As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Myths & Monsters, of Brawls & Uprisings: The Kid Icarus Thread

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The entire fusing and gem system goes unexplained...damn you lack of a manual.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I don't have any good weapons. I've been using either my mediocre Orb Staff or my wimpy Twinbellows Cannon. I seem to get constantly killed by people using super-powerful one or two shot weapons, but they never die, so I can't gauge how powerful they are health-wise.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The entire fusing and gem system goes unexplained...damn you lack of a manual.

What did you need explained? I think it's all completely self evident except for one or two things...the only thing I wasn't sure of is whether I would lose the weapon I converted to a gem for streetpassing (you don't, and you can give it out multiple times to everyone).

You get gems from spotpass or streetpass. Press X on a gem to see how much it costs to buy the weapon inside. Alternatively you can fuse gems together and pay for the resulting item to claim it.

Fusing takes two weapons and creates a new one. They both are gone forever and the new weapon takes their place. I don't think any manual could've explained (or would've wanted to explain) which fused weapon types result in which general type result, which individual fused weapons make a specific result, or what causes stars/abilities to be transferred over.

It seems that A) the two weapon values are averaged and a small amount of value is added to it, which means fusing high and low values is a bad decision, and B) weapons have a "budget" of how much of their value goes to abilities and how much goes to stars. If you suddenly have less stars, the weapon is picking up some nice valuable abilities. Likewise if you can fuse away abilities, you'll gain stars.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Is there any way to clear a weapon set in the online multiplayer lobby, or can you only change them?

FU7kFbw.png
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I brought uprising the other day while Target was doing a buy-2-get-1 deal (along with Sonic Generations and Rayman Origins), and I absolutely love the enthusiasm of the whole game - from the voice acting and script to the actual gameplay. I'm using the Slider to move and the face buttons to aim since I'm used to that kind of thing from the old N64 days, and apart from needing to tweak the reticule a bit to speed it up I'm not having much of a problem with it. Maybe later I'll try chapter 1 again on Intensity 5 to get myself a baseline for how tough the game can be with this control scheme.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am past the
    Fake Ending
    Nice new bad guy.

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am past the
    Fake Ending
    Nice new bad guy.

He's just a big, trans-spiritual, trans-dimensional, mmmm, being from transylvaaniaaaaa

(yeah i dont care if it makes sense I just wanted to make the reference :P

Any decent online manuals for this game? Even though there's in-game guides on how to play, there's no instructions at all about what the weapon stars and value means, nor the fusion system or gems.

FU7kFbw.png
    There is no official source of information. Players are meant to figure it out through testing.

I read something about how stars effect the weapon's base damage, like 3 stars = 190% damage, 6 stars = 280% damage or something. But the damage is different for every weapon, you have to go into practice mode and see how much you're dealing with "smash attacks," regular attacks etc. Same for abilities.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    man i either own it up in light vs dark or all out suck.

I don't really understand melee vs melee fights. either i get a 3 hit combo on the guy and then he flies up into the air and falls down or i just get smashed around like 8 times and die. sometimes it seems like my attacks just get canceled out and i get owned.

is there any way to make the stylus control more sensitive? I went into options but it only lets you recalibrate. shit needs to be way more sensitive imo

also how are palms i havent tried em yet.

im a pretty big fan of just following one my team mates and chilling at a distance while spamming the ridiculously huge club ranged attack and stealing kills. when I get angel I just try to hide, snipe from afar, and hope my team mates are competent enough to kill the other angel in time.

alsoalso how do you tell which ones are bots and which are real people.

also3 how the fuck do powers even work i got this power called sky jump that says i can jump in place how do i do this nintendo

iowa on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    bots have obvious Nintendo names and are wicked easy to kill if you're experienced.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    what does the daybreak do

I don't want to ruin the surprise.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So should I spend much time worrying about weapon fusing? I find myself getting caught up in stars and abilities transferring and stuff, but then notice the (absurdly priced) weapons for sale that are much better than what I have now. I can't afford to fuse gems yet, so it's mostly been weapons found in single player.

Yeah, should I just focus on finishing the game first? I just finished stage 4 btw.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BebopSamuraiBebopSamurai Registered User regular
    You'll get access to alot more weapons as you go through, so I'd recommend beating it at least once before really focusing on fusing (some of your fusion options will be locked out until you find their in-game equivalent anyway).

And going through levels on higher difficulties (even from 3.1 to 4.1 or something like that) will usually net statistically better stuff. Fusing is alot of fun though, once you figure out how it all works and how to benefit the most from certain matches.

