on though

so in the future I intend to ask him for either a Beta Ray Bill or a Sentry one

maybe the Silver Surfer, in fact

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I asked him for a Mystique one once and I think he forgot or got waylaid by TLB or something

not that it matters for two months anyway

huntresssig.jpg
    Just ask him again

demand that he pay up

send him threatening PMs with pictures of mint condition original Ted Kord Blue Beetle comics strapped to chairs

each day

a new picture

what's this

someone has dipped the corner of this page in coffee

what a shame...

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    sorry guys but munch is no longer allowed to do anything but chupacomics from here on out

also:

heh heh butt munch

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Thor says he's a god

Anyone who disagrees best be ready to fight

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I don't think that movie Azgardians are supposed to be "Tech". I think that's just an easy way of explaining the idea in the comics that the Cosmic Cubes kind of energy can be used for both tech and magic blurring the lines a bit.

Quire.jpg
    using magic doesn't make you a God though

like, what does make you a God

it's a definition which is so wildly varied depending on the individual as to be useless

Well in the comics at least arn't the pantheons partially created by humans believing in them?

Quire.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    I asked him for a Mystique one once and I think he forgot or got waylaid by TLB or something

Nah, I didn't forget. Someone else asked for a Swamp Thing drawing, which I still haven't done either.

My workspace kinda got screwed up, for reasons I elaborated on in the Creators thread, so I haven't done any physical drawing at all lately, unless it was in my sketchbook. It's still something I intend to do, though.

Well in the comics at least arn't the pantheons partially created by humans believing in them?

Not in Marvel. Don't think DC has it, either.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I love how physical the Hulk looks in the trailers so far. He's not just a really strong CGI guy this time around, he's a freaking force of nature.

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    he is the GOD of THUNDER

So

like Thor in the comics?

Are you sure? Because that is what I took from Sacred Invasion.

Quire.jpg
    edited March 2012

Are you sure? Because that is what I took from Sacred Invasion.

It may have changed. I stopped reading comics before Secret Invasion. Do you know if this was ever shown in other works with deities? Sometimes they'll ignore changes like that.

Harry Dresden on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

Nah, I didn't forget. Someone else asked for a Swamp Thing drawing, which I still haven't done either.

My workspace kinda got screwed up, for reasons I elaborated on in the Creators thread, so I haven't done any physical drawing at all lately, unless it was in my sketchbook. It's still something I intend to do, though.

Oh! That's cool, just teasing. Thank you anyway.

huntresssig.jpg
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    he is the GOD of THUNDER
    641380-ragnarok2_super.jpg

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Good lord is the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon hyper. Maybe if I was ten and had four bowls of frosted flakes in me I would find it a better show.

It's basically Family Guy+Saved By the Bell+Spiderman

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spider-Man is not that good. :(

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Dang, really? Hopefully they bring out more screencap issues, when you're reading you don't have to be on the sugar rush pace. ( I love your example Noir heh)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Who was the Spider-Man character in the beginning of the latest Young Justice?

steam_sig-400.png
    herojoe wrote: »
    Who was the Spider-Man character in the beginning of the latest Young Justice?

Black Spider.

edited April 2012
    That's who I thought but I didn't think he was THAAAAT much of a Spider-Man clone.

Ha turns out he was voiced by the dude that did Spectacular Spider-Man.

herojoe on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    That's who I thought but I didn't think he was THAAAAT much of a Spider-Man clone.

and he was voiced by the guy who voiced peter/spider-man in Spectacular Spider-Man

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Beat me by a minute. I thought it might have something to do with Ultimate Spider-Man, but I doubt there was any way they knew the episode would air close to the premier of Ultimate Spider-Man.

steam_sig-400.png

Ha turns out he was voiced by the dude that did Spectacular Spider-Man.

They changed him for the cartoon to be their Spider-man homage.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I totally forgot to check out Spider-Man and EMH today.

Bummer about Ultimate Spidey, but Ben 10 is pretty terrible, and the moment we saw an actual clip, it became very clear that they were going to keep the standard Men of Action style.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I fell asleep watching the second ep of Ultimate Spidey :(

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Bummer about Ultimate Spidey, but Ben 10 is pretty terrible, and the moment we saw an actual clip, it became very clear that they were going to keep the standard Men of Action style.

I take offense with this.

The original Ben 10 cartoon, is pretty great. The aliens are fun and creative, and it has a cool mythos.

Now, when we got a time skip and Mcduffie came aboard, then it became awful. Anything from then on is pretty bad.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The new episode of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is fantastic (tee hee). They got Dr. Doom pretty much spot on.

BionicPenguin on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I take offense with this.

The original Ben 10 cartoon, is pretty great. The aliens are fun and creative, and it has a cool mythos.

Now, when we got a time skip and Mcduffie came aboard, then it became awful. Anything from then on is pretty bad.

As someone who really liked Ben 10 once upon a time, it wasn't really great. It was decent, sometimes went up to pretty good like with the Ghostfreak arc, but ehhhhh.
    And honestly? You're the first person who I've heard complain about McDuffie coming aboard, lots of my buddies liked the post-time skip stuff.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I thought USM was just fine

the first episode was very cutaway heavy, but still had charm and the second episode was way better because the team is entertaining as hell and it was more dialogue driven

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just watched the first two Ult Spidey episodes, they were average I guess?

I love the cut aways, the little Spider-Man things like the angel and devil, and the other things like that to break reality, they work in between scenes or leading up to a fight. But the main push of each story was just blah. I would have loved to have MJ and Aunt May already know Peter's identity at the start to really make the show stand out from every other Spidey cartoon, and tie it closer to comics before Peter got killed, as a way to syngergize with the 30 USM trades ready for pint-sized purchase. Kind of like up to USM #154 or whatever the comic breaks off and becomes the TV show, that would have been such a nice concept to work with.

Animation wise, the show feels stuttered. You can tell some of the animation is dragged out for an extra second or two to kill time, sort of like Justice League did (but not JLU), and some of the stuff feels static and kind of bland. Spidey also looks less like a 15 year old, and more like just a short guy. I don't know why they didn't stick to the Bagley USM model, which looked like a kid hero with the peanut M&M head. The same for all the other heroes, outside of Nova. Luke Cage's voice also felt off. Everyone else seemed fine, but no more Stan Lee.

And I can't get this image out of my head now, especially in scenes where Peter has a smug look:

usm.jpg

Peter needs to have a bigger waves at the front or a slimmer chin to stop that similarity.

I've never seen a Ben 10 episode before or any of the other cartoons out there these days outside of one or two Avengers episodes, so I don't know how to compare it to anything else Man of Action has done. I'm not trying to to be dismissive in this so don't take it the wrong way, but with these two episodes it feels like a show made for kids that adults might just happen to like, whereas JLU or X-Men Evolution was a show that seemed to work just as hard to attract comic readers as a young audience. I thought Dini's influence would give us more of the latter, but it didn't.

• Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Just caught the first two of USM myself - so far it's no Spectacular Spider-Man but I'll take it. I'm a sucker for just about any Spider-Man cartoon and the zaniness of this one makes it easy for me and my kids to watch

steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    GL:TAS: YES!
    St. Walker has already shown up. And it looks like Mogo is here as well.

This discussion has been closed.