As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have a pimple that is not a pimple, on my thigh

ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have this spot on my thigh that looks like a pimple. But it's not a pimple. It's been there for at least a month now. It doesn't pop when I poke at it, like a real pimple would. It's not oozy, or sore, it hasn't really changed since I first noticed it a month ago. Yes I plan on mentioning it to my doctor when I next see him, but that's a little ways away yet. Pictures spoilered. Any ideas?
7031249155_426b5213f7_s.jpg
DSC00585 by someone, on Flickr

7031249165_b022a2240e_s.jpg
DSC00587 by someone, on Flickr

ihmmy on

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    it's an ingrown hair, most likely

if it starts to hurt or anything, have your doc to lance it

but you don't need to worry about it much unless the redness around it spreads

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Uhm. Have you been out in the sun much lately?

Either way, if it doesn't go away see a dermatologist. It could be an ingrown hair, sebaceous cyst, or something more serious. Or nothing. A derm will know.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Uhm. Have you been out in the sun much lately?

Either way, if it doesn't go away see a dermatologist. It could be an ingrown hair, sebaceous cyst, or something more serious. Or nothing. A derm will know.

I went to Mexico in January, but the not-pimple is high enough up on my thigh that it's a spot that doesn't see sun.

I'll mention it to my doc when I go in for my physical, but so far it doesn't seem like something worth panicking over, huzzah!

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    It's probably a small nodule of keratin, the main protein component of skin. It is a bit like a zit, but the keratin forms a solid plug which is deeper under the skin, so you can't squeeze it out. I can't remember their real name at the moment.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    It's probably a small nodule of keratin, the main protein component of skin. It is a bit like a zit, but the keratin forms a solid plug which is deeper under the skin, so you can't squeeze it out. I can't remember their real name at the moment.

Milia, I believe

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Last time I had something like this (right above a cheekbone), what I did was what I usually do to remove a zit-- that is, pinch it after cleaning my fingers as best as I could with soap and rubbing alcohol-- but with more room than usual. Like, instead of right up against the sides, about 10mm away to either side. Took a bit but I was able to drain it out and it hasn't... refilled. Never had an ingrown hair that lasted a month. Is this thing firm, distinct apart from appearance? Really obviously different against the flesh of your thigh?

aTBDrQE.jpg