Gamertag: DrinksYurMlkshk
    PSN ID: suzukaGongen
    You'll get access to alot more weapons as you go through, so I'd recommend beating it at least once before really focusing on fusing (some of your fusion options will be locked out until you find their in-game equivalent anyway).

And going through levels on higher difficulties (even from 3.1 to 4.1 or something like that) will usually net statistically better stuff. Fusing is alot of fun though, once you figure out how it all works and how to benefit the most from certain matches.

OK cool. I've been playing on 5.0 difficulty so far. Usually beating the bosses with a sliver of life remaining, so that seems about right. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I beat level 9. Then I lol'd.

As far as fusing goes, whenever Palutena is selling a cheap (900 or less) heart weapon, I buy it, since that's pocket change and you can always fuse it upward or use it to get specific other fusions.

Also weapons with no abilities can be really helpful. Think about it: if you can fuse a high value weapon with no abilities on it, you can fuse that with other weapons to carry over their abilities but also boost their hearts (as opposed to having to accept some combination of abilities from both).
    Houn wrote: »
    I beat level 9. Then I lol'd.

I hope you lol'd for a good reason, not because you were like "screw this game I'm not playing one second more?"

It gets really great from there on out.

I would be buying more weapons but I keep offering hearts to the goddess. 200k and counting.

200k?! WTH you get so many hearts? I've got like 15k after 4 levels. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Two ways to get tons of hearts:

1. Play on very high intensities.

2. Play an ungodly amount of multiplayer.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I actually wish you got a few more hearts from multiplayer. The hearts really aren't vital (you have a much better chance to win a great weapon from a level than to buy one from the store).

I will note it took nearly 45m to get through level 9. Without dying. On Intensity 4.

That's not portable at all, Sakurai!

so stars are just a damage measurement. hearts on range means higher range damage/hearts on melee mean higher melee damage

is this right

some of my shit has zero hearts so it just sucks???

and whats an empty heart even mean geeezus

half.

iowa wrote: »
    so stars are just a damage measurement. hearts on range means higher range damage/hearts on melee mean higher melee damage

is this right

some of my shit has zero hearts so it just sucks???

Right. Well, kind of. It "only" does 100% of its normal damage, and not 120%, 150%, etc.

It sucks by comparison to everyone else who will be playing online with godlike weapons.
    Two ways to get tons of hearts:

1. Play on very high intensities.

2. Play an ungodly amount of multiplayer.

3. ~23,000 hearts available here.

By the way, there is an achievement thingy for getting a million hearts. I hope this is having earned a million, and not having it in your possession.

Also, here is a way to kind of cheat on fusions if you have a friend or sibling who also has a 3DS and this game!

Step 1: Start up a second file in their game and scan all the above cards, which is probably the fastest way to get 23,000 hearts.

Step 2: Streetpass your best weapon over to that file.

Step 3: Make that file buy the weapon and set it as their own streetpass gem.

Step 4: Streetpass it back to yourself and buy it as many times as you want.

This way you can make (expensive) backups of your best weapons before fusing them away.

You'll notice that as you go along that sometimes you'll get low star weapons with incredible abilities, and losing those abilities when transfusing gives you tons of stars so it's all about balance.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I can't beat
    Boss Battles on Normal. :( There are way too many bosses for this kind of thing!!

I would be buying more weapons but I keep offering hearts to the goddess. 200k and counting.

I've given a ton of hearts to Palutena
    but it keeps a separate count for Veridi, and her menu is way cooler, so I pretty much had to start over.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Beam Claws are awesome. That is all.

Finished Chapter 5 on Intensity 5.0, and this game so far has been absolutely incredible. Sakurai, you magnificent bastard, don't ever change.

Well, I'm going to go ahead and post it and hope I don't fight any of you in Together mode... the Magnus club is so unbalanced it's silly. I have been keeping an eye out for a decent one (4.5 range, 4 melee) and now I decimate every match. Not like 1400 to 1000... like 3000 to 900 being the next highest score. It does at least 75% of a life bar with the RANGED attack (short range, but still) and the backdash charged attack is a massive area of effect damage-over-time effect. If people are clumped together it's not unusual to kill 2-3 people in one shot. I really hope they can patch it. Until then, I'm having a blast :)

It also could simply be that I found the weapon for me, but I don't think it's a coincidence that it's a banned weapon in the PAX tournament.

