As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Episode 3 game by Zeboyd coming in 2012

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Penny Arcade Games
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2011/082611a.html

So the guys that made Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death are making Episode 3. No idea if it'll follow what's already been published or if it'll be anew story.

Their website.
http://zeboyd.com/

Also if you don't know the guys making the game actually post here on the forums. I'm sure they'll be by soon enough with more info.

deadonthestreet on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Woot woot! Can't wait for this!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS

• SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    Also if you don't know the guys making the game actually post here on the forums. I'm sure they'll be by soon enough with more info.

You

You don't know who they are or why they've been given the game, do you

pa_sig.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much of a departure from the e-book version the game'll be.

H9f4bVe.png
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    SpaceDrake wrote:

You

You don't know who they are or why they've been given the game, do you
    Maybe you can enlighten us?

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Slash, he of the DNF preorder, and RainbowD ring any bells?

newSig.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Oh man, I saw the promotional insert but it never clicked in my (PAX-weary) brain. This is the best thing

• AnnaThemaAnnaThema Registered User regular
    OTRSPOD Ep. 1 was the first game I ever played to completion, so I have a special place in my heart for this series. That being said, I don't have the sentimental attachment everyone else seems to have in regards to 16 bit animation. Being SOOPER into Penny Arcade before I ever picked up a controller, I really loved that PAA was true to Mike's art. Now it's just going to look like... what? Mario?

Oh well. I'm done being butthurt over the style and back to being excited that we're gonna get to finish the storyline in a playable fashion. So... Hooray! Ish!

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Yeah! My decision not to read the written story for ep three in the hopes the game would one day come out has been validated! I have absolutely no problem with zeboyd making this, I really liked CSTW, even the 16 bit graphics.

• GenoForPrezGenoForPrez Registered User regular
    This is absolutely great, not just because it means the series will continue, but also because it keeps the series fresh. I'm sure there will be some who look at the new graphical style and lament the loss of the old--especially in regard to how Ep.1 & 2 did such nice work reproducing Mike's art style in 3D and how the pixel art will mean a loss of the Penny Arcade "look". But actually, regardless of any of the reasons that have led up to this, I would have thought it was a great move even if this was the original plan.

1) Penny Arcade has always been about a love of video games. By shifting graphical styles, this is not only a nod to old school gamers, but also a sort of meta message about Penny Arcade's love of gaming in general. Penny Arcade loves all kinds of games. It would make sense that a Penny Arcade game franchise would want to travel through all of them, if not in genre, at least in art style. Whether the series tries out other looks or stays in this one, I'm perfectly happy. This still feels very Penny Arcade to me.

2) Possibly less work for Mike and Jerry. 2D pixel graphics are far easier to work with than 3D graphics, especially given where technology is now. One of my few nitpicks about Ep. 1 & 2 was that, while they were good at what they did do, they seemed a little too straightforward. The story in the game is pretty consistently outrageous and/or bombastic, while the gameplay---not always or in all ways, but a lot of the time---felt pretty A to B. So I'm hoping (though of course I couldn't know) that this will mean less work for both Mike & Jerry. Mike doesn't have to constantly monitor whether everything looks enough like the comic, and the pressure on Jerry might be less since he's working with people who have already proven themselves to be very funny on their own! I'm hoping all of this adds up to not only a happier dev process, but also a lot more creative flourish.

Very much looking forward to the results.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bought. I love the first two, and really lamented that the 3rd one didn't get made. Hopefully, the player character will return with a new garden tool.

"Come, shears, let us begin our dark work!"

• kukourikukouri Kotka, FinlandRegistered User new member
    This game, by this studio. What's not to love. Seriously, they couldn't have had a better bunch of guys make this. If you haven't picked up their other titles (Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World) you really really should. These guys get humor and classic RPG play.

• zombiefriendzombiefriend Registered User regular
    I actually bought Cthulhu Saves the World on Steam just to see what the big deal is with these guys, and especially the game. I am now that much more excited for Episode 3.

mmmmm
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    Wait.

Wait wait...

Seriously?

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Any news on this yet? Teasers? Trailers? Anything?

• tragikostragikos Registered User new member
    I really want that completeness feeling. Want that episode 3! :P

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So... this is a thing that is actually happening?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• RevolverKazRevolverKaz Mr. Saskatoon, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sweet. I have both PAOTRSPOD and BoD and CSTW and I can't wait for the next episode especially if Zeboyd is in on it.

• gigabumsgigabums Registered User regular
    So the game is being developed in a completely different style by a completely different company?
    I am hesitant, we shall have to see.

• GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    gigabums wrote: »
    So the game is being developed in a completely different style by a completely different company?

