As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    So I'm finally all caught up after watching series six and I still have one nagging question.
    Just where does the church stand in all of this? In Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone they recruited Dr. Song to infiltrate the byzantine and investigate the weeping angel not to mention they implied that they intended on keeping Dr. Song prisoner.

But in this series they repeatedly helped out the silence kidnap and brainwash Melody in order to kill the Doctor. So why are the church keeping Dr. Song locked up for a crime that they helped make her commit?

Congratulations, you've found yet another one of the plotholes that makes Moffat who pretty terrible on the whole

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    So I'm finally all caught up after watching series six and I still have one nagging question.
    Just where does the church stand in all of this? In Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone they recruited Dr. Song to infiltrate the byzantine and investigate the weeping angel not to mention they implied that they intended on keeping Dr. Song prisoner.

But in this series they repeatedly helped out the silence kidnap and brainwash Melody in order to kill the Doctor. So why are the church keeping Dr. Song locked up for a crime that they helped make her commit?

Congratulations, you've found yet another one of the plotholes that makes Moffat who pretty terrible on the whole

:lol:
    ... oh. you're serious?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

... oh. you're serious?

Isn't it a question of timelines?
    I.E. the prison is later on in the timeline, where the church may have reformed. Or the prison is after the universe finds out the Doctor isn't dead, so the prison is keeping River there because she DIDN'T kill him and they're covering it up so the Silence backs the fuck off, or she kills someone else. Like Rory.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

... oh. you're serious?

Yep

The atrocities Moffat commits against continuity and, you know, narrative vastly outweigh Davies' fart monsters

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Umm, Isn't it
    Because they're in on the 'Doctor is dead' conspiracy. If they didn't imprison River then people would question why the hell they're letting the woman who killed the 'greatest man ever' go free. Instead they keep her 'imprisoned' and whenever she needs to leave her maximun security prison run by the church she can do so incredibly easily because they know she didn't do it but they need to keep up appearances. For the sake of the Doctor, and the universe and what not.

edit:

I read that wrong. Point still stands though that
    River Song can somehow escape from the universe's greatest prison (was it described as that? Not sure, been a while but its definately a super prison) at will and her jailers can do nothing to stop her. Almost like they're letting her. You'd think after the 3rd escape that if they were really serious about keeping her in jail they'd just tie her hands together and tie her to a pole or something.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't think they're in on it;
    Octavious was pretty hostile towards River, because she killed the Doctor. I got the vibe that the church is pretty mad at her for it.

But then earlier on, the Doctor was an enemy of the church anyway, when they were working for Kovarian, so what do they care?

We're missing the middle part where the Doctor buddies up with the church in the first place.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Octavious was pretty hostile towards River, because she killed the Doctor. I got the vibe that the church is pretty mad at her for it.

But then earlier on, the Doctor was an enemy of the church anyway, when they were working for Kovarian, so what do they care?

We're missing the middle part where the Doctor buddies up with the church in the first place.

Errrr....
    is it the same church? I never thought so until I read that here...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah, they got the same Omega patches and everything!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    To be fair, gearing up to kill the Doctor, have him show up in your base with an army, make fools of you, capture you all with almost 0 casualties, and then just let you all go with no repercussions would probably earn the Doctor a lot of respect. Mind you, it was all Kovarian's plan and trap, but I doubt she would have batted an eye had the Doctor come in all guns blazing and every Church soldier died.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

I'm just honestly hoping there's an episode in the new series dealing with River's arrest and imprisonment, maybe include the doctor rooting out the corrupt dudes at the top.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I'm just honestly hoping there's an episode in the new series dealing with River's arrest and imprisonment, maybe include the doctor rooting out the corrupt dudes at the top.
    I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

But we still need to know who is running the whole show and who yelled SILENCE WILL FALL at the end of Season 5, so there's still time!

• Options
    Yeah, they got the same Omega patches and everything!

Ok, based on the Doctor Who wiki, you guys are half-right. In a sort of timey wimey way.
    It is the same Church, but the chronology is incorrect. First, they trust the Doctor, and distrust River since she killed the Doctor. The fact that she killed the Doctor is apparently known fairly well throughout time.

It is in the next century, however, that they conspire with the Silence to actually arrange that. So something happens that causes them to change their allegiance, such as learning of the Question or whatever (which I assume we'll get more on this season).

So it's backwards from what's been suggested here. It's not that something happened to make them trust the Doctor, or respect him more. It's the opposite.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I thought it was the other way around, since
    it was implied that the museum they find the home box at the start of Time Of Angels is Demon's Run a century later? "This asteroid is the final resting place of the Headless Monks"

So the battle of Demon's Run has to happen before Time of Angels, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Except it had been there for at least a while, to end up in a museum and such.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I thought it was the other way around, since
    it was implied that the museum they find the home box at the start of Time Of Angels is Demon's Run a century later? "This asteroid is the final resting place of the Headless Monks"

So the battle of Demon's Run has to happen before Time of Angels, right?

