As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo DS Paintings! (NSFW)

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Artist's Corner
I am teaching myself how to digitally paint for fun! I am too poor to own Photoshop so I just use my old Nintendo DS ahaha

eFuJs.png

6tP12.png

BNj6J.png

dQqkx.png

Eg0Mt.png

pv2lc.png

xeF86.png

lagS8.png

rwPoR.png

3ryZ5.png

AfwkL.png

And some other quick throwaway doodles I do on the side!

XbCaQ.jpg

1R6Ub.jpg

mnqML.jpg

tK9AT.jpg

I have a lot more, but i'm in a hurry so I have to go!

Godfather on

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    That level of detail can be done on a DS? You should um.. acquire Photoshop by some means and really show what you can do with layers, etc. Lookin' good so far. I also like the mustaches. OH! and don't forget to mark the thread as NSFW, since you know, the boobs.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Nah I'm good, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Speaking of boobies, set brush pens to Hot Bitches!
    TXdn9.jpg

Ax5FK.jpg

vZxLt.jpg

Some line and color speedies
    Rt3Ln.jpg

fGfXB.jpg

5Vt1F.jpg

5NN4s.jpg

And a crappy photo of a sphere I built from imaginationland!
    5kYa2.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    After looking at those studies you just did I would say do some more hand studies. You seem to leave them out of doodles, like chopping them off when you get to that. However you probably already know what you need to work on. I wish I could tell my lines what to draw before they become lines. Heh, hot bitches indeed.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your hand and feet avoidance is pretty strong, yeah. You wont get better at them by leaving them out. I suggest both doing studies and just committing to not doing anymore sketches with them left out. I like the line quality of your inks, though.

Do you have a tablet? There are some good free options for digitally painting.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Zoiks scoob!

I didn't mean to imply that I stray away from hand studies! They're just hard to do with a big 'ol thick-tipped brush pen that it's almost a waste of ink, honest!

I'm drawing some more hands as we speak, so for now here are some hand studies that I do with a regular pen since the tip is a lot smaller:
    VqWCE.jpg

X5lpG.jpg

IS0qM.jpg

My sketchbooks are usually ass-ugly, so I was only posting the best pages/doodles. Usually they look more like this:
    Z6GQy.jpg

QmW7u.jpg

My apologies on the confusion!

Godfather on
  • Options
    Seeing the studies is nice, but for me the advice still stands. I wouldn't avoid them in your DS paintings or cut them lot of drawings, you can suggest hands in a few very small strokes if you commit to it. Give it a shot.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok, gave it a try!
    orrUW.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    lookin gooood

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I think I'll just be painting today, but in the meantime have some more pages and this piggy hat
    91S4e.jpg

T0wQb.jpg

0AbEy.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tattoo commission for a client
    6AmyF.jpg

Birthday gift for my sister :)
    yyibh.jpg

My hand hurts after that one

Godfather on
  • Options
    I found my hand drawing today, tucked away in a portfolio deep under the stairs :D

TAcIh.jpg

I'm going to keep focusing on my anatomy studies for now. I don't really feel that it should be necessary to post the dozens of sketch pages I burn through a day since I'm mainly doing that to understand a concept rather then make something pretty.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    As an amateur commenter, your body studies seem to have a lot of fit, toned bodies with strong muscle definition, and all your breasts seem to be a consistent C cup. Maybe that's the style you're going for, but you might benefit from experimenting with slim, non-muscular bodies, or slightly pudgy bodies, and different types of butts, breasts, necks, and torsos.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It's mainly because I'm studyin how all the muscles work together. I know that most people don't normally look like that, I'm just working out the kinks in my anatomy at the moment. For me personally I just can't move on unless I understand as much as I can about a certain part of the body. Since I only draw with a pen I can't erase the construction lines ahaha

I mainly study muscle groups from anatomy apps on my smartphone. I will start concentrating on more normal looking people! Thank you for the advice!

Godfather on
  • Options
    What apps are you using? I'd be interested.

Do you have any books hanging around? If you dont have this one or this one, Id recommend them for studying the body in part.

I do want to say, however, that when you study the body in part, you miss out on some of the flow of the figure as a whole. Not just gesture, which you have a pretty good sense of, but also proportions. You might want to start a studying in a different pattern. Rather than doing a whole page of leg muscles and then a whole page of forearm muscles, Try something like this:
    Leg muscles sketch page page > studies of the form with strong light, find the geometric shapes > drawing the muscle structure into Nude reference photo, few small poses > slightly Longer study referenced painting.

You want to maximize the amount your brain is actually taking away from the study in the long term. Its kind of like writing an essay. Doing the sketches is like, doing the reading and taking notes. Sometimes you go through all that and when you turn around to finally put all the thoughts together you realize you barely skimmed and your notes are terrible. You want to make sure that when you get to the essay you actually got the information and didnt just do through the motions of notating it. Make sure you dont forget what the leg muscles are by the time you figure out how to draw a nose. Keep putting it all together and try different body types just so your brain is solving the same problem over and over again but in different ways.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh my, I have a lot of information to digest. Thank you very much! I do own the second book but not the first.

I had a lengthy reply in my head but I need to get some stuff done today. Here's some stuff i'm dumping from my DS while I have the time. This first one was just to test out the new hardware on this DS program:

UBLbY.png

The next one is the tattoo comission.
    Warm-up idea. Didn't care for it

pPvMS.png

This is the design the client went with, but couldn't decide which version so I gave him all four!

RwX53.png

PjKJo.png

oLDWo.png

ENtPf.png

And some cool little test animations I did with that Animanitee program on the DS!

http://s14.postimage.org/6017o71wh/Animation01_0.gif

http://s14.postimage.org/asfmddly7/Animation02_1.gif

Unfortunately I couldn't get them to loop so you'll have to refresh your browser :(

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Cowabunga!