I wouldn't be. I talked with Zeboyd them seem like they are taking the project pretty seriously.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/156707/interview-with-zeboyd-games-on-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-3#Item_1

• gigabumsgigabums Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Golem wrote: »
    gigabums wrote: »

I wouldn't be. I talked with Zeboyd them seem like they are taking the project pretty seriously.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/156707/interview-with-zeboyd-games-on-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-3#Item_1

Being enthusiastic and taking the property seriously is nice, but I am not going to buy a game for the title if the gameplay does not match previous iterations.

If Naughty dog made a Bejewelled: First Recon FPS, I would base my purchase on the merits of the game itself rather than those of it's predecessor.
    That, to me at least, seems like the wiser decision.

gigabums on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade's On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness 3 does not play like the previous games. I happen to think it plays a lot better but I'm a bit biased. :)

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    Oh, I didn't even think that you'd actually be at PAX.

To...show off the game you made.

For Penny Arcade.

At the Penny Arcade Expo.

I mean, who'd ever think that would happen?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I hope it keeps the Mario RPG action elements.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I just read the Joystiq article... I'm sad to see that the new game won't be coming to PSN, but I'm glad I'll be able to continue the series on the iPad. The screenshots look really cool.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Honestly I think it looks awesome after reading the joystiq article I can't wait.

steam_sig.png
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Any reason why PlayStation owners are getting the shaft on this one?

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • xepherysxepherys Registered User regular
    I hate to be "that guy," but is anyone else disappointed they are going the XBLI route rather than XBLA? I admit that, in part, my inner cheevo-whore is the part that is primarily disappointed, but there's also an OCD aspect that I can't continue the game in PRECISELY the same venue as I played 1 and 2.

Regardless, I will buy it. Just with a look of despair on my face.

fs_overall.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Any reason why PlayStation owners are getting the shaft on this one?

We have experience with XBLIG and PC. We (and the company doing the smartphone & tablet ports) don't have any experience with making anything for any Playstation platform. However, with that said, we're looking into it.

And yes, no achievements with XBLIG. On the other hand, we can price the game at a low price point with XBLIG whereas with XBLA, we would be at the mercy of Microsoft's pricing whims (which would mean a $10-$20 price tag).

Really love the graphics. Very old school cool.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Zeboyd is upgrading to 16 bit graphics. You sell outs!

Is the PC version going through Steam? Or am I one of the few people that remembers Greenhouse?

YL9WnCY.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Is the PC version going through Steam? Or am I one of the few people that remembers Greenhouse?

It's not completely forgotten. I bought the first two games through Greenhouse. ... then re-purchased them later on Steam.

I'm glad to see the game is keeping a pseudo-real time battle system. I'll miss the timed Paper Mario-style blocking/super attacking if it didn't make the cut, though

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

We're planning to release this on Steam, yes. :)

• lrigknatlrigknat Registered User new member
    I feel it's fair to say this is the coolest thing in the history of ever.

• DragonryderDragonryder The Bizarre One Behind you.Registered User new member
    Le newbie here, please don't bite. I kinda only recently discovered Penny Arcade (and OTRSPOD) and words cannot express how excited I am to have a promise of Episode 3 in the near future!!

Anyway, I had a question. Forgive me if it's been answered somewhere, I read through this thread and didn't see anything about it. Will we still be playing as a creatable character, with Gabe and Tycho (and, based on screenshots, Anne?) in our party, or will we just be playing Gabe and Tycho directly? (I know the novella-version of Ep. 3 omitted the player character, but I assumed that was more to do with the difficulty of including a customizable character in a story than anything else....)

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I just read the article about this on RPS and saw the screen shots, this looks great and I can't wait. When do I get to give you guys my hard earned cash?

• slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, we can't give out too many details about the gameplay yet, but once it's out on display at PAX we ought to be able to talk more about it in more detail. You can figure out a number of things by looking at the screenshots though!

Our expected release date is this summer, but we haven't announced a specific day yet.

Crossposting over here to say that Zeboyd's first two games (Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World) are the daily deals on Steam. If you're not familiar with their past work and want to check it out, $1.50 gets you a bundle containing both games.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8848/

soempty.jpg
  • Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    I just played the demo today. It looks and feels so much like a Final Fantasy game I have got to have a copy for myself when it's finally complete!

Bad Asp wrote: »
    I just played the demo today. It looks and feels so much like a Final Fantasy game I have got to have a copy for myself when it's finally complete!

How were the battles triggered? Random like in Final Fantasy, or are there enemies on the map that you bump into like in Earthbound/the Mario RPGs/Precipice 1&2?

soempty.jpg