Well, here's the link that says otherwise: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Church
    Angels, Demon's Run, then sending River in the suit to kill the Doctor.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options

I'm honestly hoping that the premiere kills the fuck out of River for ever and ever retroactively so Moffat can knock it the fuck off with her already

She worked really well in Silence in the Library, and has been utterly ridiculous ever since

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    After the S6 finale, I'm done with River. I don't think there's anything interesting left to be done with her.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, no, I goofed. The home box is in the museum for a whole buncha years, so of course that section is set after Demon's Run. Kime got it right. :3

I could go for more River, she's pretty great in Silence In The Library and Time Of Angels, imo. She's a good support character, I just hated seeing a whole series arc revolve around her. And then Series 6 went ahead and
    closed every possible avenue for more non-Alex Kingston River stories
    so oops.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The whole handling of River's past in Season 6, in retrospect, really, really drives me crazy.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    Is there still an Easter special? Will BBCA be showing it day and date of the BBC premiere like they did with the Christmas special?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The whole handling of River's past in Season 6, in retrospect, really, really drives me crazy.

It's kind of amazing how they built up the idea that she killed the Doctor, then took away any possible agency she might have had in the matter, not to mention he ended up not dying anyway.

• Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular

Superb trailer, and now that Ben Browder is paying a visit to the Who-verse it's going to be next to impossible for me to wait for this series to start up again.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Damn hell I didn't even notice that was Ben Browder the first time. Now I'm going to be sad to see him and it's just going to be a one off.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Is there still an Easter special? Will BBCA be showing it day and date of the BBC premiere like they did with the Christmas special?

I don't think so. I think new episodes don't start until the fall, but I have totally lost track with all of the shit that happened involving the show taking time off.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    There are five episodes in the fall, then a break, then the Xmas special, then seven episodes in 2013, hopefully in the spring but I'm not sure.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    One of the neat things about this version of the Doctor is that they really like to use large and colorful backdrops.

• Options
    Lil' spoiler on a returning enemy for Series 7;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_120330_02
    Not much had been confirmed about the Doctor's forthcoming adventures but we think it's safe to say we can expect to see the return of perhaps the Doctor's most legendary foe. Here are some sneaky pictures fresh from the set of Doctor Who where the Daleks are being wheeled before the cameras once again. But which design? The answer is ALL OF THEM!

I wonder if that's all the 2005+ designs, or really ALL of em? :P

One of the pics looks like the fossilized Dalek from The Big Bang, but with the old style smaller gun? Maybe that's an old style 60s one covered in dust?

Also an all black case - that's a classic only design, right? Can't recall any of the modern ones being all black...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Not much had been confirmed about the Doctor's forthcoming adventures but we think it's safe to say we can expect to see the return of perhaps the Doctor's most legendary foe. Here are some sneaky pictures fresh from the set of Doctor Who where the Daleks are being wheeled before the cameras once again. But which design? The answer is ALL OF THEM!

One of the pics looks like the fossilized Dalek from The Big Bang, but with the old style smaller gun? Maybe that's an old style 60s one covered in dust?

Also an all black case - that's a classic only design, right? Can't recall any of the modern ones being all black...

Dalek Sec was all black.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The one covered in dust is the original 60's Dalek. Here's another pic:
    tumblr_m1t4yp73sE1qijoeyo2_500.jpg
    I remember Moffat once saying that if he had to do another Dalek story, he'd put The Doctor in the middle of a Dalek city or something, as that's the only thing that could really make the idea of Daleks scary again. Maybe that's what he's going for with all these Daleks in one episode.

Igort on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

... oh. you're serious?

Yep

The atrocities Moffat commits against continuity and, you know, narrative vastly outweigh Davies' fart monsters

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, but being the internet and all it's hard to tell still..

• Options
    Igort wrote: »

I remember Moffat once saying that if he had to do another Dalek story, he'd put The Doctor in the middle of a Dalek city or something, as that's the only thing that could really make the idea of Daleks scary again. Maybe that's what he's going for with all these Daleks in one episode.

That would be pretty great. My favorite Dalek episodes remain Genesis and the original Hartnell serial.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »

That would be pretty great. My favorite Dalek episodes remain Genesis and the original Hartnell serial.
    Well that depends...

It would be awesome and scary
    to have the Doctor running and hiding as countless Daleks hunt him on all directions. The Doctor crouching in darkness, terrified, holding his breath hoping the Daleks gliding on the other side of the wall do not spot him. At the end of the episode, the Doctor barely escapes with his life.