YhzO7.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    Oh wow I forgot I made this thread! Better fill it up with some stuff fast!

More DS painting color studies:

XIK6p.jpg

8M1lM.jpg

vF3j4.jpg

ZmkUf.jpg

skzns.jpg

grvdN.jpg

I was playing SSFIV3D and this is the only character i'm any good with:

gy1se.jpg

Everyone said the first image in my OP looked like that guy from Assassin's creed, so I thought i'd come full-circle and work on it a bit more:

CK3J7.jpg

And another portrait of a co-worker using my 3DS instead and a copy of Inchworm animation!:

Z5rU3.jpg

• Options
    Out of curiosity, did you ever try out my advice on studying?

• Options
    Yes I certainly do! It's been quite the help on retaining knowledge, especially when it comes to fabrics :)

Right now my class on lighting started, and since im putting in 50-hour work weeks the only thing I can focus on at the moment is light/color theory!

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    I love this, Godfather, great work! I wish I owned a DS/3DS to try it myself.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Thank you Nic, it means a great deal to hear! :)

Well it turns out I won a local contest at Collecting Smiles! Not only did I win a free copy of Colors 3DS, but I get it a week before it gets put out on the Nintendo store :D

I decided to treat myself to a fun little doodle tonight in celebration!

hLQpd.png

Also I finally figured out how to upload my work on my own account at the official website! You can click the link below to watch how I painted the above image:

http://colorslive.com/details/59797-The_Neon_Deity_by_Parrotine.php

You can also see/watch the rest of my gallery below in case anyone's interested!

http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=32186

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I have some more works in progress on my little DS!

5iYxg.jpg

ktse5.jpg

Also I decided to work on this one a bit more to really get a better neon glow effect

BXZfo.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    I might have missed it before but what program/ game allows you to paint on DS? (I don't own one yet, never have, but I'm thinking of tracking one down after this thread)

• Options
    Actually the new version of Colors! is coming out for the 3DS, You should get that one! It'll have much more robust features and it's a lot easier to access haha. Here's a trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=74JQ61rd7Zo

• Options
    Sold. Now all I need is the money!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If you can do that with a DS you can do amazing things with a tablet I'd bet.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The software costs $8.99 Nic! Pick up a 3DS and go nuts ahaha. I think it comes out at the end of this month!

I use this because photoshop is too expensive ahaha

Godfather on
  • Options
    Get Paint Tool Sai:
    http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/index

Totally worthwhile and cheap. My friend swears by it, and he used it when he was an assistant to the artist for the last Scott Pilgrim book (which says more about its versatility for inking, but he paints purdy images with it too).

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Paint.Net could work too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Huh, how about that! I'll look into those programs real soon, but right now it's too cumbersome to bring a laptop and tablet with me to work. Besides i'd get in a lot of trouble at work :P

Anyways, these things right here are just doodles I either finished a while back, or got bored with, or lost interest, or didn't know where to take it, or just ran out of steam haha! Instead of deleting them I thought i'd dump them here just cause!
    SqbYU.png

KJPyL.png

dM6kU.png

fbwku.png

siPux.png

NScn9.png

gl0R3.png

r4nUJ.png

cHprd.png

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well darn, looks like my DS broke on me. Looks like there won't be any painting for a while :(

This is about as far as I can take these pieces for now until I figure out what to do here

SDZcX.png

Ck1u2.png

LBdIi.png

6uDjm.png

VY4PN.png

Godfather on
  • Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    I love what I see here. I spent one semester starting all my digital images in Colors! drafts, and it really helped me loosen up and gain more confidence.
    It helps that v1.1 crashes occasionally, leaves glitch lines, etc….

My recommendation to you is to use your (3)DS often to capture things from life. It's critical that you note the difference between interpreting forms from reality and from the bastardization a 2D representation (i.e: photo reference) brings.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thank you Wahay, that is very helpful to hear! I'm glad Colors was a good way to set up your loose sketches; it's also been what has gotten me confidence when it comes to digi-painting :)

For now I just use my regular DS, which has just finished repairs today! I'm going to pick it up right now :o

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ah i'm sorry guys, i've been completely swamped with work and classwork as of late! Although i've stopped on my DS paintings temporarily, i've actually been doing a lot of painting, just on the computer instead. All i've done is this one piece (which I actually took along further to completion, but the file got corrupted in mid-save :? )

yaGjj.png?1

I'm actually posting this here so I can save this through my 3DS browser in order to port and finish it on the newer version of colors!

Godfather on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    there is something bothering me about her left asscheek, maybe being too prominent in comparison to the right one, or maybe the fact that is still not blured like the right one is playing tricks on me.
    Other than that, I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I remember fixing that when I polished it up last time; too bad the improved file crapped the bed on me :(

This painting was done with my 3DS, and actually works much better compositionally that way (mainly with the lighting/clouds) but whatev

pFO8C.jpg

Ummmmmmm this one's cause I was bored at work

Mh3fF.jpg

I'm too lazy/busy to polish it off right now

Godfather on
  • Options
    I still see the hand avoidance going on here. Hands are super expressive, so even if you are leaving them out purposefully, or finding reference pictures with out them, dont. seeing them blocked in here:
    LBdIi.png

Is much better, even if you struggle with them its better practice than leaving them out. In general it would be nice to see more paintings where "physically fit girl torso" isnt the focus.

• Options
    Oh i'm not trying to avoid them, i'm just focusing on pieces where the dominant subject is light and shade at the moment. The pieces I pick recently just happen to not feature them :)

I am working on another nude study that does incorporate hands, so no worries!

• Options
    Alright, calling it finished for now

gdyHr.jpg?1

• Options
    Quickie warm-up at work

_65157.jpg