A really good Ogre club is basically as awesome, longer ranged, and more importantly, not banned.

You play enough though and you'll find ways to stop Magnus club users. Really good Silver bows for examples, or fuck even the right cannon!

A really good Ogre club is basically as awesome, longer ranged, and more importantly, not banned.

You play enough though and you'll find ways to stop Magnus club users. Really good Silver bows for examples, or fuck even the right cannon!

Good to know. I only played around with a black club before the Magnus and could barely hit people with it. I'll keep trying other clubs!

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    I'll agree with whoever said having your Intensity level drop if you die sucks. Sakurai, I don't care if I lose more hearts, I want to beat the level on the highest intensity!

I'm addicted to fusing. After every play session I hop into the fusing menu to see what I can create. As a side note, I sort of wish there was some kind of back catalog of the weapons/fuses you've attained and could then re-pull them at a price.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote: »
    I'll agree with whoever said having your Intensity level drop if you die sucks. Sakurai, I don't care if I lose more hearts, I want to beat the level on the highest intensity!

If you die and start from a checkpoint, you're not really beating it on the difficulty level you chose, are you? What would be the point if the only effect of dying was that you get your life refilled and your powers restored? So the idea is that if you want to beat it at 9.0, you have to ACTUALLY beat it at 9.0, without cheesing through it.

edited April 2012
    I have a Babel Club with Petrification +4, Shot Homing +3, and Shot Range +3.

Now I have to somehow find some other weapon I can fuse it all onto without losing anything or gaining other crap abilities that take away from its potential stars. Hopefully something like an Angel Bow...

UncleSporky on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    What in the world...what just happened? O_o

I just beat the game, and I just don't even know...but it was awesome!
    You beat Medusa, then Hades jumps in and spoils your celebration. Then Veridi gets in the middle and starts killing humans left and right. Then Aliens start taking over the world, and all the gods team up to take them down.

Then three years later, you wake up trapped in a ring and find out that Palutena went evil. Veridi joins your side and helps you take her down. Turns out it's an interdimensional creature that made her go evil and you and Pittoo chase it down in another dimension. You save Pittoo, burn up your wings and he then goes to save Pit. You take down a newly regenerated Pandora so you can save Pittoo again.

Then you finally go after Hades. He destroys the sacred treasures and then EATS! you. Many poop jokes follow and you blast out of his chest. Then you go through a test to be found worthy of a different sacred treasure that can defeat Hades and it turns out to be....A GIANT FLYING MECH!

I mean, how did this story develop, it changed focus and direction and introduced random elements so much that I cannot really wrap my head around it, but it still all worked. Hands down, one of my favorite games this year, and the story and dialogue were top notch. Awesome stuff.

Sakurai, you crazy genius. 8->

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote: »

If you die and start from a checkpoint, you're not really beating it on the difficulty level you chose, are you? What would be the point if the only effect of dying was that you get your life refilled and your powers restored? So the idea is that if you want to beat it at 9.0, you have to ACTUALLY beat it at 9.0, without cheesing through it.

Getting slagged midway or right before the boss, forcing you to go through the entire level again becomes annoying. What's the point of a checkpoint if I'm not even going to want to stay at that level? I'd even trade refreshed powers and all the hearts if it meant I could simply have another go at beating the level without changing the difficulty. As it stands, not having the option to choose really bites. If you kick the bucket, then it also means having to restart a flight sequence in most cases rather than the Ground phase.

It's mostly for doors, treasure panels, and weapon farming at this point. I haven't even begun to consider
    the unlockable 10.0 Intensity.

What's brilliant about the system is that it will make you want to keep playing at that top difficulty over and over again. The question then becomes if the drain and strain these levels can force is worth it to you.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    I just don't think there's any point in even having difficulty levels in a game like this if you can just start from a checkpoint with no penalty. And you said it yourself, losing hearts isn't a penalty if what you're really trying to get is the "9.0" badge on the stage select, or unlock a spot on the treasure hunt. This system isn't perfect, but the only reasonable alternative to me is just making you restart from the beginning every time, and this is much better than that.

The way it is now already makes it easier than it should be to cheese through intensity levels lower than the maximum. If you want to beat it at 8.0, the easiest way is to start at 9.0 and get as far as you can, then restart from a checkpoint at 8.0.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I finally bothered to use the AR cards since the free gift came in and wow. Nobody tell Wizards of the Coast how addictive this can get.

It had Palutena (rare) in it :winky:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767