It would be lame and boring
    to have the Doctor stroll around the Dalek city, chatting away, walking past Dalek after Dalek without a single of them trying to stop him. At the end of the episode, the Doctor effortlessly destroys the entire city and all the Daleks, except possibly one single Dalek that escapes and swears to return for a sequel.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yes, this is true, if the story is good it would be good but if it's crap it would be awful. I prefer to remain hopeful, though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I find armies of Daleks thoroughly underwhelming. They're at their best when there's just one, barely functional, and still racking up the kills. 'Dalek' the episode took it a little too far, giving it a shield and downloading the internet, but The Big Bang hit it juuust right, imo.

I'd love to see the Doctor scared of em again, and if the 6th series ending was all about bringing the Doctor out of the universes' spotlight then maybe we'll get it; he can't pull the Stonehenge stunt again if his reputation is gone.

Might be cool to see a Dalek civil war though! The iDaleks didn't care much for the Time War versions, maybe they'd be superior assholes to the classic 60s ones too.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    That's interesting, but it would need some handwaving because the iDaleks were supposed to be a rebirth of the original Daleks since the ones from Victory were the Daleks that Davros cloned from himself.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Richy wrote: »
    Well that depends...

It would be awesome and scary
    to have the Doctor running and hiding as countless Daleks hunt him on all directions. The Doctor crouching in darkness, terrified, holding his breath hoping the Daleks gliding on the other side of the wall do not spot him. At the end of the episode, the Doctor barely escapes with his life.

It would be lame and boring
    to have the Doctor stroll around the Dalek city, chatting away, walking past Dalek after Dalek without a single of them trying to stop him. At the end of the episode, the Doctor effortlessly destroys the entire city and all the Daleks, except possibly one single Dalek that escapes and swears to return for a sequel.

If there's one thing I feel I can count on when it comes to Moffat, it's that he will always take the scary option over anything else.

Igort on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So, Amy's back. And what looks like Cleopatra. Good. I hope they're a bit more historically accurate with her than what they implied in Series 6... she was not a push-over.

Just a failure. There are much better strong women from African history, like Mrs. Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, The Queen of Sheba, and Queen Nzingha of Ndongo.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bagginses wrote: »
    So, Amy's back. And what looks like Cleopatra. Good. I hope they're a bit more historically accurate with her than what they implied in Series 6... she was not a push-over.

Just a failure. There are much better strong women from African history, like Mrs. Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, The Queen of Sheba, and Queen Nzingha of Ndongo.
    A failure? Don't be ridiculous. She was politically and socially savvy. She was the member of the Ptolemy dynasty that showed the most knowledge of Egyptian culture and society, and was hugely popular with the people. She managed to wrestle the throne from her brother in the middle of a Roman civil war, and kept Egypt an independent state by personally obtaining the favours of two successive Roman leaders. She also ran one of the first PR wars that we know of in history - when the Romans accused her of being a femme fatale serially seducing Caesar and Antony with her feminine wiles, she had Egyptian coins minted showing her as a plain and unattractive person. For want of a single sea battle, Egypt would have remained an independent state under her rule. In the end she chose to commit suicide as a free and proud ruler, rather than be taken as bounty and displayed as a humiliated prisoner in Augustus' triumph in Rome. 2000 years later, ask anyone to name a Queen of Egypt, and out of the whole 3000 years of Pharaonic history and rulers hers is still the name that will pop first in most people's minds.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Bagginses wrote: »

A failure? Don't be ridiculous. She was politically and socially savvy. She was the member of the Ptolemy dynasty that showed the most knowledge of Egyptian culture and society, and was hugely popular with the people. She managed to wrestle the throne from her brother in the middle of a Roman civil war, and kept Egypt an independent state by personally obtaining the favours of two successive Roman leaders. She also ran one of the first PR wars that we know of in history - when the Romans accused her of being a femme fatale serially seducing Caesar and Antony with her feminine wiles, she had Egyptian coins minted showing her as a plain and unattractive person. For want of a single sea battle, Egypt would have remained an independent state under her rule. In the end she chose to commit suicide as a free and proud ruler, rather than be taken as bounty and displayed as a humiliated prisoner in Augustus' triumph in Rome. 2000 years later, ask anyone to name a Queen of Egypt, and out of the whole 3000 years of Pharaonic history and rulers hers is still the name that will pop first in most people's minds.

Mainly because she tied herself to two different powerful people who were branded as enemies of the Roman Empire and lost. You tend to show up a lot when you're involved in two different famous rebellions. In the end, she took a relatively powerful kingdom, made a series of failed alliances, and rendered herself the last of her line (also making her the most recent, and therefor most easy to remember). Compare to the warrior queens of Kush, who frequently fought off the Romans and may have fought off Alexander the Great. It's really hard to believe that she kept Egypt as an independent state when the results of her actions was Egypt losing its independence.

Edit: and, of course, if you want to show a historic last stand, there's always Yaa Asantewaa, although we both know that Dr. Who is never going to show someone standing up to Britain in a positive light.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    An ep about the Queen of Sheba would be pretty cool.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.